HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Global Warming is Caused by Hell [Re: Green Cochoa] #118474
08/31/09 12:30 PM
08/31/09 12:30 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Would not the residents of Seattle be well-advised to see what they could to to help slow the train?

Why should the residents be advised concerning something that is of no concern to them? Why should they be alerted to something that isn't going to happen that all the control and capability is inherent in the mechanism of the train itself? I am having a hard time following and making sense out of your comments. Otherwise, why aren't there daily mandatory evacuations for Seattle for each train heading that way?

Quote:
From my perspective, 97% of unknown has a completely neutral effect on the 3% of known data--for it can neither establish, nor undermine the current facts.
Agreed.
Quote:
In fact, to base one's agnosticism of facts upon ignorance is...well, let me ask you this: how soon do you expect to know everything?
Agreed.
Quote:
If unknown/unestablished data remove the validity of "known" data, what can you ever hope to know?
Who says it removes the validity of known data? I'm objecting to using facts of known data to conjecture the unknown. Both, forward and backward.

What is so confusing of what you said is you even mention that the train may have had lots of mountains and valleys in the past which we don't know about. So why should we take a 3% "trend" (if you could even call it that) and wildly speculate what has happened during the past 97%? Why do you expect to know what's going to happen in the future if you know it has recovered in the past? How can you say the train is going to go at an extreme rate of speed upon reaching Seattle if you are ignorant of past knowledge, of internal mechanisms of control? Don't you think it is a little bit outrageous to evacuate Seattle, and when the train slowly rolls in to a stop, the engineer asks where did everyone go?

Re: Global Warming is Caused by Hell [Re: kland] #118476
08/31/09 01:21 PM
08/31/09 01:21 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Ah...perhaps herein lies our misunderstanding. I'm doing no speculation about what has happened in the past. I'm only recognizing the trend toward the future.

What I was trying to say was that the unknown data (which just happens to be in the past in this case), has no bearing upon future trends and current known data. Admittedly, we would like to know the past data. But just because we do not have it does not mean we cannot use what we have.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Global Warming is Caused by Hell [Re: Green Cochoa] #118482
08/31/09 02:15 PM
08/31/09 02:15 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
What I was trying to say was that the unknown data (which just happens to be in the past in this case), has no bearing upon future trends and current known data.

Oh, and I agree.

And if life on earth was only 159 years, I would agree there should be concern. But, we do know life has been doing just fine for a very large percentage longer. So, I am saying, how can we use 3% of end data, to determine what is going to happen in the future? Have you considered the conclusions if we should stop the end point in the 1970s? What if we used a different starting point? What if instead of 159 years, we used the last 10 years? Do you see my question - why is 159 useful but not some other number and why are any of these arbitrary numbers useful when they make up less than 3% of life's history?

Why do you say the train coming down the mountain reflects what the speed will be when it reaches Seattle?

Re: Global Warming is Caused by Hell [Re: kland] #118497
08/31/09 06:18 PM
08/31/09 06:18 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
There is the trend towards higher temperatures. But it does not stand alone. We have many other worrying trends that follows it. For instance, our corral reefs are dying due to high water temperatures. If this had happened regularely in the past, the corral reefs would be able to withstand the very moderate increases on sea temperature, only 2-4 degrees. But they dont. Why is that if there is nothing extraordinary in the current temperature increase?
Land and sea ice is melting everywhere. Ice that has been stable for, well ages would depend on your general view on that but at least for a significant number of thousands of years. How can there be huge reservoars of anicent ice if it melts off on a regular basis? And if it does not melt of regularely, and yet melts off now, is this not an extraordinary time? There are certainly other examples but these are the ones I come to think of.

To try and look at the train example, we have one scientist who is calculating the steady increase in speed of this train taking down the hill. We have another one who studies the trains brake system and finds out that the break oil has been leaking out since the train began to climb the mountain at the other side and there isnt enough effect left to reduce train speed effectively. Then a third scientist studies the rails and finds that someone has painted the entire track all the way down to Seattle with lard. Then if that was not enough, yet unconfirmed indications suggest that someone has stored a couple of sea containers filled with nitroglycerine and TNT in the train cargo. None of these would in itself be reason to evacuate Seattle, but all of them taken together? If I lived anywhere near the Seattle train station I would think seriously about going on vaccation out of town until that trian was stopped...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Global Warming is Caused by Hell [Re: vastergotland] #118567
09/01/09 03:38 PM
09/01/09 03:38 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Ice that has been stable for, well ages would depend on your general view on that but at least for a significant number of thousands of years. How can there be huge reservoars of anicent ice if it melts off on a regular basis? And if it does not melt of regularely, and yet melts off now, is this not an extraordinary time?

Ice reached down to the middle of the states. It hasn't been there for 100s of years. Yes, global warming has been happening, but long before man started pumping oil.

Quote:
To try and look at the train example, we have one scientist who is calculating the steady increase in speed of this train taking down the hill. We have another one who studies the trains brake system and finds out that the break oil has been leaking out since the train began to climb the mountain at the other side and there isnt enough effect left to reduce train speed effectively. Then a third scientist studies the rails and finds that someone has painted the entire track all the way down to Seattle with lard. Then if that was not enough, yet unconfirmed indications suggest that someone has stored a couple of sea containers filled with nitroglycerine and TNT in the train cargo. None of these would in itself be reason to evacuate Seattle, but all of them taken together? If I lived anywhere near the Seattle train station I would think seriously about going on vaccation out of town until that trian was stopped...

Excepting none of those things have been observed.

Re: Global Warming is Caused by Hell [Re: kland] #118576
09/01/09 04:08 PM
09/01/09 04:08 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: kland
Ice that has been stable for, well ages would depend on your general view on that but at least for a significant number of thousands of years. How can there be huge reservoars of anicent ice if it melts off on a regular basis? And if it does not melt of regularely, and yet melts off now, is this not an extraordinary time?

Ice reached down to the middle of the states. It hasn't been there for 100s of years. Yes, global warming has been happening, but long before man started pumping oil.
Yes, the temperature has been moving up and down in history. When we use the phrase "global warming" now, we are refering to aditional warming that goes beyond that which would naturally occur. But you already knew this of course.
Quote:

Quote:

Excepting none of those things have been observed.
Oh, but they have been observed. You just have not paid attention to them before.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Global Warming is Caused by Hell [Re: vastergotland] #118603
09/01/09 08:34 PM
09/01/09 08:34 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
When we use the phrase "global warming" now, we are refering to aditional warming that goes beyond that which would naturally occur. But you already knew this of course.

And that is what I am questioning. How can we know the 3% goes beyond the 97% of which we do not know?

GC and I were coming from the premise that we did not know the past history of the train. You seem to intend otherwise. Perhaps you can inform me (of that which I have not paid attention?) of some facts. The only fact I know of is that the temperature of something (air, water, pavement?) has increased within the last 3% of life's history depending upon which start and end points are arbitrarily chosen.

Re: Global Warming is Caused by Hell [Re: kland] #118608
09/01/09 09:05 PM
09/01/09 09:05 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I also am comming to your train metaphore with the assumption that nothing is known about its speed before the decent down the mountain side. I added that one thing was known from before that, namely that the break system had been leaking its break fluid. The leaking was observed in the present and knowing what level of fluid the breaks should have contained together with calculating the leakage speed give indication of how far back it has been dropping. Nothing extraordinary about that. The greased rails and highly explosive cargo is something which anyone can observe presently, no different from observing the increasing speed. Some examples of what these further observations to the train can stand for are given a couple of posts up.

Considering that the 3%/97% relates to known historical developments, these numbers need not be refered to at all for my statement which you quote. What it does refer to is that; if we have a greenhouse with a certain level of ventilation at the roof windows, and some of these windows are closed it is reasonable to conclude that this reduced ventilation is responcible for the increase in temperature inside of the greenhouse. If we have house with singleglas windows and change them to twoglas windows but still heat as much as before, there will be a higher temperature inside. Increasing the amount of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere equals reducing ventilation or added layers to a window. History comes in only at the level where we confirm that the levels are indeed higher today than yesteryear. This can for instance be done through air samples in glaciers.

Galatians 2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!