HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: Rick H] #119098
09/12/09 05:44 PM
09/12/09 05:44 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Richard
I went to a forum where they actually were debating the State of the Dead and getting it right, which kind of amazed me. But then I came across this debate and saw how some people are either confused or preaching a denial of Christ. As He is God, the great I AM, Jehovah, the Creator and Lord of the Sabbath, and to reject that is in my mind, is evil at work or worse.
if they are studying they are likely to come to wrong conclusions til they get it right.

Jehovah means eternal, self-existent. in this day and age, especially in america, names have no meaning, they are just what we are called by.

in bible days, and still in some countries, names have a meaning. names are a description, or hope, or whatever, for the child. sometimes the child is named for other reasons, such as ichabod and Benoni changed to benjamin by jacob.

the descriptor eternal, self-existent was to keep before the israelites that their Elohiym was different from the elohiym of the surrounding nations. the true Elohiym did not come into existence through birth, nature, warfare, etc. the Godhead always was and never went through any changes.

we need to keep in mind, also, the cultures present in bible days. since our neighboring countries generally do not have other "gods" we lose sight of the real picture of the ot and nt. having a knowledge of the gods and beliefs of the surrounding nations of those times helps put it all in perspective.

Quote:
Exo 19:10 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes,
Exo 19:11 And be ready against the third day: for the third day the LORD will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai.
here the eternal self-existent (translated Jehovah) in the first verse is the Son. in the second verse the eternal self-existent (translated Jehovah) refers to the Father.
Quote:
asv: Exo 19:10 And Jehovah said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to-day and to-morrow, and let them wash their garments,
Exo 19:11 and be ready against the third day; for the third day Jehovah will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai.
on the other hand in this verse
Quote:
Psa 110:1 <A Psalm of David.> The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
LORD (Jehovah) (eternal, self-existent) refers to the Father while Lord (to rule)(Adon) refers to the Son.

Quote:
Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
here it is saying the eternal, self-existent Gods (or Powers as ellen white and a hebrew scholar translate it), Father, Son and Holy Spirit created the earth and heavens. all three were present and active in this creation.

if we apply Jehovah to Jesus only, then we are doing away with the eternal, self-existence of the Father and Holy Spirit, not to mention being just a bit unbiblical.

but im sure everyone already knew all that somewhere in their minds. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: vastergotland] #119122
09/13/09 09:05 AM
09/13/09 09:05 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Originally Posted By: Colin

The new school of thought reigns, and now Jesus' divine, "begotten Sonship" "from the days of eternity", makes him less than God his Father, so it's not good enough for Jesus to be God's Son begotten in eternity past: he's a semi-god, this way. Well, it was good enough for our church living in the presence of the messenger of the Lord, and after she died, too: moreover, Jesus said so himself - if we can take him at his word and not interpret his words into figurative speculations.
Is not the part quoted above also a case of misrepresentation?

Thanks, Thomas:...you meant the bolded part in the context of the paragraph? No, that's straight from the horses mouth:
Quote:
“Far from suggesting that the Father generated or begat the Son as some sort of derived or created semigod, the imagery of Father and Son points to the eternal and profound intimacy that has always existed between the first and second persons of the Godhead as divine “equals” through all eternity (past, present, and future).” (Woodrow Whidden, The Trinity, page 97 ‘Biblical objections to the trinity’)

It is from the book co-written with fellow Seminarians Jerry Moon and John Reeve.

Earlier, on page 34-35 he writes that Jn 3:16 is interpreted by Arians and Semi-Arians against Trinitarianism as the Son being created or "sort of split off from the nature of the Father to form a separate divine person". The next sentence is:
Quote:
Thus both groups consider Jesus, the Son, to be an "inferior god", not a true and eternally pre-existing being such as the Father.

Do our scholars today seriously class SDAism up till 1957-80 as as believing Jesus, "the [only begotten] Son of the Eternal Father" - per our belief statements till 1914 and also in the 20s perhaps, to be an "inferior god"??? shocked Some may think of Jesus that way, but our historical writings are crystally clear on Jesus being equal with the Father in all matters of deity, while being begotten of God: indeed, fully divine and bodily of the Godhead because he is God's begotten Son. Jesus' deity is recognised by his Sonship, which carries full authority, etc.

Froom's Movement of Destiny is exposed by Whidden himself as not revealing the non-trinitarian-doctrinal beliefs of the early SDA church, but is he himself any fairer to history by classing our early church beliefs along side Mormons, etc?!

Whidden turns the issue, as it has to be by the tradition of the trinity doctrine, on the eternity of God. Where in the Bible does it say God and his begotten Son are co-eternal in the sense of this doctrine? "From the days of eternity" (Mic 5:2, marg.) isn't strictly co-eternal with the Father, of course, when applied to God begetting his Son (not forgetting Jn 1:1), but does the Bible shy away from God's Son being equal with his Father before the universe of creation that they formed together out of nothing, while it also has those words in Micah?

Try these two OT gems...:
Quote:
Prov 30:4 Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if thou canst tell?

Ps 2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

The Bible is consistent in God having a begotten Son, who is God, too, as Heb 1 also spells out. Our SDA Church was clear on this, but not anymore...

The trinity doctrine is the trouble for Christendom, not the Biblical truth of a trinity of personalities, the Spirit being the least revealed and appearing differently to Father and Son. The deity of Jesus is undiminished by his Sonship being begotten of his Father in the days of eternity, as our church published throughout Ellen White's lifetime, and her writings too, and beyond her lifetime by those who refused the doctrinal tradition adopted in 'its own form' by us - our trinitarianism differs vastly in certain points with the Nicene Creed orthodoxy. That detail isn't for this thread, of course.

Does SDAism's adoption of its own form of the trinity doctrine render non-doctrinal beliefs in the Biblical revelation of three persons of the Godhead invalid? Specifically, does the Son of God have to be as absolutely eternal as his Father, as that doctrine demands, when the Bible doesn't insist on it? To the Word and to the Testimony, and that includes being fair to Ellen White for her Biblical authority.

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: teresaq] #119123
09/13/09 10:04 AM
09/13/09 10:04 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Teresa
if we apply Jehovah to Jesus only, then we are doing away with the eternal, self-existence of the Father and Holy Spirit, not to mention being just a bit unbiblical.

Yes, Jehovah/Yahweh is the 'primary' name of God, yet the Spirit only imparts the truths of God to us and isn't revealed in Scripture as being worshiped, while definitely submitted to but that too is in Jesus' name. Thank you for the reminder from those texts that Father Son and Holy Spirit work together in creation and redemption: this though is not the basis on which they are one - merely the demonstration of their holiness.

They are one because they are of one nature, the Godhead, the Son of the Father and "the Spirit in the fulness of the Godhead", of the Father and the Son each personally, individually, being their omnipresence with us, etc, also sustaining creation generally by the power of the creative word of the Son.

The self-existence is confirmed by Jn 5:26 and his harmonious character with his Father since before creation by Jn 17:5. The eternity of Christ's Sonship of God is in Mic 5:2, yet that results in relative co-eternity because of non-co-exitence (always Father and Son isn't taught).

The Godhead isn't based on being eternal but on holiness. Simply put, while the Father is absolutely eternal for certain, eternity itself is a created entity, not equal to God - who is above it too, nor a requirement of the Bible for God's Son to be equal to God his Father, who is absolutely eternal. Also, the Word of God of Jn 1:1 is God from the beginning of Bible revelation - part of the Godhead but most likely in the Father before begotten as God's Son in "the days of eternity" (Mic 5:2, marg.)

Jesus is the "I AM", too, as God's Son.

See my comments just posted, too.

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: Colin] #119125
09/13/09 01:37 PM
09/13/09 01:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
and "the Spirit in the fulness of the Godhead", of the Father and the Son each personally, individually, being their omnipresence with us, etc,

Colin, what I don't understand is how "the omnipresence" of two persons can be classified as a third person.

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: Rosangela] #119126
09/13/09 01:51 PM
09/13/09 01:51 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Or how two deities can be one God only by sharing goals...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: Rosangela] #119130
09/13/09 04:27 PM
09/13/09 04:27 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
and "the Spirit in the fulness of the Godhead", of the Father and the Son each personally, individually, being their omnipresence with us, etc,

Colin, what I don't understand is how "the omnipresence" of two persons can be classified as a third person.

It is an infinite Spirit for a start, so is present beyond their personal bodies, whose Spirit it is, and has personality traits when representing them to us. Difficult to grasp, I know, so I just believe it as the Bible reveals it.

As for "omnipresence" and "third person", both are Ellen White's own words and contexts.

Remember, too, that she also says the Spirit is a different type of person than Father and Son, being their living Spirit of the Godhead the Father and Son are bodily of but the Spirit bodily isn't of, i.e. has no body but is rather "the Spirit of the Godhead" thus of God and Christ's bodies, separately and of each: one infinite Spirit of one Godhead/divine nature. That's what we're told in the Bible and SOP, and more we cannot know.

No questions re Christ's deity in my comments? smile

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: Colin] #119135
09/13/09 06:02 PM
09/13/09 06:02 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:

It is an infinite Spirit for a start, so is present beyond their personal bodies, whose Spirit it is, and has personality traits when representing them to us. Difficult to grasp, I know, so I just believe it as the Bible reveals it.

As for "omnipresence" and "third person", both are Ellen White's own words and contexts.

Remember, too, that she also says the Spirit is a different type of person than Father and Son, being their living Spirit of the Godhead the Father and Son are bodily of but the Spirit bodily isn't of, i.e. has no body but is rather "the Spirit of the Godhead" thus of God and Christ's bodies, separately and of each: one infinite Spirit of one Godhead/divine nature. That's what we're told in the Bible and SOP, and more we cannot know.

No questions re Christ's deity in my comments? smile
the pioneers believed the Holy Spirit to be Gods representative. i would say that makes their understanding essentially different from the antitriniarians.

a "representative" is an entity separate and distinct from the person, not a part of him/herself.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: Colin] #119137
09/13/09 06:53 PM
09/13/09 06:53 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
... that's straight from the horses mouth:
Quote:
“Far from suggesting that the Father generated or begat the Son as some sort of derived or created semigod, the imagery of Father and Son points to the eternal and profound intimacy that has always existed between the first and second persons of the Godhead as divine “equals” through all eternity (past, present, and future).” (Woodrow Whidden, The Trinity, page 97 ‘Biblical objections to the trinity’)
It is from the book co-written with fellow Seminarians Jerry Moon and John Reeve.

Earlier, on page 34-35 he writes that Jn 3:16 is interpreted by Arians and Semi-Arians against Trinitarianism as the Son being created or "sort of split off from the nature of the Father to form a separate divine person". The next sentence is:
Quote:
Thus both groups consider Jesus, the Son, to be an "inferior god", not a true and eternally pre-existing being such as the Father.
from The Great Empires of Prophecy From Babylon to the Fall of Rome Alonzo Trevier Jones 1898 CHAPTER XXXIII
Quote:
12. From these statements by the originators of the respective sides (trinity vs arian)of this controversy, it appears that with the exception of a single point, the two views were identical, only being stated in different ways. The single point where the difference lay was that Alexander held that the Son was begotten of the very essence of the Father, and is therefore of the same substance with the Father; while Arius held that the Son was begotten by the Father, not from His own essence, but from nothing; but that when He was thus begotten, He was, and is, of precisely the like substance with the Father.

13. Whether the Son of God, therefore, is of the same substance,

or only of like substance, with the Father, was the question in dispute.

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: teresaq] #119138
09/13/09 07:11 PM
09/13/09 07:11 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Trinity/Trinity_001.htm

Quote:
The Father is from no one; the Son is from the Father only; and the Holy Spirit is from both the Father and the Son equally. God has no beginning; He always is, and always will be. The Father is the progenitor, the Son is the begotten, the Holy Spirit is proceeding.

Quote:
The Father in eternally begetting the Son gave Him His own substance...

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: teresaq] #119141
09/14/09 12:31 AM
09/14/09 12:31 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
The Father in eternally begetting the Son gave Him His own substance...

"Eternally begetting" isn't what it appears, in Nicene reasoning.

It means an eternally ongoing begetting, not a one-off event.

Arius differed from Alexander not just on same and like substance, but on method of begetting: Arius tried to pinpoint the time in eternity past when the Son was begotten of the Father as a separate person, what sort of persons I can't quote him on as his library was torched after the Nicene Council - his views survive in letters to friends. "Like substance" in that context meaning same but separate person. Alexander's idea, formulated by Athanasius, was same substance of two "personae" who are personally joined and not separate in that mystical substance of the being of the One God.

Those "personae" also are certainly not like persons as we think of persons, having neither bodies nor physical parts, but merely "centres of consciousness": thus the Son is eternally being begotten by the Father without leaving or separating from the Father in the same substance with him. Not a pretty picture, but that's the reality of the notion of Nicene consubstantiality.

Our pioneers were on Arius' side for the most part, opting for two separate persons based on a literal begetting; where we differed was forbidding any pinpointing of a time in eternity past for when God's Son was begotten of his Father: Ellen White was unanimous with them, her contemporaries, and many believed it beyond her death, like Judson Washburn, Charles Longacre and W R French, all of whom survived well past the 2nd WW.

Anti-trinitarian as our pioneers' stance was, and ours also who take their stance, today still: this version of anti-trinitarianism is against the traditional doctrine's errors, not the number of divine personalities involved. Is confessing the truth of the Godhead or allowing the word trinity but taking time to distinguish from the orthodox tradition, easier?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!