HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 105 1 2 3 4 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: teresaq] #119194
09/15/09 05:38 AM
09/15/09 05:38 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
hmmm, perhaps you were in a hurry as you read.

Personal attack, not related to the topic.

You are quick to report others, but you indulge in it yourself. I will report you.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: teresaq] #119195
09/15/09 05:49 AM
09/15/09 05:49 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Teresaq,
We can do without the jabs..

Quote:

Teresaq:hmmm, perhaps you were in a hurry as you read. no wonder the confusion.

Lets try and keep the gloves up.

God Bless,
-Will

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #119199
09/15/09 08:22 AM
09/15/09 08:22 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I don't see this as being one or the other

The lost will experience unutterable emotional woe as the truth of their decisions becomes starkly plain
AND
there will be a fire that will cleanse the earth of all sin and sinners and remove all trace sin.

Rev. 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

" beyond this life stands the tribunal of the judgment, with its award of eternal penalties. "They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God," but with Satan and evil angels shall have their part in that "lake of fire" which "is the second death." Galatians 5:21; Revelation 20:14. {PP 461.1}

"God will cleanse the earth from its moral corruption, not by a sea of water as in Noah's day, but by a sea of fire that cannot be quenched by any human devising. {COL 179.1}

Mal. 4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 Peter 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of...the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up....12 wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

"When the flood of waters was at its height upon the earth, it had the appearance of a boundless lake of water. When God finally purifies the earth, it will appear like a boundless lake of fire. As God preserved the ark amid the commotions of the Flood, because it contained eight righteous persons, He will preserve the New Jerusalem, containing the faithful of all ages, from righteous Abel down to the last saint which lived. Although the whole earth, with the exception of that portion where the city rests, will be wrapped in a sea of liquid fire, yet the city is preserved as was the ark, by a miracle of Almighty power. It stands unharmed amid the devouring elements (3SG 87). {7BC 986.5}

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #119205
09/15/09 10:14 AM
09/15/09 10:14 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes, Smith put it like we used to and do still believe it to be, asygo and Teresa and Tom. I like your points, asygo and Teresa; clearly, Tom, you may well differ with us. Punishment is part of judgement and God shall render according to our works.

If one wants to decipher what we no longer 'like' of Smith, compare the revision of at least 1944 with the last original of 1902. The 1911 and 1919, British, editions aren't as decisive as the 1944 revision.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #119209
09/15/09 01:24 PM
09/15/09 01:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
T:Regarding "Torment, yes, but not eternal," I think this is what teresa had in mind by saying "a variation of eternal torment." The variation would be the time element.

A:That's an interesting way to put it. Kind of like saying we believe a "variation of once saved always saved" with the variation on the "always saved" element. I guess....

I don't think you understood the point. I'll try to be more clear.

Here is a description of the eternal torment idea:

Quote:
Satan is seeking to overcome men today, as he overcame our first parents, by shaking their confidence in their Creator and leading them to doubt the wisdom of His government and the justice of His laws. Satan and his emissaries represent God as even worse than themselves, in order to justify their own malignity and rebellion. The great deceiver endeavors to shift his own horrible cruelty of character upon our heavenly Father, that he may cause himself to appear as one greatly wronged by his expulsion from heaven because he would not submit to so unjust a governor. He presents before the world the liberty which they may enjoy under his mild sway, in contrast with the bondage imposed by the stern decrees of Jehovah. Thus he succeeds in luring souls away from their allegiance to God.

How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in an eternally burning hell; that for the sins of a brief earthly life they are to suffer torture as long as God shall live....

Where, in the pages of God's word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage? No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11. (GC 534, 535)

Is the only difference between the truth and the description presented here the time element? Or are the elements of cruelty in the eternal torment idea which are not simply due to the duration that the wicked will be tortured?

Quote:
A:In any case, if we will hold to Smith's quote, then we indeed do believe in eternal torment for the lost, except for the eternal part.

This is what is being questioned. Your view, as I understand it, is just as cruel as the eternal torment view, except for the time element. So the depictions of GC 534, 535 would apply as much to the idea you're presenting, if I'm understanding it correctly, as to the eternal torment idea, except for the tortures being of limited duration.

Quote:
First, there is bodily suffering. Second, whatever that bodily suffering will be is "an unnoticed trifle compared with the mental agony" that the lost will suffer. IOW, don't worry about the burning; there will be much worse things than that.

For example, here. Are you suggesting that the bodies of the wicked will be burning? And while they are burning, God will be punishing them with something so much worse that the burning will be a trifle? If so, it's difficult to imagine a picture of God's character more cruel than this. I sincerely hope I've misunderstood you.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Colin] #119210
09/15/09 01:29 PM
09/15/09 01:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Colin
Yes, Smith put it like we used to and do still believe it to be, asygo and Teresa and Tom. I like your points, asygo and Teresa; clearly, Tom, you may well differ with us. Punishment is part of judgement and God shall render according to our works.

If one wants to decipher what we no longer 'like' of Smith, compare the revision of at least 1944 with the last original of 1902. The 1911 and 1919, British, editions aren't as decisive as the 1944 revision.

I'm confused regarding this post. First of all, I believe God will punish the wicked, and will render to each one according to their works. You seem to be confused in regards to my position on these points, based on your comment ("Punishment is part" etc., following your comment that I differ).

Secondly, just what is it you think teresa, I, and Arnold believe? A specific point of interest to me is if you (or anyone) thinks the wicked will be literal set on fire, and be suffering for many hours or many days in this condition.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Will] #119217
09/15/09 03:34 PM
09/15/09 03:34 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
sometimes im busy with other things (in a hurry) or distracted and dont always catch every point of a post hence my comment. so im clueless as to why it was perceived as any kind of personal attack or jab.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: teresaq] #119222
09/15/09 04:00 PM
09/15/09 04:00 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Teresaq,
Its perceived as a jab cause you make the person sound like they are dense, thick headed, not smart.
You yourself just said:
Quote:

sometimes im busy with other things (in a hurry) or distracted and dont always catch every point of a post hence my comment.

Back to the topic at hand. I don't want to read another comment about he said she said.

Please return to the topic if you choose to participate. If not thats fine too.

God Bless,
Will

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Colin] #119223
09/15/09 04:18 PM
09/15/09 04:18 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA

smith is teaching against the "degrees of suffering in burning" in favor of "degrees in mental suffering".

in combating the eternal torment doctrine the pioneers stressed that eternal death was the penalty of sin, not prolonged burning.

is that what you understand from their writings or are you referring to something else?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: teresaq] #119225
09/15/09 04:39 PM
09/15/09 04:39 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq

smith is teaching against the "degrees of suffering in burning" in favor of "degrees in mental suffering".

in combating the eternal torment doctrine the pioneers stressed that eternal death was the penalty of sin, not prolonged burning.

is that what you understand from their writings or are you referring to something else?

Yes, she clearly, elsewhere, writes of the proportionate punishment according to their works of the wicked, some burning longer or suffering more than others, the devil the last to die: indeed, mental anguish shall outweigh physical suffering, and for a limited time, per God's just discretion in judgement. Real fire, burned to ashes, and the new earth recreated out of those ashes, as Malachi also states somewhere of the saints walking on the ashes of the wicked.

Page 2 of 105 1 2 3 4 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!