HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 105 1 2 3 4 5 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Will] #119226
09/15/09 04:47 PM
09/15/09 04:47 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Will
Teresaq,
Its perceived as a jab cause you make the person sound like they are dense, thick headed, not smart.
You yourself just said:
Quote:
sometimes im busy with other things (in a hurry) or distracted and dont always catch every point of a post hence my comment.

Back to the topic at hand. I don't want to read another comment about he said she said.

Please return to the topic if you choose to participate. If not thats fine too.
my apologies for prolonging this...i realize that on discussion boards making amends or righting wrongs, as in apologizing in this case, is a relatively unknown concept but i cannot do so until i understand how i have offended.

i do not consider myself as
Quote:
dense, thick headed, not smart
when im in a hurry and sometimes misread or misunderstand the intent of a post

but if the impression given was that i was saying someone else was
Quote:
dense, thick headed, not smart
then i do sincerely apologize.

from what i understand of the counsel given public blunders should be acknowledged publicly and so i do.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: teresaq] #119230
09/15/09 05:26 PM
09/15/09 05:26 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I have asked to return to the topic. I will not indulge, nor entertain you.
God Bless,
Will

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Colin] #119234
09/15/09 06:09 PM
09/15/09 06:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Colin:Yes, she clearly, elsewhere, writes of the proportionate punishment according to their works of the wicked, some burning longer or suffering more than others, the devil the last to die: indeed, mental anguish shall outweigh physical suffering, and for a limited time, per God's just discretion in judgement. Real fire, burned to ashes, and the new earth recreated out of those ashes, as Malachi also states somewhere of the saints walking on the ashes of the wicked.

Is it your understanding is that the wicked will be literally set on fire? For days or hours? And they're set on fire proportionately to their sin?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119272
09/16/09 04:17 AM
09/16/09 04:17 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Here is a description of the eternal torment idea:

Quote:
Satan is seeking to overcome men today, as he overcame our first parents, by shaking their confidence in their Creator and leading them to doubt the wisdom of His government and the justice of His laws. Satan and his emissaries represent God as even worse than themselves, in order to justify their own malignity and rebellion. The great deceiver endeavors to shift his own horrible cruelty of character upon our heavenly Father, that he may cause himself to appear as one greatly wronged by his expulsion from heaven because he would not submit to so unjust a governor. He presents before the world the liberty which they may enjoy under his mild sway, in contrast with the bondage imposed by the stern decrees of Jehovah. Thus he succeeds in luring souls away from their allegiance to God.

How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in an eternally burning hell; that for the sins of a brief earthly life they are to suffer torture as long as God shall live....

Where, in the pages of God's word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage? No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11. (GC 534, 535)

Is the only difference between the truth and the description presented here the time element? Or are the elements of cruelty in the eternal torment idea which are not simply due to the duration that the wicked will be tortured?

What does the "such teaching" in the passage refer to?

As for "elements of cruelty" in either view, that's a very subjective judgment. Some people think I'm cruel for not letting my kids run my house. But regardless of what you and I think may be cruel, what God says will happen is what's going to happen. He is not limited by our ideas of right and wrong.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119274
09/16/09 04:30 AM
09/16/09 04:30 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Your view, as I understand it, is just as cruel as the eternal torment view, except for the time element. So the depictions of GC 534, 535 would apply as much to the idea you're presenting, if I'm understanding it correctly, as to the eternal torment idea, except for the tortures being of limited duration.

Doesn't your view include torment for the lost? Sure, limited duration, but torment nonetheless.

But, you might say, in your view the torment comes from the sinner's mental anguish upon the realization of his true condition. I say, so what? Is the mental anguish of your view more or less painful than the physical pain of being burned? Furthermore, is the mental anguish of your view more or less painful than just being allowed to remain permanently dead, as opposed to being resurrected and having to see God, the saved, the New Jerusalem, then finally suffering through mental anguish of such magnitude that it proves fatal even to Satan, who was able to survive all these years separated from God?

It seems that while you recoil at the idea of the lost literally burning, you prefer the idea of their brains exploding from the inside out, through a process that makes clear to them the poor choices they have made. Kind of like recounting someone's failures to them until you drive them insane. Cruel? Some would say so.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119276
09/16/09 04:33 AM
09/16/09 04:33 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Are you suggesting that the bodies of the wicked will be burning? And while they are burning, God will be punishing them with something so much worse that the burning will be a trifle? If so, it's difficult to imagine a picture of God's character more cruel than this.

What did Jesus experience? While we know that He suffered great physical trauma, was His suffering primarily physical?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #119318
09/16/09 11:44 PM
09/16/09 11:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:What does the "such teaching" in the passage refer to?

To this:

Quote:
The great deceiver endeavors to shift his own horrible cruelty of character upon our heavenly Father, that he may cause himself to appear as one greatly wronged by his expulsion from heaven because he would not submit to so unjust a governor. He presents before the world the liberty which they may enjoy under his mild sway, in contrast with the bondage imposed by the stern decrees of Jehovah. Thus he succeeds in luring souls away from their allegiance to God.

At least this, in context, needs to be included, IMO.

Quote:
As for "elements of cruelty" in either view, that's a very subjective judgment. Some people think I'm cruel for not letting my kids run my house. But regardless of what you and I think may be cruel, what God says will happen is what's going to happen. He is not limited by our ideas of right and wrong.

I don't think considering setting someone on fire and keeping him burning for hours or days on end is cruel is particularly subjective. It's hard to imagine anyone not considering this to be cruel or Satanic. It sounds exactly like something Satan would do, or inspire one to do. Indeed, in the Middle Ages people tried to do this very thing, to figure out how to prolong a person's life, so they could be burned at the stake for a longer period of time, to make the suffering last longer. Of course, they weren't literally set on fire, which would kill a person very quickly, but the idea is similar.

Quote:
A:Your view, as I understand it, is just as cruel as the eternal torment view, except for the time element. So the depictions of GC 534, 535 would apply as much to the idea you're presenting, if I'm understanding it correctly, as to the eternal torment idea, except for the tortures being of limited duration.

T:Doesn't your view include torment for the lost? Sure, limited duration, but torment nonetheless.

I don't see God as arbitrarily causing torment to the lost at all, even for a limited duration. The torment they suffer is of their own doing.

Quote:
But, you might say, in your view the torment comes from the sinner's mental anguish upon the realization of his true condition. I say, so what?

So what? You don't perceive a difference between arbitrarily (i.e. by imposition) causing pain to someone else and their suffering pain because of an action they take themselves?

Quote:
Is the mental anguish of your view more or less painful than the physical pain of being burned?

I can think of nothing that would be less painful than being set on fire.

Quote:
A:Furthermore, is the mental anguish of your view more or less painful than just being allowed to remain permanently dead, as opposed to being resurrected and having to see God, the saved, the New Jerusalem, then finally suffering through mental anguish of such magnitude that it proves fatal even to Satan, who was able to survive all these years separated from God?

The issue is if God is acting cruelly, and arbitrarily torturing individuals He's selected for such treatment. Regarding my view, it sounds as if you're suggesting that having any judgment at all is cruel on God's part?

Quote:
It seems that while you recoil at the idea of the lost literally burning,

Of course. Don't you? This begs the same question Ellen White asked:

Quote:
Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage?

Even to be discussing the possibility that a person who professes to love God and believe that He was perfectly revealed by Jesus Christ would set people on fire for hours or days is just dumbfounding to me. I cannot conceive of how a person could think this.

Quote:
you prefer the idea of their brains exploding from the inside out, through a process that makes clear to them the poor choices they have made. Kind of like recounting someone's failures to them until you drive them insane. Cruel? Some would say so.

Arnold, you seem intent on thinking that God must act cruelly. Your defense to my suggestion that your view is cruel is that mine is to, and you're suggesting this in a preposterous way: "you prefer the idea of their brains exploding from the inside out". This is certainly not anything I've suggested, which you're, of course, aware of.

I'm suggesting that God does not act cruelly at all. Not even 1%.

In the GC passage pages 541-543 EGW discusses the principles of the judgment. She brings out that the principles of love and mercy are used by God in the judgment. She points out that the judgment of the wicked takes place for their own good. I cannot see how your view cold possibly be construed as God's doing something for their own good. How could setting them on fire for hours or days of the end be for their own good? What possible purpose could there be for burning someone?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119319
09/16/09 11:46 PM
09/16/09 11:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Are you suggesting that the bodies of the wicked will be burning? And while they are burning, God will be punishing them with something so much worse that the burning will be a trifle? If so, it's difficult to imagine a picture of God's character more cruel than this.

A:What did Jesus experience? While we know that He suffered great physical trauma, was His suffering primarily physical?

I have inferred from your response that you believe God will literally set people on fire for hours or days on end. Before discussing this further, I would like you to confirm that I've understood your response to this point correctly.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119320
09/17/09 01:20 AM
09/17/09 01:20 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

I don't think considering setting someone on fire and keeping him burning for hours or days on end is cruel is particularly subjective.

Consider taking someone who has irrevocably chosen to be separated from God, such as Lucifer, and making him live with the consequences of that decision for thousands of years before putting him out of his misery. Wouldn't you say that living in opposition to God for millennia causes quite a bit of suffering? Which causes more suffering: physically burn for a few days or live in conscious and constant rebellion against God for 6 thousand years? Which is more "cruel"?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119322
09/17/09 01:36 AM
09/17/09 01:36 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
A:Your view, as I understand it, is just as cruel as the eternal torment view, except for the time element. So the depictions of GC 534, 535 would apply as much to the idea you're presenting, if I'm understanding it correctly, as to the eternal torment idea, except for the tortures being of limited duration.

T:Doesn't your view include torment for the lost? Sure, limited duration, but torment nonetheless.

I don't see God as arbitrarily causing torment to the lost at all, even for a limited duration. The torment they suffer is of their own doing.

Quote:
But, you might say, in your view the torment comes from the sinner's mental anguish upon the realization of his true condition. I say, so what?

So what? You don't perceive a difference between arbitrarily (i.e. by imposition) causing pain to someone else and their suffering pain because of an action they take themselves?

The issue is if God is acting cruelly, and arbitrarily torturing individuals He's selected for such treatment. Regarding my view, it sounds as if you're suggesting that having any judgment at all is cruel on God's part?

Hold on here. You do agree with me that when the saved are in Heaven during the Millennium, the lost are dead on Earth, yes? Dead, no pain, not knowing anything, right?

Yet, you have them, at some future time, coming back to life and suffering untold mental anguish. Who is able to bring the dead back to life, enabling them to suffer such mental anguish? Only God. I trust you do not disagree.

Whether the suffering is imposed or innate, the fact is that God gives the lost the ability to experience it.

God could just as easily judge them while they are dead. In fact, that's near the top of the to-do list during the Millennium. Once the universe has seen the justice of God's judgment, what's the point of bringing them back? Just so they could suffer the anguish of knowing what they have lost, then die?

I'm not suggesting God acts cruelly. I just try to figure out what He's going to do, and trust that He is good. Unlike Lucifer and Eve, I do not want to give myself the job of judging whether or not God is right. That job has a terrible retirement package.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 3 of 105 1 2 3 4 5 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!