HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12114
01/13/05 11:37 AM
01/13/05 11:37 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I don't think I've posted on this before. I also believe God never intended sin to exist. I scanned your summary Tom on Jan 12 of Mike's position. If those are direct quotes I also see some trouble with them.

Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12115
01/13/05 02:12 PM
01/13/05 02:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
I don't believe it was possible for sin to exist before God created beings who could sin.

At least we agree on this point. I did notice though that you used the word “He” instead of “They” when referring to the Godhead before They created free moral agents, which makes me wonder what you believe about the Trinity. But that’s another topic.

quote:
… hence destroying sinners is not sufficient to destroy sin, since it could arise again.

I disagree. Destroying sinners is more than sufficient to eliminate sin and sinning.

quote:
… it is the cross which guarantees that sin will never arise again.

Yes and no. The cross is what motivates the redeemed to not sin, but it is the foreknowledge and promise of God that guarantees affliction will not arise the second time. See Nahum 1:9.

Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12116
01/13/05 02:21 PM
01/13/05 02:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Mark, in the course of studying with Tom I have made strong statements to make a point. If you haven't read through this thread, from the beginning, then maybe you can answer this question:

Since sinning was not possible before the Godhead created free moral agents, and since They knew in advance that one third of the angels would choose to sin, and that Adam and Eve would also choose to sin, and since They chose to create these free moral agents in spite of these facts - Did the Godhead introduce a situation where sin and death were inevitable?

Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12117
01/13/05 05:52 PM
01/13/05 05:52 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
God, or They, created other beings, angels, etc. in spite of the eventual entrance of sin, not to bring about sin, but to bring about other free-willed beings with whom to fellowship with.

It's kind of hard to fellowship with a robot.

Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12118
01/13/05 08:23 PM
01/13/05 08:23 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark: Yes, they are all direct quotes.

Daryl: Right. God created beings with free will, which includes the risk that they would use that free will to rebel against Him, which is unfortunately what happened.

Mike: The common way of referring to God is "He." In Portuguese, Catholics use the plural voice to address God, but Adventists do not. I would suspect that practice is common to other languages as well. In English the common way to refer to the Godhead is "He." Does Ellen White ever refer to God as "they"? I don't believe so. I'd certainly be interested in seeing an example of this. (I'd be shocked if there were such an example; she talks about the three persons of the Godhead - Father, Son and Holy Ghost, but to my knowledge never uses a plural pronoun to refer to God).

Admin people: Every other forum I attend has the "Preview" buton on the left, and the "Post" button on the right, which from time to time, when I don't make a conscious effort, leads me to make posts when I'm trying to review them. This is just an observation.

Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12119
01/15/05 03:04 PM
01/15/05 03:04 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
"The task is to discover the truth, and not to start with an allegation and then require others to prove it wrong."

Boblee said,
quote:
Actually, that procedure is very close to inductive logic on which most scientific knowledge is based. After data is recorded, a guess is made as to how the data should be interpreted. Then that interpretation is expanded to areas not yet known. Next new data is taken in the field of the expansion to see if the interpretation is correct. If not you start over. If so, you have the beginnings of new knowledge.

That procedure, called the scientific method, can be applied to learning scripture as well as to knowledge of the physical world. So Mike's statement is not as unreasonable as it sounds.

That is very true in respect to orphaned Science. They have no one to learn from, you see. And if that is the case we are all doomed, for it is written.
Isa 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
Isa 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

But we are not orphans. Chist said Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Christ already came and disproved that allegation, with his life and death, and now he invites us to learn of him. He is the way, the truth, and the life. And from him we can learn it.

Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12120
01/19/05 01:03 AM
01/19/05 01:03 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
John,

Why did you say "orphaned Science?" Are you biased concerning the way God expects us to learn about what He created? When God said "come let us reason together" (Is 1:18), what do you think He meant? God started out our civilization by asking Adam to name the animals (Gen 2:19). By your thinking, God should have informed Adam what the names of the animals were. Throughout scripture, God seems to want us to learn from experience, not by decree.

Actually, you changed the subject. God did indeed pass on information about various subjects. He still does through His Spirit (John 16:13-15). But He doesn't pass on information about every subject, even spiritual subjects. Also through various redactors and translators, what God meant by what He said is often obscure to us. It is through logic and reasoning (basically the same method scientists use to make sense of the universe) that we come to an understanding of what God was trying to tell us. We know, of course, that God gave Mrs. White illumination on many subjects which have guided the Adventist church through many difficulties. But are you aware that God never gave visions to her on any subject until she and others had studied the Bible (using methods like I was pointing out) until they felt they understood it thoroughly or could go no further?

So please don't denigrate the method God gave us for learning.

RL

Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12121
01/22/05 12:23 AM
01/22/05 12:23 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
I do not wish to derail this topic Boblee,
quote:
Are you biased concerning the way God expects us to learn about what He created? When God said "come let us reason together" (Is 1:18), what do you think He meant?
He meant that we should not be reasoning apart from him. It is this apart from him reasoning that makes our sins as scarlet, but reasoning with him makes us white as snow.
Psa 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.
Psa 32:9 Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

As far as Science, I think it is fairly commonly known that they have taken the basis that God does not exist (with a few exceptions).

But putting this topic back on track,

Mike's question. "Was sin or sinning possible before the Godhead created free moral agents?"

I would like to ask a counter-question

Did God create free moral agents with the possibility and ability to live without sin or sinning? Was it possible for created free moral agents to live without sinning?

Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12122
01/22/05 02:17 AM
01/22/05 02:17 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
I think this is a pertinent thought in this topic.

When God created man, Satan was not banished to this planet. He had full roam of heaven, only he had lost his position of covering cherub. On this planet he was not allowed anywhere but the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The rest of the planet was under the dominion and authority of Man. After man fell then it was that Satan took the dominion and authority from man.

It was not until the cross that Satan and his angels were cast out of heaven and there was no more room found for him in heaven, but he had plenty of recipients here on earth.

Re: Was it God's intention that sin exist? #12123
01/22/05 03:10 AM
01/22/05 03:10 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
John,

Thank you for your reasoned response. You had me worried for a moment. Back to the main subject, though, let me voice an opinion with some prelude:

You asked, "Was it possible for created free moral agents to live without sinning?" It seems that there are several opinions of what "sin" or "sinning" really is. Some have promoted the thought that "missing the mark" is sin. But isn't that the essence of all engineering work? You try something and see if it works. If not, try something else. Keep trying until you find what does work. Ideally, you learn from each experiment that not only leads to answers to the problem you are trying to solve, but leads to answers to related questions as well. When Edison, for instance, was accused of learning nothing from trying 500 materials with which to make light bulb filaments, he replied that he had learned a lot: he now knew of 500 materials which don't work!

Others have suggested that intangibles such as worry, procrastination, fear, anger, distrust, etc. constitute sin. But what does the Bible say about sin? There are two concepts to consider. First is the concept outlined in I John 5:13 ff which basically says there are two kinds of sin. One is unto death and the other one IS NOT unto death. In all the sermons, books, papers, and discussions I have encountered, I have never heard this concept discussed. It is interesting, and a lot more could be said about the two kinds of sin and the two kinds of law that I believe they represent.

However, the second concept seems to answer your question more succinctly. It is found in I John 3:4 which says "sin is lawlessness." Woops, did I hear you say, "that's not what the Bible says?" Herein, I believe is the big problem in our paradigm of salvation. If you go back to the original Greek of that text, you will find it should be translated as I quoted it. All modern translations use some version of "lawlessness" instead of "transgression of the law." Notice, transgression is something you do. An action, an activity, movement. Thus from King James mistranslation of this text, we commonly think of sin as wrongdoing. Or perhaps of thinking the wrong way or of the way we feel. But what of lawlessness? There are, perhaps, some elements of action, but the basis of lawlessness is our attitude. As Jesus said, hating is the real sin, not the murder and lusting is the basis of adultery. Notice that murder and adultery can be forgiven, but how do you pardon hatred or lust? Much can be said about this concept also including its relation to the first concept I mentioned, but let's see how your question fits into these concepts.

If we can agree that the sin which separates us from God is an attitude of rebellion or resistance or disobedience, we've greatly narrowed the question. Throughout scriptures I find God urging us to control our attitude, so I feel it must be possible. But that covers the rest of your question. Therefore it must be possible for created free moral agents to live without sinning? Furthermore, I believe it is also possible for us today to live out our lives without sinning.

RL

Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!