HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 70 of 105 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122552
01/02/10 06:26 PM
01/02/10 06:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Sin isn't deadly on its own. God is the agent who will cause the eternal death of the sinners. This is proven by the actions that God was required to take against Adam and Eve, in forcing them to depart from the Garden of Eden, so as not to partake of the Tree of Life and become immortal sinners. The very fact that the possibility of an immortal sinner existed is proof that sin itself is not deadly.

Amen! Nevertheless, Tom strongly opposes this point. He believes God does something (not sure what) that prevents sinners from dying naturally the instant they sin. In judgment, God will simply stop doing whatever He does to prevent sin from killing them and then sin will kill them. The more sin they have the longer they will live and suffer. God's physical presence is unnecessary. Somehow God's character plays a part but Tom hasn't clearly explained how.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122558
01/03/10 12:22 AM
01/03/10 12:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GreenCocha
This appears to be the only part of my earlier post you disagreed with...is that correct?

I'm not sure. It's what I noticed.

Quote:
I guess I would answer your statement with a question:

Can we also say that God is love, but not literal love?

No. God is agape; literal agape. Not literal fire, however.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122559
01/03/10 12:29 AM
01/03/10 12:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Punishment is necessary. Otherwise, the first death would suffice.

This would follow only if the only reason the wicked are resurrected is so they can be punished. This isn't the only reason for their resurrection, however, or even the primary one.

Quote:
True, sinning can cause negative consequences. But such consequences are more like discipline and less like punishment. In addition to experiencing negative consequences punishment is also required. It's not enough to feel rotten because you committed adultery and had the husband killed in combat.

Why not?

Quote:
So, no, sin doesn't naturally, automatically kill sinners like drinking a lethal dose of arsenic causes people to die.

What is the "so" doing here? There's nothing you said to which what you just wrote should be a conclusion.

Quote:
God had to deny sinners access to the tree of life "lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever". There is more to sinning than merely suffering and dying because you cannot access the tree of life. Punishment is also required.

Suffering and dying is the punishment. What would "also" be necessary? Additional suffering?

Quote:

Also, since it is the light of the glory of God that, like a fire, consumes sinners with their sins, God must, obviously, be physically present at judgment.

The light of the glory of God is the revelation of His character. It's not a question of God's being physically present, but spiritually present. It's an issue of the spirit, not of the flesh.

Quote:
God does not set them on fire per se; instead, they consume away like Nadab and Abihu. The radiant firelight of God's person and presence is permitted to consume them according to their sinfulness. Sin is the fuel, God is the fire, sinners are the stove.

This description seems rather sick to me. In addition, it doesn't seem to be dealing with the really important issues involved, but seems superficial.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122560
01/03/10 12:36 AM
01/03/10 12:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:He believes God does something (not sure what) that prevents sinners from dying naturally the instant they sin.

From DA 764:

Quote:
Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.

This says if God left Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished. Therefore that "not sure what" that God is doing is to not permit them to reap the full result of their sin. You've asked this many times, and I've given you this answer many times! I don't know why you're "not sure what".

In addition, you've agreed with the idea that God does something (which you labeled as "arbitrary") to prevent the wicked from dying "the instant they sin" (your words).

Quote:
In judgment, God will simply stop doing whatever He does to prevent sin from killing them and then sin will kill them. The more sin they have the longer they will live and suffer. God's physical presence is unnecessary. Somehow God's character plays a part but Tom hasn't clearly explained how.

I think thinking in terms of "longer" isn't getting at the right issue. The issue is that the more one has sinned, and the more light one has rejected, the more one will suffer when that sin and light rejected is revealed. It's a simple point, and a logical one.

Regarding God's physical presence being unnecessary, I haven't said that. I've said that this is missing the important issue, which is spiritual, not physical. I've disagreed with you that the death of the wicked will be like "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Regarding the role of God's character, this is laid out in DA 107-108, especially page 108. I also quoted from Ty Gibson at length in regards to this subject.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122562
01/03/10 01:34 AM
01/03/10 01:34 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
I guess I would answer your statement with a question:

Can we also say that God is love, but not literal love?

No. God is agape; literal agape. Not literal fire, however.
I see. Can you tell my your secret in knowing which of the attributes of God we should be taking literally and which ones not?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #122565
01/03/10 03:53 PM
01/03/10 03:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I see. Can you tell my your secret in knowing which of the attributes of God we should be taking literally and which ones not?

"Fire" is an attribute of God? I suppose considering what an "attribute" is would be a place to start.

How could "love" be figurative anyway? That fire would be figurative makes sense because God is constrained to speak to humanity in language humanity can understand. So, for example, to the ancients he revealed record-taking to be done by means of scrolls. Ellen White, on the other hand, saw books. A modern-day prophet could see computers. These are means of communicating a concept. The concept is the important thing.

The concept "God is agape" is direct and clear. There's no purpose in trying to make this figurative. That God is a fire, however, is clearly figurative, and, if you believe this is literally true, then you are the first one I've come across who thinks this. I'd want to know if you think He's also literally bread, or a candle, or a lamb, or a morning star.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122567
01/03/10 04:17 PM
01/03/10 04:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Punishment is necessary. Otherwise, the first death would suffice.

T: This would follow only if the only reason the wicked are resurrected is so they can be punished. This isn't the only reason for their resurrection, however, or even the primary one.

We both agree suffering and first death are not “the” inevitable result of sinning. It is not “the” punishment for sinning. The only reason suffering and first death happens is because God prevents “the” inevitable result of sinning from happening, that is, He prevents them from dying the same day they sin. It appears you agree with me that one of the reasons God will resurrect the wicked is so that they can experience “the” inevitable result of sinning, the real result of sinning, the original result of sinning. Just exactly what that is is where we disagree. I believe the radiant firelight of God’s person and presence is what will cause sinners to suffer and die according to their sinfulness. You have yet to clearly explain what you believe.

Quote:
M: True, sinning can cause negative consequences. But such consequences are more like discipline and less like punishment. In addition to experiencing negative consequences punishment is also required. It's not enough to feel rotten because you committed adultery and had the husband killed in combat.

T: Why not?

If feeling rotten about committing adultery and having the husband killed in combat is sufficient punishment, why, then, did the child have to die?

Quote:
M: So, no, sin doesn't naturally, automatically kill sinners like drinking a lethal dose of arsenic causes people to die. God had to deny sinners access to the tree of life "lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever". There is more to sinning than merely suffering and dying because you cannot access the tree of life. Punishment is also required.

T: Suffering and dying is the punishment. What would "also" be necessary? Additional suffering?

No, suffering and first death are not “the” punishment for sinning.

Quote:
M: Also, since it is the light of the glory of God that, like a fire, consumes sinners with their sins, God must, obviously, be physically present at judgment.

T: The light of the glory of God is the revelation of His character. It's not a question of God's being physically present, but spiritually present. It's an issue of the spirit, not of the flesh.

It sounds like you believe the wicked are capable of comprehending the character of God during judgment in a way that results in them experiencing “the” inevitable result of sinning. But every time I share this observation you vehemently oppose it and expressed shock and horror that anybody could arrive at such a conclusion based on what you’ve written. However, you leave it at that; you do not go on to set the record straight by clearly explaining what you believe. So, here we are many pages later and still no closer than before.

Quote:
M: God does not set them on fire per se; instead, they consume away like Nadab and Abihu. The radiant firelight of God's person and presence is permitted to consume them according to their sinfulness. Sin is the fuel, God is the fire, sinners are the stove.

T: This description seems rather sick to me. In addition, it doesn't seem to be dealing with the really important issues involved, but seems superficial.

Sin is consumed in the presence of God. Whoever clings to sin will be consumed with it. What is so “sick” about it? Ellen White describes it clearly:

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. . . But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. . . The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

How does the glory of God consume sin in sinners while they are alive?

How does the glory of God consume and destroy sinners with their sin?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122568
01/03/10 05:31 PM
01/03/10 05:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: He believes God does something (not sure what) that prevents sinners from dying naturally the instant they sin.

T: From DA 764: "Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin." This says if God left Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished. Therefore that "not sure what" that God is doing is to not permit them to reap the full result of their sin. You've asked this many times, and I've given you this answer many times! I don't know why you're "not sure what".

I believe permitting them to reap the results of sinning means allowing the radiant firelight of His person and presence to consume and destroy them. You seem to think it means allowing sin to consume and destroy them like drinking arsenic causes people to die. Is that what you believe?

Quote:
T: In addition, you've agreed with the idea that God does something (which you labeled as "arbitrary") to prevent the wicked from dying "the instant they sin" (your words).

The wages of sin is second death - not a lifetime of sinning and first death followed by resurrection, suffering, and second death. I believe God "arbitrarily" (using your definition) prevents sinners from succumbing to second death the moment they sin by veiling the radiant firelight of His person and presence.

Quote:
M: In judgment, God will simply stop doing whatever He does to prevent sin from killing them and then sin will kill them. The more sin they have the longer they will live and suffer. God's physical presence is unnecessary. Somehow God's character plays a part but Tom hasn't clearly explained how.

T: I think thinking in terms of "longer" isn't getting at the right issue. The issue is that the more one has sinned, and the more light one has rejected, the more one will suffer when that sin and light rejected is revealed. It's a simple point, and a logical one.

You have yet to explain how "revealing" sin and light during judgment will cause sinners to suffer and to die. Does it require them to grasp and comprehend the truth? If so, why and how will it cause them to suffer and die? For example, will Jesus explain the truth about the Sabbath until they grasp it and see the deadly contrast between it and the sins they've committed and that such revelation and comprehension will cause them intense suffering? If so, what is the cause of death? Does comprehending the contrast between the truth and their sins cause them to gradually weaken and finally die of mental anguish? Why does having more sin result in living longer? Who or what prevents them from dying prematurely?

Quote:
T: Regarding God's physical presence being unnecessary, I haven't said that. I've said that this is missing the important issue, which is spiritual, not physical. I've disagreed with you that the death of the wicked will be like "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Do you think fire proceeding from the presence of God and consuming Nadab and Abihu was like "Raiders of the Lost Ark"?

Quote:
T: Regarding the role of God's character, this is laid out in DA 107-108, especially page 108. I also quoted from Ty Gibson at length in regards to this subject.

You have never clearly explained what role you think God's character will play during judgment as it relates to the suffering and death of the wicked. Nothing you've quoted clearly explains what you believe. Please take the time to plainly state what you believe.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122569
01/03/10 05:38 PM
01/03/10 05:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
That fire would be figurative makes sense because God is constrained to speak to humanity in language humanity can understand.

What kind of "fire" do you have in mind when you read passages like "Our God is a consuming fire", "Fire went out from the presence of God and consumed them", and "Fire comes down from God out of heaven and destroys them"?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122570
01/03/10 05:45 PM
01/03/10 05:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Punishment is necessary. Otherwise, the first death would suffice.

T: This would follow only if the only reason the wicked are resurrected is so they can be punished. This isn't the only reason for their resurrection, however, or even the primary one.

M:We both agree suffering and first death are not “the” inevitable result of sinning. It is not “the” punishment for sinning. The only reason suffering and first death happens is because God prevents “the” inevitable result of sinning from happening, that is, He prevents them from dying the same day they sin. It appears you agree with me that one of the reasons God will resurrect the wicked is so that they can experience “the” inevitable result of sinning, the real result of sinning, the original result of sinning. Just exactly what that is is where we disagree. I believe the radiant firelight of God’s person and presence is what will cause sinners to suffer and die according to their sinfulness. You have yet to clearly explain what you believe.

You didn't address my point. You said, "Punishment is necessary. Otherwise, the first death would suffice." I pointed out that this is a false conclusion, unless the only reason the lost are resurrected is to punish them.

Regarding your thoughts about God's radiant firelight, I think this is a superficial idea, viewing matters in physical rather than spiritual terms which involve the flesh as opposed to the character.

Quote:
M: True, sinning can cause negative consequences. But such consequences are more like discipline and less like punishment. In addition to experiencing negative consequences punishment is also required. It's not enough to feel rotten because you committed adultery and had the husband killed in combat.

T: Why not?

M:If feeling rotten about committing adultery and having the husband killed in combat is sufficient punishment, why, then, did the child have to die?

Children of adulterous/murdering parents don't always die. I'm not sure what your point is here.

Quote:
M: So, no, sin doesn't naturally, automatically kill sinners like drinking a lethal dose of arsenic causes people to die. God had to deny sinners access to the tree of life "lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever". There is more to sinning than merely suffering and dying because you cannot access the tree of life. Punishment is also required.

T: Suffering and dying is the punishment. What would "also" be necessary? Additional suffering?

M:No, suffering and first death are not “the” punishment for sinning.

I didn't realize you were speaking of the first death. When we are told that death is "the inevitable result of sin," this has in mind the second death.

Sin is lethal, like poison, which the following makes clear:

Quote:
If you feel yourself to be the greatest sinner, Christ is just what you need, the greatest Saviour. Lift up your head and look away from yourself, away from your sin, to the uplifted Saviour; away from the poisonous, venomous bite of the serpent to the Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world.(LHU 256)

Not recognizing this truth leads to many errors, involving the atonement, the judgment, and, above all, God's character.

Quote:
M:It sounds like you believe the wicked are capable of comprehending the character of God during judgment in a way that results in them experiencing “the” inevitable result of sinning. But every time I share this observation you vehemently oppose it and expressed shock and horror that anybody could arrive at such a conclusion based on what you’ve written. However, you leave it at that; you do not go on to set the record straight by clearly explaining what you believe. So, here we are many pages later and still no closer than before.

The principle is explained here:

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. ...

The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

This seems very clear to me. The same thing that gives life to the righteous slays the wicked. These paragraphs are dealing with God's glory, which is His character. The "light of the glory of God" is dealing with "Christ," "the revealer of the character of God."

Nothing here is dealing with "radiant firelight."

What I object to, as I've repeatedly pointed out, is your phrasing things in such as a way as to imply that God is the problem, that He is responsible for the death of the wicked, as opposed to sin. If you say the wicked have a problem with God's character, because sin has ruined their character, I have no problem with that. Why not do that?

Regarding the rest, you're commenting on the same passage I am. This isn't dealing with physical issues regarding the flesh, but with spiritual issues regarding the character.

Page 70 of 105 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!