HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 77 of 105 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122692
01/07/10 05:39 PM
01/07/10 05:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: GC
When they come with "weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth," saying "Lord, Lord!" and trying to defend themselves (vainly), do you really think that they are wanting and choosing to be lost?

Good point. It is clear they will think they deserve to be in heaven, that heaven is for people like them. No indication they loathe the idea of being in heaven. That comes much later.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122694
01/07/10 05:53 PM
01/07/10 05:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
In Early Writings, Ellen White wrote: "The Father's person I could not behold, for a cloud of glorious light covered Him. I asked Jesus if His Father had a form like Himself. He said He had, but I could not behold it, for said He, 'If you should once behold the glory of His person, you would cease to exist.'"

This makes it appear that the "cloud of glorious light" which covered the Father actually masked a more intense light which would destroy her, a sinner, if unveiled. That is the image I have of hell-- God will finally unmask Himself, and literal flames and destruction among the wicked will ensue.

Makes sense to me, GC. This observation has been made before on this forum and Tom responded by suggesting the righteous attributes of God's character is what would have destroyed Ellen White. Although for some reason the same thing is not true of Jesus. That is, she was able to see His form and glory without being destroyed. Don't remember how Tom explains why.

Know what I mean?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122695
01/07/10 05:54 PM
01/07/10 05:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: God is a physical Being who also happens to glow. His radiance outshines the sun. I’m surprised you’re unwilling to concede this point.

T: God is a spiritual being. "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. (John 4:24)" Before there was any matter, God existed. He can manifest Himself as He pleases, for His creatures, who are physical beings.

Do you believe God is eternally a physical Being? Or, do you think He is only a spiritual Being? If so, how do you explain the difference?

Quote:
M: I find it curious you can answer this type of question without volunteering to explain what you do believe. So, here it is – In what way do you think it was different than Raiders of the Lost Ark?

T: I've declined to talk about Nabad and Abihu many times, as we covered the subject in detail, so I don't see why you would find this to be surprising.

Are you unwilling to restate and clarify your position? If so, please post a link where you clearly explain it. Thank you. The details are fussy. I seem to recall you saying something like God simply permitted naturally occurring elements to discharge something akin to lightning and it killed them.

Quote:
M: Tom, yes, it is very cool that the SOP uses the words "poison" and "antidote" in relation to the sin problem.

T: Glad to hear that. Thinking of the sin problem in these terms I think helps very much to understand the atonement, the judgment, the Great Controversy, and what God is attempting to do.

M: Yes, it does.

T: It would be interesting to see this fleshed out.

I imagine it playing out in two different phases: 1) the first death, and 2) the second death.

Quote:
M: Like GC, I was surprised at your reaction to his question regarding the fire that destroyed the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah. Are you saying you believe fire really, literally came down from God out of heaven?

T: This isn't what he said. He said, "I truly am surprised you think the fire in Sodom was real fire." Why would you think I wouldn't have thought that real fire was involved?

M: I mean real fire from God out of heaven. Is that what you believe? Or, do you believe the fire originated somewhere else?

T: GC said nothing about this. I've already said what I think about Sodom and Gomorrah.

Would you please repost a summary of what you believe? Who or what do you think ignited the fire? What do you think was the fuel source? Were they burned alive? Did they suffer intense pain? Etc.

Quote:
M: Yes. But my question is – Do you believe God withdrew His protection and permitted oil or coal or something naturally occurring in the area to burst into flames and kill them relatively painlessly?

T: We've discussed this in the past.

The details are fuzzy. I recall you saying something like God simply withdrew His protection and permitted the oil and coal in the area to burst into flames and to burn them alive but so quickly that they died a relatively painless death. For some reason you do not hold God responsible for the fire or for their death.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122698
01/07/10 07:26 PM
01/07/10 07:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cocha
There were some among the Israelites which did die of a plague, likely a disease of some sort brought on by their consumption of the quail. I do not deny that this plague may have been authored by Satan, and certainly, he delighted in the deaths of the Israelites. However, this does bring up a question: Why would God provide "Trojan horses" to his people? (In other words, it seems that God, the author of perfection, would have provided pure, undiseased quail, just as Jesus provided pure, unfermented wine at the wedding.)

The quail were already in existence. God didn't create them specially, as Jesus did with the wine. God gave the people what they wanted.

Quote:
Regardless of your answer on that, there were a separate class of the murmurers who died, according to the record, as soon as they had but tasted the meat. Tell me: do you know of any single substance that would kill you the moment you tasted it?

Satan is the author of disease and death. Those who died instantly would not have been killed by the disease, but that doesn't mean God killed them. For God to have killed them would have been playing into Satan's hands, as Satan seeks to misrepresent God as doing what he does.

Quote:
Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin.(DA 471)

Quote:
Perhaps my earlier analogy of God being at the controls, like driving a car, falls short, because it does not address itself to this issue.

It did seem like an odd analogy, for someone from your point of view to come up with. I think that's why it surprised kland. It's an analogy that he or I would have been more apt to come up with. Well, thanks for the idea! I think it fits quite well for our point of view (i.e., kland's and mine).

Quote:
What is the issue here? The issue is not the murmurers. It is the preservation of the remnant. God must destroy those who would tempt His true people, in order to protect them.

1.He could educate those who are being tempted, so they don't fall into temptation. It's not God's usual practice to kill those who tempt. He didn't kill Satan, but allowed him to tempt Eve.

2.This is assuming it's necessary for God to destroy people in order for them to be done away with. But it's not. It's sufficient for God to simply withdraw his protection from the "thousand dangers, all of them unseen" that God is protecting them from.

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. (GC 36)

This is a sufficient mechanism to destroy those whom God wishes to destroy. It is not necessary for God to behave as Satan, the destroyer, in order to bring about destruction.

Quote:
If we were to use the car analogy, we would have to convert it to a bus, in which many people were riding, and the driver seeing, via his rearview mirror, a passenger in the back of the bus pull out a switchblade and shout out some threats to the others, then suddenly go on the rampage. The driver then pulls out his weapon and, for the safety and protection of the passengers, eliminates the threat of the one who sought their destruction.

This doesn't fit because it doesn't bring out the important point that there are a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, from which God is constantly protecting us.

Quote:
How graciously and tenderly our heavenly Father deals with His children! He preserves them from a thousand dangers to them unseen and guards them from the subtle arts of Satan, lest they should be destroyed. (3T 373)

Quote:
You see, Tom, you have focused so much on pleading the cause of the wicked, that you have adopted much of Satan's cry of "foul!"

It's the other way around, it seems to me. I'm focused on pleading the cause of God, who has been misrepresented by Satan, and you're repeating Satan's misrepresentations. That's how it seems to me.

Quote:
God has the best interests of His own people at heart in doing the unpleasant duties, the "unnatural acts," which He does. It is more similar to a thief breaking into one's home, and going into the children's room to rape, plunder, steal and kill. Would you, as the man of the house, just let the thief do what he wanted? Would you betray the trust of those innocent children, while letting the robber have his way? Or would you pull out your weapon, and preserve their lives in the only way possible? That is God's position. Satan does not play fair. Satan provokes God to these actions, and then cries foul. But God must set limits. Satan does not like the limits. But this does not mean the limits are actually unfair, as Satan claims. On the contrary, they are the best, most-loving, and wisest boundaries which can possibly be set, for God knows and reads the hearts. He knows what the future ramifications of each action will be. The course which He steers is that with the best possible outcome, the least fatalities. Some must die. God Himself must act. Praise the Lord we have a loving God who is both capable and willing to defend His people!

It doesn't appear you're bearing in mind that God is constantly protecting us from a thousand dangers, all of them unseen. For someone to be destroyed, it's enough for God to withdraw His protection. He doesn't need to take destructive action Himself, which would be contrary to His character.

Quote:
We are sons and daughters of God. Satan is the destroyer and Christ is the restorer. He will make us partakers of His holiness. God does not make light of sin, but He seeks to rescue us from sin.(IHP 66)

God seeks to rescue us from sin, which would destroy us. Our enemies are sin and Satan. These are the destructive elements. At times, God permits these destructive elements to destroy. He has no need to, and to do so would be to mimic the enemy, who is the destroyer.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122699
01/07/10 07:39 PM
01/07/10 07:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
This observation has been made before on this forum and Tom responded by suggesting the righteous attributes of God's character is what would have destroyed Ellen White.

I don't think I said this. It doesn't sound like me.

Quote:
Although for some reason the same thing is not true of Jesus. That is, she was able to see His form and glory without being destroyed. Don't remember how Tom explains why.

What? Didn't you point out the angel said she would be destroyed if she saw God? Why are you now saying she saw God's "form and glory"? Why are you saying she did something Jesus didn't do? In saying the same thing is not true of Jesus, do you mean that Jesus would have been destroyed had He done the same thing EGW did? It sounds like this is what you're suggesting. Perhaps I've misunderstood you. If not, and you're really saying this, doesn't it strike you as rather odd to think such a thing?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122700
01/07/10 08:02 PM
01/07/10 08:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:Do you believe God is eternally a physical Being? Or, do you think He is only a spiritual Being? If so, how do you explain the difference?

I pointed out several times that God existed before matter did. Do you understand "physical" to mean something other than being comprised of matter? If not, it should be obvious that God could hardly be comprised of matter if matter didn't exist.

Regarding Nabad and Abihu, you can try the search utility.

Quote:
M: Tom, yes, it is very cool that the SOP uses the words "poison" and "antidote" in relation to the sin problem.

T: Glad to hear that. Thinking of the sin problem in these terms I think helps very much to understand the atonement, the judgment, the Great Controversy, and what God is attempting to do.

M: Yes, it does.

T: It would be interesting to see this fleshed out.

M:I imagine it playing out in two different phases: 1) the first death, and 2) the second death.

It would be interesting to see this fleshed out.

Regarding S&G, I've said I thought it likely the destruction of the cities of the plain was due to volcanic activity. Here's something that may be of some interest:

http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi58.htm

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122701
01/07/10 08:52 PM
01/07/10 08:52 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The quail were already in existence. God didn't create them specially, as Jesus did with the wine. God gave the people what they wanted.

How much do you know about quail? Are you a birdwatcher by any chance? Do you know where quail live? Have you seen where these quail came from, according to scripture? Do you not understand the magnitude of this miracle, as even Moses doubted God could do it? Do you understand the sheer numbers we are dealing with here?

Do some research, and you'll know why I firmly believe God created those quail.
Satan is the author of disease and death. Those who died instantly would not have been killed by the disease, but that doesn't mean God killed them. For God to have killed them would have been playing into Satan's hands, as Satan seeks to misrepresent God as doing what he does.
There is no question but that Satan represents God in a wrong light. Naturally, it is easier to do this when he has some facts on his side, and he can merely distort them. One of the facts, in this case, is that God has exercised justice and judgment, resulting in the deaths of lawbreakers. Satan distorts this to make it appear as though God is a tyrant. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Satan does the same thing with God's law. God has a law, and has required us to keep it. Satan does not like the law, so he represents it as being unfair, and its requirements impossible. Does this mean that if God makes a law, it was a Satanic thing? No, no! God is the author of the Law, and with it, the Author of its penalty--and the One who ensures His laws are kept. Why would Satan wish to enforce a law he deems unfair? Nay, but Satan cries foul at the legitimate enforcement of this law which he hates. Certainly, Satan takes pleasure in the deaths of people. But when his best tools among them are destroyed, to prevent them from gaining further access to God's people, Satan cries foul. Of course, his accusations are without foundation. God is just.

Quote:
What is the issue here? The issue is not the murmurers. It is the preservation of the remnant. God must destroy those who would tempt His true people, in order to protect them.

1.He could educate those who are being tempted, so they don't fall into temptation. It's not God's usual practice to kill those who tempt. He didn't kill Satan, but allowed him to tempt Eve.

2.This is assuming it's necessary for God to destroy people in order for them to be done away with. But it's not. It's sufficient for God to simply withdraw his protection from the "thousand dangers, all of them unseen" that God is protecting them from.

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. (GC 36)

This is a sufficient mechanism to destroy those whom God wishes to destroy. It is not necessary for God to behave as Satan, the destroyer, in order to bring about destruction.

Regarding your #1 point, God has and does seek to educate people away from their errors. However, not all wish to accept His wisdom. Many wish to do their own thing. Why didn't God educate Lucifer away from his rebellion? That question is tantamount to asking why didn't God remove the freedom of choice.

Those whom God destroyed posed too great a risk to His people, and had to be dealt with. They were rebellious and incorrigible, and had no interest in God's wisdom or way.

Tom, the problem with your picture of God is that you have made a fast and hard rule which cannot be broken, in order for God's character to remain untarnished. You believe God never kills. However, God has indeed done so. What will you do when you realize the fact of this one day? How will this alter your image of God? I am 100% certain that you will yet learn the truth, because God will reveal these things at the judgment.

You do not answer Mike regarding Nadab and Abihu because you do not have a plausible answer as to how they could have died unless God had done it. In fact, you have no answer to the direct statement of Mrs. White, attributing their deaths directly to God. She said "God visited them with His wrath; fire went forth from His presence and destroyed them." The Bible says "And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord."

If you believe God Himself to be one of those "thousand dangers," you are sorely misled and deceived. God should never be accounted as a "danger!" This is exactly what Satan wishes us to believe. However, God _IS_ a protector, shield, and defender of His own. There is a limit to His mercy, and yet, how great His mercy! It seems unfathomable that God would actually allow all that He allows--but it is with a purpose. The universe will be so sick of sin when this experiment has ended, that no one will ever, ever, ever consider it again.

Quote:
If we were to use the car analogy, we would have to convert it to a bus, in which many people were riding, and the driver seeing, via his rearview mirror, a passenger in the back of the bus pull out a switchblade and shout out some threats to the others, then suddenly go on the rampage. The driver then pulls out his weapon and, for the safety and protection of the passengers, eliminates the threat of the one who sought their destruction.

This doesn't fit because it doesn't bring out the important point that there are a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, from which God is constantly protecting us.

See my response above. You are not doing well to liken God to a danger. Full stop. To avoid saying you are doing so, is to say that you do not accept a plain "thus saith the Lord" in the Bible and in Ellen White. The Bible and Ellen White are clear that God slew Nadab and Abihu.

If you try to make me believe that Satan can hurl lightnings from the presence of the Lord, then truly Satan is God's imp and servant. That would make God into a being of Satan's ilk. Yet that is exactly where your logic and arguments on this topic lead. I make no apology for speaking so straightforwardly, as this discussion has gone on quite long enough without resolution. I frankly doubt that you will change your views. But others may read here, and be under the influence of your views instead of accepting what the Bible says.
Quote:
How graciously and tenderly our heavenly Father deals with His children! He preserves them from a thousand dangers to them unseen and guards them from the subtle arts of Satan, lest they should be destroyed. (3T 373)

Quote:
You see, Tom, you have focused so much on pleading the cause of the wicked, that you have adopted much of Satan's cry of "foul!"

It's the other way around, it seems to me. I'm focused on pleading the cause of God, who has been misrepresented by Satan, and you're repeating Satan's misrepresentations. That's how it seems to me.

Quote:
God has the best interests of His own people at heart in doing the unpleasant duties, the "unnatural acts," which He does. It is more similar to a thief breaking into one's home, and going into the children's room to rape, plunder, steal and kill. Would you, as the man of the house, just let the thief do what he wanted? Would you betray the trust of those innocent children, while letting the robber have his way? Or would you pull out your weapon, and preserve their lives in the only way possible? That is God's position. Satan does not play fair. Satan provokes God to these actions, and then cries foul. But God must set limits. Satan does not like the limits. But this does not mean the limits are actually unfair, as Satan claims. On the contrary, they are the best, most-loving, and wisest boundaries which can possibly be set, for God knows and reads the hearts. He knows what the future ramifications of each action will be. The course which He steers is that with the best possible outcome, the least fatalities. Some must die. God Himself must act. Praise the Lord we have a loving God who is both capable and willing to defend His people!

It doesn't appear you're bearing in mind that God is constantly protecting us from a thousand dangers, all of them unseen. For someone to be destroyed, it's enough for God to withdraw His protection. He doesn't need to take destructive action Himself, which would be contrary to His character.

Quote:
We are sons and daughters of God. Satan is the destroyer and Christ is the restorer. He will make us partakers of His holiness. God does not make light of sin, but He seeks to rescue us from sin.(IHP 66)

God seeks to rescue us from sin, which would destroy us. Our enemies are sin and Satan. These are the destructive elements. At times, God permits these destructive elements to destroy. He has no need to, and to do so would be to mimic the enemy, who is the destroyer.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122702
01/07/10 09:04 PM
01/07/10 09:04 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
It would be interesting to see this fleshed out.

Regarding S&G, I've said I thought it likely the destruction of the cities of the plain was due to volcanic activity. Here's something that may be of some interest:

http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi58.htm

That website is full of error, so if you're leaning on it, you're leaning on a broken reed.

1) The 1628 BC date falls about 200 years after Abraham's death, or almost 300 years after the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.
2) It misquotes the Bible.
3) It strings together a bunch of verses from Isaiah which are out of context and unrelated whatsoever to Sodom and Gomorrah, trying to prove what happened to those cities.
4) It tries to use the volcanic eruption of Santorin to lend support to the "hand of God" seen in the time of Moses and the plagues--yet, according to the dates provided for this eruption, it would have occurred shortly after Joseph's death, well over a century before the time of Moses and the plagues.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #122704
01/08/10 01:28 AM
01/08/10 01:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
How much do you know about quail? Are you a birdwatcher by any chance? Do you know where quail live? Have you seen where these quail came from, according to scripture? Do you not understand the magnitude of this miracle, as even Moses doubted God could do it? Do you understand the sheer numbers we are dealing with here?

Do some research, and you'll know why I firmly believe God created those quail.

You're saying that God created the quail? That's quite an assumption to make!

Quote:
31And there went forth a wind from the LORD, and brought quails from the sea, and let them fall by the camp, as it were a day's journey on this side, and as it were a day's journey on the other side, round about the camp, and as it were two cubits high upon the face of the earth.

32And the people stood up all that day, and all that night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread them all abroad for themselves round about the camp.(Numbers 11:31, 32)

This seems to be saying that God brought forth a wind which brought the quails from another place to the place where the Israelites were. If you can read into this that God created the quail, it makes me wonder what other things you might be reading into other portions of Scripture.

It seems like the point you raised previously would be valid against this idea. If God created the quail, how could they have caused fevers and disease? He wouldn't have created defective quail, would He?

Quote:
T:Satan is the author of disease and death. Those who died instantly would not have been killed by the disease, but that doesn't mean God killed them. For God to have killed them would have been playing into Satan's hands, as Satan seeks to misrepresent God as doing what he does.

GC:There is no question but that Satan represents God in a wrong light. Naturally, it is easier to do this when he has some facts on his side, and he can merely distort them. One of the facts, in this case, is that God has exercised justice and judgment, resulting in the deaths of lawbreakers. Satan distorts this to make it appear as though God is a tyrant. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It's actually worse than this. It's not merely that Satan distorts the truth, to make God appear worse than He actually is, but He presents God as doing things which He does not do, which are in harmony with his own character, but not God's. It's not simply a matter of degree involved here, but God's order is completely different than Satan's.

Satan is the destroyer. God is the restorer.

Force is not a principle of God's government. It is to be found only in the government of the enemy.

These are matters of distortions or degree, but complete differences in principles and character. We see the true character of God revealed by Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Satan does the same thing with God's law. God has a law, and has required us to keep it. Satan does not like the law, so he represents it as being unfair, and its requirements impossible.

What Satan really doesn't like is God, so he misrepresents His character. He presents the law as if it were arbitrary requirements on the part of God, as opposed to promised blessings for those who follow its wise counsels. He presents the Lord as arbitrarily sending disease and death upon those who break it.

Quote:
Does this mean that if God makes a law, it was a Satanic thing? No, no! God is the author of the Law, and with it, the Author of its penalty--and the One who ensures His laws are kept.

No, this isn't right. Satan is the author of sin and all its results.

Quote:
Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin.(DA 471)

Death is one of the results of sin. Death is the punishment of sin. Since Satan is the author of sin, "and all its results," it follows that Satan is the author of death, not God.

Quote:
Why would Satan wish to enforce a law he deems unfair?

The law isn't arbitrarily enforced. It's Satan's idea that God arbitrarily inflicts those who break it with disease and death, as seen in the above quote. But the truth is that those who disregard the wise law and its counsels bring out the sure result of disease and death upon themselves.

It's like smoking. Smoking causes death because of what it is by nature, not because God arbitrarily smites those who smoke with cancer or other diseases.

Quote:
Nay, but Satan cries foul at the legitimate enforcement of this law which he hates.

Satan represents God as arbitrarily inflicting those who disobey His law with disease and death.

Quote:
Certainly, Satan takes pleasure in the deaths of people. But when his best tools among them are destroyed, to prevent them from gaining further access to God's people, Satan cries foul. Of course, his accusations are without foundation. God is just.

The issue isn't simply Satan's crying foul, but with misrepresenting God's character, and causing people to think God is doing things for which he (Satan) and sin are responsible. It's a sad thing that he's been so successful at this. This is in spite of the fact that Jesus Christ has shown us precisely what God is like.

I'll stop here, as this is already rather long, and continue separately.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122705
01/08/10 01:53 AM
01/08/10 01:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding your #1 point, God has and does seek to educate people away from their errors. However, not all wish to accept His wisdom. Many wish to do their own thing. Why didn't God educate Lucifer away from his rebellion? That question is tantamount to asking why didn't God remove the freedom of choice.

Those whom God destroyed posed too great a risk to His people, and had to be dealt with. They were rebellious and incorrigible, and had no interest in God's wisdom or way.

Tom, the problem with your picture of God is that you have made a fast and hard rule which cannot be broken, in order for God's character to remain untarnished. You believe God never kills. However, God has indeed done so. What will you do when you realize the fact of this one day? How will this alter your image of God? I am 100% certain that you will yet learn the truth, because God will reveal these things at the judgment.

I'm 100% certain that your view of things is incorrect. I'm not saying there aren't errors in what I think. But I'm sure your ideas are incorrect. What will you do when you're shown the truth?

Better yet, what do you think is gained by asking questions like this? I can't imagine why you would think there is some point to these sorts of comments.

If you wish to make some sort of argument, do so in a reasonable way, by presenting an argument with evidence and reasoning. Your gratuitous insistence that certain things you believe are true with no evidence cited is pointless.

Quote:
You do not answer Mike regarding Nadab and Abihu because you do not have a plausible answer as to how they could have died unless God had done it.

No, I didn't answer it because I'm tired of the discussion. I spent months and dozens if not hundreds of posts discussing this, and he can't even remember what I said. Also, I don't see the point in it.

Quote:
In fact, you have no answer to the direct statement of Mrs. White, attributing their deaths directly to God. She said "God visited them with His wrath; fire went forth from His presence and destroyed them." The Bible says "And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord."

Sure I have an answer to that, which I presented. Perhaps kland would wish to discuss this with you. I don't see what this has to do with the subject of this topic.

Quote:
If you believe God Himself to be one of those "thousand dangers," you are sorely misled and deceived.

Isn't this more in line with what you think? My thinking is that God is like Jesus Christ, who never harmed anybody. Why in the world would you think I think God is one of the thousand dangers? Are you trying to be funny?

Quote:
God should never be accounted as a "danger!" This is exactly what Satan wishes us to believe.

I agree with this. Isn't it your idea that God sets people on fire to make them suffer? And kills them? Do you not think this is a danger? It seems to me that you are indicting your own position.

Quote:
However, God _IS_ a protector, shield, and defender of His own. There is a limit to His mercy, and yet, how great His mercy! It seems unfathomable that God would actually allow all that He allows--but it is with a purpose. The universe will be so sick of sin when this experiment has ended, that no one will ever, ever, ever consider it again.

So gracious is God, He even protects those who aren't His own.

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed.(GC 36)

Quote:
See my response above. You are not doing well to liken God to a danger.

If I've been saying that God does not kill, nor inflict with disease, nor destroy, and you say God does these things, what sense does it make for you to be saying that I shouldn't liken God to a danger? This is like the pot calling snow black.

Quote:
Full stop. To avoid saying you are doing so, is to say that you do not accept a plain "thus saith the Lord" in the Bible and in Ellen White. The Bible and Ellen White are clear that God slew Nadab and Abihu.

It's also clear that God slew Saul.

Quote:
If you try to make me believe that Satan can hurl lightnings from the presence of the Lord, then truly Satan is God's imp and servant. That would make God into a being of Satan's ilk.

Only if God were a destroyer, right? If God is not a destroyer, then Satan, by destroying, would acting contrary to God's will, wouldn't he?

Quote:
Yet that is exactly where your logic and arguments on this topic lead. I make no apology for speaking so straightforwardly, as this discussion has gone on quite long enough without resolution. I frankly doubt that you will change your views. But others may read here, and be under the influence of your views instead of accepting what the Bible says.

If you wish to influence others, I think you'd have a better chance of doing so by presenting well-reasoned arguments with evidence.

Regarding Sodom and Gomorrah, I just typed "Sodom Gomorrah volcanic" and that was the first thing that popped up. Here's something else I came across (http://www.bib-arch.org/e-features/sodom-and-gomorrah.asp)

Quote:
As far back as the first-century A.D. historian Josephus, visitors to the Dead Sea have hypothesized about the nature of the catastrophe that “overthrew” the cities of the plain under a shower of brimstone and fire. For some, the explanation was a powerful flood that inundated the much shallower and then-dry southern basin of the Dead Sea. For others, the destruction was wrought by an ancient volcano that has become hidden and dormant in the centuries since. Some have even postulated that God’s fury was unleashed by a fiery ancient asteroid over a half-mile in diameter that destroyed everything in its path.

But the explanation that provides the most likely historical and geological context for the legendary destruction is a massive earthquake. The Dead Sea, part of the enormous geological fault line known as the Great Rift Valley, has been the epicenter of powerful earthquakes for countless millennia. Indeed, geologist Amos Frumkin believes that an earthquake measuring 8.0 on the Richter Scale gave rise to both the Sodom and Gomorrah tradition as well as the story surrounding the Mt. Sedom salt pillar (known as Lot’s Wife) some 4,000 years ago. Other scholars have proposed that the earthquake caused the narrow isthmus between the northern and southern Dead Sea basins to give way, which in turn flooded the southern “Valley of Siddim” and inundated the wicked cities and all their inhabitants.

Matching the earthquake theory to the Biblical conflagration, however, has required additional explanation. Most have proposed that the earthquake caused the natural sulfur and bitumen deposits of the Dead Sea area to erupt to the surface, thereby releasing large quantities of natural gas into the air. When exposed to fire—perhaps created by a lightning strike from above—the gas could have ignited and turned the entire plain into a huge furnace, consuming everything and everyone that could not escape.

Here's something else:

Quote:
"This remarkable happening is stated matter-of-factly, with no suggestion that it was a special miracle or divine judgment. Lot’s wife "looked back" (the phrase might even be rendered "returned back" or "lagged back") seeking to cling to her luxurious life in Sodom (note Christ’s reference to this in Luke 17:32,33) and was destroyed in the "overthrow" (Genesis 19:25,29) of the city. There are many great deposits of rock salt in the region, probably formed by massive precipitation from thermal brines upwelling from the earth’s deep mantle during the great Flood. Possibly the overthrow buried her in a shower of these salt deposits blown skyward by the explosions. There is also the possibility that she was buried in a shower of volcanic ash, with her body gradually being converted into "salt" over the years following through the process of petrifaction, in a manner similar to that experienced by the inhabitants of Pompeii and Herculaneum in the famous eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
- Henry Morris (taken from: "The Defenders Study Bible")

Page 77 of 105 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!