HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: gordonb1] #123512
02/22/10 06:16 AM
02/22/10 06:16 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Lysine is found in alfalfa sprouts, apples, apricots, beets, carrots, celery, cucumbers,figs, grapes, papayas, pears beets, carrots, celery, cucumber, dandelion greens, parsley, potatoes, spinach, turnip greens, sunflower seeds and soybean sprouts. Probably found in many other foods as well. A wide variety of fruit, veg, grains, nuts as natural as possible is well to eat!

KAL brand Nutrional Yeast Flakes: Two heaping tablespoons / Lysine 704 mg
http://www.myvitanet.com/nutyeasflak.html

Twin Labs Nutrional Yeast powder: Tablespoonful / L-Lysine 560 mg
http://www.vitanetonline.com/description/.../Nutritional-Yeast-Powder/

Quote:
Dr. Harvey C. Lisle, a graduate in Chemical Engineering from the U of Ohio, with fifteen years' industrial experience in food testing laboratories including animal and human food. He tested Wigmore's salad.

"Protein is very sensitive to heat. Heat cause irreversible changes in protein, changes that downgrade the protein. Most Americans now cook their food whether meat or vegetable, which could account for the fact that most nutritionist recommend approximately 70 grams of protein per day for the average person, whereas raw food proponents recommend only about half that amount. Uncooked food can provide more usable proteins!"

An analysis of Ann Wigmore's complete Meal Salad.
Based on 100 grams edible portion
Avocado 120 mg lysine
Cucumber 13 mg lysine
Summer squash 258 mg lysine
Greens 147 mg lysine
Sunflower seeds 912 mg lysine

Recipes for Longer Life Recipes for Longer Life By Ann Wigmore See pages 2, 3, 4, 5

Quote:

http://www.perfectoils.com.au/goji-berries.htm

(Goji berry) Ningxia Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum v. Ningxia)
Amino acid per 227 g

Alanine 1,630 mg
Lysine 880 mg
Arginine 2,110 mg
Methionine 340 mg
Aspartate 4,760 mg
Phenylalanine 860 mg
Cystine 270 mg
Proline 2,340 mg
Glutamine 3,310 mg
Serine 1,450 mg
Glycine 900 mg
Threonine 1,040 mg
Histidine 610 mg
Tryptophan 250 mg
Isoleucine 790 mg
Tyrosine 360 mg
Leucine 1,430 mg
Valine 1,000 mg

Foods with highest ratio of Lysine:Tryptophan in Vegetables and Vegetable Products. Not sure how to use the info!
http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-011990500100000000000-1.html

An interesting food! Moringa oleifera

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: crater] #123519
02/22/10 01:23 PM
02/22/10 01:23 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Good finds crater.

Green, how much daily Lysine is required for your subject?

Years ago nutritional yeast (yellow engevita flakes) were all the rage. It was easy to add one or two teaspoons to a glass of orange juice, or a salad.

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: gordonb1] #123522
02/22/10 02:52 PM
02/22/10 02:52 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Crater and Gordon,

From the best evidence that I can gather, it would seem necessary to find 600 mg of Lysine per day. The Brewer's Yeast could fulfill that, and it is possible to purchase it here in Taiwan, but it is an imported product. For a sealed can of it about a pint in size (contents settle, and are less than a pint, but I've never measured it), imported from France, it costs more than $12 US. At two heaping tablespoons per day, that would be a little pricey. Health is worth something though. Nevertheless, the Lysine supplements would be cheaper. One bottle of lysine is enough to last about three to four months (each tablet would be 1000 mg lysine). I haven't priced four bottles of it, but it is almost certain to be less than the roughly $360/yr for the yeast.

To help underscore the importance of those high-lysine legumes, let's take a quick look at the lysine from some of the foods crater mentioned.

Avocado: How much of this can you eat before reaching satiety? Avocado is very filling. I suspect it would be difficult to consume more than about three 100-gram servings in a day. That would be just over half of the daily requirement, and it's expensive.

Cucumber: Here in Asia, they sometimes fry this vegetable and put it on rice. The cooking process cooks it down a bit, so one could theoretically consume more of it. However, at 13 mg lysine per 100 grams of this, to meet 600 mg lysine, one would still need to cook up, and eat, 4600 grams of it per day. That's 4.6 kg!

Summer squash: This veggie does a little better. However, due to its high Vitamin A content, consuming large quantities of it could contribute to an overdose of Vitamin A. Just half a cup of squash is said to contain about 1000 mg of Vitamin A (and I have no idea how that translates into I.U.). I sometimes get a headache or sore eyes if I eat too much squash. Anyone else ever experience that?

Sunflower seeds: Again, this is a very concentrated food. It would be difficult to consume a full 100 grams of sunflower seeds in a day. If this were possible, it certainly looks like a good source of lysine.

These foods are available here. I have guesstimated that an average day, without meat or legumes, provides somewhere between one and two hundred milligrams of lysine on the local fare. However, perhaps if we were to concentrate on more avocado, squash, and sunflower seeds this could be doubled. It still seems like a stretch to me to consistently get a minimum of 600 mg per day. Apparently it is not a problem to get more--so we could take the diet up higher without injury (to a point I'm sure), but the body will not store the excess.

From that first list, given the situation here, the following are not options: alfalfa sprouts, apricots, figs, dandelion greens, potatoes, and soybean sprouts.

Thank you for the list, though! I appreciate the links as well, so that I can look up the information.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

PS -- In my "dairy days" I used to love putting food yeast on vanilla ice cream....mmm, mmm! I do like food yeast, but have had to wean myself of it and similar "luxuries" here.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123523
02/22/10 03:24 PM
02/22/10 03:24 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Green, what's the weight of two spoonfuls of yeast?

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: gordonb1] #123524
02/22/10 04:05 PM
02/22/10 04:05 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: gordonb1
Green, what's the weight of two spoonfuls of yeast?

That's a good question. I don't know the answer. I do know that yeast is not heavy when compared to its volume. Of all the foods I have packed into my luggage when traveling, flake yeast was definitely the lightest (i.e. required more space per pound). If you bring large amounts of it, it does add up, but just a spoonful? I have no idea.

There are at least two kinds, though. The one I described as imported from France is the flake variety. There is another one in powder form but I don't remember its price. It is also imported. I'm sure the powdered kind would be heavier.

From what crater posted, it would seem that of the flake yeast variety one would need about eight teaspoons of it for a daily dose, and perhaps just three teaspoons of the powdered variety--assuming that is the only difference between those brands. (And we don't have those brands here, naturally.)

I do wonder if Sarah comes back if she will find an answer here to her questions. I feel like I've adopted her topic!

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123525
02/22/10 04:28 PM
02/22/10 04:28 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
There is a history and a current population being Vegan in Taiwan for centuries because of their religious Buddhist belief? Monks and nuns in Taiwan have done it for centuries.

Is there any documentation of lysine deficiencies in these stricted Buddhist believing people?

Blessings
Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: Elle] #123527
02/22/10 04:35 PM
02/22/10 04:35 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Elle
There is a history and a current population being Vegan in Taiwan for centuries because of their religious Buddhist belief? Monks and nuns in Taiwan have done it for centuries.

Is there any documentation of lysine deficiencies in these stricted Buddhist believing people?

That's a good question. I know most of them use peanuts and soybeans, among other legumes. At some Buddhist restaurants here it is possible to order peanut tofu (tofu made from peanuts instead of from soybeans). It is good.

There are tribal groups in Taiwan who have the highest prevalence of G6PD disorder. They are not predominantly Buddhist, however. The Buddhists seem to be those of the Chinese people and of the Japanese descent (remnants from the Japanese occupation of Taiwan). I'm sure there must be some cases of the favism among Buddhists, but if there were any documentation of it, it would likely be in Chinese, which I do not read.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123542
02/22/10 10:44 PM
02/22/10 10:44 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Green, let's consider Crater's post. I think we've arrived.

• If 100g sunflower seed furnishes 912mg lysine, then 65g of seeds will render the required 600mg.

Spread over two meals, 65 grams is not excessive, a little more than an ounce at each meal. If complemented by other lysine sources, even less.

• And it's quite possible one's protein requirement is lower if uncooked.

• A local health store sells engevita flakes for CDN $20.00/kg, Red Star Yeast @ $30.00/kg. If you stayed off ice cream, how long would a kilo last?

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: gordonb1] #123615
02/25/10 12:48 AM
02/25/10 12:48 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Small update here. Some good news and some bad. Let's get the bad out of the way first. I asked about the sunflower seeds yesterday, and was told they are off the list due to allergies. I had begun to have some very positive thoughts about sunflower seeds, only to be disappointed on that count.

Here's the good news, but still preliminary. It seems that Lamb's Quarters may be in Taiwan, especially in the sunny south. I have yet to see one. Inquiries were made with a biologist at a local university who claims the plant is in Taiwan, so we may be able to locate some. Having said that, I still have yet to see it, and errors in translation are possible. Apparently, three specimens were collected by someone else that I may be able to look at later today. (I would recognize it in a hurry if I had it in hand.)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123626
02/25/10 03:14 PM
02/25/10 03:14 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Apparently, three specimens were collected by someone else that I may be able to look at later today.

Well, they weren't Lamb's Quarters. Much more similar to some kind of milkweed with mini-dandelion style flowers, but not milky sap. Also, the leaves were much broader and larger than Lamb's Quarters. Oh well. I now begin to wonder if there hasn't been an error in translation. No one that I have talked to here knows what the plant is.

Found a place on eBay that sells the seeds and promotes the nutritional value of Lamb's Quarters. The seeds were cheap, too. I know Taiwan's laws, though, and it's a no-can-do. Sigh. If I don't find them here...

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!