HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What's important? What should we talk about? #124001
03/10/10 10:55 PM
03/10/10 10:55 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I should have thought about this a long time ago.

What made me think of this was Mike's online book. It's obvious Mike put a lot of effort into this book, and it has a lot of fine material. I found that my response to the book is not that I disagreed with the material so much as if I were to write a book, what he talked about is not what I would talk about.

Which led to this topic. What should we talk about?

What I'm getting at is, if you were to right a book, what would you talk about?

I'd think of things in the following terms:

1.What's the fundamental problem of man?
2.Or, bigger picture, what's the fundamental problem of the universe?
3.How does God go about solving this problem?
4.What is it that people have wrong, which a book would address?

For example, in Mike's case, one can see, in looking at his book, that obedience is of paramount importance. I would hazard a guess that Mike would say the fundamental problem of man is disobedience to the law, and God solved this problem by Christ's becoming a man, taking our sinful flesh, perfectly obeying the law, and in His death paying the price which the law demanded. This is the sort of thing I have in mind.

I'll put in my thoughts regarding these questions later.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What's important? What should we talk about? [Re: Tom] #124009
03/11/10 02:44 AM
03/11/10 02:44 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, in my book I'm basically saying we need to be with Jesus to be like Jesus. Or, as Ellen put it - "Of the Spirit Jesus said, "He shall glorify Me." The Saviour came to glorify the Father by the demonstration of His love; so the Spirit was to glorify Christ by revealing His grace to the world. The very image of God is to be reproduced in humanity. The honor of God, the honor of Christ, is involved in the perfection of the character of His people. {DA 671.3}

It sounds like you'd rather write a book similar to The Great Controversy. Whereas, I wrote a book similar to Steps to Christ.

Re: What's important? What should we talk about? [Re: Mountain Man] #124012
03/11/10 12:27 PM
03/11/10 12:27 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If I wrote a book like Steps to Christ, it would discuss the questions I asked:

1.What's the fundamental problem of man?
2.Or, bigger picture, what's the fundamental problem of the universe?
3.How does God go about solving this problem?

I can't think of writing about anything without these questions coming to the forefront. I think they're necessary to have a foundation around which to understand things.

Would you care to take a shot at them? (the questions)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What's important? What should we talk about? [Re: Tom] #124015
03/12/10 02:32 AM
03/12/10 02:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Unlike Jesus.
2. Helping Jesus end the GC.
3. Sent Jesus.

Re: What's important? What should we talk about? [Re: Mountain Man] #124021
03/12/10 03:02 PM
03/12/10 03:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, what would you say saying differently than what Ty has written about it?

Re: What's important? What should we talk about? [Re: Mountain Man] #124027
03/12/10 03:54 PM
03/12/10 03:54 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
First responding to your comments, you're saying the fundamental problem of man is that he is unlike Jesus, and the fundamental problem of the universe is helping Jesus end the GC. You said that God went about solving this problem by sending Jesus.

Regarding the first answer, that man's fundamental problem is not being like Jesus, that's a good starting point. Of course, that begs the question, why isn't man like Jesus, and what should he do to become like Jesus. Comments on this?

Regarding the second point, helping Jesus end the GC isn't really a problem, right? Man not being like Jesus is a problem. But my question was really well posed, so you're answer's not too bad. What I was wanting to get at is that the issue involved is bigger than simply man's problem.

Regarding the third point, God sent Jesus, this begs the question as to how sending Jesus helps solve the problem. That is, we know from the first response that man's problem is that he isn't like Jesus, and we know from the last response that God solved this problem by sending Jesus. So that begs the question, how does the fact that God sent Jesus help man be more like Jesus?

I put in bold the two questions that came to mind, just to make it easier to see.

Regarding the Ty question, you're asking if I would say anything differently than he in regards to the three questions I asked? If this is your question, no, I wouldn't.

Re: What's important? What should we talk about? [Re: Tom] #124039
03/13/10 02:58 AM
03/13/10 02:58 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Regarding Ty, then the book you envision has already been written. No need to rewrite it.

1. Why isn't man like Jesus, and what should he do to become like Jesus? I recommend "On Being Like Jesus" in answer to this question.

2. How does the fact that God sent Jesus help man be more like Jesus? Same answer.

Re: What's important? What should we talk about? [Re: Mountain Man] #124042
03/13/10 04:21 AM
03/13/10 04:21 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Regarding Ty, then the book you envision has already been written. No need to rewrite it.

I thought you were asking if I saw something different on this subject differently than Ty. I guess that's not what you meant. There were four Gospels, right? But they didn't disagree, did they?

Even if people agree, they express things differently.

There's a question of how to organize things. I like Ty's approach very much, especially the circle of life illustration, if you're familiar with it. Ty has been a major contributor to how I think of things. But I would have my own way of organizing things.

For example, I like the idea that God will take anyone to heaven who would be happy there. This is my own idea. It wouldn't surprise me if someone else has had it, since, as Solomon said, "There's nothing new under the sun." I've not read this idea anywhere; I simply inferred it from GC 541-543. I think this would be an interesting way of organizing a discussion of the judgment. Also the atonement. Maybe some other things.

Regarding the questions I asked, I'll suggest my answers. Perhaps you'd like to contribute.

Q1.Why isn't man like Jesus, and what should he do to become like Jesus?

A.Man isn't like Jesus because he has bought into the lies of the enemy:

Quote:
Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God,
attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men.(DA 21.3)

So the problem of man is that he has been deceived. Once this is seen, the solution is obvious: the truth must be revealed. This is what Jesus Christ did. He revealed the truth about God. Man is healed by believing this truth.

Q2. How does the fact that God sent Jesus help man be more like Jesus?

A.By beholding, one is changed, transformed into the same image. By beholding Christ, we become like Him.

As we've been talking about Ty, here's something he wrote I like very much, especially the highlighted part:

Quote:
When, with sincere desire to know God, we allow our characters to be shaped by the light He gives, we place ourselves in a spiritual condition that makes further discernment of God’s character possible…Our perception of Him and our growing likeness to Him dovetail as one process….

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!