HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: gordonb1] #123819
03/04/10 02:06 PM
03/04/10 02:06 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Gordon, if Jesus was 100% human and 100% God, would it follow that he would say, "to my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God" reflecting that 100% human part and relating it to us?

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: gordonb1] #123823
03/04/10 02:59 PM
03/04/10 02:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: gordonb1

Hi Mike, It seems you had scripture for Elle, but then you offered 'stands to reason'. If there is no scripture then we should not speculate. However, the doctrine of Christ (2 John 9) is a matter of Biblical record. Not everyone chooses to believe that God gave His Only Begotten Son. But this is the theme of the New Testament, the Desire of all Nations. The Jews also denied the Son:

"Christ claimed to be the Only Begotten of the Father, but men encased in unbelief, barricaded with prejudice, denied the Holy and the Just One." - 1 Selected Messages 271.

If the Bible states that God sent His Son, then He had a Son to send. More on this. If you study (not skim) Proverbs 8: 22-30, it becomes apparent that the Son was brought forth in the days of eternity. Ellen White testifies the same. For those who are vacillating, please read the Epistles of John & John 17.

The opening chapters of Patriarchs & Prophets, as well as the Story of Redemption, make this case quite plainly. Christ was God's Son before creation. It's not 'merely a title' Mike, it's both the foundation of the gospel and the root of the Great Controversy. (Matthew 4:3 - "If thou be the Son of God...")

"Before the assembled inhabitants of heaven the king declared that none but Christ, the Only Begotten of God, could fully enter into his purposes, and to Him it was comitted to execute the mighty counsels of His will. The Son of God had wrought the Father's will in the creation of all the host of heaven, and to Him, as well as to God, their homage and allegiance were due." - Patriarchs & Prophets 36.

We must seek the weight of evidence Mike, not traces of doubt.

Thank you for responding to my post. Do you think it is speculating to say Jesus isn't eternal in the same way the Father is eternal, that is, without beginning and without end? Or, do you think it is clear in the Bible and in the SOP that Jesus is not eternal in the same way the Father is eternal, that Jesus had a beginning, that there was a time back in eternity when Jesus did exist in the same way the Father existed?

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Mountain Man] #123844
03/05/10 08:10 PM
03/05/10 08:10 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

The Spirit of God – 1

God gave this to His Son “without measure” – John 3:34

Old testament writers understood the meaning of ‘spirit’ and used it about 380 times (7307 - ruwach), establishing its definition and common usage. It was no mystery to them. It occurs just as often in the new testament (4151 - pneuma), a combined total of almost 770 examples for comparison & study.

This word Spirit (7307)is found from Genesis through Malachi (in all but seven OT books), and it’s here that the word is defined. We don’t use the new testament to define a word which has been used since creation.

The definition of ‘spirit’ lies with Moses and the prophets. The gospel writers of the NT were raised with this understanding.

As explained below, the spirit of a man reflects his inner person, his thinking, attitude, mind, and character; though tainted with sin.

For God, of course, His thoughts are holy, thus Holy Spirit.

[N.B. – ‘Spirit’ and ‘spirit’ are the same word ruwach (7307). Capitalization was imposed by the translators, but without consistency.]

Spirit - Hebrew (7307) – ruwach:

• Genesis 26:35 – “Which were a grief of mind unto Isaac and unto Rebekah.” (margin ~ bitterness of spirit)
  • Genesis 41:8 – “And it came to pass in the morning that his spirit was troubled” (Pharaoh)
  • Genesis 41:38 – “Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the Spirit of God is?” (Joseph)
  • Genesis 45:27 – “…and when he saw the wagons which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob their father revived”
  • Exodus 6:9 – “…but they hearkened not unto Moses for anguish of spirit, and for cruel bondage.”
  • Exodus 28:3 – “…speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom”
  • Exodus 31:3- “And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship”
  • Exodus 35:21 – “And they came, every one whose heart stirred him up, and every one whom his spirit made willing, and they brought the LORD’S offering”
  • Numbers 5:30 – “Or when the spirit of jealousy cometh upon him, and he be jealous over his wife.”
  • Numbers 11:25 – “And the LORD…spake unto him [Moses], and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it to the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.”
  • Numbers 14:24 – “But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land”
  • Numbers 27:18 – “And the LORD said unto Moses, take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit
  • Deuteronomy 2:30 - “…for the LORD thy God hardened his spirit, and made his heart obstinate”
  • Joshua 2:11 – “our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man”
  • Judges 8:3 – “Then their anger was abated toward him.”
  • Proverbs 29:11 – “A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.”
  • Daniel 7:15 – “I Daniel was grieved in my spirit (7308) in the midst of my body”

These few examples show the obvious similitude of mind and spirit.
_________

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: gordonb1] #123849
03/06/10 04:36 PM
03/06/10 04:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Hebrews
1:4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

According to the passage above, the "day" Jesus was "begotten" the angels were commanded to "worship" him, which means they already existed. But we know Jesus created the angels so obviously He existed before they did. Therefore, it stands to reason that the "day" Jesus was "begotten" was the day He became a human. In other words, He was not "begotten" on a "day" before He created the angels.

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Mountain Man] #123853
03/06/10 09:49 PM
03/06/10 09:49 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Interesting point MM in that He created all things as the following shows:
Quote:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
3 All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being.

To be certain of what the Word is referring more specifically to, also read the following:
Quote:

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and tabernacled among us. And we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and of truth.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Daryl] #123875
03/07/10 04:24 PM
03/07/10 04:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Right, Daryl, not only did Jesus create the angels, He also created the Universe. So the question remains unanswered - If the Father predates Jesus, if He existed eternally before Jesus was begotten, does it mean the Father spent an eternity all alone in a void, in a vacancy, in the absence of a Universe?

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Mountain Man] #124045
03/13/10 03:03 PM
03/13/10 03:03 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Thank you, Gordon: your study is good and I agree. I also agree with Elle, that the Holy Spirit is the omnipresence of Father and Son; I agree with most of what both of you say, too, but not the 3 manifestations in sequence or all at once, since the personalities are distinct.

Must the Son be eternal?? Not according to the vast majority of Bible teachers in 1919, opposing the minority led by F M Wilcox (the Review), Daniels and Prescott. It took another generation to change that majority view; Judson Washburn was one of several who held out till his death.

The Son's begotten Sonship is both in Jn 3:16 KJV and other texts and Ellen White consistently uses "begotten" and "only begotten" as the basis of Christ's eternal divine Sonship. She speaks of Father and Son as literally such, and I find that is a Biblical truth.

Eternity is not so fundamental to the truth of the Godhead, is it: Holiness is the most important attribute and then all other attributes, not so? Bible statements suggest a divine family, like "his Son" in O & NT.

The Holy Spirit is the Father and Son's individual omnipresence, without body but with personality. She writes both of "as much a person" as the Father, and of "not the same type of person" as Father and Son. We may not entangle ourselves with "person". Power and personality of God in omnipresence: simple. grin wink

The essence of our pioneers' non-trinitarianism - including Ellen White - is accepting Jn 3:16 KJV "only begotten" and not rejecting it for the NIV's wording, instead - both versions are usable, not mutually exclusive. That's my understanding of non-trinitarianism as we used to hold as a church and what I believe, too. I've kept my points brief here, too, of course.

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Mountain Man] #124046
03/13/10 03:07 PM
03/13/10 03:07 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Right, Daryl, not only did Jesus create the angels, He also created the Universe. So the question remains unanswered - If the Father predates Jesus, if He existed eternally before Jesus was begotten, does it mean the Father spent an eternity all alone in a void, in a vacancy, in the absence of a Universe?

Basically, MM & Daryl: "In the beginning was the Word," who is the begotten Son of God from eternity - too far back for us to calculate (as EGW states in comments on Jn 8:58), before becoming flesh and dwelling among us. God always was possessed of wisdom and his Word, without beginning; 'presenting' his son to the angels doesn't mean his Son was suddenly begotten just then... wink

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Mountain Man] #124056
03/14/10 07:30 PM
03/14/10 07:30 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: gordonb1

Hi Mike, It seems you had scripture for Elle, but then you offered 'stands to reason'. If there is no scripture then we should not speculate. However, the doctrine of Christ (2 John 9) is a matter of Biblical record. Not everyone chooses to believe that God gave His Only Begotten Son. But this is the theme of the New Testament, the Desire of all Nations. The Jews also denied the Son:

"Christ claimed to be the Only Begotten of the Father, but men encased in unbelief, barricaded with prejudice, denied the Holy and the Just One." - 1 Selected Messages 271.

If the Bible states that God sent His Son, then He had a Son to send. More on this. If you study (not skim) Proverbs 8: 22-30, it becomes apparent that the Son was brought forth in the days of eternity. Ellen White testifies the same. For those who are vacillating, please read the Epistles of John & John 17.

The opening chapters of Patriarchs & Prophets, as well as the Story of Redemption, make this case quite plainly. Christ was God's Son before creation. It's not 'merely a title' Mike, it's both the foundation of the gospel and the root of the Great Controversy. (Matthew 4:3 - "If thou be the Son of God...")

"Before the assembled inhabitants of heaven the king declared that none but Christ, the Only Begotten of God, could fully enter into his purposes, and to Him it was comitted to execute the mighty counsels of His will. The Son of God had wrought the Father's will in the creation of all the host of heaven, and to Him, as well as to God, their homage and allegiance were due." - Patriarchs & Prophets 36.

We must seek the weight of evidence Mike, not traces of doubt.

Thank you for responding to my post. Do you think it is speculating to say Jesus isn't eternal in the same way the Father is eternal, that is, without beginning and without end? Or, do you think it is clear in the Bible and in the SOP that Jesus is not eternal in the same way the Father is eternal, that Jesus had a beginning, that there was a time back in eternity when Jesus did exist in the same way the Father existed?

Not speculating, MM, as, yes, the Bible and SOP are clear that despite Jesus being the literal, begotten, Son of God, he is equal with the Father without being said to be absolutely co-eternal with him yet eternal, too.

Here are links to two really detailed studies - something the GC Biblical Research Institute and ATS (www.atsjats.org) doesn't do or make space to do: would they be able to hold to trinitarianism if they did? It's not about 3 or 1 but about "only begotten" and defending it. Other issues there are too, like "one indivisible substance" (trinitarian dogma) and the personality of the Spirit, etc.

http://theprophetstillspeaks.co.uk/SBBS.htm

The homepage is emphatic but gentle - do read the comments below the 'gallery' of pioneers for the study bears it out, and the main menu has links to material from 8 years of part time study by...
An English lay Adventist in Bristol, England, after his acceptance of the trinity doctrine was challenged after 30 years as an Adventist.

The challenge was that Prof George Knight was 98% right: Ellen White couldn't be a member of the church today, either, along with all her contemporaries. Hence the debate today.

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Colin] #124057
03/14/10 07:55 PM
03/14/10 07:55 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes..., after reading most of that website's quotes from our church publications and Bible studies, I'm content to believe God's Son was begotten of him in the "days of eternity" while being the Word of God "in the beginning"...

I give time to all the statements of our pioneers.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!