HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Competing "Mark of the Beast" [Re: Azenilto] #125724
06/03/10 09:33 PM
06/03/10 09:33 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Azenilto
Oh, I do read. . . But I don't think anybody gainsaid the points I made. By the way, there is another forum, similar to this, and there are also good comments in it. I think it would be worthwhile to reproduce here what a brother said:

Now, what was said above,

2 Timothy chapter 2 suggests that the gospel may be a seal when it says:

14Keep reminding them of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. 15Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 16Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 17Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18who have wandered away from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some. 19Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his,"[a] and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."

Setting the solid foundation firm against false doctrine, and identifying as its seal two phrases from the law and the prophets, ie the bible as Paul knew it.
The two seals thus seem to be the Holy Spirit and His collected teaching throughout the ages.

Yes, this confirms what I said: all is part of the same experience—the gospel motivating a Christian to keep God’s commands, which ARE NOT LIMITED to believing in Christ, but also to keep his commandments.

Jesus Himself said: "If you love Me, keep My commandments" which include, not exclude, those belonging to the law that God writes on the minds and hearts of those who accept the Gospel, as is the promise of the New Covenant (Heb. 8:6-10).
I also commented on Jesus and Johns teaching on these commandments. What would you say regarding that?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Competing "Mark of the Beast" [Re: vastergotland] #125730
06/04/10 01:12 PM
06/04/10 01:12 PM
A
Azenilto  Offline OP
Active Member 2010
Bessemer, Ala., USA
Yes, we are required to work and do all that pertains to our own interests six days a week and to rest on the seventh day. So, Sunday is a regular day for work and any other secular and/or recreational activities.

Now, we don't know all the details of a probable future Sunday law, what kind of global commitment it could bring. It could come as part of a "package" with many features, because ecology is not the only big preocupation of the world leaders today. These days I learned that the American deficit is around 1.5 trillion dollars, something that could implode not only the US, but the entire world economy. And everybody has heard different world leaders, including Pres. Obama (and the pope) speaking of the necessity of setting a "new world economic order". What could be involved in that? We know that the prophecy speaks of some measures that will represent a boycott to whoever won't accept the "mark of the beast" (Rev. 13:17). So, we just have got some hints of the potential of problems that this could entail to the faithful ones who won't accept the agenda of this economical/political/ecological/religious dictatorship which will unite the entire world under a same "save the planet" umbrella.

As to what Jesus and John said, remember that when Jesus expressed the "new commandment", based on love to God/love to the neighbor He was simply quoting Moses (compare Mark 12:28-34 with Deut. 6:5 e Lev. 19;18). So, the "new" commandment is basically the same as always, because Christ's law is not different from God's law.

So much so that for centuries the confessional documents of Lutherans, Baptists, Presbyterians and Anglicans state that the first 4 commandments of the Decalogue have to do with our duties towards God, and the last 6, the same towards the neighbor. Before the Protestant Reformation that was already basically taught by Catholics and Ortodoxes.

And the commandment to love Jesus doesn't replace the ones related to both our commitment to God or to our neighbor. On the contrary, that is the basis of it all, for whoever really loves Jesus will show in a practical way--by keeping His commandments--"If you love Me, keep My commandments".

Last edited by Azenilto; 06/12/10 12:22 PM.

A. G. Brito
Sola Scriptura Ministry
Re: The Competing "Mark of the Beast" [Re: Azenilto] #125731
06/04/10 02:11 PM
06/04/10 02:11 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Yes, we are required to work and do all that pertains to our own interests six days a week and to rest on the seventh day. So, Sunday is a regular day for work and any other secular and/or recreational activities.

Now, we don't know all the details of a probable future Sunday law, what kind of global commitment it could bring. It could come as part of a "package" with many features, because ecology is not the only big preocupation of the world leaders today. These days I learned that the American deficit is around 13 trillion dollars, something that could implode not only the US, but the entire world economy. And everybody has heard different world leaders, including Pres. Obama (and the pope) speaking of the necessity of setting a "new world economic order". What could be involved in that? We know that the prophecy speaks of some measures that will represent a boycott to whoever won't accept the "mark of the beast" (Rev. 13:17). So, we just have got some hints of the potential of problems that this could entail to the faithful ones who won't accept the agenda of this economical/political/ecological/religious dictatorship which will unite the entire world under a same "save the planet" umbrella.
So, if there is one day a worldwide law that says you may not use anything with an engine on sundays, how exactly would this be the mark of the beast, which as you pointed out earlier is likely about worship? You cant go to work, you cant mow your lawn and you cant go shopping, but does that mean you are by doing this worshipping someone other than God? How does such a law as you describe relate to a conflict in worship?
Quote:

As to what Jesus and John said, remember that when Jesus expressed the "new commandment", based on love to God/love to the neighbor He was simply quoting Moses (compare Mark 12:28-34 with Deut. 6:5 e Lev. 19;18). So, the "new" commandment is basically the same as always, because Christ's law is not different from God's law.
Jesus: You have heard it said... but I say to you... Ticking the boxes next to the ten words is adhering to the first while failing to appreciate the second.
You have heard it said, dont commit adultery... I didnt commit adultery today, tick.
But I say to you, when you look at someone lustfully... Oups...

Christs law differs from the law of Moses by removing the loopholes of eye-service.
Quote:

So much so that for centuries the confessional documents of Lutherans, Baptists, Presbyterians and Anglicans state that the first 4 commandments of the Decalogue have to do with our duties towards God, and the last 6, the same towards the neighbor. Before the Protestant Reformation that was already basically taught by Catholics and Ortodoxes.
So Lutherans, Baptists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, Catholics and Orthodox are sealed by the Spirit and the gospel together with Adventists. I am positively surprised. Usually when an Adventist starts discussing Revelation 13 and the seal/mark, he or she intends to show how Adventists stand out among the Christian churches by having an exclusive claim on being sealed.
Quote:

And the commandment to love Jesus doesn't replace the ones related to both our commitment to God or to our neighbor. On the contrary, that is the basis of it all, for whoever really loves Jesus will show in a practical way--by keeping His commandments--"If you love Me, keep My commandments".
Actually it is, "Believe in Jesus and Love one another" in Johns letter. As far as being sealed is concerned, thats all there is to it. The rest is fruit of the Spirits working in us.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does Ephesians 1:13 Implode SDA "Seal of God" Interpretation? [Re: vastergotland] #125734
06/04/10 11:14 PM
06/04/10 11:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Even though a sign and a seal both have a distinguishing purpose, it seems they are thus in quite different ways. As the following example shows, the sabbath is a sign which is maintained by both parties taking part in it together. Exodus 31:16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever;

A seal on the other hand, while being a distinguishing mark, is so through the authority of the one who does the sealing. Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who[a] is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Both thus distinguish the people of God but in fundamentally different ways. The sign through the partaking of the covenant and its promises and stipulations, while the seal is entirely founded on the authority and power on the part who bestows it.

I partly agree. But the main distinction I see between sign and seal is that, although both are closely related, “seal” is a stronger word than “sign.” In Revelation the sign becomes a seal, that is, it becomes an open and public mark of allegiance to one of the two opposing powers, and divides the whole humanity into two classes.

Quote:
So the question arises, which seals does the bible speak about. Having established that sign does not mean seal, there is no biblical foundation (at least any that has been presented here, which I am convinced it would have been had it existed) for identifying the sabbath as a seal.

Explained above.

Quote:
They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some. 19Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his,"[a] and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."

Setting the solid foundation firm against false doctrine, and identifying as its seal two phrases from the law and the prophets, ie the bible as Paul knew it.
The two seals thus seem to be the Holy Spirit and His collected teaching throughout the ages.

OK, I agree. However, it’s clear that there will be a point of truth, a point among the teachings of the Holy Spirit, which will be especially controverted. And the view that this point will be the Sabbath/Sunday issue is very, very plausible.

Quote:
First we may want to widen the definitions a little. In Johns first letter, we can read a clear definition of what he meant by Gods commands:

[1 John 3:21 and 1 John 5:1 quoted]

We thus see that identifying "commandments" with the verses of exodus chapter 20 is in fact limiting the verses in revelation.

Vaster, this sincerely is a kind of reasoning I don’t understand. Any Christian should know better than trying to put the 10 commandments in opposition to the 2 commandments of love to God/love to neighbor, or to the simple commandment of “love.” It’s more than clear that the first four commandments have to do with our love to God, and the last six, with our love to man. The 10 are the unfolding of the 2, and the 2 are a summary of the 10. “Love” unfolds into the 2, which unfold into the 10.

“The commandments, ‘You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,’ and any other commandment, are summed up in this sentence, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law” (Rom. 13:9, 10).

“And now I beg you, lady, not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning, that we love one another. And this is love, that we follow his commandments; this is the commandment, as you have heard from the beginning, that you follow love” (1 John 1:5, 6).

Quote:
Lastly, and digressing from my own point made above, concerning the widespread view that sunday is the christian sabbath, I would ask, which of the 10 commandments is widely kept in our world today?

Nominally, 9 of them. Like the rich young ruler, people don’t consider themselves transgressor of these commandments. But there is a general consensus as to one of the commandments having been abolished or changed.

Re: Does Ephesians 1:13 Implode SDA "Seal of God" Interpretation? [Re: Rosangela] #125748
06/05/10 07:46 AM
06/05/10 07:46 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Even though a sign and a seal both have a distinguishing purpose, it seems they are thus in quite different ways. As the following example shows, the sabbath is a sign which is maintained by both parties taking part in it together. Exodus 31:16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever;

A seal on the other hand, while being a distinguishing mark, is so through the authority of the one who does the sealing. Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who[a] is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Both thus distinguish the people of God but in fundamentally different ways. The sign through the partaking of the covenant and its promises and stipulations, while the seal is entirely founded on the authority and power on the part who bestows it.

I partly agree. But the main distinction I see between sign and seal is that, although both are closely related, “seal” is a stronger word than “sign.” In Revelation the sign becomes a seal, that is, it becomes an open and public mark of allegiance to one of the two opposing powers, and divides the whole humanity into two classes.
If you could only make this last point through biblestudy alone..
Ad it is, we might not come to agreement on this question.
Quote:

Quote:
So the question arises, which seals does the bible speak about. Having established that sign does not mean seal, there is no biblical foundation (at least any that has been presented here, which I am convinced it would have been had it existed) for identifying the sabbath as a seal.

Explained above.
Dito
Quote:

Quote:
They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some. 19Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his,"[a] and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."

OK, I agree. However, it’s clear that there will be a point of truth, a point among the teachings of the Holy Spirit, which will be especially controverted. And the view that this point will be the Sabbath/Sunday issue is very, very plausible.
It is possible, but certainly not the only nor the strongest candidate for the honor of being breaking point doctrine.
Quote:

Quote:
First we may want to widen the definitions a little. In Johns first letter, we can read a clear definition of what he meant by Gods commands:

[1 John 3:21 and 1 John 5:1 quoted]

We thus see that identifying "commandments" with the verses of exodus chapter 20 is in fact limiting the verses in revelation.

Vaster, this sincerely is a kind of reasoning I don’t understand. Any Christian should know better than trying to put the 10 commandments in opposition to the 2 commandments of love to God/love to neighbor, or to the simple commandment of “love.” It’s more than clear that the first four commandments have to do with our love to God, and the last six, with our love to man. The 10 are the unfolding of the 2, and the 2 are a summary of the 10. “Love” unfolds into the 2, which unfold into the 10.
Well, you could have quoted the last sentence in this paragraph of mine also, where I make reference to Jesus sermon on the mount, which speaks on the last 6 of the 10. That reference was important for avoiding the issue you noted.
Quote:

“The commandments, ‘You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,’ and any other commandment, are summed up in this sentence, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law” (Rom. 13:9, 10).

“And now I beg you, lady, not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning, that we love one another. And this is love, that we follow his commandments; this is the commandment, as you have heard from the beginning, that you follow love” (1 John 1:5, 6).
The interesting thing with this letter is that John gives us his definition of commandment. Taking verses as prooftext, you can show anything, but taking the letter as a whole, there is little room for misunderstanding what he means to say.
Quote:

Quote:
Lastly, and digressing from my own point made above, concerning the widespread view that sunday is the christian sabbath, I would ask, which of the 10 commandments is widely kept in our world today?

Nominally, 9 of them. Like the rich young ruler, people don’t consider themselves transgressor of these commandments. But there is a general consensus as to one of the commandments having been abolished or changed.
People dont generally consider themselves transgressors of 10 of the commandments simply because they are found irrelevant as the Lawgiver is found irrelevant. There may be a consensus about the sabbath command by the subgroup of people who interest themselves in such questions within the much smaller subgroup of people who find the Lawgiver relevant. In Sweden, I believe there are less than 10% christians. For 90 % of the population this is a non-issue by default. Out of those christians, maybe 10 % care about the sabbath/sunday question. Assuming these numbers to be correct, there is interest in the question for 1% of the population. As this includes Adventists, there isnt even consensus among this subgroup.

Last edited by västergötland; 06/05/10 07:55 AM.

Galatians 2

Re: Does Ephesians 1:13 Implode SDA "Seal of God" Interpretation? [Re: vastergotland] #125761
06/06/10 12:33 AM
06/06/10 12:33 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:

I suppose we have agreed that the seal of God is the truth, or a special point of truth, revealed by the Holy Spirit, while the mark of the beast is a false doctrine.
Please bear in mind that a seal of God placed on the forehead obviously means the person accepted the whole body of truths revealed by the Holy Spirit. If, at the end of time, light is brought upon the whole world about a particular point of truth which most of its inhabitants weren’t aware of before, it’s obvious that those who accept it will receive the seal of God, while those who reject it will receive the mark of the beast.
And please, bear also in mind that the point of truth related to the seal of God/mark of the beast must be something easily visible, not something general as loving God and loving your neighbor – otherwise, how will it be known on which side you are? The side taken by every person must be clearly known if people are going to be persecuted and threatened with death for following true doctrine instead of false doctrine (Rev. 13: 15-17).

Quote:
The interesting thing with this letter is that John gives us his definition of commandment. Taking verses as prooftext, you can show anything, but taking the letter as a whole, there is little room for misunderstanding what he means to say.

What you are claiming is that John gives a definition of his own to the word “commandments”? And when he defines sin as the transgression of the law, do you also claim he gives a definition of his own to the word “law”?

Quote:
In Sweden, I believe there are less than 10% christians.

Accoding to Wiki, an article on Sweden's official website lists the following facts about religion in Sweden:
Quote:
• Almost 8 out of 10 Swedes are members of the Church of Sweden - 7 million.
• Only 1 in 10 Swedes thinks religion is important in daily life.
• Around 7 out of 10 children are christened in the Church of Sweden.
• Just over 5 out of 10 weddings take place in church.
• Almost 9 out of 10 Swedes have Christian burials.
• Islam has around 130,000 adherents in Sweden (more according to Muslim sources).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Sweden
I’m not sure if the information is contradictory, or if Swedens are contradictory. Still according to Wiki:
Quote:
Phil Zuckerman, an Associate Professor of Sociology at Pitzer College writes of several academic sources who have in recent years placed atheism rates in Sweden between 46% and 85%, with one source reporting that only 17% of respondents self-identified as "atheist."

Is the percentage of atheists 46%, 85% or 17%? If such a large percentage of Swedes are atheists, how come 7 out of 10 children are christened in the Church of Sweden? And how come 9 out of 10 Swedes have Christian burials?
It seems to me most of them are nominal Christians.

Quote:
Assuming these numbers to be correct, there is interest in the question for 1% of the population.

You are speaking in terms of now. You can’t judge what will happen then by what happens now.

Re: Does Ephesians 1:13 Implode SDA "Seal of God" Interpretation? [Re: Rosangela] #125767
06/06/10 09:04 AM
06/06/10 09:04 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Quote:

I suppose we have agreed that the seal of God is the truth, or a special point of truth, revealed by the Holy Spirit, while the mark of the beast is a false doctrine.
That would actually be a mix of the two seals found, but so far so good.
Quote:

Please bear in mind that a seal of God placed on the forehead obviously means the person accepted the whole body of truths revealed by the Holy Spirit. If, at the end of time, light is brought upon the whole world about a particular point of truth which most of its inhabitants weren’t aware of before, it’s obvious that those who accept it will receive the seal of God, while those who reject it will receive the mark of the beast.
And please, bear also in mind that the point of truth related to the seal of God/mark of the beast must be something easily visible, not something general as loving God and loving your neighbor – otherwise, how will it be known on which side you are? The side taken by every person must be clearly known if people are going to be persecuted and threatened with death for following true doctrine instead of false doctrine (Rev. 13: 15-17).
I am thinking that since it is the beast who does the marking, what is marked doesnt necessarily have to be clearly visible to human eyes.
Quote:

Quote:

What you are claiming is that John gives a definition of his own to the word “commandments”? And when he defines sin as the transgression of the law, do you also claim he gives a definition of his own to the word “law”?
John grew up in a society where "the law" referred to the entire corpus of the books of Moses, there were 613 laws recognized and lots of auxiliary laws to hedge in the 613. He then walked with Jesus throughout His years of ministry, seeing the auxiliaries abolished and the 613 reformed. He often heard Jesus tell His disciples, [John 13:34 John 14:15 John 14:21 John 15:10 John 15:12 John 15:14 John 15:17] He then sat through the council of Jerusalem where the question apparently was raised, which of the signs given to Israel relate to non-jewish believers? Maybe he even saw the destruction of the temple, making a whole bunch of the 613 obsolete.

Adventists on the other hand grow up in a subculture where any reference to "law" or "commandment" means the contents of exodus chapter 20.

I am not saying John gives a definition of his own to the word "commandment", I am saying he defines the word so that we non-jewish believers will know what he is talking about.
Quote:

Quote:
In Sweden, I believe there are less than 10% christians.

Accoding to Wiki, an article on Sweden's official website lists the following facts about religion in Sweden:
Quote:
• Almost 8 out of 10 Swedes are members of the Church of Sweden - 7 million.
• Only 1 in 10 Swedes thinks religion is important in daily life.
• Around 7 out of 10 children are christened in the Church of Sweden.
• Just over 5 out of 10 weddings take place in church.
• Almost 9 out of 10 Swedes have Christian burials.
• Islam has around 130,000 adherents in Sweden (more according to Muslim sources).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Sweden
I’m not sure if the information is contradictory, or if Swedens are contradictory. Still according to Wiki:
Quote:
Phil Zuckerman, an Associate Professor of Sociology at Pitzer College writes of several academic sources who have in recent years placed atheism rates in Sweden between 46% and 85%, with one source reporting that only 17% of respondents self-identified as "atheist."

Is the percentage of atheists 46%, 85% or 17%? If such a large percentage of Swedes are atheists, how come 7 out of 10 children are christened in the Church of Sweden? And how come 9 out of 10 Swedes have Christian burials?
It seems to me most of them are nominal Christians.
Most of those members of the church of Sweden would not describe themselves as believers in the God of christianity. They will go to a church service for baptisms, weddings and funerals. Questions such as "who wrote the gospels", giving alternatives to choose from with only one set of names being the correct one give mid-range points at televised pop quizzes. Are they christian in any meaningful sense of the word, when they wont even identify themselves as such?
Quote:

Quote:
Assuming these numbers to be correct, there is interest in the question for 1% of the population.

You are speaking in terms of now. You can’t judge what will happen then by what happens now.
You were judging the relative importance of the 9 vs the 1 based on the present situation.

Galatians 2

Re: Does Ephesians 1:13 Implode SDA "Seal of God" Interpretation? [Re: vastergotland] #125772
06/06/10 01:32 PM
06/06/10 01:32 PM
A
Azenilto  Offline OP
Active Member 2010
Bessemer, Ala., USA
Dear friend

First, what you ask me about details of the "Sunday law" I explained clearly that we don't have the complete picture as yet. It is like a jigsaw puzzle, with pieces still missing, but with the ones already in place giving us a good idea of the basic landscape pictured in the complete set.

Remember that in Matt. 5:21ff Jesus is not giving any NEW LAWS, but stressing the ethical, moral and spiritual aspects of the law that had been lost sight of by His hearers due to the bad instructors they had. It was always wrong to look at a woman lustfully, as Job already knew (Job 31:1). That was not a new rule to start at that point, just created by the Christ to His followers.

See that when Jesus refers to the tithing practice of the Jewish leaders, He confirms that technically they were right in doing what they did, but they missed the "justice, mercy and faith" (Matt. 23:23). That BELONGED TO THE LAW, but they lost sight of. So, He was not adding to the law those virtues as He said that. They were already there, but were missed by the religious leaders of Israel.

At the end of His ministry Jesus recommended that His disciples and the "multitudes" followed strictly ALL that was taught by their religious leaders, except for theit hyppocrital attitudes (Matt. 23:1-3). This "ALL" includes inescapably the Sabbath commandment (see Luke 13:14). If Jesus had in mind to limit God's law to nine commandments, He would have mentioned that the Sabbath was out of the picture. Remember, that was His last public address.

As to the confessional documents of the different churches, yes, they OFFICIALLY teach that the 10 Commandments is God's Moral Law, which contrasts with the "Cerimonial" and "Civil" laws, these last two no more applicable to the Church. But in practical terms, there is a tremendous ambiguity regarding the 4th commandment. So much so that I have been highlighting among Brazilian Evangelicals the dilemma they face as the World Cup (soccer championship) is approaching.

By their own rules, they are not supposed to watch sports on TV (or a stadium) on the "Lord's Day". Even the more recent "Doctrinal Statement" of the two most important Baptist conventions in Brazil, say that on the "Christian Sabbath", which would be Sunday, no secular or recreational activity should be engaged in by a Christian Baptist.

However, nobody takes this seriously. I doubt of any Brazilian Baptist (or Presbyterian, who have about the same rule clearly defined in the Westminster Confession of Faith) who would miss the games on their TV sets on Sundays, especially if the Brazilian team is playing, knowing how Brazilians are crazy regarding soccer.

A faithful 7th-day Adventist would not see any games on the Sabbath day. The priority on this day is God's will, not man's accomplishments.

I would say that the lack of importance attributed to this "keep Sunday" question is lack of CONVICTION that there was really any change of the sanctity of the Sabbath to Sunday, for the "proofs" provided in these documents are not convincing at all. I think that even the members of these Sunday-keeping churches don't believe what they hear their leaders say, according to what their confessional documents allege about that.

A. G. Brito
Sola Scriptura Ministry
Re: Does Ephesians 1:13 Implode SDA "Seal of God" Interpretation? [Re: Azenilto] #125773
06/06/10 01:54 PM
06/06/10 01:54 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Dear friend

First, what you ask me about details of the "Sunday law" I explained clearly that we don't have the complete picture as yet. It is like a jigsaw puzzle, with pieces still missing, but with the ones already in place giving us a good idea of the basic landscape pictured in the complete set.

Remember that in Matt. 5:21ff Jesus is not giving any NEW LAWS, but stressing the ethical, moral and spiritual aspects of the law that had been lost sight of by His hearers due to the bad instructors they had. It was always wrong to look at a woman lustfully, as Job already knew (Job 31:1). That was not a new rule to start at that point, just created by the Christ to His followers.

See that when Jesus refers to the tithing practice of the Jewish leaders, He confirms that technically they were right in doing what they did, but they missed the "justice, mercy and faith" (Matt. 23:23). That BELONGED TO THE LAW, but they lost sight of. So, He was not adding to the law those virtues as He said that. They were already there, but were missed by the religious leaders of Israel.
In effect reforming the law, similar to how Francis of Assisi or Martin Luther did later with the church.
Quote:

At the end of His ministry Jesus recommended that His disciples and the "multitudes" followed strictly ALL that was taught by their religious leaders, except for theit hyppocrital attitudes (Matt. 23:1-3). This "ALL" includes inescapably the Sabbath commandment (see Luke 13:14). If Jesus had in mind to limit God's law to nine commandments, He would have mentioned that the Sabbath was out of the picture. Remember, that was His last public address.
Absolutely so. I dont deny that the Sabbath is in the law when I question some peoples assertion that it would be the centerpiece of the law.
Quote:

As to the confessional documents of the different churches, yes, they OFFICIALLY teach that the 10 Commandments is God's Moral Law, which contrasts with the "Cerimonial" and "Civil" laws, these last two no more applicable to the Church. But in practical terms, there is a tremendous ambiguity regarding the 4th commandment. So much so that I have been highlighting among Brazilian Evangelicals the dilemma they face as the World Cup (soccer championship) is approaching.
Would you say the situation is any better in the SDA church? That there is no difference between official teaching and on the ground practice among us?
Quote:

By their own rules, they are not supposed to watch sports on TV (or a stadium) on the "Lord's Day". Even the more recent "Doctrinal Statement" of the two most important Baptist conventions in Brazil, say that on the "Christian Sabbath", which would be Sunday, no secular or recreational activity should be engaged in by a Christian Baptist.

However, nobody takes this seriously. I doubt of any Brazilian Baptist (or Presbyterian, who have about the same rule clearly defined in the Westminster Confession of Faith) who would miss the games on their TV sets on Sundays, especially if the Brazilian team is playing, knowing how Brazilians are crazy regarding soccer.

A faithful 7th-day Adventist would not see any games on the Sabbath day. The priority on this day is God's will, not man's accomplishments.
Id say this statement would ensure that the ratio of member to faithful member is about the same in SDA churches as it is in Baptist churches in Brazil.
Quote:

I would say that the lack of importance attributed to this "keep Sunday" question is lack of CONVICTION that there was really any change of the sanctity of the Sabbath to Sunday, for the "proofs" provided in these documents are not convincing at all. I think that even the mambers of these Sunday-keeping church don't believe what they hear their leaders say, according to what their confessional documents allege about that.

Galatians 2

Re: Does Ephesians 1:13 Implode SDA "Seal of God" Interpretation? [Re: vastergotland] #125774
06/06/10 02:13 PM
06/06/10 02:13 PM
A
Azenilto  Offline OP
Active Member 2010
Bessemer, Ala., USA
Hello, my friend.

I wouldn't establish any 'index' of faithful/unfaithful members in any Church. What I am stressing is the OFFICIAL TEACHING and the OFFICIAL ATTITUDE. Nobody would deny that as a Church, Seventh-day Adventists do everything to highlight the importance of ALL the commandments of God's law, and there is no ambiguity regarding the relevance of the 4th commandament and how to keep it faithfully, which is not what we see with the other Christians.

One example of that we had recently in Brazil, when there were entrance exams that are to be taken by all those who want to enter any college across the country. These exams were slated to two days--Saturday and Sunday.

SDA authorities made arrangements with educational authorities that the members of the SDA Church were assigned a special room where they waited, reading their Bibles or other Christian literature, while the Sabbath hours were past. Only after sunset they got their exam sheets to start filling out their answers.

I don't know of any religious leader of other denominations that had the same preocupation regarding having the members of their churches respecting the Sunday principle. . . And the funny thing is that even a "Baptist Newsletter" that I regularly receive brought news about the arrangement of these SDA authorities regarding respect to the Sabbath principle. They never did anything similar to that, as far as I know, regarding their Sunday.

A. G. Brito
Sola Scriptura Ministry
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!