HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12634
02/20/05 05:41 PM
02/20/05 05:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
This one has troubled alot of people, myself included. What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? How can a person know the difference? especially in the middle of being tempted? Sometimes a particular temptation is so strong, so overwhelming that it's difficult to tell whether I'm already guilty of it. Should I continue resisting the temptation, or am I already guilty of it, and should start focusing on repenting of my sin? Does anyone know what I mean?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12635
02/21/05 12:23 PM
02/21/05 12:23 PM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings Brother Mike,

The temptation becomes sin when our minds are diverted from Christ Jesus.

In me may be the tare, which is hidden inside of my heart. Christ is teaching us today how to let go of these hidden things inside the heart which divert the mind.

quote:
Temptations will pour in upon us; for by them we are to be tried during our probation. This is the proving of God, the revelation of our own hearts. There is no sin in having temptation; but sin comes in when temptation is yielded to. {ST, May 27, 1897 par. 3}
So if you find yourself diverted of Christ, praise the Lord and pray for Him to teach you how to remove the tare of the heart.

It is just the past week that Christ has been working on a tare in my heart. It is a process that teaches us humility and humbles ourselves before the Lord. For me it was greatly painful for I am a sinner and often do not like to see my faults, but Jesus loves me (& I Him) and wants me to see with His eyes what He sees in me. And if I shall pray Lord make me whole, He will guide me into all truth, even the truth that is dwelling in me.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12636
02/21/05 05:06 PM
02/21/05 05:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, sister Cheri. That makes alot of sense, especially as it pertains to unknown sins, or sins of ignorance, that may lurk within us. But what about known sins? Is being tempted over and over again an indication that we haven't overcome that particular known sin?

In other words, when can we be sure that it has been crucified? If a certain defective trait of character or imperfection has been crucified can we still be tempted with it again? If so, then what does it mean? Does it mean it hasn't been crucified? Do you know what I mean?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12637
02/21/05 05:09 PM
02/21/05 05:09 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Being tempted again and again does not mean that it (the sin itself) was not overcome, but it is when you fall into it again and again that it was not overcome. We are dead to sin, but that does not mean you will not be tempted again.
God Bless,
Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12638
02/21/05 07:40 PM
02/21/05 07:40 PM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings Brother Mike,

Hearing sin is just that...hearing it. Being harassed by Satan is just that.

It is not a character flaw to hear sin. For if it was then Christ would have failed being the spotless Lamb of God while in the desert being presented with temptation.

To be crucified with Christ means that we are dying self. That we are coming to Christ Jesus to ask for a clean character. Yet during our walk there may be hidden things that haunt us and we might sweep it beneath our minds while it lays dormat in the heart. Prayerfully this is our time of ignorance and not self-willed ignorance. So we need to learn from the Psalmist:

Psalm 26:2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.

Go to our Lord, inquire of Him, He will be sure to let us know if we are truly crucified in Christ Jesus.

Cheri Fritz

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12639
02/21/05 08:50 PM
02/21/05 08:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Will, that sounds reasonable to me. But being tempted over and over again for the same thing sure makes life a battle and a march, doesn't it? I didn't understand this important insight when I first became a Christian. I used to think I was automatically guilty every time I was tempted to be unChristlike.

That is, I felt guilty and unclean because it was difficult for me to tell the difference between being tempted and being guilty. Even now there are times when I feel grossed out and disgusted when I'm tempted. But I've learned not to blame myself for the initial existence of the unholy thoughts and feelings that pop up inside my head.

Cheri, thank you for reminding me that Jesus Himself was tempted. It is truly comforting to know that it is not a sin to be tempted. But I'm still having a hard time understanding the difference between known and unknown defective traits of character. How do you define the differences between the two? Sin can be very deceiving, therefore, I don't want to fall into a snare thinking I'm safe, thinking I'm not guilty because it was an unknown sin, or whatever.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12640
02/22/05 11:24 AM
02/22/05 11:24 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings Brother Mike,

The Holy Spirit teaches all truth, we must call on the power of the Holy Spirit to teach us to discern. "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you."

Cheri Fritzd

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12641
02/22/05 11:34 AM
02/22/05 11:34 AM
Shelley  Offline
Posting New Member
Australia
quote:
I don't want to fall into a snare thinking I'm safe, thinking I'm not guilty because it was an unknown sin, or whatever.
We are all guilty none of us is without sin. The good news is that we have Jesus who covers us with His righteousness. Maybe I am weird, but I don't feel guilty when I have been shown that I have committed an unknown sin. I feel blessed that God is interested enough in me to want to show me the error of my way. He treats me tenderly and does not condemn me.

The dictionary defines guilt as ( having done wrong, deserving to be blamed or punished). We have all done wrong and deserve to be punished. However, we can rejoice in the fact that Jesus took the blame and punishment that was meant for us. I am guilty, guilty, guilty and I can do nothing to change that fact. Jesus has taken my guilt and shame and I can rejoice. And I am certainly not going to take it back again. This does not mean that I do not feel sorry, confess my sins, or try to make amends when I have done something wrong.

1 John 2:1 (NLT) My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if you do sin, there is someone to plead for you before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who pleases God.

[ February 22, 2005, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Shelley ]

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12642
02/23/05 04:17 AM
02/23/05 04:17 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Shelley, thank you for sharing. Maybe I'm not understanding your point, so please forgive me, but it sounds like you're saying we'll never really be completely free of unknown sins and imperfections, that we'll always be sinful and defective in one way or another.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12643
02/23/05 09:02 AM
02/23/05 09:02 AM
Shelley  Offline
Posting New Member
Australia
quote:
it sounds like you're saying we'll never really be completely free of unknown sins and imperfections, that we'll always be sinful and defective in one way or another.
You do understand my point as I am saying exactly what you thought I was saying.

The following verse indicates that we may still sin.

quote:
1 John 2:1 (NLT) My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if you do sin, there is someone to plead for you before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who pleases God.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!