HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 44 of 103 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126983
08/27/10 05:31 PM
08/27/10 05:31 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
T:My argument has been the following:

1.If God is certain an event will occur, say X, then X is certain to occur.
2.If X is certain to occur, then there is no risk that it will not occur.

So if God was certain that Christ would not sin, there is no chance that Christ would sin, and God undertook no risk whatsoever in sending Him.

This is so clear and straightforward, I don't see where the scope for argument is.

MM:It's what you're not saying that is unclear.

I'm glad you think it's clear. Do you agree with the argument?

Quote:
Do you believe the Bible clearly says the Father feared Jesus would fail, and sent Him anyhow hoping He would succeed? If so, please post the biblical quotes which clearly say so. If you can establish this point, then we can study what Ellen meant when she used the word "risk" in relation to Jesus' messianic mission.

Post 126911 goes into detail regarding why I disagree with your reasoning here. I've invited you to respond to that post.

Please don't just keep asking the same questions over and over again when they've already been addressed. Please respond to the post that addresses the question.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126985
08/27/10 05:40 PM
08/27/10 05:40 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I doubt you will be able to clarify the mathematical model for how God relates to His creation.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #126986
08/27/10 06:17 PM
08/27/10 06:17 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
No, in my view it doesn't require that. As I explained some pages ago, the word "risk" is applied to Christ, not to God. God sent His Son to meet a risk.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that there was no risk to God that He would lose His Son? But there was a risk to Christ that He would be lost? This is the only thing I can think of that you could mean, but this doesn't appear to me to make sense, so perhaps you have something else in mind.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126987
08/27/10 06:23 PM
08/27/10 06:23 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Thomas
I doubt you will be able to clarify the mathematical model for how God relates to His creation.

This is rather a cryptic comment. Perhaps you could explain your meaning?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126989
08/27/10 07:41 PM
08/27/10 07:41 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
>>I would never say that Mary’s chance of getting pregnant without the participation of a male was of 100%, even if God had revealed to me in a dream that she would get pregnant. I would say that her chance of getting pregnant without the participation of a male was zero – that’s why what happened was a miracle.<<

I don't see that what you're saying makes any sense.

What I meant was, if I used just the posterior probability to refer to what happened to Mary, that is, if I said, as you were doing, that her chance of getting pregnant was of 100%, I wouldn’t feel I was doing justice to the miracle involved, or making evident the impossibility inherent in the case.
Anyway, I’m not interested in pursuing this any further, and, as I said, I’ll let you have the last word on this.

Quote:
I'll give one using the argument you said you agreed with.

Say X is that Christ would not be overcome by any temptation. If God was certain that Christ would not be overcome by any temptation, then it is certain that Christ would not be overcome by any temptation, and God incurred no risk in sending Him. I don't see anything to disagree with here, given you agreed with my argument presented above. This is just specifying a specific event for "X".

I must make you a question. Do you think that the belief that God knows all the aspects of the future (as opposed to knowing just the possibilities) implies that peril/risk doesn’t in fact exist?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #126990
08/27/10 08:43 PM
08/27/10 08:43 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
What I meant was, if I used just the posterior probability to refer to what happened to Mary, that is, if I said, as you were doing,

This isn't what I was doing.

Quote:
that her chance of getting pregnant was of 100%, I wouldn’t feel I was doing justice to the miracle involved, or making evident the impossibility inherent in the case.
Anyway, I’m not interested in pursuing this any further, and, as I said, I’ll let you have the last word on this.

Her chance of being pregnant is based on the argument I provided that you said you agreed with.

Quote:
I'll give one using the argument you said you agreed with.

Say X is that Christ would not be overcome by any temptation. If God was certain that Christ would not be overcome by any temptation, then it is certain that Christ would not be overcome by any temptation, and God incurred no risk in sending Him. I don't see anything to disagree with here, given you agreed with my argument presented above. This is just specifying a specific event for "X".

R:I must make(ask) you a question. Do you think that the belief that God knows all the aspects of the future (as opposed to knowing just the possibilities) implies that peril/risk doesn’t in fact exist?

As asked, I can't answer the question, because it assumes that knowing all aspects of the future is in opposition to "knowing just the possibilities." Our disagreement, in regards to the future, involves what the nature or the reality of the future is. I believe that God knows all aspects of the future. I just think the content of the future is different than what your, more limited, view holds. I believe the content of the future *includes* the possibilities, so these cannot be ignored.

I'll re-ask the question this way: "Do you believe that if the future were such that God could see the one thing that will happen at any moment in time, that this would imply that peril/risk doesn’t in fact exist?" Peril is defined:

Quote:
An event which may trigger a damage or loss due to earthquake, fire, lightning, vandalism, theft, and other similar risks.

So given that earthquakes, fires, lightning, etc. exist, then peril would exist, right?

However, if God knew that at a given period time, at a particular place) that no dangerous events would occur, then there would be no loss or peril (for that period of time, and that place).

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126994
08/27/10 09:17 PM
08/27/10 09:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I'll re-ask the question this way: "Do you believe that if the future were such that God could see the one thing that will happen at any moment in time, that this would imply that peril/risk doesn’t in fact exist?" Peril is defined:

Quote:
An event which may trigger a damage or loss due to earthquake, fire, lightning, vandalism, theft, and other similar risks.

So given that earthquakes, fires, lightning, etc. exist, then peril would exist, right?

However, if God knew that at a given period time, at a particular place) that no dangerous events would occur, then there would be no loss or peril (for that period of time, and that place).

But if I was in the middle of an earthquake and yet escaped without any harm? Was I exposed to peril or not?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127000
08/27/10 10:25 PM
08/27/10 10:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
EW: He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss. {DA 49.1}

K: So how do you see peril in common with every human soul not being risk? Guess you haven't defined it yet.

The risk was real. Jesus could have failed and suffered eternal loss. But what I'm saying is - The risks Jesus faced while here in the flesh had nothing to do with the Father knowing Jesus would succeed. Nor did it have anything to do with the fact Jesus believed He would succeed. Jesus still had to work to succeed.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127001
08/27/10 10:46 PM
08/27/10 10:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: The Scriptures present God as taking risks in general. In regards to Christ, the only way in which God could NOT have been taking a risk by sending Christ would be if there was no chance that Christ could have fallen in his conflict against Satan and temptation. Your view:

1.God was absolutely certain that Christ would succeed.
2.Therefore it was absolutely certain that Christ would succeed.
3.Therefore Christ could not have failed in His battle against Satan and temptation.

The reason I say the following is backwards - "You seen to be implying the Messianic prophecies obviously imply conditionality (even though the language employed is empathic and positive) because you believe God was uncertain Jesus would succeed." - is because I am not reasoning that because I believe God was uncertain that Jesus would succeed that it follows that conditionality is involved in the Messianic prophecies. I am reasoning that the temptations which Christ confronted were real, and that He could have fallen to them. Therefore God could not have been certain that Christ would succeed (see points 1-3 above).

Even Jesus, while here in the flesh, was 100% certain He was going to succeed on the cross. Not once did He express doubt about it. There was nothing conditional about the prophecies or Jesus' belief. Yet, the risks He faced were real. He could have failed. But, His success on the cross was as much a fact before and after He succeeded. None of this, however, diminishes the risks Jesus faced before He succeeded.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127004
08/27/10 11:35 PM
08/27/10 11:35 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
But if I was in the middle of an earthquake and yet escaped without any harm? Was I exposed to peril or not?

It depends upon if there was any possibility of your being hurt. If there was, then you were. If there was not, then you weren't.

Page 44 of 103 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!