HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #126962
08/27/10 05:01 AM
08/27/10 05:01 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
"Condemnation"...: this is where I personally disagree with the lesson study, helped by several leading, senior pastors. smile

The late lesson author, and the church generally it seems, too, hold this view that "condemnation" comes from sinful choices we each make. This is mistaken, since "guilt" is what comes from our sins, while condemnation is...the legal status of sinful flesh.

"Under the law" (eg. Rom 6:14b) is equally the legal environment of sinful flesh, given this legal status of condemnation of sinful mankind's nature, not an experience of guilty - else Christ would not have been "born...under the law". Both these legal aspects of sinful nature - "no condemnation" and "under the law" - indeed are changed in the teachings of Romans. Condemnation is removed from the world, by grace (2 Cor 5:14b; Heb 2:9; Rom 8:1c, only in the KJV, shouldn't be there, as it fits in Rom 8:4 only, instead, for it is, truly, an experience of faith) - and we experience being "under grace" (Rom 6:14b), rather than the law's condemnation of our nature, by daily death to self through faith.

Christ does this for the world (its justification by grace in Christ's person) and also in us (justification by faith, i.e. the experience we have of justification by grace) by him having taken our condemned, sinful flesh as his own and dying primarily, also as the Son of God and Author of life, putting our selfish, sinful flesh to death eternally as he suffered divine wrath against sin.

With our sinful flesh thus legally executed, as required by the law condemning it for its sinfulness, in God's judgement on sin in Jesus for us, the whole world is thereby freed from condemnation and believers may then experience this life "under grace" and "not under law" (Heb 2:14, 15). Sinful nature itself, in principle & before & separate from the guilt from our 'eventual' choice to sin, suffers condemnation and being under the law. The redemption that is through Christ Jesus is from condemned, sinful nature and the carnal mind, not just release from guilt.

Were "under the law" about having sinned 'again', then Jesus "being born of a woman, born under the law" makes no sense, Biblically. It makes sense for Jesus if "under the law" means solely the legal environment of sinful nature, which he took for his own and "condemned sin in the flesh". Condemned, sinful nature was then judged by our holy God in our Substitute's death for sin, redeeming us from our nature's judgement of death.

Any questions?

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Rosangela] #126966
08/27/10 01:39 PM
08/27/10 01:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
R: Mike, don't you think there is a struggle with the flesh before (in the process of) conversion, and a struggle with the flesh after conversion?

T: Mike, you disagree that "in Romans 7 Paul speaks of frustration, failure, and condemnation"?

In the following passage Paul describes born-again, fully converted believers (people who are actively, aggressively abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded) successfully recognizing and resisting the unholy thoughts and feelings generated and communicated via sinful flesh nature tempting them from within to be unlike Jesus. Paul is definitely not talking about believers sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting. He goes on to say that Jesus, who was also tempted from within via sinful flesh nature to indulge His innocent and legitimate needs in unholy ways, successfully submitted and subjected them to a sanctified will and mind.

Quote:
7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that [it is] good.
7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.
7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Mountain Man] #126967
08/27/10 01:45 PM
08/27/10 01:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Colin, are you saying sinful flesh nature is condemned? If so, by who or what? And, how does it impact the host, the human being?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Mountain Man] #126972
08/27/10 02:30 PM
08/27/10 02:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Paul is definitely not talking about believers sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting.

No, Paul is not talking about believers sinning and repenting. He is talking about sinners who see that the law is good in their mind, but are not able to live according to it because they haven't yet been born again. He is speaking about his own struggle before he accepted Jesus.

Paul says, "I was alive without the law once; but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." What was it that brought that commandment to the mind of Paul but the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom Jesus said, "the Father will send in my name? He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." Paul continues, "And the commandment which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Was then that which was good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful." {RH, April 1, 1890 par. 4}

Men sometimes become ashamed of their sinful ways, and give up some of their evil habits, before they are aroused to manifestly come to Christ; but it is the power of the gospel, the grace of Christ, that is drawing them to make reformation in their conduct. An influence of which they are unconscious works upon the soul, and the conscience is quickened, and the outward life is amended. And as Christ draws them to look upon his cross, to look upon him whom their sins have pierced, the commandment comes home to the conscience. The wickedness of their life, the deep-seated sin of the soul, is revealed to them. They begin to comprehend something of the righteousness of Christ, and exclaim, "Was all this love, all this suffering, all this humiliation demanded that we might not perish, but have everlasting life?" They then understand that it is the goodness of God that leadeth to repentance. A repentance such as this lies beyond the reach of our own powers to accomplish; it is obtained only from Christ, who ascended up on high, and has given gifts unto men. Christ is the source of every right impulse. He is the only one who can arouse in the natural heart enmity against sin. He is the source of our power if we would be saved. No soul can repent without the grace of Christ. The sinner may pray that he may know how to repent. God reveals Christ to the sinner, and when he sees the purity of the Son of God, he is not ignorant of the character of sin. By faith in the work and power of Christ, enmity against sin and Satan is created in his heart. Those whom God pardons are first made penitent. {RH, April 1, 1890 par. 5}

The apostle Paul, in relating his experience, presents an important truth concerning the work to be wrought in conversion. He says, "I was alive without the law once"--he felt no condemnation; "but when the commandment came," when the law of God was urged upon his conscience, "sin revived, and I died." Then he saw himself a sinner, condemned by the divine law. Mark, it was Paul, and not the law, that died (4SP 297). {6BC 1076.7}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Rosangela] #126991
08/27/10 08:48 PM
08/27/10 08:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R: Mike, don't you think there is a struggle with the flesh before (in the process of) conversion, and a struggle with the flesh after conversion?

T: Mike, you disagree that "in Romans 7 Paul speaks of frustration, failure, and condemnation"?

M:In the following passage Paul describes born-again, fully converted believers (people who are actively, aggressively abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded) successfully recognizing and resisting the unholy thoughts and feelings generated and communicated via sinful flesh nature tempting them from within to be unlike Jesus. Paul is definitely not talking about believers sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting. He goes on to say that Jesus, who was also tempted from within via sinful flesh nature to indulge His innocent and legitimate needs in unholy ways, successfully submitted and subjected them to a sanctified will and mind.

That means you do disagree? Paul, in your view, does not speak of frustration, failure, and condemnation"?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #126992
08/27/10 08:52 PM
08/27/10 08:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
M:Paul is definitely not talking about believers sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting.

R:No, Paul is not talking about believers sinning and repenting. He is talking about sinners who see that the law is good in their mind, but are not able to live according to it because they haven't yet been born again. He is speaking about his own struggle before he accepted Jesus.

I mostly agree with this, and the quotations are to the point. Regarding Paul I agree, but regarding others, I think it could include those who have backslid. I think the general principle Paul is getting at is that the flesh, apart from divine help, is unable to keep the law, and this is true regardless of whether one has never been converted, or has been but has backslid.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #126995
08/27/10 09:40 PM
08/27/10 09:40 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I agree.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Rosangela] #126997
08/27/10 10:04 PM
08/27/10 10:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Paul said, "I allow not ... it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me." I hear you saying this reflects the experience of an unconverted person.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Mountain Man] #127007
08/28/10 02:25 AM
08/28/10 02:25 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Colin, are you saying sinful flesh nature is condemned? If so, by who or what? And, how does it impact the host, the human being?

Yes, it is condemned, by God's holiness & law - requiring the death, i.e. execution & eternal extinction, of the sinful nature and the (unrepentant) sinner, in judgement. It impacts the human being, and therefore the Saviour of all men, as expressed here:
Quote:
14Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. (Heb 2)

We are redeemed from our sinful nature's condemnation and not just released from our guilt.

Last edited by Colin; 08/28/10 02:29 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Colin] #127023
08/28/10 06:04 PM
08/28/10 06:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Colin, still not sure of something. Are believers, who have "ceased from sin", condemned because they possess sinful flesh nature?

Reply Quote
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!