HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 51 of 103 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127183
08/31/10 03:24 PM
08/31/10 03:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, I have no comment.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127184
08/31/10 03:27 PM
08/31/10 03:27 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
And another ones arise. How is it that God knew, before their birth, the choices Esau and Jacob would make? How is it that God knew the choices that Judas would make?

These aren't problems along the order I was speaking of. The problems I mentioned are moral problems. The position I'm taking doesn't have moral problems associated to it (does it? I'm not aware of any).

These questions you are asking are technical questions, along the lines of how is it that Paul said for me to die is gain to be with Christ, or how Jesus preached to the spirits in prison. That is, these are questions that deal with how we interpret certain texts, but don't deal with the moral implications of taking the point of view, which is what I was getting at.

Quote:
How is it that God knew that Jesus wouldn't fail?

He didn't! God took a risk in sending Christ. All heaven was imperiled for our redemption.

Quote:
If the Bible prophecies have an x% possibility of becoming true and a y% possibility of not becoming true, how can we trust prophecies?

Like Nineveh? "In 40 days you will be destroyed!" That didn't happen, yet we still trust prophecies, don't we?

Jeremiah 18 lays out the principle of prophecy:

Quote:
At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it. 11Now, therefore, say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus says the Lord: Look, I am a potter shaping evil against you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, all of you from your evil way, and amend your ways and your doings. (NRSV)

When free will beings are concerned, prophecies are conditional.

Quote:
How can omniscience be defined in terms of estimation of probabilities and mathematical ability (IOW, how can omniscience about the future be defined as ignorance about how things will play out)?

This is misunderstanding the issue. The issue concerned the character, or nature, or content of the future.

We both agree that God is omniscient, and that God perfectly knows the future. Your attempt to characterize my view as ignorance about how things will play out is a mischaracterization. I believe God knows the future perfectly, as it really is, and this view of the future is constantly changing, as possibilities become realities, as time moves on.

I see serious moral dilemmas with the view you hold, which I mentioned previously. I don't believe there are any moral problems with the view I hold. The only objection you could raise against it is that it doesn't agree with how you understand certain passages of Scripture or the SOP to read.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127185
08/31/10 03:36 PM
08/31/10 03:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, there are many things about the Godhead which we cannot explain using human logic and natural law, which, in fact, defy human logic and natural law. There's nothing illogical about it. For example, Jesus created everything out of nothing. He also created some things by simply speaking them into existence. Jesus miraculously cured diseases, raised the dead to life, and performed many other unexplainable wonders. None of these things can be replicated using human logic and natural law. We must accept by faith that Jesus can do such things because He is God and possesses supernatural powers which defy human logic and natural law. It is perfectly logical then to believe God possesses the supernatural ability to know the future like history without compromising free will. It is no more unexplainable than all the other human-logic-defying things God does.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127187
08/31/10 04:06 PM
08/31/10 04:06 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, there are many things about the Godhead which we cannot explain using human logic and natural law, which, in fact, defy human logic and natural law. There's nothing illogical about it.

For example, Jesus created everything out of nothing. He also created some things by simply speaking them into existence. Jesus miraculously cured diseases, raised the dead to life, and performed many other unexplainable wonders. None of these things can be replicated using human logic and natural law. We must accept by faith that Jesus can do such things because He is God and possesses supernatural powers which defy human logic and natural law.

You're misunderstanding what logic is, it looks to me (i.e., "logic" in the context of our discussion). Logic has to do with the validity of arguments, and being able to reason from cause to effect. There's nothing which defies logic in what you're suggesting.

Quote:
It is perfectly logical then to believe God possesses the supernatural ability to know the future like history without compromising free will.

This isn't a valid argument. For several reasons. I'll just let it go at that.

Quote:
It is no more unexplainable than all the other human-logic-defying things God does.

We're dealing with two different things. One is an argument which is not valid (the arguments you have been presenting, which you admit "defy human logic," meaning they are not sound, or logical), and the other is understanding things which are beyond our ability to comprehend, like how God could always have existed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127192
08/31/10 04:58 PM
08/31/10 04:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your view of God makes it impossible for FMAs throughout the Universe to believe with absolute certainty "affliction shall not rise up the second time."

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127193
08/31/10 05:01 PM
08/31/10 05:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, is it safe to say it defies your understanding of logic and time and space if it is true God knows the future like history?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127194
08/31/10 05:29 PM
08/31/10 05:29 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Now if we take the point of view that the future is multi-threaded (i.e., truly comprised of possibilities, that don't become realities until self-determining creatures make them such), then these difficulties go away.

And another ones arise. How is it that God knew, before their birth, the choices Esau and Jacob would make? How is it that God knew the choices that Judas would make? How is it that God knew that Jesus wouldn't fail? If the Bible prophecies have an x% possibility of becoming true and a y% possibility of not becoming true, how can we trust prophecies? How can omniscience be defined in terms of estimation of probabilities and mathematical ability (IOW, how can omniscience about the future be defined as ignorance about how things will play out)?
Because we are not Deists. Our God is active and can certainly act to make or influence one option to occur rather than a different option.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127195
08/31/10 05:32 PM
08/31/10 05:32 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, your view of God makes it impossible for FMAs throughout the Universe to believe with absolute certainty "affliction shall not rise up the second time."
Better that than a reality where the FMA is only an illusion, dont you think?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127196
08/31/10 05:39 PM
08/31/10 05:39 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, there are many things about the Godhead which we cannot explain using human logic and natural law, which, in fact, defy human logic and natural law. There's nothing illogical about it. For example, Jesus created everything out of nothing. He also created some things by simply speaking them into existence. Jesus miraculously cured diseases, raised the dead to life, and performed many other unexplainable wonders. None of these things can be replicated using human logic and natural law.
Creating out of nothing (or at least out of watery chaos), raising the dead or walking on water defies natural law. But how does it defy logic?
Quote:
We must accept by faith that Jesus can do such things because He is God and possesses supernatural powers which defy human logic and natural law.
How are divine properties defying logic?
Quote:
It is perfectly logical then to believe God possesses the supernatural ability to know the future like history without compromising free will. It is no more unexplainable than all the other human-logic-defying things God does.
I do not see how a being who by definition is able to give life giving life defies logic. I see how having a choice where only one option exists defies logic.

Claiming that something defies logic is not helpful. Can you show how it defies logic through some simple examples?

Galatians 2

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127198
08/31/10 06:32 PM
08/31/10 06:32 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: And another ones arise. How is it that God knew, before their birth, the choices Esau and Jacob would make? How is it that God knew the choices that Judas would make?
T: These aren't problems along the order I was speaking of. The problems I mentioned are moral problems. The position I'm taking doesn't have moral problems associated to it (does it? I'm not aware of any).

Sure there are moral problems associated to it. One of them is the possibility that God interferes in the free will of His creatures in order to bring about the fulfillment of a prophecy, like Thomas has just implied. Judas is an example. Cyrus is another one.
Another example is the issue I raised at the beginning of this discussion about Matthew 24:36. If God knows the day and hour of Christ’s coming, as Jesus said, and if the church must be ready for Christ’s coming, either 1) God will force the church to be ready at a given time so that Christ can come at the set date, or 2) since God doesn’t know when the church will get ready, He doesn’t know the day and hour of Christ’s coming, which means that Jesus’ statement is not true.

Page 51 of 103 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!