HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 43 of 44 1 2 41 42 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Colin] #114780
06/15/09 12:05 AM
06/15/09 12:05 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Quote:
colin, do you think we could move out of the worldly court system into the biblical sanctuary?

Sure: this is the law of God
Quote:
The soul that sinneth, it shall die

The sanctuary God set up supplied a substitute for the justice of his own law, so any could live rather than die, thanks to the substitute.

Any who accept Christ's substitution for their penalty for sin are redeemed from the justice of God, and heaven rejoices over each who repent of sin. Christ's Gospel of grace is for rehabilitation of sinners who accept what he has done for all men by grace. We fall short by being sinful, but Christ raises us by the power of God to the glory of the character and attitude of himself: we are made like Christ in mind and character. Law and grace are the gospel: the law places us in need of Christ our Saviour and steers us to him, too, for there - when we find Christ - we find we are in God's grace by God's own initiative.

That Bible Commentary quote shows Satan understands the law but doesn't want anyone to gain from grace. Yes, we all mourn for the loss of any who refuse grace. The punishment for refusal is according to the law of God. God must apply that penalty of justice, just like he is graceous and does apply probation for this world's rehabilitation. His character is both, judge and Saviour.

there is no way we can escape the clear meaning of this statement, but we can try. smile
Quote:
Satan will be judged by his own idea of justice.

It was his plea that every sin should meet its punishment.

If God remitted the punishment, he said, He was not a God of truth or justice.

Satan will meet the judgment which he said God should exercise. (MS 111, 1897). {5BC 1087.4}

perhaps we will also........

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: teresaq] #114783
06/15/09 01:16 AM
06/15/09 01:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
(EGW)Satan will meet the judgment which he said God should exercise. (MS 111, 1897). {5BC 1087.4}

t:perhaps we will also........

No doubt. In the manner in which we judge, so shall we be judged.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #127318
09/03/10 01:31 AM
09/03/10 01:31 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Bump for Tom. Is this the thread you were looking for?

Quote:
It looks like I asked about 7 questions, but it's really only about 2. 1 is I'd like to know what it means to you to say that our sin was upon Christ. The second is, what is it you see God doing when Christ was dying.

To explain the second a bit further, I understand you would say that God was judging and condemning sin, but what does this mean? What was God doing, thinking and feeling? I'm not asking you to get inside God's head, or do something impossible in terms of explaining God, but simply trying to clarify what it is you think was happening; what you think God was doing and what His emotions were.

I guess, to ask one more question, do you see His emotions/actions towards the wicked in the final judgment as being similar?

It seems I hadn't replied to this. To say that our sin was upon Christ means that He was considered responsible for them, and that He felt the guilt for these sins.
What I see God doing while Christ was dying. Perhaps Ellen White's words would express it better: "The righteous One must suffer the condemnation and wrath of God, not in vindictiveness; for the heart of God yearned with greatest sorrow when His Son, the guiltless, was suffering the penalty of sin." (MS 93, 1899). {7BC 924.2}
And yes, I see God's emotions/actions towards the wicked in the final judgment as being similar.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #127330
09/03/10 05:39 PM
09/03/10 05:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, I think this is the one. Thanks!

Regarding the response, I don't remember my train of thought. Just reacting from what you wrote, you appear to view God as being sorrowful, which I think is good (the appropriate emotion).

It appears you feel that God is sorry that He has to do something, in the case of the wicked He's sorry He has to set them on fire and make them burn alive, and in the case of Christ something else which you've not specified, but which allows God not to have to set those who fulfill the conditions He's set on fire to make them burn alive because He's done something to Christ instead. What a terrible sentence!

Try again.

It appears you feel that God is sorry that He has to set the wicked on fire to make them burn alive. In the case of Christ you feel that God is sorry that He has to do something which isn't specified clearly to make Christ suffer. The something that He does to Christ makes it possible for God to not have to set those on fire to make them burn alive who have fulfilled the conditions He's set.

It's been awhile since we've talked about this. I can't remember if I've remembered your position correctly. I think I remember correctly that you don't see that the thing that happens to Christ or the wicked is a direct consequence of their sin, but is rather an act which is directed against them as a form of punishment. I don't remember if you believe God sets the wicked on fire to make them burn alive as a form of punishment however.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #127332
09/03/10 11:26 PM
09/03/10 11:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
It appears you feel that God is sorry that He has to do something, in the case of the wicked He's sorry He has to set them on fire and make them burn alive, and in the case of Christ something else which you've not specified, but which allows God not to have to set those who fulfill the conditions He's set on fire to make them burn alive because He's done something to Christ instead. What a terrible sentence!

Try again.

?????
In the end of time God will feel sorry because His children are experiencing death, when they could have lived! On the cross He was suffering for His Son and with Him.
I don't believe God sets people on fire and, btw, this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #127345
09/04/10 04:11 AM
09/04/10 04:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I asked, "I understand you would say that God was judging and condemning sin, but what does this mean? What was God doing, thinking and feeling? I'm not asking you to get inside God's head, or do something impossible in terms of explaining God, but simply trying to clarify what it is you think was happening; what you think God was doing and what His emotions were.

I guess, to ask one more question, do you see His emotions/actions towards the wicked in the final judgment as being similar?"

You answered these questions. And then I commented on that. I'm not understanding your response to this.

At any rate, I'm glad you don't think that God will set people on fire. I agree that God was suffering with His Son on the cross, and what's more, I don't believe God was responsible for Christ's suffering. (I'm not saying you think this, but many do, so I'm just making clear my thoughts). I also agree that God will feel sorry because His children are experiencing death when they could have lived. I think that's a very nice way of putting it.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #127483
09/09/10 12:02 PM
09/09/10 12:02 PM
A
Azenilto  Offline
Active Member 2010
Bessemer, Ala., USA
I saw a brother coming up with a new interpretation for vs. 17 that I had never come across with. His reasoning is that the verb "is" doesn't appear in the text, but was supplied by translators, which is confirmed by the use of italics in many Bible editions. The use of italics, as many people know, means that the word is not in the original text.

So, he reasoned that what Paul is really saying is NOT that "but the body is of Christ" (KJV), rather, "but the body of Christ", which means--the church.

Only the church can judge the Christians for their eating, drinking and days they dedicate to God, not the local extemists, who are the target of Paul's criticism.

Indeed, it seems strange why Paul makes reference to the body of Christ as the reality that the type pointed to. Why didn't he just say, "but Christ" (would be the reality in contrast to the shadow).

On the other hand, vs. 18 sounds so out of step with the general theme discussed in the remainder of the chapter in both the KJV and NIV. I definitely prefer the rendering of the Almeida translation, in Portuguese: "Let nobody set himself as an arbiter over you", which is confirmed by the contemporary language translation: "Don't let anyone condemn you".

Just a little input to have you thinking about these interpretative possibilities.

A. G. Brito
Sola Scriptura Ministry
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Azenilto] #127486
09/09/10 02:41 PM
09/09/10 02:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
How sorrowful would you feel at the legal execution of a criminal who mercilessly raped and slaughtered your wife and daughter? I suspect it would be difficult at best not to wish they suffer grievously. The holy angels will praise the justice of God as the wicked suffer during the seven last plagues. They will even plead with God to double their punishment. It seems holy angels will not feel sorrowful. Will the righteous redeemed feel any differently during the final judgment? In fact, the holy angels pray for the wicked to experience sorrow. Thus, if anyone is feeling sorrow it will be the wicked not the righteous.

Revelation
16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.
16:6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.
16:7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous [are] thy judgments.

Revelation
18:6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.
18:7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
18:8 Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong [is] the Lord God who judgeth her.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Mountain Man] #127491
09/09/10 04:17 PM
09/09/10 04:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Of course the angels will feel sorrowful. How could an angel be the guardian angel of someone, and not feel sorrow when that person is lost?

We should be careful not to make God (or angels) in our own image.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Mountain Man] #127520
09/10/10 10:01 PM
09/10/10 10:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
How sorrowful would you feel at the legal execution of a criminal who mercilessly raped and slaughtered your wife and daughter? I suspect it would be difficult at best not to wish they suffer grievously.

Mike,
But if I wish the criminal to suffer grievously am I not as merciless as he? If I delight in his death how am I any better than he?

Page 43 of 44 1 2 41 42 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!