HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Rosangela] #127662
09/21/10 01:59 AM
09/21/10 01:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
T:Ok, if you wish to push back the 6 month fetus to an earlier time frame, that's fine. In what way is a xygote loving or selfish?

R:In its own constitution.

This is simply sinful human nature. This is precisely what Christ took!

Quote:
...Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.(DA 49)

Christ accepted the results of what? The "great law of heredity." What is this? It's what you call the "constitution" of the xygote. Christ took this "constitution" (our "sinful nature") upon His own sinless nature. It was in that Christ accepted the working of the "great law of heredity" that He was able to "share our sorrows and temptations."

Quote:
T:Having the law written on the heart and mind means saying, with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God."

R:Sure. It means to be in harmony with God's character and law.

By choice. "I delight to do Thy will, O my God" is the expression of a choice.

Quote:
Adam was created in that way, and his children would have been born that way. Naturally loving, naturally good.

This isn't under dispute.

Quote:
T:This isn't something a 6 month old fetus, or a newborn, does, even less than that they love, something I pointed out many posts ago, and to which you still haven't responded. That is, I've been asking in what sense babies, or 6 month old fetuses love, and don't believe you have answered.

R:I've never said they love,

Yes you did. I'll find the post. Hold on a moment. Post 127601

Quote:
Tom may say we are not born loving anyone, but this is not true at all. We are born loving ourselves, loving ourselves above anything else, and this is evident in any baby's experience

Quote:
but that holy babies would have been controlled by love, which is very different.

No, you said what I said you said, and I've been asking you to explain this ever since.

Quote:
This is having a loving and unselfish disposition naturally flowing from one's heart....

T:You don't appear to be considering morality in any of this. That is, morality involves the ability to make decisions.

R:Obviously the ability to make decisions comes later in the life of a child.

Right.

Quote:
This doesn't preclude a child from being naturally loving or selfish before that.

It precludes them from doing anything which requires making a decision, such as loving someone one, or making a selfish decision.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Rosangela] #127663
09/21/10 02:38 AM
09/21/10 02:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R: First, no human being on earth inherits all the sinful tendencies which plague the human race. Nobody is 100% good nor 100% bad. We are a mix. What is being claimed here is that Christ inherited all the sinful tendencies possible for the human race, which is absurd.
T: What is claimed where? If you're talking about what A. T. Jones wrote, then I would question why Ellen White would so enthusiastically endorse teachings which are "absurd."

R:Yes, I’m referring to A. T. Jones, with whom I suppose you agree. Did she endorse Jones/Waggoner's writings or their preaching?

Both.

Quote:
And does her endorsement mean she agreed with 100% of what they said?

People use exactly the same argument in regards to Ellen White. Not everything she wrote was inspired, so they feel free to excuse as not inspired anything they disagree with. Similarly, you disagree with Jones and Waggoner no matter what I quote from them, and I've quoted extensively from them, on many different subjects. How can it be that I just so happen to quote things which are outside of the umbrella of what she was endorsing every time I quote them? How can I be so lucky?

On the subject of our discussion, Jones himself said it was the heart of Christianity. Jones and Waggoner both considered the subject to be fundamental to their teachings on righteousness by faith, as it was. The position one takes on this subject has a profound impact on one's approach to righteousness by faith, which is why people react so strongly to it. It impacts the gospel we preach. This is clear.

Now if Jones and Waggoner were wrong regarding the nature of Christ, then they were wrong regarding righteousness by faith and the Gospel. This makes one wonder how EGW could say that Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she, and how she could have endorsed them as messengers of rightesouness by faith the way she did.

So while there could be some unimportant point on some subject that Jones and Waggoner said or wrote which she wasn't endorsing, it's clear she was endorsing their message on righteousness by faith, and anything core to the message of righteousness by faith which they preached would have to be included.

Quote:
T:From this it follows that it's not necessary for Christ to have inherited *any* sinful tendencies that we have. I assume this is your argument, and your position?

R:Yes.

This is completely opposed to what Jones and Waggoner taught. Their message of righteousness by faith could not possibly have been true if this were the case (i.e., if your position were true; That is, it cannot both be the case that your position here is correct, and their message of righteousness by faith was true).

Quote:
T:I'd like to know whether you're disagreeing with my interpretation of what Jones said, or with what Jones said.

R:With what Jones said.

Ok.

Quote:
T:Your idea is nothing, I take it? So the vanity slave should not be directed to find hope in the fact that Christ was tempted as (s)he was?

R:Christ was tempted as (s)he was in essence, not in form.

Not in essence at all, and that's the problem. You've got this backwards. You have Christ's temptation *only* being a form, and skipping the essence altogether.

Quote:
R:So the vanity slave would find hope in Christ’s second temptation.

But how? What's there to recognize in terms of commonality in regards to what makes the temptation difficult? (i.e., its essence).

Quote:
T:What makes the temptation difficult for the vanity slave are two things:
1)Heredity.
2)Past history.

R:I don’t think the strength of a temptation has to do with just these factors. A temptation is a combination of factors.

I said this is what makes the temptation difficult, not that this is what temptation had to do with, or only had to do with. The thing is, what makes the temptation for a certain thing difficult for us is that this thing is a part of us. It's either a part of us because of heredity, or habit. If we assert it nothing to do with Christ, because then He wouldn't be holy, or would need a Savior (or for whatever reason), then we are disassociating Christ from us on specifically the point, or points, upon which we need help.

In Heb. 4 and 5, it says that Christ was tempted in all points as we are, and because of this, we should come to Him in time of need, because He was compassed with infirmity as we are. In other words, because He knows what it's like to be us. He can help me with my temptation because He knows what it is like to be tempted as I am tempted. He's been through it, by heredity and imputation, involving both sin in its potential and in its commission. You're cutting Christ off from both, and making His being tempted no different than if an angel from heaven were tempted, who assumed a weakened human body. But sinful flesh involves much more than simply becoming tired or hungry.

The DA 49 quote makes this clear:

Quote:
Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.

What were the results in the history of Christ's earthly ancestors? Becoming hungry or tired? No, of course not. They were licentiousness, debauchery, etc.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #127668
09/21/10 01:09 PM
09/21/10 01:09 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This is simply sinful human nature. This is precisely what Christ took!

It seems so. However, the most important aspect of this is its manifestation in the mind. A selfish person is selfish in his/her mind/character/personality. But this didn't happen with Christ, because He was born with the divine mind.

Quote:
T:Having the law written on the heart and mind means saying, with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God."
T: By choice. "I delight to do Thy will, O my God" is the expression of a choice.

Adam was created by God with a heart/mind in harmony with His law and will. Where is "choice" here? Obviously "choice" came later in his life.

Quote:
T:This isn't something a 6 month old fetus, or a newborn, does, even less than that they love, something I pointed out many posts ago, and to which you still haven't responded. That is, I've been asking in what sense babies, or 6 month old fetuses love, and don't believe you have answered.
T: Yes you did. I'll find the post. Hold on a moment. Post 127601

Wait a moment! Let's make a distinction between love as a principle and love as a feeling. In post 127601 I was speaking of love/selfishness as principles. These are innate (and in this sense, love to self is innate). You are either born concerned with your own welfare and interests and having little or no concern for others (selfishness) or you are born not concerned with your own welfare and interests first (love).
But in my last post, when I said, "I've never said they love" I was referring to love as a feeling (not principle), which is something learned (you learn to love your parents, your friends, etc). Look at what I said: "I've never said they love [feeling], but that holy babies would have been controlled by love" [principle].

Quote:
R: This doesn't preclude a child from being naturally loving or selfish before that.
T: It precludes them from doing anything which requires making a decision, such as loving someone one, or making a selfish decision.

It precludes them from making conscious selfish/loving decisions, but not from making unconscious selfish/loving decisions.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #127669
09/21/10 03:18 PM
09/21/10 03:18 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: And does her endorsement mean she agreed with 100% of what they said?
T: People use exactly the same argument in regards to Ellen White.

J & W are not inspired, Ellen White is. So, in doctrinal terms, either you accept everything she said, or nothing. But Ellen White endorsed other people (Crozier, Uriah Smith) without endorsing everything they said, for some of their statements are in direct opposition to what she said. I understand the same happened in J & W's case.

Quote:
The thing is, what makes the temptation for a certain thing difficult for us is that this thing is a part of us. It's either a part of us because of heredity, or habit.

Apart from my personality traits, I don't even know what is a part of me because of heredity. Heredity just means you are more prone to some habits, but heredity without habit is almost nothing. Habit is indeed a problem, but Jesus didn't have any habits of sin, so He couldn't be tempted in terms of habit. What was the temptation which appealed to His sin habits? None, of course. Habit does make a temptation difficult if that habit is an idol. After you've dealt with that idol, that temptation loses much of its strength (like in the case of my past habit of watching soap operas). A combination of factors makes a temptation difficult. Christ was human and internal factors, like His physical needs, were weak points. The appeal to His human passions, like showing who He really was, was also very tempting. Also the appeal to HIs ambition, and so on. Who would endure a temptation like the first one in the desert? Who would endure a temptation like that of the Gethsemane and the cross?

Quote:
But sinful flesh involves much more than simply becoming tired or hungry.

You speak repeatedly about "sinful flesh" as an almost overwhelming factor in temptation. If sinful flesh is something different from carnal nature, either I don't have a sinful flesh or I don't know what it is, because I never recognize it as an important factor in my temptations. Would you please give me an example of a temptation involving the strength of "sinful flesh"? You mention "licentiousness" and "debauchery." I suspect all these arguments about "sinful flesh" have mainly to do with sex. In that case you would consider that men are more tempted than women and have a greater disadvantage than they?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Rosangela] #127674
09/21/10 08:21 PM
09/21/10 08:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:This is simply sinful human nature. This is precisely what Christ took!

R:It seems so. However, the most important aspect of this is its manifestation in the mind. A selfish person is selfish in his/her mind/character/personality. But this didn't happen with Christ, because He was born with the divine mind.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. We are born with sinful natures, that which they zygote has. Christ assumed this same sinful nature. Before you seemed to be taking issue with this. Now you seem to be agreeing with it.

Quote:
T: By choice. "I delight to do Thy will, O my God" is the expression of a choice.

R:Adam was created by God with a heart/mind in harmony with His law and will. Where is "choice" here? Obviously "choice" came later in his life.

Of course Adam and Eve were created in harmony with God. They were adults, however, not newborns or fetuses. I'm not seeing the connection here.

Quote:
T: Yes you did. I'll find the post. Hold on a moment. Post 127601

R:Wait a moment! Let's make a distinction between love as a principle and love as a feeling. In post 127601 I was speaking of love/selfishness as principles. These are innate (and in this sense, love to self is innate). You are either born concerned with your own welfare and interests and having little or no concern for others (selfishness) or you are born not concerned with your own welfare and interests first (love).
But in my last post, when I said, "I've never said they love" I was referring to love as a feeling (not principle), which is something learned (you learn to love your parents, your friends, etc). Look at what I said: "I've never said they love [feeling], but that holy babies would have been controlled by love" [principle].

You said back in the post I referenced that babies are born loving themselves. I said they don't love at all. You said I was wrong. I defined love using Webster's and reiterated babies didn't love. You gave another definition from Ellen White. I said that applied to newborns even less.

I've been asking since the original post for you to explain how babies love, and then I see a denial that you ever said this.

So are we born loving ourselves or not? If so, how do you define love, and what specifically does a newborn, or 6 month old fetus that has consciousness, do to love itself?

Quote:

R: This doesn't preclude a child from being naturally loving or selfish before that.
T: It precludes them from doing anything which requires making a decision, such as loving someone one, or making a selfish decision.

R:It precludes them from making conscious selfish/loving decisions, but not from making unconscious selfish/loving decisions.

You suggested 6 months as the time when fetuses have consciousness. Do we not care about consciousness anymore?

What's an example of an unconscious selfish/loving decision that a 6 month old fetus makes? (or newborn, or younger than 6 months of consciousness doesn't matter)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #127680
09/21/10 11:48 PM
09/21/10 11:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R: And does her endorsement mean she agreed with 100% of what they said?
T: People use exactly the same argument in regards to Ellen White.

R:J & W are not inspired, Ellen White is.

1)J & W were, according to EGW, "messengers of God" who bore a message from God. Have you read the 1888 Materials? These were things, letter and sermons and such, that Ellen White either wrote or spoke during the 1888 era. The same issues ur raising were raised then, and she dealt with these in her letters and talks.

2)Given EGW was inspired, her endorsements of J & W were inspired as well. She said Waggoner could teach RbF better than she could. It's hard to fathom why she would say that if basically Waggoner was completely wrong on his whole framework. You have Waggoner being completely different than EGW on the nature of Christ, and he's completely different from her on RbF as well.

Quote:
So, in doctrinal terms, either you accept everything she said, or nothing.

Where did she say this? Also, why would this be limited to doctrinal things?

Quote:
But Ellen White endorsed other people (Crozier, Uriah Smith) without endorsing everything they said, for some of their statements are in direct opposition to what she said. I understand the same happened in J & W's case.

She endorsed J & W over 2,000 times. She said they had a message from God for the purpose of enabling people to stand in the day of Christ. She identified their message as the beginning of the latter rain and the loud cry. She said all sorts of things she didn't say of others. This is hardly a fair or adequate comparison.

Also, you didn't deal with my points. The first one is that their teaching of righteousness by faith depended upon their view of Christ's human nature. The second is, every time I quote them you disagree with them, and I've quoted them dozens of times on many different subjects. It's simply not reasonable to assume that it just so happens they are wrong whenever I quote them. You're making her endorsement of no effect. She might as well have not endorsed them at all, as far as the impact on you is concerned is how it appears to me.

Quote:
T:The thing is, what makes the temptation for a certain thing difficult for us is that this thing is a part of us. It's either a part of us because of heredity, or habit.

R:Apart from my personality traits, I don't even know what is a part of me because of heredity. Heredity just means you are more prone to some habits, but heredity without habit is almost nothing.

Habit is indeed a problem, but Jesus didn't have any habits of sin, so He couldn't be tempted in terms of habit. What was the temptation which appealed to His sin habits? None, of course. Habit does make a temptation difficult if that habit is an idol. After you've dealt with that idol, that temptation loses much of its strength (like in the case of my past habit of watching soap operas). A combination of factors makes a temptation difficult. Christ was human and internal factors, like His physical needs, were weak points. The appeal to His human passions, like showing who He really was, was also very tempting. Also the appeal to HIs ambition, and so on. Who would endure a temptation like the first one in the desert? Who would endure a temptation like that of the Gethsemane and the cross?

I'll just deal with a portion of this, which I think gets to the nitty-gritty:

Quote:
After you've dealt with that idol, that temptation loses much of its strength.

This is the whole problem right here! How does one deal with that idol? Is it by virtue of a victory which Christ wrought, or is it by forging ground where Christ did not walk?

Quote:
T:But sinful flesh involves much more than simply becoming tired or hungry.

R:You speak repeatedly about "sinful flesh" as an almost overwhelming factor in temptation.

I've mentioned two factors: sinful flesh and having committed the sin. That is, sin in its potential and in its commission. Both contribute.

Quote:
If sinful flesh is something different from carnal nature, either I don't have a sinful flesh or I don't know what it is, because I never recognize it as an important factor in my temptations.

I don't understand how you're thinking here. That sinful flesh is different than carnal nature isn't dependent upon your having sinful flesh or not recognizing it as an important factor in your temptations. Sinful flesh has to do with DNA. Carnal nature has to do with participating in sin.

Quote:
Would you please give me an example of a temptation involving the strength of "sinful flesh"?

Anything your DNA steers you toward.

Quote:
You mention "licentiousness" and "debauchery." I suspect all these arguments about "sinful flesh" have mainly to do with sex.

Or drugs.

Quote:
In that case you would consider that men are more tempted than women and have a greater disadvantage than they?

Regarding specifically sexual temptation? I don't know. I think women are tempted sexually as much as men are, I would guess. Just in a different way (i.e., men more visually).

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #127707
09/23/10 01:07 PM
09/23/10 01:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. We are born with sinful natures, that which they zygote has. Christ assumed this same sinful nature. Before you seemed to be taking issue with this. Now you seem to be agreeing with it.

This is what I believe now: I don't know precisely what happened, but what Ellen White says clearly is that Christ did not possess sinful propensities. Sinful propensities are in the mind/character - they may be transmitted through the body, but they are in the mind. They are wrong thought patterns, and they constitute the carnal mind. It's possible that Mary transmitted sinful tendencies to Christ, but what I believe is that these never manifested themselves in His mind.

Quote:
Of course Adam and Eve were created in harmony with God. They were adults, however, not newborns or fetuses. I'm not seeing the connection here.

If he had not sinned, his children would have been born the same way - naturally good.

God gave our first parents a pure and upright character, in harmony with His law; and had they remained obedient, they would have bequeathed the same character to their posterity. {BEcho, July 29, 1895 par. 2}

Quote:
So are we born loving ourselves or not? If so, how do you define love, and what specifically does a newborn, or 6 month old fetus that has consciousness, do to love itself?

We learn to love others, but love for self is innate. Self-love (selfishness), in this sense, would be, as I said in my previous post, a concern with your own welfare and interests, having little or no concern for others. This can be seen in newborns. Fetuses are selfish in their own constitution, but I wouldn't say there are selfish behaviors before birth.

Quote:
R: R:It precludes them from making conscious selfish/loving decisions, but not from making unconscious selfish/loving decisions.
T: You suggested 6 months as the time when fetuses have consciousness. Do we not care about consciousness anymore?

Tom, we adults are perfectly conscious people who have a lot of unconscious decisions/attitudes.

Quote:
What's an example of an unconscious selfish/loving decision that a 6 month old fetus makes? (or newborn, or younger than 6 months of consciousness doesn't matter)

I'm speaking just about newborns, not fetuses. They have no interest in anything outside their own desires. They want to be attended to. Their natural instincts are to survive even if it's at the expense of others. Self-preservation above all else.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #127708
09/23/10 01:31 PM
09/23/10 01:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Also, you didn't deal with my points. The first one is that their teaching of righteousness by faith depended upon their view of Christ's human nature.

Maybe they saw one thing as depending on the other, but this isn't so.

Quote:
The second is, every time I quote them you disagree with them, and I've quoted them dozens of times on many different subjects. It's simply not reasonable to assume that it just so happens they are wrong whenever I quote them. You're making her endorsement of no effect. She might as well have not endorsed them at all, as far as the impact on you is concerned is how it appears to me.

?
I remember disagreeing with them on some details about the covenants and on the nature of Christ. Where I disagreed with them, I saw a disharmony between their view and Ellen White's view.

Quote:
R: So, in doctrinal terms, either you accept everything she said, or nothing.
T: Where did she say this? Also, why would this be limited to doctrinal things?

It's like the Bible. Doctrinally, you can't consider that some things are inspired and some aren't. In other subjects, the author may have expressed some concepts as he saw it in his time (like the statement about the pillars of the earth).
In Ellen White's case, of course shop lists, for instance, are not included among inspired statements. The same is true of historical details, scientific details, etc.

Quote:
She endorsed J & W over 2,000 times. She said they had a message from God for the purpose of enabling people to stand in the day of Christ. She identified their message as the beginning of the latter rain and the loud cry. She said all sorts of things she didn't say of others.

OK, but she didn't say that they were 100% correct in everything they said.

Quote:
R: After you've dealt with that idol, that temptation loses much of its strength.
T: This is the whole problem right here! How does one deal with that idol? Is it by virtue of a victory which Christ wrought, or is it by forging ground where Christ did not walk?

The problem is the strength of the temptation faced, not the kind of temptation faced (idols, or whatever). An external temptation may be stronger than an internal one. Christ faced the strongest temptations it's possible for a human being to face in all the areas human beings are tempted and, thus, acquired power for us to overcome any temptation.

Quote:
Carnal nature has to do with participating in sin.

The Bible doesn't say this. It says carnal nature consists in not being subject to the law of God, and Ellen White says this happens in our own constitution.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Rosangela] #127710
09/23/10 02:23 PM
09/23/10 02:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:Also, you didn't deal with my points. The first one is that their teaching of righteousness by faith depended upon their view of Christ's human nature.

R:Maybe they saw one thing as depending on the other, but this isn't so.

It absolutely is so. We should start a thread to discuss this.

A couple of points regarding this. First of all, given the messengers God sent to bring us the righteousness by faith message saw this as crucial to their message, who are we to dispute this?

Secondly, here's the argument they made:

Quote:
Bear in mind that Christ's overcoming and obedience is that of a true human being. In our conclusions, we make many mistakes because of our erroneous views of the human nature of our Lord. When we give to His human nature a power that it is not possible for man to have in his conflicts with Satan, we destroy the completeness of His humanity. His imputed grace and power He gives to all who receive Him by faith. The obedience of Christ to His Father was the same obedience that is required of man.(3SM 136-141)

Thirdly, their message was dependent upon their view of Christ's human nature. Merely being familiar with their message establishes this fact. For example, consider the book "The Consecreated Way to Perfection" by A. T. Jones. This book builds a theology of righteousness by faith point by point. That Christ took our fallen nature is foundational to that theology, which can be seen by reading the book.

Or consider "Christ And His Righteousness." This book develops in the same way. First Waggoner explains that Christ took our fallen, sinful nature, and then he explains righteousness by faith. The latter builds upon the former.

Quote:
T:The second is, every time I quote them you disagree with them, and I've quoted them dozens of times on many different subjects. It's simply not reasonable to assume that it just so happens they are wrong whenever I quote them. You're making her endorsement of no effect. She might as well have not endorsed them at all, as far as the impact on you is concerned is how it appears to me.

R:? I remember disagreeing with them on some details about the covenants and on the nature of Christ. Where I disagreed with them, I saw a disharmony between their view and Ellen White's view.

I've quoted them on many different subjects. The law in Galatians, that Christ's taking our sins impacted His temptation, the Covenants, and Christ's human nature are a few subjects that come immediately to mind. I don't recall your ever agreeing with any quote. I've quoted pages upon pages of their writings. I see no difference in terms to how you respond to their writings as if Ellen White had not endorsed them at all. You have given greater weight to a single endorsement of hers to Luther than the 2,000+ endorsements she gave to Jones and Waggoner.

Quote:
R: So, in doctrinal terms, either you accept everything she said, or nothing.
T: Where did she say this? Also, why would this be limited to doctrinal things?

R:It's like the Bible. Doctrinally, you can't consider that some things are inspired and some aren't.

I asked where she said this.

Quote:
In other subjects, the author may have expressed some concepts as he saw it in his time (like the statement about the pillars of the earth).

In Ellen White's case, of course shop lists, for instance, are not included among inspired statements. The same is true of historical details, scientific details, etc.

Where are you getting this idea from?

Quote:
T:She endorsed J & W over 2,000 times. She said they had a message from God for the purpose of enabling people to stand in the day of Christ. She identified their message as the beginning of the latter rain and the loud cry. She said all sorts of things she didn't say of others.

R:OK, but she didn't say that they were 100% correct in everything they said.

So that means her endorsements carry no weight, and we are free to disagree with them whenever we like. You give absolutely no weight whatsoever to their writings. They might as well have not existed as far as you are concerned. Do you disagree with this?

This is certainly contrary to Ellen White's wishes in this regard. Have you read what she wrote regarding this? The 1888 Materials?

If we accept her as divinely inspired, she was inspired on this subject as well.

Again, if you read her writings on this subject, you will see that those who opposed them then used the same argument you are using now.

Quote:

R: After you've dealt with that idol, that temptation loses much of its strength.
T: This is the whole problem right here! How does one deal with that idol? Is it by virtue of a victory which Christ wrought, or is it by forging ground where Christ did not walk?

R:The problem is the strength of the temptation faced, not the kind of temptation faced (idols, or whatever). An external temptation may be stronger than an internal one.

Our most difficult temptations are the ones that involve areas where we are weak. Areas where we are strong are much easier to resist than weak areas, where we have a susceptibility and have fallen in the past.

For example, no one would be tempted to take a bitter tasting medicine. Instead, we're tempted to take good tasting things that aren't good for us. In your view, as I perceive it, Christ's temptations were like taking quinine, and not like eating ice cream (assuming that's a sin, for illustration purposes). For example, the temptation to be given the kingdoms of this world. That would be like quinine to Christ, given your viewpoint, it seems to me. How could the kingdoms of this world have held any attraction to Christ?

Quote:
Christ faced the strongest temptations it's possible for a human being to face in all the areas human beings are tempted and, thus, acquired power for us to overcome any temptation.

But only because He took our fallen nature and carried our sins.

Quote:
T:Carnal nature has to do with participating in sin.

R:The Bible doesn't say this.

This is an SOP phrase.

Quote:
It says carnal nature consists in not being subject to the law of God,

No it doesn't.

Quote:
and Ellen White says this happens in our own constitution.

Because we have sinful flesh, inherited from Adam after the fall, we are subject to internal temptations. If we accede to these temptations, we participate in sin, developing a sin habit. Christ, taking our sinful nature, and bearing our sins, faced the same temptations we face, but did not develop a sin habit.

Reply Quote
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!