HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 96 of 103 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128763
11/10/10 05:11 PM
11/10/10 05:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
M: I don't know why the Godhead elected to create the FMAs they knew with absolute certainty would sin and die. . . . [post truncated and quotes omitted by Tom]

T: You've made clear you don't know why you believe what you do regarding the idea you have. I don't think your idea makes sense, and you apparently don't either. If at some point you see some sense for why you believe what you do, you could share that, and we could continue our discussion. Until then, I invite you to consider that possibility that your thinking might be wrong. You may be simply misinterpreting the passages which lead you to the conclusions you don't understand.

I think having a point of view that one understands in regards to the problem of evil is preferable, especially as this is a subject which weighs so heavily on the minds of so many. Many people want to know how an all-powerful, all-loving God could create such a world as we have, full of suffering and injustice. As SDA's, we have a wonderful answer to give, which involves the Great Controversy. Saying that God created beings He was certain would sin isn't an answer that satisfies.

M:The following inspired insights make it clear the Godhead chose to create FMAs even though they knew precisely which ones would sin and die.

You just quote the same passages as before. I'm aware that you quote these passages, and ignore the ones I quote. No need to repeat that! What I asked about was the *why* involved. That is, why do you believe that God would create beings He was certain would sin.

The quotes I have repeatedly shared clearly say God knew with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die. Yet it did not deter Him. He chose to create them anyhow. You want to know why. The statements highlighted in blue (see previous quotes) explain why. Ellen also wrote:

Quote:
The incarnation of Christ is a mystery. The union of divinity with humanity is a mystery indeed, hidden with God, "even the mystery which hath been hid from ages." It was kept in eternal silence by Jehovah, and was first revealed in Eden, by the prophecy that the Seed of the woman should bruise the serpent's head, and that he should bruise his heel. To present to the world this mystery that God kept in silence for eternal ages before the world was created, before man was created, was the part that Christ was to act in the work he entered upon when he came to this earth. And this wonderful mystery, the incarnation of Christ and the atonement that he made, must be declared to every son and daughter of Adam, whether Jew or Gentile. His sufferings perfectly fulfilled the claims of the law of God. None of the apostles could have filled the deficiency, had there been any. {ST, March 25, 1897 par. 8}

God knew for an eternity Jesus would succeed on the cross at redeeming sinners.

Quote:
M: I hear you saying, no, God did not know with absolute certainty who would sin and die. You say God knew all the possible outcomes and that some of them involved all FMAs sinning and dying. You also say God risked it hoping none of them would sin and die. Personally, I think this view of God portrays Him as impotent and reckless.

T: I think you're choice of "impotent" is telling here. I think you have a view of God which demands a high degree of control (so much so, I don't really understand why you're not a Calvinist). My point of view is that God created beings with the capability to love, and that this entailed risk. Why do you think this would make God impotent? I believe that God, in choosing to make creatures who could love and be loved, chose to share His power. Indeed, this is the only way free will can work.

You say "love risks all" explains why God chose to create beings He knew might sin and die. The fact you believe God had no idea they would not certainly sin and die and risked it hoping they wouldn't is what I think is impotent.

Whereas, I believe agape love is superior. It is omniscient and omnipotent. It doesn't take risks. It doesn't have to. Again, the quotes you omitted make it clear God knew with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die. Let's examine more closely what Ellen wrote about it: "But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness."

1. In "yet it" what does the "it" refer to?
2. In "for" what does "for" refer to?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128764
11/10/10 05:20 PM
11/10/10 05:20 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: The risks were real.

T: This means there was a chance of failure. This contradicts what you wrote here: "... the chances He would sin and fail was 0%." Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word risk(?). Here's the definition: "the possibility of incurring loss or misfortune." Do you see how this is the opposite of "the chances He would sin and fail was 0%"?

M:Saying there was a possibility Jesus could (possesses the ability and power to) fail is totally different than saying He knew there was no possibility He would fail.

Jesus Christ had the physical ability to be a gladiator. But there was no chance he would become a gladiator. Thus there was no risk that Christ would become a gladiator. However, there was a risk that Christ would fail. He came at the risk of failure and eternal loss. You're treating Christ's temptations as being akin to His becoming a gladiator, as something that He had the physical capability of doing, but not as something that was possible that He would actually do.

But Christ's temptations were real. He could actually have sinned.

Quote:
M: It never once occurred to Jesus to deliberately sin or to abandon the plan of salvation. Yes, He was tempted to sin and to abandon the plan of salvation, but He didn't hesitate or waver between wanting to and not wanting to. God forbid!!!! He instantly, immediately, and resolutely resisted sin, self, and Satan.

T: You're saying it was easy for Jesus? That is, to make the decision as to what to do? He didn't have to think hard about it. Is this correct?

M:Jesus never wanted to sin or abandon the plan of salvation. Surely you can agree. He also resolved instantly to reject and resist temptation. Surely you can agree. Did it require superhuman effort to retain His resolve? Yes, of course. Was it easy to retain resolve. No, of course not. On one occasion He sweated blood retaining His resolve.

If it never once occurred to Jesus to abandon the Plan of Salvation, how could He have been sweating blood over the decision?

Quote:
T: I believe Jesus Christ knew He was taking a risk, that there was a chance He would fail.

Yes, there was a risk Jesus would sin or abandon the plan of salvation. The risk pertains to the fact Jesus possessed the ability and power to fail.

This isn't what "risk" means. "Risk" has nothing to do with the abilities one has, but with the chance of failure. If the chance of failure is >0, then there is risk involved. If the chance of failure is 0, then there is no risk.

Definition of "risk":

Quote:
the possibility of incurring loss or misfortune

Quote:
Before His incarnation it was impossible for Him to sin or to redeem sinners. However, there was a risk the Father wouldn't consent to the plan of salvation. God possessed the ability and power not to implement the plan of salvation. Nevertheless, God knew with absolute certainty He would permit Jesus to save the human race. He also knew Jesus would succeed.

If God was eternally certain that He would permit Jesus to come, there was no risk God wouldn't consent to the plan of salvation. What you've stated above is self contradictory.

Quote:
PS - I posted 12 different statements where Jesus positively affirmed He would succeed. You haven't posted a single statement where Jesus expressed doubt about it. Why haven't you posted one?

I've posted many statements saying that there was risk involved in Christ's mission. Why haven't you posted any saying there weren't?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128765
11/10/10 05:38 PM
11/10/10 05:38 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Re: #128763, you didn't answer my question (first part of the post). That is, this one:

Quote:
You just quote the same passages as before. I'm aware that you quote these passages, and ignore the ones I quote. No need to repeat that! What I asked about was the *why* involved. That is, why do you believe that God would create beings He was certain would sin.

You just did what you did before, which I said there was no need to do. Quoting passages with no explanation isn't helpful. What would be helpful would be to state in your own words why you believe that God would create beings He was certain would sin.

The only think I can recall you're ever saying to answer this question is that God would establish His throne in righteousness. But that begs the question, "Couldn't God establish His throne in righteousness without creating beings He was certain would sin?"

Answer?

Quote:
You say "love risks all" explains why God chose to create beings He knew might sin and die. The fact you believe God had no idea they would not certainly sin and die and risked it hoping they wouldn't is what I think is impotent.

MM, when someone calls to your attention that you've been misrepresenting them, you should stop.

Specifically, I've nowhere said that God had "no idea" they would not certainly sin and die. I pointed this out to you, and requested you not make this misrepresentation.

What I've said is that love entails risk, and God was aware of the possibility that His creatures (any of them) might reject His love. What's wrong with phrasing things this way?

Quote:
Whereas, I believe agape love is superior. It is omniscient and omnipotent. It doesn't take risks. It doesn't have to.

This would make a good topic. I'll try to post this as a topic today.

Quote:
Again, the quotes you omitted make it clear God knew with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die.

Again, the quotes you omitted make it clear that God did not know with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die.

Quote:
Let's examine more closely what Ellen wrote about it: "But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness."

1. In "yet it" what does the "it" refer to?
2. In "for" what does "for" refer to?

You quote the same quotes over and over again, and ignore the ones which look contrary to your position. What good is that? Why not quote all the quotes that deal with the subject, and state an explanation which accounts for all the quotes?

Regarding your questions, as I said before, God knew of the possibility of man's sinning (as well as all the other "millions of worlds," they had just as much possibility to sin as man), and was willing to take the risk, knowing that even should this happen He could still establish His throne in righteousness.

The point isn't that God was dependent upon sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness (your point?), but that in spite of sin, God would still establish His throne in righteousness.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128766
11/10/10 05:41 PM
11/10/10 05:41 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
From Early Writings starting on page 125:
Quote:
But the serpent tempted Eve, and she tempted her husband, and they both ate of the forbidden tree. They broke God's command, and became sinners. The news spread through heaven, and every harp was hushed. The angels sorrowed, and feared lest Adam and Eve would again put forth the hand and eat of the tree of life and be immortal sinners. But God said that He would drive the transgressors from the garden, and by cherubim and a flaming sword would guard the way of the tree of life, so that man could not approach unto it and eat of its fruit, which perpetuates immortality.
It doesn't appear the angels knew it was a sure thing.
Quote:
Sorrow filled heaven as it was realized that man was lost and that the world which God had created was to be filled with mortals doomed to misery, sickness, and death, and that there was no way of escape for the offender. The whole family of Adam must die.
Again, it wouldn't make sense for the angels to sorrow if they knew the story already played out, if they knew what was going to happen.
Quote:
I then saw the lovely Jesus and beheld an expression of sympathy and sorrow upon His countenance.
It also doesn't appear that Jesus knew what would happen, that He knew with certainty that He would succeed else, why would he experience sorrow? No need to if there was no risk (not using risk to mean "capability").
Quote:
Soon I saw Him approach the exceeding bright light which enshrouded the Father. Said my accompanying angel, "He is in close converse with His Father." The anxiety of the angels seemed to be intense while Jesus was communing with His Father.
The angels still didn't know.
Quote:
Three times He was shut in by the glorious light about the Father, and the third time He came from the Father we could see His person. His countenance was calm, free from all perplexity and trouble, and shone with a loveliness which words cannot describe.
Three times!
An odd thing to say if this was already known. Was this some sort of charade? Perhaps to keep the angels guessing?
Saying Jesus was "free from all perplexity and trouble" would indicate that before He wasn't. Which indicates He didn't know what would happen.

If I knew what was going to be the outcome of some meeting, I would not experience perplexity and trouble and then suddenly not at the conclusion.
Quote:
He then made known to the angelic choir that a way of escape had been made for lost man; that He had been pleading with His Father, and had obtained permission to give His own life as a ransom for the race, to bear their sins, and take the sentence of death upon Himself, thus opening a way whereby they might, through the merits of His blood, find pardon for past transgressions, and by obedience be brought back to the garden from which they were driven. Then they could again have access to the glorious, immortal fruit of the tree of life to which they had now forfeited all right.
Finally, the angels are clued in. But what about this "pleading with His Father"? Pleading indicates things can go various ways, that the future is wide open.
Quote:
Then joy, inexpressible joy, filled heaven, and the heavenly choir sang a song of praise and adoration. They touched their harps and sang a note higher than they had done before, because of the great mercy and
condescension of God in yielding up His dearly Beloved to die for a race of rebels. Then praise and adoration was poured forth for the self-denial and sacrifice of Jesus, in consenting to leave the bosom of His Father, and choosing a life of suffering and anguish, and an ignominious death, that He might give life to others.
Angles included in the plan. "self-denial and sacrifice"? Possible to experience even if it's a sure thing. But "consenting"? What is there to consent to if one knows the future like history? Sure, one could "consent" to run a race even if he knew he would win/lose ahead of time, but something about the statements appear to me to indicate something of a different meaning.
Quote:
Said the angel, "Think ye that the Father yielded up His dearly beloved Son without a struggle? No, no." It was even a struggle with the God of heaven, whether to let guilty man perish, or to give His darling Son to die for them. Angels were so interested for man's salvation that there could be found among them those who would yield their glory and give their life for perishing man. "But," said my accompanying angel, "that would avail nothing." The transgression was so great that an angel's life would not pay the debt. Nothing but the death and intercession of God's Son would pay the debt and save lost man from hopeless sorrow and misery.
Doesn't seem like the Father knew the future like history or why would it be a struggle if it was a sure thing? "whether"? Like a choice? Why a choice if it was already known what the choice was and how it played out?
Quote:
But the work which was assigned the angels was to ascend and descend with strengthening balm from glory to soothe the Son of God in His life of suffering. They administered unto Jesus. Also, their work was to guard and keep the subjects of grace from the evil angels and from the darkness which was constantly thrown around them by Satan. I saw that it was impossible for God to change His law in order to save lost, perishing man; therefore He suffered His darling Son to die for man's transgressions.
Why? Why was it necessary for the angels to strengthen him if it was a sure thing? If it was a sure thing, if the future had already played out like history, why was it necessary to go through this charade?

Is there a way to resolve this or should these pages be torn out of the book?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #128789
11/11/10 05:12 PM
11/11/10 05:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Saying there was a possibility Jesus could (possesses the ability and power to) fail is totally different than saying He knew there was no possibility He would fail.

T: You're treating Christ's temptations as being akin to His becoming a gladiator, as something that He had the physical capability of doing, but not as something that was possible that He would actually do. But Christ's temptations were real. He could actually have sinned. . . If it never once occurred to Jesus to abandon the Plan of Salvation, how could He have been sweating blood over the decision?. . . If the chance of failure is >0, then there is risk involved. If the chance of failure is 0, then there is no risk.

Jesus knew He would never choose to sin or abandon the plan of salvation. Do you see the difference? He never worried or wondered if He might not succeed or lose faith and fail. His fervent and faithful prayer life guaranteed Him success. The blood He sweated in Gethsemane was an indication of the emotional anguish He was experiencing because He was succeeding at implementing the plan of salvation – not because He wanted to abandon it. God forbid! The risk was real. Jesus could have sinned. But both the Father and the Son knew Jesus would not willfully choose to sin or abandon the plan of salvation. Nevertheless, the “possibility of incurring loss or misfortune” was real. In the same way, and for the same reasons, I know Jesus will return to take me home. He said, “I will come again”, just like He said, “I will rise again”. His word is sure and true. Is there a possibility He might not keep His promise? Yes. The risk is real. Does it imply He has no idea if He will certainly return? No.

Quote:
M: I posted 12 different statements where Jesus positively affirmed He would succeed. You haven't posted a single statement where Jesus expressed doubt about it. Why haven't you posted one?

T: I've posted many statements saying that there was risk involved in Christ's mission. Why haven't you posted any saying there weren't?

I agree the risk was real. Do you agree neither the Father nor the Son expressed doubt about it? If not, please post a statement where either one expressed doubt about it. The risk and peril quotes do not portray either one expressing doubt. In light of the 12 positive statements I posted, of which there are hundreds more, the onus is upon you to post at least one negative statement (one statement expressing doubt).

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128790
11/11/10 05:30 PM
11/11/10 05:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Kland
Is there a way to resolve this or should these pages be torn out of the book?

Please post where Ellen said, "Neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed." Assuming she implied it does not count, especially in light of the fact there are hundreds of places where she portrays the Father and the Son emphatically stating Jesus will succeed.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128793
11/11/10 06:03 PM
11/11/10 06:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Couldn't God establish His throne in righteousness without creating beings He was certain would sin?

Regarding this “mystery” the only inspired statements we have at our disposal are the ones I posted above. They simply say that for an eternity God knew which FMAs would sin and that He had a plan in place to deal with the great controversy. None of the inspired passages venture to explain why God chose to create the FMAs He knew would certainly sin.

Quote:
What I've said is that love entails risk, and God was aware of the possibility that His creatures (any of them) might reject His love. What's wrong with phrasing things this way?

There’s nothing wrong with me saying you think God did not, yea, could not, know with absolute certainty exactly which FMAs would surely sin. Your statement above implies it. I believe the exact opposite of what you believe, that is, I believe God knew precisely which FMAs would surely sin.

Quote:
Again, the quotes you omitted make it clear that God did not know with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die.

Which quotes? Are you referring to the “risk” quotes? Please repost the quotes you believe clearly portray God expressing He “did not know with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die.”

Quote:
M: Let's examine more closely what Ellen wrote about it: "But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness." 1. In "yet it" what does the "it" refer to? 2. In "for" what does "for" refer to?

T: Regarding your questions, as I said before, God knew of the possibility of man's sinning (as well as all the other "millions of worlds," they had just as much possibility to sin as man), and was willing to take the risk, knowing that even should this happen He could still establish His throne in righteousness. The point isn't that God was dependent upon sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness (your point?), but that in spite of sin, God would still establish His throne in righteousness.

"But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness."

1. In "yet it" what does the "it" refer to? Obviously “it” refers to “the defection of man, with all its consequences”. The content and context disallows the assumption she meant the “possibility of man’s sinning”.

2. In "for" what does "for" refer to? “For” answers why “the defection of man, with all its consequences” “did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose”. Again, the content and context disallows the assumption she meant “God was dependent upon sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness”.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128794
11/11/10 06:04 PM
11/11/10 06:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Deleted duplicate post.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128803
11/11/10 08:45 PM
11/11/10 08:45 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
M: Saying there was a possibility Jesus could (possesses the ability and power to) fail is totally different than saying He knew there was no possibility He would fail.

T: You're treating Christ's temptations as being akin to His becoming a gladiator, as something that He had the physical capability of doing, but not as something that was possible that He would actually do. But Christ's temptations were real. He could actually have sinned. . . If it never once occurred to Jesus to abandon the Plan of Salvation, how could He have been sweating blood over the decision?. . . If the chance of failure is >0, then there is risk involved. If the chance of failure is 0, then there is no risk.

M:Jesus knew He would never choose to sin or abandon the plan of salvation. Do you see the difference?[/quote]

The difference between what?

Quote:
He never worried or wondered if He might not succeed or lose faith and fail.

What good would worrying do? Wouldn't that, in itself, be a sin? Before coming, however, I'm sure it was considered in great detail by the godhead. Indeed, the EW 125 statement makes clear it was considered carefully.

Quote:
His fervent and faithful prayer life guaranteed Him success.

This is pretty much what Waggoner said, but Ellen White corrected him, saying that Christ could have sinned. (this is the only time I'm aware of that she corrected Waggoner on a theological point, btw).

Quote:
The blood He sweated in Gethsemane was an indication of the emotional anguish He was experiencing because He was succeeding at implementing the plan of salvation – not because He wanted to abandon it. God forbid! The risk was real. Jesus could have sinned.

The emotional anguish was because the temptation to not go through with the plan was very great. The chapter on "Gethsemane" in "The Desire of Ages" makes this clear. Actually, it's very clear from Scripture. "If it's possible, take this cup away from Me." That makes clear what the agony was concerning.

Quote:
But both the Father and the Son knew Jesus would not willfully choose to sin or abandon the plan of salvation. Nevertheless, the “possibility of incurring loss or misfortune” was real.

This is obviously self-contradictory.

Quote:
In the same way, and for the same reasons, I know Jesus will return to take me home. He said, “I will come again”, just like He said, “I will rise again”. His word is sure and true. Is there a possibility He might not keep His promise? Yes.

What?! There is a possibility that Christ might not keep His promise? That's preposterous!

Quote:
The risk is real.

The risk is real that Christ won't keep His promise? I couldn't disagree more. I'm surprised you think this.

Quote:
Does it imply He has no idea if He will certainly return? No.

It implies you don't.

Quote:
M: I posted 12 different statements where Jesus positively affirmed He would succeed. You haven't posted a single statement where Jesus expressed doubt about it. Why haven't you posted one?

T: I've posted many statements saying that there was risk involved in Christ's mission. Why haven't you posted any saying there weren't?

M:I agree the risk was real.

No you don't. At least, not defining "risk" in a standard way.

Quote:
Do you agree neither the Father nor the Son expressed doubt about it? If not, please post a statement where either one expressed doubt about it. The risk and peril quotes do not portray either one expressing doubt. In light of the 12 positive statements I posted, of which there are hundreds more, the onus is upon you to post at least one negative statement (one statement expressing doubt).

Why? My point has been that there was risk involved. I've never claimed that God or Jesus Christ expressed doubt about it. Why should I produce evidence for something I've neither claimed nor believe to be true?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128809
11/12/10 01:19 AM
11/12/10 01:19 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: In the same way, and for the same reasons, I know Jesus will return to take me home. He said, “I will come again”, just like He said, “I will rise again”. His word is sure and true. Is there a possibility He might not keep His promise? Yes.

T: What?! There is a possibility that Christ might not keep His promise? That's preposterous!

Good point. The idea that Jesus didn't mean what He said is crazy talk. However, apparently you pick and choose which promises you believe. For example, you believe there was a possibility Jesus wouldn't keep the 12 promises I posted earlier.

Quote:
M: Do you agree neither the Father nor the Son expressed doubt about it? If not, please post a statement where either one expressed doubt about it. The risk and peril quotes do not portray either one expressing doubt. In light of the 12 positive statements I posted, of which there are hundreds more, the onus is upon you to post at least one negative statement (one statement expressing doubt).

T: Why? My point has been that there was risk involved. I've never claimed that God or Jesus Christ expressed doubt about it. Why should I produce evidence for something I've neither claimed nor believe to be true?

Please post biblical quotes where the Father or the Son plainly state there is a risk Jesus might intentionally or unintentionally choose to sin or refuse to redeem mankind. The risk and peril passages do not portray Ellen quoting the Father or the Son.

Quote:
M: Jesus knew He would never choose to sin or abandon the plan of salvation. Do you see the difference?

T: The difference between what?[/quote]
The difference between knowing He can sin and knowing He will not sin.

Page 96 of 103 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!