HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Mountain Man] #104126
11/02/08 02:09 AM
11/02/08 02:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But I am suggesting that the way Wesleyans understood issues involved with soteriology and the closely related issues of the nature of man, law, and sin were most directly formative for the core of Adventist theology.

I don't think there's any doubt this is true.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Tom] #104189
11/04/08 04:27 PM
11/04/08 04:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Again, is it possible God revealed it to Ellen White through the spirit of prophecy, and that He didn't rely on previous views?

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Mountain Man] #130029
01/08/11 06:22 AM
01/08/11 06:22 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Actually Adventism is a oneness of Armininism and Calvinism, with aspects of both being changed by the oneness:

Plan Calivanism is sort of like someone driving a car bring you the the destination the driver decides to bring you to. Plan Armininism is we driving, Mrs. White has God driving us to where we decide.

C. S. Lewis' "A Horse and his boy" makes a great discription of Mrs. White's view. But read the chapter about Caiphas. Was Ciaphis following his will, or was he fulfilling God's plan for the universe? Yes!

God could have picked a Moses who was facing a more willing leader of Egypt.

Satan is pictured as someone who even in his rebellion against God can't help but find everything he does fulfilling God's plan.

We choose to be rebels or faithful but which ever plays our part in the Great Controversy.

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Mountain Man] #130030
01/08/11 06:25 AM
01/08/11 06:25 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Again, is it possible God revealed it to Ellen White through the spirit of prophecy, and that He didn't rely on previous views?

No, because this would be God forcing the will which God does not do (and we wish God would do). Truth always grows and builds on what others have seen. Prophets are only to point it into the right direction when it could grow into a different direction.

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Mountain Man] #130034
01/08/11 03:53 PM
01/08/11 03:53 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Is it possible that SDA theology is derived from Scripture?

Possible, but not in isolation. Adventist pioneers came from many backgrounds and faith traditions, and brought their unique understandings with them. As mentioned above, many of these were of the Methodist/CC (Armenian) camp.

One's interpretation of Scripture is based on one's world view. The pioneers interpreted Scripture according to how they saw the world. The world has changed. It's not what Scripture says so much as how we interpret Scripture that really has an effect.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: JAK] #130049
01/09/11 04:33 PM
01/09/11 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Over time, as certain people protested this or that false doctrine advocated by the RCC, various followings and fellowships emerged (i.e. Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, Wesleyans, etc). All of them based their conclusions on what they found in the Bible. Is it unfair to say our pioneers also based their conclusions on what they found in the Bible? Or, were they guilty of assuming certain doctrines were correct without confirming them through serious Bible study and prayer? Also, did Jesus assist our pioneers in their efforts to arrive at the truth? Did He raise up a "messenger" to help guide them and to confirm their findings?

Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Mountain Man] #130106
01/13/11 02:23 AM
01/13/11 02:23 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
It is always comical for me to hear in such a discussion of God, the Future and Free Will how people will try to identify with either the schools of Arminianism, Calvanism, Augustinian, or preachers like Luther, Spurgeon, etc. The real question rather is, along the lines of “Mountain Man’s” question earlier: “What do the Scriptures themselves actually, i.e., exegetically teach? The answer takes much work to conclusive ascertain as it virtually involves all of Scripture, however there are several key indicators that point to what the Biblical Truth of the Matter is.

I have done a study on this topic which is posted in this blog post. Included in the comments sections is a 50+ comment exchange with an SDA Pastort (Arthur Gibbs of NC) who reflects the general (Biblically/Exegetically deficient) state of comprehension of the Church on this matter, leading to a most significant void in the Church’s Theology. (Comments on this study can be made here).

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: NJK Project] #130562
01/31/11 07:01 AM
01/31/11 07:01 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
This October 2010, “Arminianism and Adventism” Symposium by the Adventist Theological Society may be of, (at least, [in my view]), contributive background/informational benefit to this discussion. As mentioned above, it is a little too ‘“deferentially, and spuriously, “philosophical”’ vs. being directly, soundly exegetical for me!

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: NJK Project] #132335
04/04/11 10:02 AM
04/04/11 10:02 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Hi NJP,

I read 1/3 of your blog on this subject which I agree with your perspective of Isa 46:10 that God does declare from the beginning the end. This is His Sovereignty signature on all things which makes Him God and everything else a mere "creation" with no inherit power. God is all Powerful (El Shaddai).

In your second section of your blog entitled “limiting the Power of God”, I agree that God works all things and he uses “high scientific realities” by which many of us will define things we do not understand as a “miracles” undermining it as if He uses magic. He works through His Laws(which are all a reflection of His character) including in the physical reality and will not break His own Laws that He has establish at Creation. However your last paragraph is a popular belief which is unbiblical and contradictory in nature of your statement about Isa 46:10 where you are establishing His Sovereignty.

You said
Quote:
“Clearly God considers His Characteristic Attribute to be in His Power and Ability to (ultimately) accomplish His will against any odds, or human obstacles. And still He does this without violating the free will of any of His intelligently created free moral agents, i.e., human beings.”

On one hand you say God is Sovereign and on the other you say human’s choice supercedes God’s choices with his “free will” characteristic. Are you implying that God has no Sovereignty over our choices? Does God has Sovereigny over the choices of the animals? For sure He does for the inanimate objects for they have no freewill, right? All this is based because we have the ability of reason and whoever has no reasoning ability cannot choose their destiny. So if I’m understanding you correctly, you are saying that human’s choices is above God’s choices in determining their present reality? Are you saying that God never imposes His will on human’s?

Quote:
Jer 31:18 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God.

31:19 Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

Blessings
Re: Is Adventism absolutely Arminian (Free will)? [Re: Elle] #132337
04/04/11 12:06 PM
04/04/11 12:06 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Hi Elle. Appreciate your thoughtful comments. That is an interesting point your bring up. I did not think my statement there could be perceived wrongly. I meant for it to say that God will, at times, ultimately, not violate our free will in order to accomplish His Will for something favoring. I do not see that it is too hard for Him to “summons” (Isa 46:11) an evil person to do a work of destruction. In fact, not much convincing is usually needed there. Thus this is limited to finding people to do His “Good will.” There are many Bible examples that can be cited where, when God even uses supernatural manifestation to get someone to do His will (e.g, Paul on the Road to Damascus), that person always has the choice to obey or not. (Getting King Cyrus to let Israel return to their land also needed such supernatural convincing which I understand, as stated on my blog, as mentioning Him by name ca. 60 years before that time). However, because of that greater amount of revelation to convince that person, that person is held at a much higher level of responsibility. (E.g. Moses who saw God in the burning bush vs. in Exod 4:24-26). So this proportional risk of judgement due to this lower threshold for such use of compelling evidence makes this a fair sovereign act.

Another example is God restoring Israel after the Babylonian Captivity Judgement. As He says in Ezek 36:22-38, He did this despite Israel’s unworthiness. However because Ezekiel, as a declared “Son of Man” had, typologically, earlier been made to bear the sins of Judah and Israel (Ezek 4:4-6), God was able to effectuate this restoration. The, anti-typical, similar thing occurred with Jesus and the redemption of the world, with no one being, of themselves, worthy of this salvation. (Rom 3:23).

So in summary, my point is that human choices can, and have, frustrate and delay God’s plans. (Prime example: His Chosen People Israel, repeatedly, as they were until the New Covenant, His only means through which to duly advance and establish the Plan of Redemption). Indeed as seen with Ancient Israel, He cannot work with a faithless people. However I believe that God will not, though He can, force someone to do His will. He can however make it even life threateningly clear that they should, as with Moses. Indeed He instead uses such compelling, also favoring, evidence to strongly convince that person to do this will (e.g,. Paul), however that has greater consequences if that person becomes ‘unfaithful to so great a revelation.’

In regards to Jer 31:18, 19, I exegetically see that the most accurate reading should be:
‘After I turned [active verb - Qal], my ‘mind was changed’ [passive verb - Niphal] and after that I was instructed... [passive verb - Niphal]...’ (cf. NASB).

This shows that the active “turning” action was first done, then their my was (passively) “changed” and then “instructed” by God.

I hope this clarifies my view. Again, good observation.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!