HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 105 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130274
01/20/11 08:26 PM
01/20/11 08:26 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: vastergotland
Yet, honouring free will, Moses could have refused to order the killings if he had so chosen.

Again, King Saul refused to order the execution of Agag. Yes, his reasons were motivated by the culture of heathen nations. If Moses had exercised his God-given freewill and refused to carry out God's command to slaughter every man, woman, and child would he have fared any better than King Saul?
Mike, you are consistently avoiding my point that Moses in another event/s (Ex 32; Num 14) DID exercise his God-given free will and refused to carry out God's command. And what was Gods verdict of Moses?
Originally Posted By: God
He (Moses)is faithful in all my house. 8With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the LORD.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130301
01/21/11 02:52 PM
01/21/11 02:52 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
That is not the only option Mike. You, for instance, have the authority to drown unwanted kittens. Your hands are not tied to prevent you from doing so, yet your morals and principles keep you from doing it. God thus does not prevent bad things from happening to people because His hands are tied but because He has chosen to grant the blessing of free choice to His creatures.

Factoring in what Tom has written about Jesus (i.e. study the NT Jesus to understand why the OT Jesus commanded godly people to kill ungodly people), how would you apply the principle you articulated above? For example, in what sense was He honoring freewill when He commanded Moses to utterly slay every man, woman, and child?

The correct answer is:
While God had the authority to command Moses to maim, torture, and kill men, women, and children, we must conclude it was not His will. And, as brought out elsewhere, Moses could have refused.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130310
01/21/11 05:44 PM
01/21/11 05:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: I've suggested over and over again that the way to tackle this question is to first form a foundation based on what God's character is, based on the life and revelation of Jesus Christ, and then come back to these questions, as opposed to starting with these questions

M: Okay, let's do it your way. Please take the lead. Present your case in a way that explains 1) why Jesus commanded godly people to kill ungodly people in battle, 2) why Jesus commanded godly people to execute capital punishment, and 3) why Jesus withdraws His protection and permits the forces of nature, evil men, and/or evil angels to kill men, women, and children.

The purpose of this exercise is to obtain a correct understanding of the three actions named above. That is, the "way to tackle this question is to first form a foundation based on what God's character is, based on the life and revelation of Jesus Christ, and then come back to these questions." I agree. Please take the lead. Thank you.

T: All right. Let's consider the revelation of God given by Christ through His life and teachings. What did He teach us regarding God? Let's start with the Sermon on the Mount. What did Christ teach regarding God? Christ taught that one should turn the other cheek, walk the second mile, give the shirt off one's back to the request of a coat, that one should love one's enemies. Is God like this?

M: Tom, all of the above is what you agreed to.

T: Yes, this indeed looks like what I agreed to, which is not what you've been suggesting. . . . So I am opposed to starting with the questions you keep asking. I think the problem lies with the whole mindset that would ask the question. I believe a correct understanding of God's character would result in the asking of different questions.

For the last several pages of this thread I've been encouraging you to lead this study as you see fit. And, you've been doing a great job of presenting the Father and the Son in the best light. You've made it abundantly clear God is "merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin . . . ."

Please continue to lead this study as you see fit. Thank you.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: vastergotland] #130313
01/21/11 06:12 PM
01/21/11 06:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
V: Yet, honouring free will, Moses could have refused to order the killings if he had so chosen.

M:Again, King Saul refused to order the execution of Agag. Yes, his reasons were motivated by the culture of heathen nations. If Moses had exercised his God-given freewill and refused to carry out God's command to slaughter every man, woman, and child would he have fared any better than King Saul?

V: Mike, you are consistently avoiding my point that Moses in another event/s (Ex 32; Num 14) DID exercise his God-given free will and refused to carry out God's command. And what was Gods verdict of Moses? "He (Moses)is faithful in all my house. 8With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the LORD."

Here's what you're referring to:

Quote:
32:9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it [is] a stiffnecked people:
32:10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.
32:11 And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?
32:12 Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.
32:13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit [it] for ever.
32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Here's what Ellen wrote about it:

Quote:
"Let Me alone, . . . that I may consume them," were the words of God. If God had purposed to destroy Israel, who could plead for them? How few but would have left the sinners to their fate! How few but would have gladly exchanged a lot of toil and burden and sacrifice, repaid with ingratitude and murmuring, for a position of ease and honor, when it was God Himself that offered the release. {PP 318.2}

But Moses discerned ground for hope where there appeared only discouragement and wrath. The words of God, "Let Me alone," he understood not to forbid but to encourage intercession, implying that nothing but the prayers of Moses could save Israel, but that if thus entreated, God would spare His people. He "besought the Lord his God, and said, Lord, why doth Thy wrath wax hot against Thy people, which Thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?" {PP 318.3}

God had signified that He disowned His people. He had spoken of them to Moses as "thy people, which thou broughtest out of Egypt." But Moses humbly disclaimed the leadership of Israel. They were not his, but God's--"Thy people, which Thou has brought forth . . . with great power, and with a mighty hand. Wherefore," he urged, "should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did He bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth?" {PP 318.4}

During the few months since Israel left Egypt, the report of their wonderful deliverance had spread to all the surrounding nations. Fear and terrible foreboding rested upon the heathen. All were watching to see what the God of Israel would do for His people. Should they now be destroyed, their enemies would triumph, and God would be dishonored. The Egyptians would claim that their accusations were true--instead of leading His people into the wilderness to sacrifice, He had caused them to be sacrificed. They would not consider the sins of Israel; the destruction of the people whom He had so signally honored, would bring reproach upon His name. How great the responsibility resting upon those whom God has highly honored, to make His name a praise in the earth! With what care should they guard against committing sin, to call down His judgments and cause His name to be reproached by the ungodly! {PP 319.1}

As Moses interceded for Israel, his timidity was lost in his deep interest and love for those for whom he had, in the hands of God, been the means of doing so much. The Lord listened to his pleadings, and granted his unselfish prayer. God had proved His servant; He had tested his faithfulness and his love for that erring, ungrateful people, and nobly had Moses endured the trial. His interest in Israel sprang from no selfish motive. The prosperity of God's chosen people was dearer to him than personal honor, dearer than the privilege of becoming the father of a mighty nation. God was pleased with his faithfulness, his simplicity of heart, and his integrity, and He committed to him, as a faithful shepherd, the great charge of leading Israel to the Promised Land. {PP 319.2}

In this case, God was testing Moses. And Moses passed the test. However, do you think God was testing Moses when Jesus commanded him to "kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him"? Do you think God expected Moses to intercede on their behalf? Did he fail the test?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130314
01/21/11 06:16 PM
01/21/11 06:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
While God had the authority to command Moses to maim, torture, and kill men, women, and children, we must conclude it was not His will. And, as brought out elsewhere, Moses could have refused.

Where in the Bile or the SOP does it say God commanded Moses to maim and torture men, women, and children?

If Moses had refused to obey Jesus' command to "kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him" what do you think He would have done about it?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130334
01/21/11 09:22 PM
01/21/11 09:22 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I thought you were the one saying it.

What happened the other times when people refused to do what God told them?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130344
01/22/11 02:42 AM
01/22/11 02:42 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
K: While God had the authority to command Moses to maim, torture, and kill men, women, and children, we must conclude it was not His will. And, as brought out elsewhere, Moses could have refused.

M: Where in the Bile or the SOP does it say God commanded Moses to maim and torture men, women, and children? If Moses had refused to obey Jesus' command to "kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him" what do you think He would have done about it?

K: I thought you were the one saying it. What happened the other times when people refused to do what God told them?

I've never said God commanded Moses to maim or torture men, women, and children. Consider the case of King Saul and Agag. What happened when he refused to obey Jesus' command to kill Agag?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130357
01/22/11 05:05 PM
01/22/11 05:05 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
V: Yet, honouring free will, Moses could have refused to order the killings if he had so chosen.

M:Again, King Saul refused to order the execution of Agag. Yes, his reasons were motivated by the culture of heathen nations. If Moses had exercised his God-given freewill and refused to carry out God's command to slaughter every man, woman, and child would he have fared any better than King Saul?

V: Mike, you are consistently avoiding my point that Moses in another event/s (Ex 32; Num 14) DID exercise his God-given free will and refused to carry out God's command. And what was Gods verdict of Moses? "He (Moses)is faithful in all my house. 8With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the LORD."

Here's what you're referring to:

Quote:
32:9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it [is] a stiffnecked people:
32:10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.
32:11 And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?
32:12 Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.
32:13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit [it] for ever.
32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Here's what Ellen wrote about it:

Quote:
"Let Me alone, . . . that I may consume them," were the words of God. If God had purposed to destroy Israel, who could plead for them? How few but would have left the sinners to their fate! How few but would have gladly exchanged a lot of toil and burden and sacrifice, repaid with ingratitude and murmuring, for a position of ease and honor, when it was God Himself that offered the release. {PP 318.2}

But Moses discerned ground for hope where there appeared only discouragement and wrath. The words of God, "Let Me alone," he understood not to forbid but to encourage intercession, implying that nothing but the prayers of Moses could save Israel, but that if thus entreated, God would spare His people. He "besought the Lord his God, and said, Lord, why doth Thy wrath wax hot against Thy people, which Thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?" {PP 318.3}

God had signified that He disowned His people. He had spoken of them to Moses as "thy people, which thou broughtest out of Egypt." But Moses humbly disclaimed the leadership of Israel. They were not his, but God's--"Thy people, which Thou has brought forth . . . with great power, and with a mighty hand. Wherefore," he urged, "should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did He bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth?" {PP 318.4}

During the few months since Israel left Egypt, the report of their wonderful deliverance had spread to all the surrounding nations. Fear and terrible foreboding rested upon the heathen. All were watching to see what the God of Israel would do for His people. Should they now be destroyed, their enemies would triumph, and God would be dishonored. The Egyptians would claim that their accusations were true--instead of leading His people into the wilderness to sacrifice, He had caused them to be sacrificed. They would not consider the sins of Israel; the destruction of the people whom He had so signally honored, would bring reproach upon His name. How great the responsibility resting upon those whom God has highly honored, to make His name a praise in the earth! With what care should they guard against committing sin, to call down His judgments and cause His name to be reproached by the ungodly! {PP 319.1}

As Moses interceded for Israel, his timidity was lost in his deep interest and love for those for whom he had, in the hands of God, been the means of doing so much. The Lord listened to his pleadings, and granted his unselfish prayer. God had proved His servant; He had tested his faithfulness and his love for that erring, ungrateful people, and nobly had Moses endured the trial. His interest in Israel sprang from no selfish motive. The prosperity of God's chosen people was dearer to him than personal honor, dearer than the privilege of becoming the father of a mighty nation. God was pleased with his faithfulness, his simplicity of heart, and his integrity, and He committed to him, as a faithful shepherd, the great charge of leading Israel to the Promised Land. {PP 319.2}

In this case, God was testing Moses. And Moses passed the test. However, do you think God was testing Moses when Jesus commanded him to "kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him"? Do you think God expected Moses to intercede on their behalf? Did he fail the test?
How few but would have left the sinners to their fate!

Two groups of sinners, two commands of God that the sinners should be destroyed. One time Moses defended the sinners, the other time Moses slayed the sinners. Are some sinners better than other sinners, perhaps less sinful or perhaps having more leeway to sin? The father of faith and the starting point of Gods project of salvation, Abraham, pleaded with God over sinners he was unrelated to. Moses only pleaded with God over sinners who were his kin. Did he fail the test, I do not know, but it is possible.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: vastergotland] #130364
01/23/11 03:50 PM
01/23/11 03:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: vastgotland
Did he fail the test, I do not know, but it is possible.

Thank you for clearly answering my question.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130436
01/26/11 04:39 PM
01/26/11 04:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: I've suggested over and over again that the way to tackle this question is to first form a foundation based on what God's character is, based on the life and revelation of Jesus Christ, and then come back to these questions, as opposed to starting with these questions

M: Okay, let's do it your way. Please take the lead. Present your case in a way that explains 1) why Jesus commanded godly people to kill ungodly people in battle, 2) why Jesus commanded godly people to execute capital punishment, and 3) why Jesus withdraws His protection and permits the forces of nature, evil men, and/or evil angels to kill men, women, and children.

The purpose of this exercise is to obtain a correct understanding of the three actions named above. That is, the "way to tackle this question is to first form a foundation based on what God's character is, based on the life and revelation of Jesus Christ, and then come back to these questions." I agree. Please take the lead. Thank you.

T: All right. Let's consider the revelation of God given by Christ through His life and teachings. What did He teach us regarding God? Let's start with the Sermon on the Mount. What did Christ teach regarding God? Christ taught that one should turn the other cheek, walk the second mile, give the shirt off one's back to the request of a coat, that one should love one's enemies. Is God like this?

M: Tom, all of the above is what you agreed to.

T: Yes, this indeed looks like what I agreed to, which is not what you've been suggesting. . . . So I am opposed to starting with the questions you keep asking. I think the problem lies with the whole mindset that would ask the question. I believe a correct understanding of God's character would result in the asking of different questions.

For the last several pages of this thread I've been encouraging you to lead this study as you see fit. And, you've been doing a great job of presenting the Father and the Son in the best light. You've made it abundantly clear God is "merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin . . . ."

Please continue to lead this study as you see fit. Thank you.

Page 12 of 105 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!