HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 40 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 39 40
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130409
01/25/11 08:08 PM
01/25/11 08:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Earlier on this thread I made it clear that I'm referring to "people who learned about the Lord in the best light and chose not to believe God exists." Paul referred to such people when he wrote, "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries."

Paul isn't referring to self-proclaimed atheists here. Why would you think this? There's no hint of this in what Paul wrote.

Originally Posted By: MM
So, yes, the people I'm talking about on this thread are fully aware of the truth and in the best light (as opposed to an unfavorable misrepresentation of God).

This would just about limit the audience to people who heard about God directly from the lips of Jesus Christ. However, these probably weren't atheists.

Quote:
Nevertheless, for whatever reason, they have concluded that God does not exist. In spite of this, they are capable of performing "generous actions" "without the renewing power of Christ". Assuming, of course, you agree feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy qualify as kind, loving, and compassionate.

Isn't the idea of inspiration that we must be born again, to partake of the divine nature, because of our sinful natures? Otherwise we are doomed to a selfish life.

You appear to have the idea that one can live selflessly apart from God's help. I'm not understanding why you think this is possible.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130422
01/26/11 01:21 PM
01/26/11 01:21 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I'm not following this thread, but I think Mike's point is that Bill Gates is an atheist, so is Ted Turner and Warren Buffett and they have donated billions to charity. A selfish life doesn't exclude apparently good/unselfish deeds.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Rosangela] #130425
01/26/11 02:18 PM
01/26/11 02:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I haven't responded to this idea, but to the idea that it's possible for people to do good without God's assistance.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130427
01/26/11 02:31 PM
01/26/11 02:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Nobody is entirely bad. Every person is born with something good in his/her heart. So it's possible to do occasional good deeds without God's assistance.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130428
01/26/11 03:45 PM
01/26/11 03:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: Many of your questions appear to have as an assumption that a person can be loving and compassionate apart from the Holy Spirit's influence. Is this really what you think?

M:Yes, I believe the worst of unbelievers are capable of helping the best of believers feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy. Such "generous actions" are kind, loving, and compassionate.

T: This is a bit confusing, as you say "Yes," but then go on and talk about something I didn't ask, and present a quote about something I didn't ask about as well. So please let me try again. Many of your questions appear to have as an assumption that a person can be loving and compassionate apart from the Holy Spirit's influence. Is this really what you think? Please note that what I'm asking is if a person can *be* loving and compassionate apart from the Holy Spirit.

Yes! They can both be kind, loving, and compassionate, and they can do kind and loving and compassionate "generous actions".

Quote:
M: Ellen wrote:

"The drunkard is despised and is told that his sin will exclude him from heaven; while pride, selfishness, and covetousness too often go unrebuked. But these are sins that are especially offensive to God; for they are contrary to the benevolence of His character, to that unselfish love which is the very atmosphere of the unfallen universe. He who falls into some of the grosser sins may feel a sense of his shame and poverty and his need of the grace of Christ; but pride feels no need, and so it closes the heart against Christ and the infinite blessings He came to give. {SC 30.1}

"It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. By what means, then, shall we determine whose side we are on? {SC 58.1}

The worst of unbelievers, as I understand it, include people who produce "generous actions" "without the renewing power of Christ." I hope this answers your question.

T: Why do you think this? Again, the "worst of unbelievers" would, in most people's mind, I think, include people who do things like abuse children, not help the homeless and other needy people. Why do you think these actions better define the "worst of unbelievers" as opposed to what would come to most people's minds?

Christians are also guilty of such atrocities. But they also help feed, clothe, and house the poor and needy. What is the source of their "generous actions"? What is the source of their sordid actions? Is it possible to do bad things in the morning, generous things in the afternoon, and bad things in the evening? If so, is the Holy Spirit the source of the generous things they do? I think not. I believe people can perform "generous actions" "without the renewing power of Christ." I'm not sure what you believe.

Quote:
M: Please answer my question: Is there any difference between the two sets of "generous actions"? Or, are both sets the result of the Holy Spirit empowering each group to perform the same "generous actions"?

T: So far you're asking me things about an empty set, as far as I can tell. It's like me asking you questions about the actions that people on Mars perform. First you'd have to convince me that there are people on Mars.

Well, do you agree with Ellen that people on earth can perform "generous actions" "without the renewing power of Christ"? If so, what is the source of their "generous actions" - self, Satan, or the Holy Spirit? By "generous actions" I have in mind helping feed, clothe, and house the poor and needy. Perhaps you would like the name other "generous actions" instead?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #130437
01/26/11 04:40 PM
01/26/11 04:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think Rosangela phrased it well.

Quote:
A selfish life doesn't exclude apparently good/unselfish deeds.

I think this is what EGW had in mind.

I'd still like to know how it is you think people can be good without God's help. What about our sinful natures?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130447
01/26/11 06:27 PM
01/26/11 06:27 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Tom, could this be a case of acts don't reflect the person? That is, just like doing bad acts doesn't mean the person is bad, doing good acts doesn't mean the person is good. It has to do with the attitude and timing one has as they do them.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: kland] #130456
01/26/11 07:11 PM
01/26/11 07:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
EGW speaks of how the character is not determined by the occasional good deed or misdeed, but by the trend of the life. That would fit with your comment.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130471
01/27/11 02:23 AM
01/27/11 02:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I think Rosangela phrased it well. "A selfish life doesn't exclude apparently good/unselfish deeds." I think this is what EGW had in mind. I'd still like to know how it is you think people can be good without God's help. What about our sinful natures?

Please address the following the comments and questions:

Christians are also guilty of doing bad things. But they also help feed, clothe, and house the poor and needy. What is the source of their "generous actions"? What is the source of their sordid actions? Is it possible to do bad things in the morning, generous things in the afternoon, and bad things in the evening? If so, is the Holy Spirit the source of the generous things they do? I think not. I believe people can perform "generous actions" "without the renewing power of Christ." I'm not sure what you believe.

Do you agree with Ellen that people on earth can perform "generous actions" "without the renewing power of Christ"? If so, what is the source of their "generous actions" - self, Satan, or the Holy Spirit? By "generous actions" I have in mind helping feed, clothe, and house the poor and needy. Perhaps you would like the name other "generous actions" instead?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #130486
01/27/11 02:26 PM
01/27/11 02:26 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Yes, maybe "generous actions" should be defined. Can someone perform "generous actions" which are bad? Such as, can someone perform "generous actions" to a drug ring, etc?

Page 14 of 40 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 39 40

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!