HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 105 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131401
03/04/11 01:21 AM
03/04/11 01:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
MM:PS - For years I have presented on this forum the fact immortal life is dependent upon us regularly eating the fruit of the tree of life.

But only for people. Neither plants nor animals (other than humans) need to eat of the Tree of Life. So it cannot be for physical reasons that the Tree of Life is needed. It's for spiritual reasons, which is why it only involves human beings.

Quote:
The first death is the result of God denying us access to the fruit of the tree of life. Even sinners, if allowed access, could "eat and live forever." However, the fruit does not prevent the first death in cases involving mortal wounds such as decapitation.

Why did animals and plants start dying? Why won't they die in the new earth?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131403
03/04/11 02:08 AM
03/04/11 02:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
NJK, I really appreciate all the effort you put into your response. I'm sure that took a lot of time. I'm going to respond to points I find interesting on a case by case basis as I have time. If I omit to consider something you think is really important, please bring it up again.

Quote:
T:It seems really odd to me that you would consider these passages to be foundational when it comes to the question of eternal life and eternal death. Why wouldn't a passage like John 3:16, for example, be more foundational? Or Romans 6:23? Or the many passages in John where life is linked to Christ? Is it really possible that the message of Scripture is that life comes from a tree, as opposed to from Jesus Christ, who said, "I am the resurrection and the life," and of whom it is said, "He who has the Son has life; He who has not the Son has not life"?

NJK:I can understand your (surfacely seen) objection here, but I do consider the Genesis passages to be “foundational” because (1) they were said by God Himself and (2) they were made at a time when there was no sin in the world.

You may have spoken to this elsewhere, so I apologize if so, since I'm responding to things as I read them and haven't read everything, but do you consider the words of Jesus Christ to be words spoken by God?

Quote:
If man had not fallen, the sacrifice of Jesus would never have been necessary. Also if you read e.g., EW 149-153 you’ll see that the plan of Redemption was only (most relunctantly) agreed upon, and manifestly established, by God the Father, at the convincing insistence of Christ, only after man has fallen.

Why do you think God was "most reluctant"?

Quote:
As EGW points out just after the fall: “Sorrow filled heaven, as it was realized that man was lost, and that world which God had created was to be filled with mortals doomed to misery, sickness, and death, and there was no way of escape for the offender.” (EW 149.2) (Relatedly, the Bible speaks of ‘Christ being (symbolically, i.e., through types) since/“away from” the foundation of the world and not “before”, that is if Rev 13:8 & 17:8 are even saying that. So this agrees with this post fallen plan and typological implementation.) All this to say that God’s plan for man to live eternally was originally apart from a Sacrifice of Christ. And that life perpetuating plan was through the Tree of Life. As EGW says: “Obedience, perfect and perpetual, was the condition of eternal happiness. On this condition he was to have access to the tree of life.” {PP 49.2} As I have said before, the post fall sacrifice of Christ came to make it possible to have man spiritually restored to a perfect state before God and thus once again grant this right to access the Tree of Life.

I'll try to state your position:

1.God's plan was for man to live forever, and made this possible by means of the Tree of Life.
2.When man sinned, God cut off his access to the Tree of Life.
3.The Plan of Salvation restores man to such a place that he can again have access to the Tree of Life, and so live eternally.

So when the Bible says that we receive eternal life by faith in Christ, this is only indirectly. We receive eternal life because we will, after the resurrection, by virtue of Christ's work in the Plan of Salvation, have access to the Tree of Life.

Does this accurately present your view?

Quote:
It is through this foundational “Perfect/Sinless World” plan of God that I view this issue and the Bible and SOP, with the Tree of Life mention in heaven, to which we will have free access (cf. Rev 2:8), is clear that this will again be the plan once sin is removed from the this world and the universe.

So in regards to Christ statements, which are factually all from God’s (reluctant) Plan B in regards to providing eternal/perpetuating life for man, I’ll use the following illustration:

If I am seeking to buy a house but do not have all of the cash at hand, I’ll therefore need to go to a bank which will make me a loan and actually pay that money directly to the house owner, allowing be to buy the house. I can’t truthfully say to others that I bought the house out of my own money because without the bank covering my cash shortcoming, that would not have been possible at all. So in this way, when I say that fallen man has perpetual life by eating of the tree of life, I implicitly do and can only mean that this is only possible through the sin covering and atoning sacrifice of Christ. However for Unfallen/Sinless Man (i.e., a buyer with all of the cash on hand) such a claim to unmediated, even unaided access would truthful as it factually would be the case.

That may be surfacely “shocking” to hear, but it is all the Biblical/Theological reality. So that is why I consider these pre-fall statements of God to be most foundational.

A question that you need to answer is: What do you believe is the function of the Tree of Life since you obviously do not see that it is to perpetuate man’s life?

That the Tree of Life perpetuates man's life is incidental, as breathing is. God could have created us so we could live without breathing, or without partaking of the Tree of Life, but we are spiritual beings, with intellect, and God wanted to teach us of our dependence upon Him for life. The fundamental truth is that the Tree of Life teaches us that God is the source of life, and our ability to live depends upon Him.

Quote:
Also in regards to the foundational statement in Gen 2:17b, it is most significant to me that God, as seen in the 3rd person singular suffix attached to a particle preposition and related to a Qal infinitive absolute verb collectively rightly rendered as: ‘[In the day that you (Adam) eat of it], out of the reason of Man naturally dying’ was abstractly/generally stating, even before man sinned that ‘(Created) Man was subject to naturally die.’

I wasn't able to find any translations saying this. Can you point me to one?

Quote:
So (now using a 2nd person singular suffix with a Qal imperfect again with the verb “to die”) to pointedly/specifically refer to Adam himself), when God added: “you (Adam) will consequently, naturally die.”

One last question. Were you saying that the Plan of Salvation was only formed after man fell? I understand that it wasn't put into effect until after the fall, but I'm asking if the Plan had been formulated.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131404
03/04/11 02:15 AM
03/04/11 02:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
Again this was to naturally continue to occur in ‘naturally dying man’ because access to the tree of life would immediately be barred thus making it impossible for Man to heal/restore his ‘naturally dying’ body.

You're saying here that man was created by God to naturally die, correct? And, to counter this natural death, God gave man access to the Tree of Life. I've understood you correctly?

Do you believe that animals and plants would have died had man not sin? I've been taking it for granted that you believed, as I do, that plants and animals only die because of man's sin, but I'm not sure that's a good assumption on my part.

MM, if you're reading this, I'm curious if you agree with NJK that man was created to naturally die.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131406
03/04/11 02:53 AM
03/04/11 02:53 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
MM, if you're reading this, I'm curious if you agree with NJK that man was created to naturally die.

Not sure. I believe unfallen A&E would have gradually died if they had neglected to regularly eat the fruit of the tree of life. I think the same thing will hold true for people living on the New Earth.

Why did animals and plants start dying? Why won't they die in the new earth?

After A&E sinned, God cursed the earth. Plants and animals cannot live eternally under such circumstances.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #131407
03/04/11 03:04 AM
03/04/11 03:04 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Oh, MM, btw, Welcome Back!

Thank you. I enjoy my work, but I miss my wife terribly when I'm away on assignment.

M: Please present your case in a way that explains 1) why Jesus commanded godly people to kill ungodly people in battle, 2) why Jesus commanded godly people to execute capital punishment, and 3) why Jesus withdraws His protection and permits the forces of nature, evil men, and/or evil angels to kill men, women, and children.

T: Given how God treats His enemies, why would God request someone else to act in a way so out of harmony with His own character?

Indeed, why? For example, why did He command Moses to utterly kill every man, woman, and child? And, what of the other two named above?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131408
03/04/11 03:27 AM
03/04/11 03:27 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Just a note Tom. I’ll answer the questions that you have posted thus far, however succinctly since I have already answered many of these questions. So I recommend that you first read through all of my previous comments before asking questions. I, personally, am not in any rush.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131409
03/04/11 04:51 AM
03/04/11 04:51 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Okay Tom, here are my response, though succinct for the reasons stated above:

do you consider the words of Jesus Christ to be words spoken by God?

Yes. Though I believe that this was through normative prophetic means, allowing Jesus to put it in his own thoughts. As I said, I believe all that He said were directly drawn form what EGW referred to as “I was shown” type of revelations. (Cf. Luke 10:18; John 5:19, 20ff; 8:28; 14:24).

Why do you think God was "most reluctant"?

Read EW 149-153. In that SOP account, EGW relates that Jesus, who was actually volunteering Himself for this task, had to present Himself 3 times for this and was ‘“pleading” with the Father’. It is also related that there was also “perplexity” and “trouble/doubt” involved in this decision-making.

I'll try to state your position:

1.God's plan was for man to live forever, and made this possible by means of the Tree of Life.
2.When man sinned, God cut off his access to the Tree of Life.
3.The Plan of Salvation restores man to such a place that he can again have access to the Tree of Life, and so live eternally.

Yes to all three points

So when the Bible says that we receive eternal life by faith in Christ, this is only indirectly. We receive eternal life because we will, after the resurrection, by virtue of Christ's work in the Plan of Salvation, have access to the Tree of Life.

Yes. That will be tangible effectuation of this Spiritual statement.

That the Tree of Life perpetuates man's life is incidental, as breathing is. God could have created us so we could live without breathing, or without partaking of the Tree of Life, but we are spiritual beings, with intellect, and God wanted to teach us of our dependence upon Him for life. The fundamental truth is that the Tree of Life teaches us that God is the source of life, and our ability to live depends upon Him.

I can see, based on your expressed view of things here how you consider this as “incidental”, however in my view I can only see it as “essential/necessary”. Furthermore, your points make more prominent this depletion of the Reality that is involved in God and His Vast Creation. Having a Spiritualizing paradigm here leaves such “realities” out. As an example with created man, I rather see that God’s creation of man was absolutely perfect. (cf. Gen 1:31). In other words all that God created, is created to the best that it could ever be. That is because God is dealing with real elements in nature and the universe and from these elements, he has fashioned the life we know as it best could. We cannot have a Science fiction view where we could e.g., spit fire with our breath or even ‘live without breathing’. That is not realistic.

It is easy to look at the degenerated state of man and creation today an see all the imperfection and say that God could have done things better. However that was not the case in the beginning. Adam was functioning at an optimum level. He was ca. 15 feet tall, some thus estimate ca. 2000 lbs; had perfect fitness and strength (i.e., full range of muscular strength); we use ca. 10% of our mind; he used 100% on top of having abilities such as photographic memory. Just looking at some “geniuses” today and people with special capabilities, such as remembering every event from any day of one’s past life, shows us just how powerful unfallen Man was. Adam was a walking supercomputer. He probably did not need a digital camera or video camera to recall things, nor a spreadsheet or word processor to process data and prepare speeches. He could easily do this as any technology today. Sharing this with others is another thing, however the (ESP-type) ability to send information waves to someone else as with a cell phone may be something that unfallen man could do. All this to say that God created us perfectly given what is actually available as “building materials”. Even the dust from which he formed man was the best material possible.

This reality also extends to Heavenly creature (i.e., not other “humans” in other world). Why are angels given wings to fly. Why not just fly without such assitance or even thought teleport themselves. Angels also need to be made to fly even more swiftly than normal in certain circumstances. The SOP speaking of Angels excelling in strength. Why are all angels so “strong”. Etc.

Foundational in my journey in personal and original (when substantively needed) Biblical Research, I saw that I had to start taking God literally at His word, giving Him a benefit of the doubt and instead prayerfully trying to find out “why” He did or said something as He did. And I certainly have not regretted this, because in many ways, we have lost many key truths in the Bible through Spiritualizing, just like the Allegorical paradigms of early Church Father did damage the Church and Truth.

So, based on this background info for my view on this and other such topics, I see that we are rather physical beings. We only become “spiritual” as we, on one hand, come into communion and communication with God. That is indeed really the understanding of being spiritual. Some people looked at the Cross and saw a false prophet paying a just price. Others, even pagans, saw that “this was surely the Son of God”. Spirituality is the result of how we chose to perceive reality and in this GC when we make a move of faith towards God, then he begins to spiritually/mentally “connect” with us, making us spiritual people. Increasingly this will more overtly also become the effort of the Devil. He is only staying in the shadows for now because if he manifested himself as he really is, he would just prove that the Bible is right. So now he prefers to let man follow their own course, which he at times subtly influences, since this self-worshipping spirit also serves his purpose. Indeed making created beings be “gods” was always his goal.

I wasn't able to find any translations saying this. Can you point me to one?

Given the popularity, though syntactical fallacious, of translators to turn such back to back related verbal forms into sorts of hendiadys, stemming from 1600's KJV understandings and for the most part just blindly followed, I do not think I’ll find one. However, as you should know/be functional in Hebrew, that should not be hard to understand. “The proof is in the pudding;” particularly the overall/contextual Theological issue which do indeed greatly affects the way translators render certain expressions.

One last question. Were you saying that the Plan of Salvation was only formed after man fell? I understand that it wasn't put into effect until after the fall, but I'm asking if the Plan had been formulated.

Based on the sequence of events and the emotions related in EW 149-153, that is what I understand. It is not the “popular” truth given the overarching popular belief that ‘God knows (all of) the future from the ceaseless ages of eternity,’ however this is an example of how EGW was “shown” something which she herself did not fully grasp, even at all, for the most part, but nonetheless from which the Biblical Theological Truth on “God and the Future” is properly understood. I personally believe that EGW started to understand this very late in her ministry, when she, around 1908, began to realize that God, because of the failure of that privileged SDA generation, was going to prolong time and thus cause all of her prophecies to be put on hold for a much later time than what she had truthfully and possibly been showed.

You're saying here that man was created by God to naturally die, correct? And, to counter this natural death, God gave man access to the Tree of Life. I've understood you correctly?

Based on the statement in Gen 2:17b, Yes. And I add, from the above statements, that this was the best that God could do in created human beings living in our universe elements and atmosphere which God further had to arrange to support optimal life. God also chose Earth for this initial creation because, if man sinned, that was probably the best planetary location in this Milky Way galaxy where a degeneration of nature would take the longest before it severely made living impossible.

Do you believe that animals and plants would have died had man not sin?

I have also addressed this. See also in the above post of my comments in a PM. I believe form PP 62.3 that animals and nature could partake of the fruit “aromatically”. As I also said, I think the tangible eating by man was the object-lesson as well as the matching counterpart for eating the forbidden fruit. So they had no excusing temptation to “taste” here.

I've been taking it for granted that you believed, as I do, that plants and animals only die because of man's sin, but I'm not sure that's a good assumption on my part.

As I also state priorly, this affectation of living non-humans, including nature was apparently because of a withdrawal and limited-to-Eden, “Fruit of Life” aroma made available in the air. That is why Adam and Eve and other animals had to be expelled from the Garden that was evidently still being preserved through this ‘aromatic means.’ Such inert things as the “ground” had to be distinctly cursed.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131412
03/04/11 11:42 AM
03/04/11 11:42 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec

Here are some SOP statements that I found which are helpful to this Tree of Life issue in this discussion:

Originally Posted By: SOP 3SG 88.1
By transgressing God's commandments a curse fell upon Adam and Eve, and they were deprived of all right to the tree of life. Christ died to save man, and yet preserve the honor of God's law. He says "Blessed are they that do his commandments that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the City." The Son of God here presents the doing of the commandments of God as the condition of a right to the tree of life. The transgression of God's commandments deprived man of all right to the tree of life. Christ died, that by virtue of his blood, obedience to God's law might make man worthy of the heavenly benediction, and grant him a right again to the tree of life. {3SG 88.1}

Originally Posted By: SOP ML 355.4
The redeemed saints, who have loved God and kept His commandments here, will enter in through the gates of the city, and have right to the tree of life. They will eat freely of it as our first parents did before their fall. The leaves of that immortal widespread tree will be for the healing of the nations. All their woes will then be gone. Sickness, sorrow, and death they will never again feel, for the leaves of the tree of life have healed them. Jesus will then see of the travail of His soul and be satisfied, when the redeemed, who have been subject to sorrow, toil, and afflictions, who have groaned beneath the curse, are gathered up around that tree of life to eat of its immortal fruit, that our first parents forfeited all right to, by breaking God's commands. There will be no danger of their ever losing right to the tree of life again, for he that tempted our first parents to sin will be destroyed by the second death. {ML 355.4}

Originally Posted By: SOP 1SP 44.2
Angels were commissioned to immediately guard the way of the tree of life. It was Satan's studied plan that Adam and Eve should disobey God, receive his frown, and then partake of the tree of life, that they might perpetuate a life of sin. But holy angels were sent to debar their way to the tree of life. Around these angels flashed beams of light on every side, which had the appearance of glittering swords. {1SP 44.2}

Originally Posted By: SOP ExV 32.4
Then I was pointed to Adam and Eve in Eden. They partook of the forbidden tree, and then the flaming sword was placed around the tree of life, and they were driven from the Garden, lest they should partake of the tree of life, and be immortal sinners. The tree of life was to perpetuate immortality. I heard an angel ask, “Who of the family of Adam have passed that flaming sword, and have partaken of the tree of life?” I heard another angel answer, “Not one of the family of Adam have passed that flaming sword, and partaken of that tree; therefore there is not an immortal sinner. The soul that sinneth it shall die an everlasting death; a death that will last for ever, where there will be no hope of a resurrection; and then the wrath of God will be appeased. {ExV 32.4}

Originally Posted By: SOP TM 133.3
Adam and Eve and their posterity lost their right to the tree of life because of their disobedience. "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of Us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever: therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the Garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken." Adam and Eve transgressed the law of God. This made it necessary for them to be driven from Eden and be separated from the tree of life, to eat of which after their transgression would perpetuate sin. "So He drove out the man; and He placed at the east of the Garden of Eden cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." Man was dependent upon the tree of life for immortality, and the Lord took these precautions lest men should eat of that tree "and live forever"--become immortal sinners. {TM 133.3}
Death entered the world because of transgression. But Christ gave His life that man should have another trial.

Originally Posted By: SOP EW 289.1
I then saw Jesus leading His people to the tree of life, and again we heard His lovely voice, richer than any music that ever fell on mortal ear, saying, "The leaves of this tree are for the healing of the nations. Eat ye all of it." Upon the tree of life was most beautiful fruit, of which the saints could partake freely. In the city was a most glorious throne, from which proceeded a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal. On each side of this river was the tree of life, and on the banks of the river were other beautiful trees bearing fruit which was good for food. {EW 289.1}

Originally Posted By: SOP GC 532.3-534.1
In the midst of Eden grew the tree of life, whose fruit had the power of perpetuating life. Had Adam remained obedient to God, he would have continued to enjoy free access to this tree and would have lived forever. But when he sinned he was cut off from partaking of the tree of life, and he became subject to death. The divine sentence, "Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return," points to the utter extinction of life. {GC 532.3}
Immortality, promised to man on condition of obedience, had been forfeited by transgression. Adam could not transmit to his posterity that which he did not possess; and there could have been no hope for the fallen race had not God, by the sacrifice of His Son, brought immortality within their reach. While "death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned," Christ "hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel." Romans 5:12; 2 Timothy 1:10. And only through Christ can immortality be obtained. Said Jesus: "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." John 3:36. Every man may come into possession of this priceless blessing if he will comply with the conditions. All "who by patient continuance in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality," will receive "eternal life." Romans 2:7. {GC 533.1}
The only one who promised Adam life in disobedience was the great deceiver. And the declaration of the serpent to Eve in Eden--"Ye shall not surely die"--was the first sermon ever preached upon the immortality of the soul. Yet this declaration, resting solely upon the authority of Satan, is echoed from the pulpits of Christendom and is received by the majority of mankind as readily as it was received by our first parents. The divine sentence, "The soul that sinneth, it shall die" (Ezekiel 18:20), is made to mean: The soul that sinneth, it shall not die, but live eternally. We cannot but wonder at the strange infatuation which renders men so credulous concerning the words of Satan and so unbelieving in regard to the words of God. {GC 533.2}
Had man after his fall been allowed free access to the tree of life, he would have lived forever, and thus sin would have been immortalized. But cherubim and a flaming sword kept "the way of the tree of life" (Genesis 3:24), and not one of the family of Adam has been permitted to pass that barrier and partake of the life-giving fruit. Therefore there is not an immortal sinner. {GC 533.3} But after the Fall, Satan bade his angels make a special effort to inculcate the belief in man's natural immortality; and having induced the people to receive this error, they were to lead them on to conclude that the sinner would live in eternal misery. Now the prince of darkness, working through his agents, represents God as a revengeful tyrant, declaring that He plunges into hell all those who do not please Him, and causes them ever to feel His wrath; and that while they suffer unutterable anguish and writhe in the eternal flames, their Creator looks down upon them with satisfaction. {GC 534.1}

The following SOP quotes may seem to validate your view however these are only “pastoral”/practical applications by EGW and not a ‘Theological redifining of the realities involved in the Tree of Life seen in her above statements.

Originally Posted By: SOP 7BC 957.7
Must we wait until we are translated before we eat of the leaves of the tree of life? He who receives into his heart the words of Christ knows what it means to eat the leaves of the tree of life. [John 6:33-63 quoted.] {7BC 957.7}

Originally Posted By: SOP GCDB, March 6, 1899 par. 5-6
The garden of Eden was not only Adam's dwelling, but his school-room. As in that school, so in the school of earth today, two trees are planted,--the tree of life, which bears the fruit of the true education: the tree of knowledge yielding the fruit of "science falsely so called." All who have a connection with Christ have access to the tree of life, a source of knowledge of which the world is ignorant. After sin entered this world, the heavenly Husbandman transplanted the tree of life to the paradise above; but its branches hang over the wall to the lower world. Through the redemption purchased by the blood of the Son of God, man may now partake of its life-giving fruit. The tree of knowledge has its roots in the earth--it is of the earth, earthy. All who have tasted of the heavenly fruit, the Bread of Life, are to be co-workers with God, pointing others from the tree of knowledge to the tree of life, that they also may partake of its fruits. {GCDB, March 6, 1899 par. 5}
Jesus Christ is to the world as the tree of life to which Adam and Eve had access in the garden of Eden. When, by disobedience, the fallen pair were deprived of the fruit of this tree, thy lost everlasting life. The tree of knowledge became a curse to them, not because of its poisonous qualities, but because of their act of disobedience. It was attractive to them; and in their great desire for it, they partook of it, and lost their purity and their allegiance to God. But Christ presents himself as the Life-giver, the tree of life for the world. By feeding upon his flesh, and drinking his blood, our spiritual life is perfected. {GCDB, March 6, 1899 par. 6}

Originally Posted By: SOP RH Jan. 26, 1897 | 7BC 988.9
The tree of life is a representation of the preserving care of Christ for His children. As Adam and Eve ate of this tree, they acknowledged their dependence upon God. The tree of life possessed the power to perpetuate life, and as long as they ate of it, they could not die. The lives of the antediluvians were protracted because of the life-giving power of this tree, which was transmitted to them from Adam and Eve (RH Jan. 26, 1897). {7BC 988.9}

Originally Posted By: SOP ST March 31, 1909 | 7BC 989.3
After the entrance of sin, the heavenly Husbandman transplanted the tree of life to the Paradise above; but its branches hang over the wall to the lower world. Through the redemption purchased by the blood of Christ, we may still eat of its life-giving fruit. {7BC 989.1}
Of Christ it is written, "In him was life; and the life was the light of men." He is the fountain of life. Obedience to Him is the life-giving power that gladdens the soul. {7BC 989.2}
Christ declares: "I am the bread of life; he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst" [John 6:57, 63; Revelation 2:7, last part, quoted] (ST March 31, 1909). {7BC 989.3}

Originally Posted By: SOP RH Jan. 26, 1897 | 7BC 989.8
Christ is the source of our life, the source of immortality. He is the tree of life, and to all who come to Him He gives spiritual life (RH Jan. 26, 1897). {7BC 989.8}

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131417
03/04/11 04:29 PM
03/04/11 04:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
T:MM, if you're reading this, I'm curious if you agree with NJK that man was created to naturally die.

M:Not sure. I believe unfallen A&E would have gradually died if they had neglected to regularly eat the fruit of the tree of life. I think the same thing will hold true for people living on the New Earth.

If a person refused to breath, he would gradually die as well (although the "gradual" death would be a lot quicker). We couldn't conclude from this that God created man to naturally die, right?

I haven't heard the idea that God created man to naturally die before. This concept doesn't make sense to me, as death, to my way of thinking, is dependent upon sin.

Quote:
T:Why did animals and plants start dying? Why won't they die in the new earth?

MM:After A&E sinned, God cursed the earth. Plants and animals cannot live eternally under such circumstances.

So in your view God did something to make the earth and the things in it "bad" (or "defective"). That is, God actually made the earth "bad" (or "defective" or "cursed") as opposed to pronouncing it as such, in view of the damage that Satan/sin had caused. If God, under your view, had simply left things as they were, earth would have been in a much better condition. But, as punishment for what man had done, God hurt every living thing.

Quote:
Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system. Satan planted these seeds when he tempted Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge which meant disobedience to God. Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?" The master answered, "An enemy hath done this" (Matt. 13:27, 28). All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. {2SM 288.2}

Then shall physicians continue to resort to drugs, which leave a deadly evil in the system, destroying that life which

Christ came to restore? Christ's remedies cleanse the system. But Satan has tempted man to introduce into the system that which weakens the human machinery, clogging and destroying the fine, beautiful arrangements of God. The drugs administered to the sick do not restore, but destroy. Drugs never cure. Instead, they place in the system seeds which bear a very bitter harvest. . . . {2SM 288.3}

The first paragraph is especially to the point, but I included the one following as well, as it seems to accent the idea that God created human beings to live, not to naturally die.

Anyway, I believe that the first paragraph articulates the operative principle. It's not that God did bad things to the earth, or to plants and animals, to make them defective, or work less well than He originally designed them to, but that, because of sin, Satan was given greater access to this world, and *everything* we see in nature which is less than perfect is a result of *Satan's* work, not God's.

This seems so clear and easy and logical to me that I don't see how or why one would think otherwise. That is:

1.God ==> good
2.Satan ==> bad

It comes down to that. It's not:

1.Man ==> bad; therefore God responds with bad in kind.

Rather, man is bad, but God continues to be good, overcoming evil with good.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131419
03/04/11 04:42 PM
03/04/11 04:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: Given how God treats His enemies, why would God request someone else to act in a way so out of harmony with His own character?

M:Indeed, why? For example, why did He command Moses to utterly kill every man, woman, and child? And, what of the other two named above?

Perhaps God didn't do what you think He did. This has been the whole point.

Consider when the disciples asked Christ if they should command fire to come down from heaven to destroy them like Elijah did. Christ sighed, explaining they didn't know what spirit they were of, that He had come not to destroy but to save.

Christ, by nature, is not a destroyer, but a Savior, and the same is true of God (He is described as such in Isaiah, for example). Satan is the destroyer, not God, or Christ. Christ was explaining this to the disciples, whom, because they didn't know God (i.e., know what He was really like), were thinking He (or Christ, who was God in the flesh) would be pleased by having His enemies destroyed by fire. But Christ was not pleased, because that's not the sort of thing that would please Him. The SOP comments on this by saying that the disposition to harm those who act against us is demonstrative of the spirit of Satan.

The point of this is that the disciples did not understand things because they didn't know God. This led them to misinterpret what God's will was viz a viz what happened in Elijah's time. If they had known God like Christ did, they wouldn't have made that mistake.

Page 21 of 105 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!