HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131903
03/17/11 01:59 PM
03/17/11 01:59 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Job 38:7.
Actually, I was referring to the first couple of chapters.

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: kland] #131912
03/17/11 05:27 PM
03/17/11 05:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: I wouldn't be surprised to discover after we arrive in heaven with Jesus that the 24 elders consist of Enoch, Moses, Elijah, and 21 others who were raised with Jesus.

K: Who do you see as the Sons of God in Job?

M: I agree with Ellen concerning who the "sons of God" in Job are. She wrote:

Quote:
Before the creation of man, angels were in existence; for when the foundations of the earth were laid, "the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy." Job 38:7. After the fall of man, angels were sent to guard the tree of life, and this before a human being had died. Angels are in nature superior to men, for the psalmist says that man was made "a little lower than the angels." Psalm 8:5. {GC 511.2}

The Sabbath was hallowed at the creation. As ordained for man, it had its origin when "the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy." Job 38:7. Peace brooded over the world; for earth was in harmony with heaven. "God saw everything that He had made, and, behold, it was very good;" and He rested in the joy of His completed work. Genesis 1:31. {DA 281.1}

M: The "sons of God" in Job = holy angels. Do you agree?

K: Actually, I was referring to the first couple of chapters.

"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them." [Job 1:6} I suspect the "sons of God" named here are the same as the ones named in chapter 38. What do you think? Do you think there is a connection to the 24 elders named in the Revelation?

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: NJK Project] #131913
03/17/11 05:44 PM
03/17/11 05:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
The "sons of God" in Job = holy angels. Do you agree?

Quite succinctly summarized here, the expression “son(s)(/daughter(s)) of God in the Bible involves more than angels, but any created being that comes to life their lives according to the will of God “their Father”. Many Biblical examples show this (e.g., Matt 5:9; Luke 20:36; Rom 8:14,19; Gal 3:26) It thus also could, and does, include, thus righteous, men and women on earth. So it is not limited to angels, but to any created being.

Good point. I agree. However, do you agree that the three places in Job where the title "sons of God" appears refers exclusively to holy angels?

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: NJK Project] #131914
03/17/11 05:51 PM
03/17/11 05:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man - Post #131422
You wrote, "such actual 'contradictions' are rare". Please cite examples of her actually contradicting the Bible.

I just noticed this question of yours Mountain Man.
-These contradictions are indeed rare and my example of the chronological location of Ascension vision is one of them.
-I can also cite the ones mentioned by Alden Thompson in the book Inspiration p. 290-295, which she however, later corrected herself.
-Her implied understanding that, e.g., oysters were not unclean food until post 1896 is another applicable example.
-Most of what could be cited as contradictions, are actually merely incomplete understandings.

Yes, she grew in her understanding of truth and changed her mind when she discovered she was in error. However, the question is - Did she ever write "I saw", or "I was shown", or "Said the angel", etc, followed by insights and information that was incorrect or contradicted the Bible? In other words, while under inspiration did she ever convey an untruth?

PS - I hate to say it, but I'm not convinced she botched her description of events related to Jesus' Ascension on Sunday and again 40 days later.

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131920
03/17/11 07:21 PM
03/17/11 07:21 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Good point. I agree. However, do you agree that the three places in Job where the title "sons of God" appears refers exclusively to holy angels?

Actually no, since the term is inclusive of any created being faithful to God. I therefore see it as a reference to representative created humans (i.e., in the same form as us. Vs angels) from other unfallen worlds. I also do not see why “angels” already living with God in would need to ‘come and “present” themselves before God.’ That rather seems applicable to beings/humans living outside of God’s Heavenly Realm, per se.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131921
03/17/11 07:27 PM
03/17/11 07:27 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Yes, she grew in her understanding of truth and changed her mind when she discovered she was in error. However, the question is - Did she ever write "I saw", or "I was shown", or "Said the angel", etc, followed by insights and information that was incorrect or contradicted the Bible? In other words, while under inspiration did she ever convey an untruth?

I would surfacely (i.e., without having analysed each of these revelations) agree that this was indeed the case with such “directly revealed” statements, however, as seen with a woman she “saw” would be part of the 144,000 (which did not transpire as such), even those revelation were
also conditional, as is Bible prophecy.

Originally Posted By: SOP
I saw that she [Mrs. Hastings] was sealed and would come up at the voice of God and stand upon the earth, and would be with the 144,000. I saw we need not mourn for her; she would rest in the time of trouble.--2SM 263 (1850). {LDE 222.4}

[“Time of Trouble” occurs after the sealing and work of the 144,000]

So the issue of “God and the Future” (i.e., as I Biblically understand it: “the future is not known, thus not set in stone) also applied here.

PS - I hate to say it, but I'm not convinced she botched her description of events related to Jesus' Ascension on Sunday and again 40 days later.

How about, so that your stance can be objectively/transparently verified, giving the substantive proof of your belief here in the light of my previously listed (substantive) objections i.e., approval of sacrifice, wavesheaf timely typology, resurrected saints on earth for 40 days??, and the others.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131924
03/17/11 07:58 PM
03/17/11 07:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Whenever she prefaced something with "I was shown", or "I saw", or something to this effect, we can be absolutely certain it represents the word of God. Otherwise, she did not possess the gift of the spirit of prophecy.

Please post a quote where she said "I was shown" or "I saw", etc, as it relates to this idea you have here.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: NJK Project] #131941
03/18/11 01:40 PM
03/18/11 01:40 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
...however, as seen with a woman she “saw” would be part of the 144,000 (which did not transpire as such), even those revelation were
also conditional, as is Bible prophecy.

Originally Posted By: SOP
I saw that she [Mrs. Hastings] was sealed and would come up at the voice of God and stand upon the earth, and would be with the 144,000. I saw we need not mourn for her; she would rest in the time of trouble.--2SM 263 (1850). {LDE 222.4}

[“Time of Trouble” occurs after the sealing and work of the 144,000]

Evidently I read this SOP statement incorrectly. Mrs Hasting’s was shown to be standing with the 144,000 apparently at the final resurrection and not prior to that to participate in the work that these will do.

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131946
03/18/11 04:37 PM
03/18/11 04:37 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them." [Job 1:6} I suspect the "sons of God" named here are the same as the ones named in chapter 38. What do you think? Do you think there is a connection to the 24 elders named in the Revelation?
Although I see no requirement that they be the same, I also see no requirement that in Job 38 it means angels. Specifically, it says "and" the sons of God which could be a redundant thought or it could be separate ones.

As NJK stated, they are coming to present themselves. The question must be asked why, and why only 24 of many angels, what was this meeting for, why did satan think that was an appropriate time to come. It would be my thought that they are somehow held accountable for those under them. Which could be angels if they have such a hierarchy but could also be those who are leaders over the worlds. One way you could read it is that God sees satan and says, who invited you here. He responds that he was the leader of the earth and therefore has a right to their meeting. Which God then asks about Job who does not follow satan's leading. Which satan then admits he does not have full control over the earth, but that God is unduly protecting Job.

The 24 elders of revelation appear to have some honor or responsibility different from others. No reason to not consider they could be connected with those of Job.

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131947
03/18/11 06:00 PM
03/18/11 06:00 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Please post a quote where she said "I was shown" or "I saw", etc, as it relates to the Shut Door.

Please post a quote where she said "I was shown" or "I saw", etc, as it relates to who wrote the book of Hebrews.

Sorry, MM, I did not realize that you were unfamiliar with EGW. From other posts by you I assumed that you were well read in this area. My bad.

These controversies (and others) regarding EGW are well known to any Adventist that does any amount of studying and/or thinking. I would prefer if you did not use amaturish delaying/redirecting tactics, but rather address the issue with your own ideas and opinions.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!