HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 43 of 105 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132117
03/25/11 09:30 PM
03/25/11 09:30 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: NJK Project - Correction
I have followed that other discussion, and I say here that it really does not matter how God actually brings about this wrath.

Originally Posted By: Tom
I think it matters a great deal. The whole battle of the Great Controversy is over God's character. The enemy presents God as being a certain way, and the question is really if that's the way God is.

I think the foundational accusation of Satan is that God is arbitrary in both the Laws that He enacts and thus inherently, in the judgements to uphold this Law.

Quote:

N: The fact remains that, as He can prevent it, He therefore is fully responsible for its occurrence.

T: I believe this is the argument of the enemy. I believe our job as Christians is to argue the reverse, that Satan/sin is responsible for all the evil in the world, and not God. I believe the judgment will reveal that God has been completely innocent, and that the responsibility for all "bad" things ("bad" being anything less than God's ideal) is entirely because sentient beings have chosen to act differently than how God would have them act (or, equivalently, differently than how Jesus acted).

I disagree with the first part of your reply here, but it is indeed saved by the latter part. Indeed the issue here is for us to make it clear why this evil is happening in our world and thus, in response to the first part of your reply, why a Good, Loving and All Mighty God is allowing for this to happen; even permitting Satan to live. Hence the Remnant Church’s GC revelation and understanding and the inclusive mandate to share this foundational and enlightening Truth to the world, thus making crystal clear to all ‘the loving character of God’.

One could extend this to say that a person cannot die of cancer unless God allows them to. The person may smoke 7 packs of cigarettes a day, and then contract lung cancer. Is God responsible because He permitted this to happen?

In a ultimate sense yes since cancer could have been prevented and cured by the Fruit of Life. However if one has “chosen” by such directly causing unhealthy acts such as smoking to expose themselves to getting cancer, then God may still also have allowed this by having banned the preventive healing found in Fruit of Life. It was indeed such sinful acts that resulted in the banning of access to that healing tree.

It could be something happened differently than what is commonly thought, and God acted according to the same principles as the destruction of Jerusalem. Is violence a part of God's government?

-“Violence” as in the act of energetic, even supernatural force: copiously, manifestly “Yes”. Many capital deaths in the Bible involved this type of “violence”

- “Violence” as in e.g., a thug stabbing an innocent person to death because they refuse to give them their money, i.e., an act that is for something that violates God’s own Law/Character in any way: definitely “No”.

So in these cases, God’s capital punishment are clearly not acts of murder and thus not ‘maliciously/illegally/sinfully violent’.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132118
03/25/11 09:57 PM
03/25/11 09:57 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
What's the mechanism that causes death? If death is organic to sin, then the fires of hell happen when God permits people to experience the result of their choice, as DA 764 explains. If the mechanism in the OT is the same, then there's no difference.

God's wrath is His permitting the sinner to experience the result of his choice, as DA 764 outlines (for the judgment), and GC 35-37 (for retribution in this life). From Scripture, Romans 1 and the Deut. passage, respectively (for judgment and this life) apply as well.

(We, of course, as discussed before, do not have the same understanding on what is the arbitrary act in DA 764 would be in relation to: I see it’s the full development of Satan’s plan; you see that it is straightly the presence of sin itself).

In the Bible, I read that (potentially billions of) sinners in the end will (many at least) (1) be forcefully cast alive by God into the Lake of Fire (Rev 19:20). The rest will at least be also directly struck dead by Christ (vs. 21). That is however only the “Here and Now” judgement for them, not to mention the “bird’s feast” (Rev 19:17, 18). (2) Following the Millenium (Rev 20:1-10) the wicked dead are all raised, adjudged and once again thrown into the lake of Fire, for now their “Second Death” (Rev 20:11-15), where they will be supernaturally enabled to live for some time in those supposed to be instantaneously destructive fires to suffer their due punishment, as depicted in Luke 12:45-48.

So both of these acts are “violent” i.e., forceful and supernatural acts of God in satisfying His wrath. Those prophetic facts must also be taken into consideration with the statements that the brightness of the glory of God itself strikes the wicked dead and consumes them. Could it be that God will actually only do this for certain sinners who were less guilty than others?? Maybe “no” as shown in the involved descriptions of Revelation.

It must be added here that this view actually does not contradict 2 Thess 2:8 which literally says’

Originally Posted By: 2 Thess 2:8 NASB
Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by [or, better “at”] the appearance[/“manifestation” - and not actually “brightness” as KJV/NKJV] of His coming;

So it may be here that God will opt to not allow His Glory to destroy the wicked, though it could, so that they can survive to duly feel His wrath upon them and their sinfulness.

(In my current eschatological understanding of end time prophecies, I see how this all is perfectly feasible as stated as these depiction in Revelation are symbolic prior to Christ’s Second Advent and literal, afterwards.)

Last edited by NJK Project; 03/25/11 10:26 PM. Reason: 2 Thess 2:8 exegesis

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132119
03/25/11 10:16 PM
03/25/11 10:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:What does "violent" mean? Here's a definition:
Quote: Effected by force or injury rather than natural causes.
Does that sound acceptable?

NJK:With that particular, applicable definition, i.e., using force vs. ‘malicious intent’ -it is indeed more acceptable.

No one questions (i.e., no Christians) that God doesn't have malicious intent.

Quote:
NJK:I see that God is always acting to defend His interests, whether it is to protect His people when righteous and/or preserve the invested Redemptive plans for this planet.

To me that concept that God *ever* acts to defend His interests is contrary to agape. Agape is by its nature other-centered. God always acts in the best interest of others, regardless of the cost to Himself. This was exemplified by Christ on the cross.

Satan argued, in Eden, that God had His own interests in mind in prohibiting Adam and Eve from eating of the TOTKOGAE. He said they would be as goods, the implication being that God didn't want this to happen, as that would be bad for God (and good for Adam and Eve). The temptation was predicated on the idea that God looks after His own interests, to the detriment of the interests of His creatures. The reality is that God looks after the interests of others, even His enemies, to the detriment of His own.

Quote:
The “use of force” by God may all be for this needed external, deterring object lesson. Also using an alternative means would be similar to using the electric chair or lethal injection for Capital punishment. As God could also have used “life in prison” vs. these death inflicting means, it further indicates to me that death was the necessary and/or best deterring option, for the greater good of the GC, indeed perhaps serving to save the eternal life of millions of other people.

The problem here is that if the problem is sin, and that's what needs to be demonstrated, then anything artificial that God does to cause pain/injury/death is not demonstrating that sin is the problem, but the opposite. Only by it being seen that sin is the problem can it be seen that sin is the problem. This is what the chapter "It Is Finished" (from which we have discussed the last page) is discussing throughout. It wasn't until the cross that this principle was clearly seen by the (loyal) angels (and unfallen worlds). This is when the Great Controversy was won, as far as they are concerned.

The ones I cited were dealing with the destruction of Jerusalem. The killing, and burning of cities, and sending of armies were violent acts, and actually did happen. God was portrayed as doing these things, but what really happened is He permitted them to happen.

Quote:
As an example of God’s ultimate judgement, even on His former people, the destruction of Jerusalem was symbolic of the final execution of Judgement, at least, of the final religiously-based conflict that will punctuate this GC....

Indeed. And we see what the principle involved in the destruction of Jerusalem was. The wrath of God was inflicted by means of His permitting those who rejected Him to experience the result of their choice. This is the same principle at work in the judgment, as described in DA 764. We even see the same language used and the same Scriptures quoted ("Thou hast destroyed thyself.")

Quote:
To also be exegetically accurate, in reality, God did not physically dispossess national Israel to given these riches to the NT Church.

Right. The use of force is contrary to the principles of His government. Compelling power is found only under the government of the enemy.

Quote:
Also, while the destruction punishment was indeed manifest in reality, it, to the issue of this discussion, was a “wrathful” pronouncement of Jesus Himself, which He surely may have been quite instrumental in allowing when the time came.

He had no choice, given the constraints of free will.

Quote:
T:In the case cited, in its actual reality, it was violent.

NJK:It could also be argued, as you apparently already understand, that God’s acted non-violently by simply not permitting His “wisening” Spirit to influence (in this case of rebellion, “compel”) these Jews to do the right things.

It's not possible to compel people to do right things, unless one has a very superficial idea as to what doing right things means.

Quote:
So, as it degeneratively developed as told by Josephus, they, around 66 A.D., in nationalistic ambitions, decided to no longer pay Rome its taxes, which casued Rome to send a military detachment to, at least, visually compel payment. When the Jews further refused, Rome moved in to physically collect these overdue taxes, and then the Jews saw it ‘wise in their own eyes’ to take refuge in the Temple (evidently counting on God’s protection there), when it did not occur as expected, they literally went nuts and the utter physical destruction of the city and great amount of death “naturally” resulted from now more direct confrontations with the Romans, and also by the Roman soldiers also correspondingly “losing it” in the face of this madness, where even the Generals such as Titus could not bring things back under control before it was way too late.

So here God did not actually do anything “violent” here at all.

Agreed. My point is that this episode illustrates how God always acts; it's not a special case.

Quote:
Indeed if they had just heeded Christ counsel to ‘pay Caesar what belongs to him’, this whole catastrophe would probably have been averted.

A good insight.

Quote:
A) It seems that doing, an even cursory, word study on the word “fear” in relation to God in the Bible (OT # & NT #5399) will corroborate exactly what “healthy fear” I am referring to. (E.g, NT Matt 10:28; Heb 4:1; Rev 11:18; 14:7; 19:5, etc)

The following comes to mind:

Quote:
A sullen submission to the will of the Father will develop the character of a rebel. By such a one service is looked upon as drudgery. It is not rendered cheerfully, and in the love of God. It is a mere mechanical performance. If he dared, such a one would disobey. His rebellion is smothered, ready to break out at any time in bitter murmurings and complaints. Such service brings no peace or quietude to the soul. (MS 20, 1897)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132120
03/25/11 10:57 PM
03/25/11 10:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
T:I think it matters a great deal. The whole battle of the Great Controversy is over God's character. The enemy presents God as being a certain way, and the question is really if that's the way God is.

NJK:I think the foundational accusation of Satan is that God is arbitrary in both the Laws that He enacts and thus inherently, in the judgements to uphold this Law.

The first chapter of "The Desire of Ages" has influenced my thinking a lot in regards to the Great Controversy theme. Unfortunately, the Desire of Ages is not loading well right now, so I can't copy/paste what I had in mind, but basically it says that self-serving began with Lucifer, who desired to be first. In order to gain the homage of God's creatures, he misrepresented God's character.

Satan used the law as a ruse, a means to an end, but his beef was always with God. He hated Christ, and wanted to get back at him, and the most effective way he could think of so doing was to level the spurious claims against God that he did.

Quote:
T: I believe this is the argument of the enemy. I believe our job as Christians is to argue the reverse, that Satan/sin is responsible for all the evil in the world, and not God. I believe the judgment will reveal that God has been completely innocent, and that the responsibility for all "bad" things ("bad" being anything less than God's ideal) is entirely because sentient beings have chosen to act differently than how God would have them act (or, equivalently, differently than how Jesus acted).

NJK:I disagree with the first part of your reply here, but it is indeed saved by the latter part. Indeed the issue here is for us to make it clear why this evil is happening in our world and thus, in response to the first part of your reply, why a Good, Loving and All Mighty God is allowing for this to happen; even permitting Satan to live. Hence the Remnant Church’s GC revelation and understanding and the inclusive mandate to share this foundational and enlightening Truth to the world, thus making crystal clear to all ‘the loving character of God’.

You're disagreeing with the following?

Quote:
I believe our job as Christians is to argue the reverse, that Satan/sin is responsible for all the evil in the world, and not God.

Quote:
One could extend this to say that a person cannot die of cancer unless God allows them to. The person may smoke 7 packs of cigarettes a day, and then contract lung cancer. Is God responsible because He permitted this to happen?

In a ultimate sense yes since cancer could have been prevented and cured by the Fruit of Life. However if one has “chosen” by such directly causing unhealthy acts such as smoking to expose themselves to getting cancer, then God may still also have allowed this by having banned the preventive healing found in Fruit of Life. It was indeed such sinful acts that resulted in the banning of access to that healing tree.

I think you're over-complicating this. It has nothing to do with the tree of life. If you smoke, you may get cancer, because of the characteristics of cigarettes. This is an example of a free will choice leading to an undesirable consequence. If all had followed God's counsels, these things wouldn't happen. God is not responsible for these things happening, but they follow the law of cause and effect.

Quote:
T:It could be something happened differently than what is commonly thought, and God acted according to the same principles as the destruction of Jerusalem. Is violence a part of God's government?

NJK:-“Violence” as in the act of energetic, even supernatural force: copiously, manifestly “Yes”. Many capital deaths in the Bible involved this type of “violence”

- “Violence” as in e.g., a thug stabbing an innocent person to death because they refuse to give them their money, i.e., an act that is for something that violates God’s own Law/Character in any way: definitely “No”.

I was going to say this one isn't an issue, but the plagues of Egypt come to mind. Many have the idea of God's acting like a criminal wanting protection money, using more and more force until He gets His way. That would be similar to what you're suggesting here.

I don't believe God is violent, nor that violence is part of God's government, in either of the two ways you mentioned. I don't see any hint of this in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
So in these cases, God’s capital punishment are clearly not acts of murder and thus not ‘maliciously/illegally/sinfully violent’.

Is any kind of violence a part of God's government? If so, did this part of God's government exist from the beginning, and just wasn't revealed, like grace and mercy? So we could say that God was always violent, but this aspect of His character wasn't seen, until sin came about (similarly to mercy and grace).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132121
03/25/11 11:54 PM
03/25/11 11:54 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
No one questions (i.e., no Christians) that God doesn't have malicious intent.

Seems to me that even questioning God with “why” to a personal tragedy, even by Christians, which inherently implies, ‘is God acting unfairly towards me?’ inherently brings into issue of the question of whether or not God is acting “maliciously” i.e., “out of feeling a need to see others suffer” and/or ‘without just/due cause.’

To me that concept that God *ever* acts to defend His interests is contrary to agape. Agape is by its nature other-centered. God always acts in the best interest of others, regardless of the cost to Himself. This was exemplified by Christ on the cross.

Simply said, how is ordering the death of anyone, e.g., “a stubborn child” (Deut 21:18-21) in their own “best interest”?? God interest is to have a sinless universe. So His acts are ultimately towards that interest which in itself is for the best of all of His creatures. So even in allowing sinful men to live, that is to serve as a tangible GC demonstration, for those who will be redeemed, why His ways should be followed.

Satan argued, in Eden, that God had His own interests in mind in prohibiting Adam and Eve from eating of the TOTKOGAE. He said they would be as goods, the implication being that God didn't want this to happen, as that would be bad for God (and good for Adam and Eve). The temptation was predicated on the idea that God looks after His own interests, to the detriment of the interests of His creatures. The reality is that God looks after the interests of others, even His enemies, to the detriment of His own.

Well then... Satan lied. Indeed he perverted this protective stance of God here. A parent similarly protecting their child is not only acting with their best interest in mind, but also, ultimately so they will not have to be held responsible for the wrong acts that this child may commit by being exposed to such evils. However when that child becomes legally responsible and also, as long as they are no longer under the “parent’s roof”, then such prohibitions are usually no longer imposed or policed. So clearly, Satan lied in misrepresenting God’s actual intentions in doing this preventive act, for the good of Adam and Eve and the whole universe. Satan just wanted a foothold to be permitted to continue His rebellion or, if Adam and Eve had resisted, He probably would have been destroyed a long time ago.

The problem here is that if the problem is sin, and that's what needs to be demonstrated, then anything artificial that God does to cause pain/injury/death is not demonstrating that sin is the problem, but the opposite. Only by it being seen that sin is the problem can it be seen that sin is the problem. This is what the chapter "It Is Finished" (from which we have discussed the last page) is discussing throughout. It wasn't until the cross that this principle was clearly seen by the (loyal) angels (and unfallen worlds). This is when the Great Controversy was won, as far as they are concerned.

It seems to me that in the final paragraph of DA 764, the titling phrase “It is Finish” is speaking of the necessity for this GC to go on, was here finished at the cross and soon this decreed judgement would be executed.

Again my view and understanding of DA 764 is that the angels did not understand the sinfulness of Satan’s sin, and thus that it was not deserving of death. However I see that they fully understood this at least by the debacle in the antedelluvians needing the Flood to redress things. What they pointed came to fully understand at the Cross, i.e., 4000 years after sin, was that, and just how much, Satan actually hated Jesus and wanted Him dead. That is what was umasked and resulted in the Angels utterly rejecting him (DA 761.2)

Indeed. And we see what the principle involved in the destruction of Jerusalem was. The wrath of God was inflicted by means of His permitting those who rejected Him to experience the result of their choice. This is the same principle at work in the judgment, as described in DA 764. We even see the same language used and the same Scriptures quoted ("Thou hast destroyed thyself.")

Still, given the undeniable sovereignty of God in all and any matter, I see that what is meant here is ‘Thou hast destroyed thyself by the means that God has ultimately allowed.’ God does not always have to directly cause destruction when there are perfectly natural means that will naturally bring about this result, still means that He has the power, if He wills, to prevent and/or defeat.

Quote:
NJK:It could also be argued, as you apparently already understand, that God’s acted non-violently by simply not permitting His “wisening” Spirit to influence (in this case of rebellion, “compel”) these Jews to do the right things.

Tom:Right. The use of force is contrary to the principles of His government. Compelling power is found only under the government of the enemy.

I actually understand that God can use force (i.e., a definition of “violence”) to forcefully bring about a judgement (e.g., the Flood and Sodom and Gomorrah) and not that God uses force to “compel” people. So I was saying here that if God had permitted His Spirit to “strive” with these unbelieving Jews here to make them e.g., ‘see that paying their taxes was the best choice,’ he would have, given their decided rebelliousness against His will, been “compelling” them to do the right thing = His will here. If such a dilemma had been righteous, then surely God would have acted to influence a choice for good amongst such would-be sincere seekers of His will. However they were acting out of pure and callous rebelliousness.

Quote:
NJK: Also, while the destruction punishment was indeed manifest in reality, it, to the issue of this discussion, was a “wrathful” pronouncement of Jesus Himself, which He surely may have been quite instrumental in allowing when the time came.

Tom: He had no choice, given the constraints of free will.

The deliberate ‘veiled teaching’ approach of Jesus (Matt 13:10-15) all directly based upon the desire for physical destruction in the OT in Isa 6:9-13 and the later “blindness in part” that occurred on Ethnic Jews (e.g., Rom 11:25) all surely greatly contributed to this final utter end. Therefore He was indeed “instrumental” in this end. He could have easily done the same thing with His disciples who in many ways ‘just didn’t get it’ until after the resurrection.

Quote:
T:In the case cited, in its actual reality, it was violent.

Tom: It's not possible to compel people to do right things, unless one has a very superficial idea as to what doing right things means.

And... didn’t God, e.g., “compel” the right thing to be done by Moses and his previously disobedient wife, when He was going to strike Moses dead if he persisted in his disobedience. (Exo 4:24-26). If God actually wanted Moses dead then, rather than actually be forced to do what was right, Moses would have died. Actual Biblical Truth is not determined by mere philosophically-based maxims but by all that is written! (2 Tim 3:16).

Agreed. My point is that this episode illustrates how God always acts; it's not a special case.

I do not see how ‘one’ development can become an ‘illustration of how God always acts’. The Divinely active and direct Sodom and Gomorrah destruction (Gen 19:24, 25), indeed with God and two Angels having bodily made a trip to Earth for this is a prominent examples of how God can actively bring about the results and judgement of sin. As it will also occur with the Lake of Fire destruction of the wicked.

Quote:
NJK: Indeed if they had just heeded Christ counsel to ‘pay Caesar what belongs to him’, this whole catastrophe would probably have been averted.

Tom: A good insight.

Promotion: That was taken from my book on the 70 Weeks.

Quote:
NJK: [As now updated]: A) It seems that doing, an even cursory, word study on the word “fear” in relation to God in the Bible (OT #03372a/#03374 & NT #5399) will corroborate exactly what “healthy fear” I am referring to. (E.g, OT: Gen 22:12; Job 1:1; 8, 9; 2 Chr 6:31; - NT: Matt 10:28; Heb 4:1; Rev 11:18; 14:7; 19:5, etc)

Tom: The following comes to mind: (MS 20, 1897)

In keeping with the ‘healthy fear of God’ understanding in the Bible, indeed pivotal to the final warning to be given to the world (Rev 14:7), the following ‘more to the point’ (= exegetically pertinent) passages comes to mind: Job 28:28; Psa 111:10; Pro 1:7; 9:10; 15:33; Isa 11:2; 33:6.

As your cited SOP statement, moreover, actually says nothing against having this Biblically encouraged “healthy fear of God”, I can only see your opposition to this as also being merely as ‘how you prefer things to be; how they should be’ and not what the Bible actually teaches! Needless to say, at least for me, that I personally am not persuaded by what is not Biblical, however surfacely righteous one may think they are.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132124
03/26/11 01:13 AM
03/26/11 01:13 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I take Jesus Christ to be foundational, and, more than that, all-in-all in terms of revealing God's character. If I come across what look to be disconnects to that in anything, I defer whatever that thing is to the revelation of Jesus Christ. For example, in regards to the OT, I understand that what Christ lived and spoke was *His* understanding of the OT. I therefore accept that as definitive, and if the OT looks different to me, I conclude that Jesus Christ must be right, and defer to that. I see no need to add to the revelation of Jesus Christ.

On the other hand, you see Jesus Christ's revelation as lacking. For example, He did not reveal the "ministration of wrath" as you put it, nor God's "strange act." Your perception is that we need to add to Jesus Christ's revelation, to include the Old Testament, and, perhaps, the Spirit of Prophecy. So for me, it's Christ, and only Christ. For you it's Christ +.

To be clear, I'm speaking of "the whole purpose of Christ's mission on earth," to use Ellen White's phrase, which was His work while here in the flesh, in all the above references to Christ and His revelation above. You can let me know if you have any disagreements with my summary of a principle difference we have. Another big difference is I perceive you to be more rules-based, whereas I'm more principle-based. I'll go into more detail regarding this in a future post if you'd like.

I do not believe Jesus, while here in the flesh, revealed everything there is to know about "His strange act". I also believe Jesus began revealing what the Father is like in the OT before His incarnation and continued doing so while here in the flesh. Jesus said, "I have many things I'd like to share with you but none of you are ready. I'll finish sharing it with you through the Holy Spirit later on."

What I really keep hoping is that you'll honor my request to address the two newly worded questions posted above. I realize you think you have adequately addressed them, but after all these years I still have absolutely no idea what you believe. It would do my heart and soul wonders if you were to explain your thoughts in the clearest of terms possible. "Go ahead, make my day."

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: APL] #132125
03/26/11 01:17 AM
03/26/11 01:17 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, for your convenience:

1. In the OT, why did Jesus command godly people to kill ungodly people in battle?

2. In the OT, why did Jesus command godly people to kill ungodly people through the execution of capital punishment?

Quote:
Exodus
22:20 He that sacrificeth unto [any] god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Numbers
15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

Deuteronomy
2:34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain:
20:17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; [namely], the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

Joshua
10:40 So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132127
03/26/11 02:37 AM
03/26/11 02:37 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
You're disagreeing with the following?

Quote:
I believe our job as Christians is to argue the reverse, that Satan/sin is responsible for all the evil in the world, and not God.

Actually yes. As God can and has prevented evil, e.g., to safeguard Israel, He therefore is fully responsible for its occurrence, indeed simply by removing this protection, choosing not to have mercy. So I do not see this as “the argument of the enemy” per se, but rather just his cover, and that by calculatedly to this end, having chosen to remain in the shadows while letting, the already manifested and more prominent God, wholly take the blame. Again, Satan’s GC position is that man can live independently of God and if the Tree of Life had not been removed, as I understand it, such ‘sinful perpetual life, despite knowing good and evil, and indeed practising evil, would have been possible (Gen 3:22-24). So Satan’s posturing here is to make God responsible for the adverse effects of sin, all stemming from God withdrawal of the life quality maintaining tree. And towards this blaming end, he does indeed try to complicate matters, now have nothing to lose, but rather many more, upset-with-God, people to gain.

So in summary of my Theological understanding here: I do not see that ‘God is not responsible for why evil happens as sin is this why but solely, in an ultimate since, that this evil is permitted to be effectuated, as he can easily prevent it, and all that stemming from the decision to ban access to the Tree of Life to sinful man and curtail its effect upon nature outside of the Garden of Eden. So it is solely in that since that I say “responsible for” i.e., ‘having allowed it’ but certainly not for actively doing it. The Devil in many ways does that. Still much of our various personal and planetary adversities are natural occurrences of a continually degenerating nature from its once perfect state. E.g., God does not cause earthquakes or hurricanes, an ageing planet with damaged and shifting tectonic plates natural cause earthquakes, and an uneven climate causes hurricanes to form.

Quote:
NJK: In a ultimate sense yes since cancer could have been prevented and cured by the Fruit of Life. However if one has “chosen” by such directly causing unhealthy acts such as smoking to expose themselves to getting cancer, then God may still also have allowed this by having banned the preventive healing found in Fruit of Life. It was indeed such sinful acts that resulted in the banning of access to that healing tree.

Tom: I think you're over-complicating this. It has nothing to do with the tree of life. If you smoke, you may get cancer, because of the characteristics of cigarettes. This is an example of a free will choice leading to an undesirable consequence. If all had followed God's counsels, these things wouldn't happen. God is not responsible for these things happening, but they follow the law of cause and effect.

I actually am not, in my understanding. With cancer, many people live healthy lives and still get cancer. That all really stems back to the absence of the Fruit of Life in our lives. Cigarette smoking is something else entirely and may be a cause-and-effect issue. However many diseases are not, but just a natural consequence of our bodily frailty after so many years of being removed from the Tree of Life and our once perfect state.

I was going to say this one isn't an issue, but the plagues of Egypt come to mind. Many have the idea of God's acting like a criminal wanting protection money, using more and more force until He gets His way. That would be similar to what you're suggesting here.

While the plagues are an example of God’s use of force, I actually do not see them as an act of compelling since if God wanted to compel Pharoah to obey Him, He would not have hardened his heart at all. Seems to me that God wanted to completely break the Spirits of Pharaoh so that Israel would have an unobstructed exodus and also a financially rewarded one as it indeed came to pass.

I don't believe God is violent, nor that violence is part of God's government, in either of the two ways you mentioned. I don't see any hint of this in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.

Due to a seeming confusion of understandings I suggest/move for an abandonment of the term “violence” here for instead ‘use of force’ as this is supposed to be how this term is being used here. So in that sense, I see God, in many instances, as “using force”, e.g., supernatural acts, to effectuate a judgement action and not always just letting nature take its course..

Is any kind of violence a part of God's government?

If violence is “use of force” here, then yes.

If so, did this part of God's government exist from the beginning, and just wasn't revealed, like grace and mercy?

Of course, prior to sin: “No”; however after sin, by variously protective necessity: “Yes”.

So we could say that God was always violent, but this aspect of His character wasn't seen, until sin came about (similarly to mercy and grace).

(Same response as above.)

-In regards to mercy and grace, it was not prominent in the OT as the spiritual discretion needed to implement it was not allowed by the Law. The Law was supposed to be a School Master to probably inculcate in believers the proper application of mercy and grace (cf. Matt 5:17, 18ff). Only the believers in Christ who thus had a proper understanding of the Law and its honourableness, through His Gospel crash course, were able to properly grasp and apply mercy and grace.

Nonetheless, by God annually forgiving all of the sins of Israelites in the Passover ceremony and the blotting them out in the Day of Atonement, “mercy and grace” were also quite present in the OT. Of course, God, as I see it, for most tangible, inherent life and death reasons, commanded that the commitance of various “high-handed” sins were to be immediately, capitally punished. However most lesser tangibly affecting sins, were mercifully dealt with through the Sanctuary system.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #132128
03/26/11 04:54 AM
03/26/11 04:54 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
After reading Tom’s summary and enunciation of differences, above I’ll succinctly chime in on this topic again, just to say that it also does seem to me that Jesus put on hold His ‘ministry of wrath’ [as Mountain Man has said] and execution of due judgement, which was in line with OT Divine dealings during his 3.5 year ministry period, as e.g., explicitly stated by Him in Luke 12:49, 50 (i.e., (literally - also from the exegetical analysis I had done on this passsage for a sermon): “I have [personally i.e., not ‘been sent’] come to cast [“Hell” vss. 45-48] Fire upon the Earth; and how I wish that it be already kindled! But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how I am constraining myself (i.e., “holding myself back so that it may be accomplished [as it possibly may not be if Jesus so opted = Matt 26:37-44]”

I see a concrete manifestation of this deliberate delaying in Christ’s cutting his initial sermon on Isa 61:1, 2 short (Luke 4:18-21) as He refrained from mentioning the “day of vengeance of our God” (vs. Isa 61:2b), however did so at the end of His ministry when speaking judgements on the nation of Israel as they had failed to continue to advance in God’s will (Luke 21:22); indeed so that “all that has been written be fulfilled”. Ironically enough, “God’s day of vengeance” mentioned in Isa 61:2b, intended for the enemies of Israel, was here, out of pure necessity, going to include the unbelieving Jews (cf. DA 240.4), indeed as seen in the 70 A.D. destruction.

So the operative determinant here is to let the text itself determine what our view should be and not vice versa, however sincerely “righteous” we may consider it to be. If it is indeed “righteous” then it should not be contradicted. So it therefore seems clear to me that Jesus did not similarly demonstrate this OT wrath during his Earthly ministry simply because it was not yet the appropriate time to do so. That principle also manifested itself in God’s/His OT dealings (e.g., Gen 15:13, 16).

NJK,

Excellent post. Well said.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #132129
03/26/11 04:56 AM
03/26/11 04:56 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The question is if Jesus Christ is a full and complete revelation of God's character. If that's the case, we don't really need to consider exceptions on a case by case basis, as there wouldn't be any exceptions.

Tom,

Will you know everything that it is possible to know about God the moment you see Jesus when He comes?

How about after 3.5 years in Heaven with Him?

God bless,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 43 of 105 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!