HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 58 of 105 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #132379
04/05/11 08:08 PM
04/05/11 08:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I know this was addressed to kland, but I found this an interesting post, so have replied to it.

Quote:
When Jesus withdraws His protection and gives Satan permission to kill sinners, because "they are worthy" (Rev 16:6), are we to assume Satan is acting injudiciously?

Yes.

Quote:
Is he not, after all, acting in harmony with Jesus' will?

No, of course not. Satan acts contrary to Jesus' will. That's his character. Satan is evil; Jesus is good. They have wills the one contrary to the other.

Quote:
If Satan were to refuse to mete out justice on Jesus' behalf who, pray tell, would punish the wicked?

This isn't a reasonable assumption here.

Quote:
What good is law if no one is willing to enforce it? "God has a right to enforce the penalty of the law upon transgressors, for law without a penalty would be without force." {ST, July 14, 1890 par. 2}

The following is from "The Great Controversy" discussing the destruction of Jerusalem:

Quote:
Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. (GC 36)

The law is enforced. GC 35-37 describes how it is enforced. It's not an arbitrarily imposed sentence, but by the law of cause and effect.

Quote:
"By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors. Again and again men commit sin, and yet they do not seem to believe that they must suffer the penalty for breaking the law." {6BC 1095.4} "God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law." {GC 539.3} "The penalty for the least transgression of that law is death, and but for Christ, the sinner's Advocate, it would be summarily visited on every offender." {TDG 246.1}

Do you agree Jesus is required, by law, to execute justice and judgment, to punish the wicked according to their words and works?

This is the wrong way of looking at things, IMO, because it is phrasing things as if the law were an entity independent of God. The law is a transcript of God's character, so it suffices simply to say that God's character requires Him to do the things that He does, the defining characteristic of which is love.

Quote:
If so, do you believe it falls to Satan to punish them?

Disobedience to the law of itself brings punishment. It's a mistake to think that this must be arbitrarily imposed ("arbitrarily" as per its primary meaning; not "capricious" or "whimsical").

Quote:
If so, what if Satan refused to do it, who would administer the "ministry of wrath" on Jesus' behalf?

What Satan does doesn't matter as far as the certain of the punishment of the wicked is concerned.

Here's something to consider:

Quote:
Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. (GC 36)

The certain punishment that comes upon the wicked is exemplified by what happened in the destruction of Jerusalem. What happened there?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132380
04/05/11 08:23 PM
04/05/11 08:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you seem to be referring to the first death, whereas in the quotes I posted Ellen is referring to the second death. The penalty for transgressing the law of God is the second death. Roman soldiers will not be employed by Satan to mete out the justice and judgment of God as in the case of Jerusalem's destruction in 70 AD.

By the way, what sin resulted in Satan employing Roman soldiers to kill the Jews in 70 AD? In what way was it not "arbitrary"?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #132381
04/05/11 08:27 PM
04/05/11 08:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
K: NJK, is killing part of God's character?

N: Because God is Just in his character, judicious killing harmonizes with how He sees best to deal with the sin problem. The Theodicy Truth here is not determined by what I need my God to be, but what He has revealed and done in the Bible. God never acts out of Character as that would itself be sin, since He/His Character is already and unimprovingly perfect.

K: Would you say the only difference between God's character and satan's character (regarding killing), is that God's killing is considered "judicious" while satan's killing is not?

M: When Jesus withdraws His protection and gives Satan permission to kill sinners, because "they are worthy" (Rev 16:6), are we to assume Satan is acting injudiciously? Is he not, after all, acting in harmony with Jesus' will? If Satan were to refuse to mete out justice on Jesus' behalf who, pray tell, would punish the wicked? What good is law if no one is willing to enforce it? "God has a right to enforce the penalty of the law upon transgressors, for law without a penalty would be without force." {ST, July 14, 1890 par. 2}
wow

Are you saying that both Jesus and Satan kill judiciously?

Quote:
who, pray tell, would punish the wicked?
Could that comment be a revealing of a problem with your view?

You omitted most of my post. Why?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #132382
04/05/11 08:30 PM
04/05/11 08:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I addressed three posts to you after the one I posted to Kland (which you responded to above). Please respond to them. Thank you.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #132385
04/05/11 10:31 PM
04/05/11 10:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Really busy, MM. I'm doing my best.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #132387
04/05/11 10:43 PM
04/05/11 10:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: She clearly says God was testing, proving Moses. Which plainly means He did not intend to destroy Israel.

T: There are other incidents in Scripture where this very thing happened. For example, God looked for someone to repair the breach of the wall. If He had found someone, things could have been different. In Moses, He did find someone, and things were different.

M: To what purpose was God testing, proving Moses?

T: To the end of revealing His character.

M:What attribute of character did Jesus reveal when He told Moses to let Him destroy Israel?

Is this what you think God was doing? Or, let me ask it this way, what do you think was happening?

What I think was happening is that God wanted to be merciful, and this was the aspect of character He was revealing.

Quote:
Also, what would have qualified as passing the test – letting Jesus destroy Israel or not letting Him destroy Israel?

I understand that God was proving, or testing, Moses in the sense of revealing his character.

Quote:
Would Moses have passed the test if he had let Jesus destroy Israel? And, would Jesus have passed the test if He had destroyed Israel?

What test?

Quote:
“Let Me alone, that My wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation."

Remember that God's wrath is His hiding His face, withdrawing His protection. This is similar to other times in Scripture, when God looked from someone to intercede. In Moses He found a kindred spirit.

Quote:

M: Otherwise, if Moses had failed the test and God had destroyed Israel, it implies God would have raised up a nation through a man who failed the test of his faithfulness.

T: It does imply that. But people have failed tests of faithfulness and gone on to be great followers of God, of which Abraham, the very father of the people whom were discussing, is an example. The reason Israel wasn't destroyed was because of Moses' intercession. God wasn't kidding.

M: Why would God destroy a nation fathered by a failure only to replace it by another father of failure? “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

T: Any nation founded by any human being, other than the man Jesus Christ, is going to be founded upon someone flawed.

M:Which begs the question – Why destroy Israel and start over with Moses? How is that not “insane” (see definition above)?

Why couldn't the offspring of Moses have behaved differently?

Quote:

M: Also, why did God need Moses' permission to destroy Israel?

T: I don't understand why you're asking this. That is, why do you think God needed Moses' permission?

M:Because Jesus asked Moses to “let” Him destroy Israel.

I think God wanted Moses to intercede on behalf of Israel.

(More later)

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132388
04/06/11 12:34 AM
04/06/11 12:34 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
It seems Tom is right about this incident. This is what Ellen White says, and the interesting lesson she draws:

Quote:
"And the Lord said unto Moses, How long will this people provoke me? and how long will it be ere they believe me, for all the signs which I have showed among them? I will smite them with the pestilence, and disinherit them, and will make of thee a greater nation and mightier than they." {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 9}

Moses was then tested and proved of God. Forsake Israel? Come out from among them, and leave them in their rebellion and sin?--No, never. {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 10}

"And Moses said unto the Lord, Then the Egyptians shall hear it (for thou broughtest up this people in thy might from among them;), and they will tell it to the inhabitants of this land: for they have heard that thou Lord art among this people, that thou Lord art seen face to face, and that thy cloud standeth over them, and that thou goest before them, by daytime in a pillar of a cloud, and in a pillar of fire by night. Now if thou shalt kill all people as one man, then the nations that have heard the fame of thee will speak, saying, Because the Lord was not able to bring this people into the land which ye sware unto them, therefore he hath slain them in the wilderness. And now, I beseech thee, let the power of my Lord be great, according as thou hast spoken, saying, The Lord is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation. Pardon, I beseech thee, the iniquity of this people according unto the greatness of thy mercy, and as thou hast forgiven this people, from Egypt until now. And the Lord said, I have pardoned according to thy word: but as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord. Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice; surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it." {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 11}

Mark the whole tenor of this chapter, and learn the lesson it conveys to modern Israel. These things are written for our ensamples upon whom the ends of the world are come. We see the unbelief, and the stout resistance of some who have had great light, and although evidence has been piled upon evidence, they have kept themselves in stubborn resistance. The Lord has sent messages of warning and entreaty, messages of reproof and rebuke, and they have not been in vain. But we have never had a message that the Lord would disorganize the church. We have never had the prophecy concerning Babylon applied to the Seventh-day Adventist Church, or been informed that the "loud cry" consisted in calling God's people to come out of her; for this is not God's plan concerning Israel. {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 12}

In the example of Moses pleading for the children of Israel, is represented the position that we should take in regard to the people of God, however erring, or weak, or defective they may be. {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 13}

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Rosangela] #132389
04/06/11 12:53 AM
04/06/11 12:53 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
It seems Tom is right about this incident. This is what Ellen White says, and the interesting lesson she draws:

Quote:
"And the Lord said unto Moses, How long will this people provoke me? and how long will it be ere they believe me, for all the signs which I have showed among them? I will smite them with the pestilence, and disinherit them, and will make of thee a greater nation and mightier than they." {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 9}

Moses was then tested and proved of God. Forsake Israel? Come out from among them, and leave them in their rebellion and sin?--No, never. {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 10}

"And Moses said unto the Lord, Then the Egyptians shall hear it (for thou broughtest up this people in thy might from among them;), and they will tell it to the inhabitants of this land: for they have heard that thou Lord art among this people, that thou Lord art seen face to face, and that thy cloud standeth over them, and that thou goest before them, by daytime in a pillar of a cloud, and in a pillar of fire by night. Now if thou shalt kill all people as one man, then the nations that have heard the fame of thee will speak, saying, Because the Lord was not able to bring this people into the land which ye sware unto them, therefore he hath slain them in the wilderness. And now, I beseech thee, let the power of my Lord be great, according as thou hast spoken, saying, The Lord is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation. Pardon, I beseech thee, the iniquity of this people according unto the greatness of thy mercy, and as thou hast forgiven this people, from Egypt until now. And the Lord said, I have pardoned according to thy word: but as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord. Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice; surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it." {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 11}

Mark the whole tenor of this chapter, and learn the lesson it conveys to modern Israel. These things are written for our ensamples upon whom the ends of the world are come. We see the unbelief, and the stout resistance of some who have had great light, and although evidence has been piled upon evidence, they have kept themselves in stubborn resistance. The Lord has sent messages of warning and entreaty, messages of reproof and rebuke, and they have not been in vain. But we have never had a message that the Lord would disorganize the church. We have never had the prophecy concerning Babylon applied to the Seventh-day Adventist Church, or been informed that the "loud cry" consisted in calling God's people to come out of her; for this is not God's plan concerning Israel. {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 12}

In the example of Moses pleading for the children of Israel, is represented the position that we should take in regard to the people of God, however erring, or weak, or defective they may be. {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 13}

"But we have never had a message that the Lord would disorganize the church." Which implies Jesus did not intend to destroy Israel and start over with Moses, not any more than Jesus intends to reject the SDA church and start over with another church.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132391
04/06/11 01:00 AM
04/06/11 01:00 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
NJK: First of all, where in Scripture is the destruction event of Jerusalem recorded?? It is only from the SOP account and Josephus that we have an account of that event.

Tom:It is in Scripture, and I quoted it for you.

Originally Posted By: Bible

What then will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and kill those tenants and give the vineyard to others.(Mark 12)

When the King heard what had been done, he was very angry, and sent out his army to destroy the murderers, and burn up their city.(Matt. 22)

That was part of my point, that was not a ‘matter-of fact account or straightforward fore-description of the destruction. It was a parable. Are we to take all of the elements used in a parable as literal descriptions. What then of e.g., the Rich Man and Lazarus.

In reality, did God send ‘His own army’ to do this destruction (which would literally have to be the Angels as He is the Lord of Hosts) or was it the Roman armies who came and did this. Still as God is sovereign over all of the earth, and does set up and remove earthly kings (Dan 2:21) and even ‘cause (= Hiphil) foreign kings/kingdoms to be ‘awaken/roused up/stirred up’ to effectuate His plans/judgements of destruction even when not in direct relation for or against His Israel (Isa 13:17). Indeed as shown in Isa 10:26, as the Lord of Host (=angels) He still does this work through earthly powers, even foreign armies as for the promised destruction of the Assyrians (cf. vs. 24-34). So I do not see Christ’s parable as being substantively contradictive to what was later revealed in the SOP. At the very least, it could only have been down by the allowance of the Sovereign God of this World.

Quote:
T:Indeed, it sounds like this to you, but not to me, or APL, or kland, or many others. Why doesn't it sound like this to us, but it does to you? Because your mind-set is different than ours.

NJK:Indeed I similarly ask to you all: Why??! Perhaps the above “exhaustively comprehensive, harmonized” thus “proper” exegesis can help you answer this “why” here and also understand what the Biblical “mind-set” actually is.

Tom: Not at all.

That’s really too bad. However I believe I made a substantive point. It is indeed, seriously, really “too bad” that you cannot even begin to see the, at least, hinted exegetical light here.

Originally Posted By: Tom
Your response was one of reaction. You didn't investigate what was happening, but merely read a text, and replied, "this sounds like such and such to me."

Then it should not be too hard for you to substantiate that claim of your with points that I made that were Biblically wrong and that because they were assumedly “not investigated.” If my, even off the theological cuff comments are so manifestly wrong, then you can easily shoot them down by posting a Bible and SOP statement against it. I cannot know what you are objecting to and I surely did not endeavor to knowingly post false/wrong statements. (By the way, I am not impressed by your customary, almost default, way of answering questions with questions or making vacuous one-liner replies. Now that, on it’s face, providing non-investigated replies.) So you are really here seeking to hold me responsible for something you all do and much worst. I know and would prefer to exhaust all exegetic resources before discussion however my time won’t allow me. Again, if you readily know something to be false, then point it out, otherwise, I think that, at the very least, I made a Biblically valid point. It all seems normal for a discussion, or else I personally would have to take ca. 6 months between answers while I first do/write a doctoral dissertation on a topic.

When you see certain statements, they immediately strike you a certain way. You then investigate if you think the way they strike you is what you think is correct.

The non-peripheral, quasi-obfuscating, substantive question still is how/where was I then wrong??! Given the constraint of my time, I indeed do not do deep exegesis to all text. Factually speaking, neither do you. The problem is that while I go on to support my view with deeper exegesis, even correcting it if need be, you all never allow such deeper exegesis to correct your view as they should, preferring to, for evidently, desired face-saving reasons, maintain your initial view. That is what I factually, and not purely pejoratively, see as “still seeing a forest despite all of the felled trees”.

My question was directed towards why the given statement strikes you in a certain way in the first place. It's because of your mind-set/paradigm, the same as for everyone else.

...And my answer was in regards to GC 628, because that is what the text says, (confirmed by what I subsequently exegetically observed in the Bible and SOP.) I.e., whether directly or indirectly effectuated, they were still God’s desire and His wrath. It indeed is not that God wanted to not punish these people to these extent but Satan overpowered Him, or convinced Him to let Him unmercifully scourge them!?? It is your paradigm that just won’t let you read, recognize and acknowledge that straightforward reality, as well as others to the sort, including in Christ ministry, to the point where you effectively say that Jesus was incorrect in His Vinedressers parable statement of destruction. That view, or even perception, alone sinks the validity of your paradigm.

Quote:

NJK: You also, at least effectively, spuriously and falsely keep on trying to make me say that I think and say that: ‘I believe/think that violence/killing/coercion/use of force to get ones way/etc is part of God's character and what He does.’ Instead of speculating on what you think I think/believe quote me where I supposedly said this.

Tom: Why don't you start please? That is, please quote what specifically it is I'm saying here that you're taking exception to, and I'll look for evidence to support what I've asserted. What you quoted, that you are responding to, is this:

Someone who views violence/killing/coercion/use of force to get ones way/etc. as contrary to God's character, sees something different happening.

Indeed, in that emboldened statement you actually have your contextually implied answer!

Since you're reacting against *this* statement, which doesn't mention you at all, is it correct for me to understand that you wish to assert that you are a part of this group? In other words, you see yourself as believing that God doesn't use violence/killing/coercion/use of force to get His way? If this is what you wish to assert, simply say so please, and if I disagree with your assertion, I'll look for evidence to support why.

Full quote:

The way we view God impacts how we interpret spiritual statements, whether from Scripture or the SOP. To someone who views things the way you do, "Sounds indeed like justified and deserving, Divine ‘wrathful’ judgements to me" is what comes naturally to mind. Someone who views violence/killing/coercion/use of force to get ones way/etc. as contrary to God's character, sees something different happening.

Okay then, I’ll mindlessly bite and assume that you had other people but me in mind here (I still don’t see why?? Especially since, as customary on your part, you never explicitly stated that you had abandoned your prior views and opposition of me for what you had though was my similar view. Indeed I cannot keep track of when you silently switch views.). So then simply state what in my view, as you seem, or should already have in mind before making this claim, that makes literal statements of ‘God’s just/judicious wrath, unmixed mercy, permitted or directly done destructions’ wrongly “God’s just/judicious wrath, unmixed mercy, permitted or directly done destructions”. As I said, you are trying to fault me for straightforwardly and comprehensively reading the Bible and SOP vs. your narrow, mutually exclusive approach!!? Who can win against that??! And once again, it has never been and nor is not my view. I do not conflate the “use of force” with “violence” or “compelling force”.

Quote:
NJK: As I said, and shown in this response, your first need to engage in more substantively sound and deep exegesis, which shouldn’t be too hard for you a seminarian. That will, or should demonstrate what the Biblical mindset is, and there is only one, God is not dividable nor divided. That has been a foundational exegetical tenet of mine for now over 13 years and you’ll be shock how many Biblical statements, including in the SOP, that are harmonized into a full congruent truth, if not just rightly corrected, when this claim of “having a paradigm” is left out, letting the texts speak for themselves and state what the full view should be. So the Bible and SOP will not (normatively) contradict each other; and if they do, as they indeed, substantively do at times, then, as EGW counsels, the Bible is the final arbitrator.

Tom: We're all doing this. We just use different foundational statements upon which to harmonize the others.

I rather see quite the different thing, as expounded upon above.

For example, you believe that God's primary characteristic is His power. I believe it's His love.

Here you go again misunderstanding, misrepresenting and/or misconstruing my views. I say that God’s prominently revealed characteristic is His power, as His many names to that end shows, and as explained in this other post, that is out of logical realities in this GC. So I do not see that God ‘“first” uses His power’. That is different from Him having to prominently use and convey as natural circumstances demanded it. Using Love for every circumstance, especially in the realities of this GC, would prove to impeachingly be Artificial and Hypocritical on God’s part.

As another example, I believe that the primary revelation of God's character is Jesus Christ. I believe that all that we can know of God was revealed by Him. Therefore I don't need to go outside of Jesus Christ to know or understand God. This is an important foundational principle which I use in attempting to harmonize Scriptural statements, or statements by the SOP.

I already addressed that above and again, I don’t see the OT God and Jesus to be mutually exclusive, as Jesus Himself said He was emulating the OT God (John 8:16, 28; 38; 10:37, 38). How were people to ascertain that what Jesus was doing was also what the Father would do if they were not to be looking at the records of the OT to see what the OT God had done??

So we both agree that Scripture should harmonize with itself, as well as the SOP (should harmonize with itself, and Scripture), but disagree on what the foundational principles should be upon which to attempt the harmonization.

My foundational scripture is all of Scriptures, and squarely Jesus confirms that approach. Nonetheless, when in doubt as to how the OT God had (justly) acted (which indeed is the only applicable question), then do look at Jesus and He will indeed reveal just how the Father had indeed (justly) acted in the OT, and that, not because, He would have exactly redone these very past acts (circumstances have changes), but because, when similar circumstances manifested themselves, Jesus then did something very similar. And in regards to this discussion, that includes judgement, even if working to aid the coming to pass of them (e.g, Matt 13:10-17 = Isa 6:9-13).

It is quite telling to me that you rarely address my cited texts of support as this (Matt 13:10-17 = Isa 6:9-13; also Matt 23). Instead making claims to your paradigm. However you should now and understand, as you apparently intellectually do, vs. practically, that an SOP quote, particularly an non “I was shown one” is not defaulty on the same level as the testimony of Scripture. So e.g., effectively saying that ‘“Matt 13:10-17 = Isa 6:9-13" is not an example of Jesus’ ministry of wrath, and that, self-contradictingly, because the SOP says that Jesus only reveals the Father, and circularly, that this must only be a Loving, non-judging, non-wrathful revelation’, is the wrong approach as it is highly subjective and textbook eisegesis.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #132392
04/06/11 01:02 AM
04/06/11 01:02 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: kland
K: NJK, is killing part of God's character?

N: Because God is Just in his character, judicious killing harmonizes with how He sees best to deal with the sin problem. The Theodicy Truth here is not determined by what I need my God to be, but what He has revealed and done in the Bible. God never acts out of Character as that would itself be sin, since He/His Character is already and unimprovingly perfect.

K: Would you say the only difference between God's character and satan's character (regarding killing), is that God's killing is considered "judicious" while satan's killing is not?

When Jesus withdraws His protection and gives Satan permission to kill sinners, because "they are worthy" (Rev 16:6), are we to assume Satan is acting injudiciously? Is he not, after all, acting in harmony with Jesus' will? If Satan were to refuse to mete out justice on Jesus' behalf who, pray tell, would punish the wicked? What good is law if no one is willing to enforce it? "God has a right to enforce the penalty of the law upon transgressors, for law without a penalty would be without force." {ST, July 14, 1890 par. 2}

"By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors. Again and again men commit sin, and yet they do not seem to believe that they must suffer the penalty for breaking the law." {6BC 1095.4} "God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law." {GC 539.3} "The penalty for the least transgression of that law is death, and but for Christ, the sinner's Advocate, it would be summarily visited on every offender." {TDG 246.1}

Do you agree Jesus is required, by law, to execute justice and judgment, to punish the wicked according to their words and works? If so, do you believe it falls to Satan to punish them? If so, what if Satan refused to do it, who would administer the "ministry of wrath" on Jesus' behalf?

Quote:
With unerring accuracy, the Infinite One keeps a record of the impiety of nations and individuals. Long is his mercy tendered to them, with calls to repentance; but when their guilt reaches a certain limit, which he has fixed, then mercy ceases her pleadings, and the ministration of wrath begins. {LP 318.1}

This penalty Christ bore for the sins of the transgressor. He has borne the punishment for every man, and for this reason He can ransom every soul, however fallen his condition, if he will accept the law of God as his standard of righteousness. The cry of despair from the soul calls forth the tenderest love of God, and this is salvation to every one that believes. He who sees the guilt of his transgression, and understands the infinite sacrifice made in his behalf, will not continue in sin. But if men continue to resist light and evidence, they will cut themselves off from God's mercy, and then will come the ministry of wrath. God can not save the sinner in his sin. The love of God is immeasurable to those who repent, but His justice is firm and uncompromising to those who abuse his long-suffering love. {ST, November 15, 1899 par. 6}

Jesus earned the right on the cross to pardon and save penitent sinners. "For this reason He can ransom every soul." He saves them from the penalty of transgression, that is, intense emotional and physical suffering eventually ending in eternal death.

Great SOP statements here on this issue Mountain Man. I see that these are indeed righteous and foundational parts of God’s Character and Jesus also perfectly emulated these in His Life and prominently His 3.5 year ministry.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Page 58 of 105 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!