HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 40 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 39 40
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #132589
04/11/11 04:29 PM
04/11/11 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Once again, we started out the discussion with me saying that no person could do good works apart from God's help. You disagreed with this, saying that an atheist, for example (this was your example) could independently do good works. You quoted from the SOP, the statement that a selfish heart could perform generous actions, to support your view.

Afterward you cited a statement from the SOP which contradicted your view, and supported my view, which said that man cannot do good works without a power outside of himself. So what I said was verified, and what you said was contradicted, but you've yet to recognize this.

I believe people who possess unsanctified human faculties are capable of experiencing "righteousnesses" without the renewing, regenerating power of Christ. For example, they feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
While we are to be in harmony with God's law, we are not saved by the works of the law, yet we cannot be saved without obedience. The law is the standard by which character is measured. But we cannot possibly keep the commandments of God without the regenerating grace of Christ. Jesus alone can cleanse us from all sin. He does not save us by law, neither will he save us in disobedience to law. {ST, July 21, 1890 par. 7}

It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. {SC 58.1}

The difference has to do with whether or not their "righteousnesses" honor and glorify God. The only way their "righteousnesses" is the result of saving faith is if they have experienced rebirth and are abiding in Jesus and are partaking of the divine nature. All other "righteousnesses are as filthy rags" even though Jesus labels them "righteousnesses".

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132617
04/12/11 08:04 AM
04/12/11 08:04 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: If any person does good works, it is by God's help. No person can do good works independently of God.

M: When you say "any person" are you including people who possess unsanctified human faculties?

T: I mean any person who does a good work.

M: Your comment leaves me wondering if you believe people who possess unsanctified human faculties are capable of cooperating with God, allowing the Holy Spirit to unite unsanctified human faculties and divine power, thus enabling people like avowed atheists to perform good works. Is this what you believe?

T: I don't know why it would leave you wondering this, as I've not said anything about it.

M:Again, when you say “any person” do you include people who possess unsanctified human faculties?

I made no statement about such people.

Quote:
Are they capable of responding to God’s help, allowing the Holy Spirit to unite their unsanctified human faculties and divine power, thus enabling people like avowed atheists to perform good works? I’m asking for clarification because your response above is very vague. Please respect my desire for you to address this question. Thank you.

My response wasn't vague. I stated I made not statement in regards to such people, and I didn't. That's not vague at all.

I also said that I'd like to resolve the issues we were dealing with before going on to new ones. I've already started responding to some new things you've brought up, even though we still haven't resolved the others. I'd like to keep this at a minimum. Once we get the two issues I've been asking you about for quite some time now resolved, we can open up new areas. I think this is fair.

Quote:
T: These are independent statements. Paul is not saying in verse 17 that the reason he is not ashamed of the God is because therein is the righteousness of God revealed, but Paul is commenting upon the Gospel, which he introduced in verse 16. In verse 18, Paul goes onto his next thought, which is that all are without excuse, which is the context of Romans 1-3. Arguing against your idea is: 1.It's not an idea that anyone else who has written about Romans has had. 2.It doesn't agree with what the SOP wrote. It also doesn't agree with the flow of Paul's argument. He's arguing that all are without excuse, not that those who used to live by faith but no longer do are without excuse.

M:Surely you believe the first two “for” are connected?

You're talking about the two "fors" in the same sentence? For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God..." Sure, these are connected. Everybody agrees with this.

Quote:
“So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth.” The words “for” here mean “because”. Paul is ready to preach the gospel because he believes it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes it. Therefore, he is not ashamed to preach the gospel. Paul goes on to say, “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.” That is, it is the power of God that enables them to live by faith.

The connection between “the just shall live by faith” and unrighteous “men who hold the truth in unrighteousness” is made clear elsewhere. “Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.” (Hab 2:4) “Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.” (Heb 10:38) “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness.” The word “for” here means “but” or “however”. In other words, “The just shall live by faith, but the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness.” The “men who hold the truth in unrighteousness” used to “live by faith”.

No, MM. This doesn't follow. Nobody agrees with this. Look at any commentary, any statement by the SOP, anything anywhere, and you won't find agreement with your assertion here. This is a challenge. Feel free to try to prove me wrong here.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132618
04/12/11 08:07 AM
04/12/11 08:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
M:I realize you didn’t know I believe “people can experience rebirth before they complete the process of converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded.” Thank you for bearing this in mind as we continue to study. I agree with you the Holy Spirit reveals representative sins rather than the millions of individual sins they have committed throughout their life.

Glad we agree on this. Now this is even though the SOP says that "every sin" is revealed. The same principle applies in regards to the judgment (we're discussing this on another thread, but I thought it bore mentioning here).

Quote:
"To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." What does it mean to "overcome" as Christ "overcame"?

It means to overcome by faith.

Quote:
Does it mean gradually discovering and crucifying the sinful habits and practices the Holy Spirit chose not to reveal when they initially experienced rebirth?

It means to overcome by faith.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #132619
04/12/11 08:11 AM
04/12/11 08:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:Once again, we started out the discussion with me saying that no person could do good works apart from God's help. You disagreed with this, saying that an atheist, for example (this was your example) could independently do good works. You quoted from the SOP, the statement that a selfish heart could perform generous actions, to support your view.

Afterward you cited a statement from the SOP which contradicted your view, and supported my view, which said that man cannot do good works without a power outside of himself. So what I said was verified, and what you said was contradicted, but you've yet to recognize this.

M:I believe people who possess unsanctified human faculties are capable of experiencing "righteousnesses" without the renewing, regenerating power of Christ. For example, they feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy.

I didn't speak to this. Please address the point I made.

Quote:
Ellen wrote:

Quote:
While we are to be in harmony with God's law, we are not saved by the works of the law, yet we cannot be saved without obedience. The law is the standard by which character is measured. But we cannot possibly keep the commandments of God without the regenerating grace of Christ. Jesus alone can cleanse us from all sin. He does not save us by law, neither will he save us in disobedience to law. {ST, July 21, 1890 par. 7}

It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. {SC 58.1}

The difference has to do with whether or not their "righteousnesses" honor and glorify God. The only way their "righteousnesses" is the result of saving faith is if they have experienced rebirth and are abiding in Jesus and are partaking of the divine nature. All other "righteousnesses are as filthy rags" even though Jesus labels them "righteousnesses".

Once again, we started out the discussion with me saying that no person could do good works apart from God's help. You disagreed with this, saying that an atheist, for example (this was your example) could independently do good works. You quoted from the SOP, the statement that a selfish heart could perform generous actions, to support your view.

I believe people who possess unsanctified human faculties are capable of experiencing "righteousnesses" without the renewing, regenerating power of Christ. For example, they feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy. Ellen wrote:

Quote:

[quote]

1.I stated that a person can only do good works by God's assistance.

2.You argued against this idea.

3.You produced a statement from the SOP stating that man cannot do good works apart from an outside power.

This agrees with what I was asserting!

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132628
04/12/11 02:47 PM
04/12/11 02:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I agree, of course, people can experience rebirth before they complete the process of converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded. Ignorance regarding certain doctrines, as well as diet and dress and Sabbath-keeping, are examples of ways born-again believers may not realize they are out of harmony with everything Jesus commanded. But in such cases Jesus does not hold them accountable. However, can you name cultivated sinful habits and practices, which violate the last six commandments and count as sins of ignorance (sins for which Jesus does not hold born-again believers nowadays accountable)?

T: Does proper dress fall under the first four commandments in your way of thinking?

M: I don’t understand how your question addresses the comment above or answers the question above. I would greatly appreciate knowing your answer to the question. To answer your question, I don’t know. Why do you ask?

T: You made the claim that people know the last six commandments by instinct. If this is the case, then they shouldn't need to be educated in regards to dress, unless you think this follows under the first four commandments.

Yes, people are born with an instinctive knowledge of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments. This applies to immoral dress. However, morality in dress has evolved (or devolved) since Ellen last wrote about it. Most people no longer consider it immoral for women to wear pants. However, most people agree certain styles of pants are immoral.

Quote:
M: I specify "nowadays" to avoid bringing up people like Luther who were steeped in the sins of Babylon and had not come completely out of her by the time they died. We are living in an age when it is commonly believed racism, polygamy, and alcoholism are morally wrong.

T: Nobody today is steeped in the sins of Babylon? A person converting to Christianity in a country where Catholicism reigns won't go through similar issues that Luther went through? What about people from cultures where Jesus Christ isn't known at all? There's no room for ignorance here?

M: Again, can you name sinful habits and practices, which violate the last six commandments, born-again believers nowadays continue to cultivate without realizing they are indulging harmful, unChristlike, counterproductive thoughts and feelings, which also count as sins of ignorance for which Jesus does not hold them accountable?

T: You mentioned dress. Let's start with that. Some people live in societies where polygamy is acceptable. Some people believe that living in a monogamous relationship is not sin, although one is not married. Some people don't see anything wrong with drinking alcohol, or smoking (either tobacco or pot, or other substances). Some cultures chew on leaves which have a mind-altering effect. Is this a sin? What about if the person is in pain? Some people have to learn how to speak purely, which starts with not swearing, for example, but involves much more than that. I don't believe a person knows instinctively all that's involved in speaking as Jesus Christ spoke. Some cultures don't see white lies as being wrong. Indeed, they see the reverse as being the case.

I believe people know instinctively, at least initially, before they sear their conscience, it is wrong to indulge the kinds of things you listed above. You seem to think they are clueless until they learn the truth about it through Bible study and prayer.

Quote:
M: To answer your questions, No, I do not believe there are people nowadays who study the Bible, experience rebirth, consent to baptism and church membership, and continue to cultivate unknown, unrevealed, uncrucified sinful habits and practices without realizing they are indulging harmful, unChristlike, counterproductive thoughts and feelings, which also count as sins of ignorance for which Jesus does not hold them accountable.

T: So you're just talking about SDA's I take it?

No.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132630
04/12/11 03:34 PM
04/12/11 03:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: If any person does good works, it is by God's help. No person can do good works independently of God.

M: When you say "any person" are you including people who possess unsanctified human faculties?

T: I mean any person who does a good work.

M: Your comment leaves me wondering if you believe people who possess unsanctified human faculties are capable of cooperating with God, allowing the Holy Spirit to unite unsanctified human faculties and divine power, thus enabling people like avowed atheists to perform good works. Is this what you believe?

T: I don't know why it would leave you wondering this, as I've not said anything about it.

M: Again, when you say “any person” do you include people who possess unsanctified human faculties? Are they capable of responding to God’s help, allowing the Holy Spirit to unite their unsanctified human faculties and divine power, thus enabling people like avowed atheists to perform good works? I’m asking for clarification because your response above is very vague. Please respect my desire for you to address this question. Thank you.

T: My response wasn't vague. I stated I made not statement in regards to such people, and I didn't. That's not vague at all. I also said that I'd like to resolve the issues we were dealing with before going on to new ones. I've already started responding to some new things you've brought up, even though we still haven't resolved the others. I'd like to keep this at a minimum. Once we get the two issues I've been asking you about for quite some time now resolved, we can open up new areas. I think this is fair.

You wrote, “If any person does good works, it is by God's help. No person can do good works independently of God.” Obviously “any person” and “no person” can only be referring to the only two classes of people that exist on our planet, namely, those who have experienced rebirth and those who have not experienced rebirth. People who do not experience rebirth possess unsanctified human faculties. Therefore, your words above can only mean you believe people, like avowed atheists, who possess unsanctified human faculties, are capable of responding to God’s help, allowing the Holy Spirit to unite their unsanctified human faculties and divine power, thus enabling people to perform good works. The only way your words above can mean anything else is if you are excluding people who have not experienced rebirth. But clearly the context of our discussion disallows this possibility. What I don’t understand is why you are unwilling to admit it.

Quote:
T: These are independent statements. Paul is not saying in verse 17 that the reason he is not ashamed of the God is because therein is the righteousness of God revealed, but Paul is commenting upon the Gospel, which he introduced in verse 16. In verse 18, Paul goes onto his next thought, which is that all are without excuse, which is the context of Romans 1-3. Arguing against your idea is: 1.It's not an idea that anyone else who has written about Romans has had. 2.It doesn't agree with what the SOP wrote. It also doesn't agree with the flow of Paul's argument. He's arguing that all are without excuse, not that those who used to live by faith but no longer do are without excuse.

M: Surely you believe the first two “for” are connected? “So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth.” The words “for” here mean “because”. Paul is ready to preach the gospel because he believes it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes it. Therefore, he is not ashamed to preach the gospel. Paul goes on to say, “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.” That is, it is the power of God that enables them to live by faith.

T: You're talking about the two "fors" in the same sentence? For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God..." Sure, these are connected. Everybody agrees with this.

I’m talking about the connection I made between all the verses I linked above. Do you agree? Or, do you believe verses 15 thru 17 contain three separate thoughts, a separate and unrelated thought for each verse?

Quote:
M: The connection between “the just shall live by faith” and unrighteous “men who hold the truth in unrighteousness” is made clear elsewhere. “Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.” (Hab 2:4) “Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.” (Heb 10:38) “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness.” The word “for” here means “but” or “however”. In other words, “The just shall live by faith, but the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness.” The “men who hold the truth in unrighteousness” used to “live by faith”.

T: No, MM. This doesn't follow. Nobody agrees with this. Look at any commentary, any statement by the SOP, anything anywhere, and you won't find agreement with your assertion here. This is a challenge. Feel free to try to prove me wrong here.

The “men who hold the truth in unrighteousness” used to “live by faith”. I take it you disagree with this connection. But is it too farfetched to assume that “men who hold the truth in unrighteousness” once held it faithfully, that at one time they, too, “believed and lived by faith”?

1. Also, how did God reveal the truth to the “men who hold the truth in unrighteousness”?
2. And, how much of the truth did God reveal to them?
3. Who were these men?
4. Were they justified?
5. Did they ever live in harmony with the truths God revealed to them?
6. Did they ever live by faith?
7. Are these the same men Paul describes in verses 19-32?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132632
04/12/11 04:06 PM
04/12/11 04:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I realize you didn’t know I believe “people can experience rebirth before they complete the process of converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded.” Thank you for bearing this in mind as we continue to study. I agree with you the Holy Spirit reveals representative sins rather than the millions of individual sins they have committed throughout their life.

T: Glad we agree on this. Now this is even though the SOP says that "every sin" is revealed. The same principle applies in regards to the judgment (we're discussing this on another thread, but I thought it bore mentioning here).

I’m glad too. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

Candidates who have grown to manhood and womanhood should understand their duty better than do the younger ones; but the pastor of the church has a duty to do for these souls. Have they wrong habits and practices? It is the duty of the pastor to have special meetings with them. Give them Bible readings, converse and pray with them, and plainly show the claims of the Lord upon them. Read to them the teaching of the Bible in regard to conversion. Show what is the fruit of conversion, the evidence that they love God. Show that true conversion is a change of heart, of thoughts and purposes. Evil habits are to be given up. The sins of evil-speaking, of jealousy, of disobedience, are to be put away. A warfare must be waged against every evil trait of character. Then the believing one can understandingly take to himself the promise: "Ask, and it shall be given you." Matthew 7:7. {6T 95.1}

John says, "The light"--Christ--"shineth in darkness," that is, in the world, "and the darkness comprehended it not. . . . But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." The reason why the unbelieving world are not saved is that they do not choose to be enlightened. The old nature, born of blood and the will of the flesh, cannot inherit the kingdom of God. The old ways, the hereditary tendencies, the former habits, must be given up; for grace is not inherited. The new birth consists in having new motives, new tastes, new tendencies. Those who are begotten unto a new life by the Holy Spirit, have become partakers of the divine nature, and in all their habits and practices, they will give evidence of their relationship to Christ. When men who claim to be Christians retain all their natural defects of character and disposition, in what does their position differ from that of the worldling? They do not appreciate the truth as a sanctifier, a refiner. They have not been born again. {RH, April 12, 1892 par. 9}

The command, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect," would never have been given, if every provision had not been made whereby we may become as perfect in our sphere as God is in his. We are to be ever advancing from light to a greater light, holding fast what we have already received, and praying for more. Thus we shall never be left in darkness. {RH, April 12, 1892 par. 10}

A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong. {Mar 237}

I believe the Holy Spirit reveals “every spot of defilement” to people before they consent to experience rebirth. Which is right and fair. Why would sincere, intelligent, conscientious people consent to something before learning what is required of them? Only a fool dives into a pool before checking how deep it is. The idea that the Holy Spirit purposely refuses to reveal certain sinful habits and practices to people before they experience rebirth because He fears it may cause them to reject rebirth resembles the tactics of a shady used car salesman. Do you agree?

Quote:
M: "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." What does it mean to "overcome" as Christ "overcame"? Does it mean gradually discovering and crucifying the sinful habits and practices the Holy Spirit chose not to reveal when they initially experienced rebirth?

T: It means to overcome by faith.

Overcome what? Did Jesus overcome practicing sinful habits? Of course not! Overcoming as Jesus overcame can only mean successfully depending on God to recognize and resist the temptations thrown at us from within (the unholy thoughts and feelings generated and communicated by sinful flesh nature) and from without (outside evil influences). Do you agree?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132633
04/12/11 04:39 PM
04/12/11 04:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Once again, we started out the discussion with me saying that no person could do good works apart from God's help. You disagreed with this, saying that an atheist, for example (this was your example) could independently do good works. You quoted from the SOP, the statement that a selfish heart could perform generous actions, to support your view. Afterward you cited a statement from the SOP which contradicted your view, and supported my view, which said that man cannot do good works without a power outside of himself. So what I said was verified, and what you said was contradicted, but you've yet to recognize this.

M: I believe people who possess unsanctified human faculties are capable of experiencing "righteousnesses" without the renewing, regenerating power of Christ. For example, they feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy.

T: I didn't speak to this. Please address the point I made.

The point I made above is key to understanding my answer to your question (which is continued below). I do not believe the two different types of quotes I posted contradict each other; instead, I believe they compliment each other. See how below.

Quote:
M: Ellen wrote:

Quote:

M: The difference has to do with whether or not their "righteousnesses" honor and glorify God. The only way their "righteousnesses" is the result of saving faith is if they have experienced rebirth and are abiding in Jesus and are partaking of the divine nature. All other "righteousnesses are as filthy rags" even though Jesus labels them "righteousnesses".

T: 1. I stated that a person can only do good works by God's assistance. 2. You argued against this idea. 3. You produced a statement from the SOP stating that man cannot do good works apart from an outside power. This agrees with what I was asserting!

I attempted to explain why I believe only the “righteousnesses” performed by born-again believers honors and glorifies God. It appears you took that to mean I believe unbelievers are incapable of performing “righteousnesses” without God’s help. However, I agree with Ellen that “a selfish heart may perform generous actions . . . may produce a well-ordered life . . . avoid the appearance of evil . . . without the renewing power of Christ.” Nevertheless, their “righteousnesses” count as “filthy rags” because it does not honor and glorify God. Which is not too say feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy is evil. It is obviously good.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132638
04/12/11 08:13 PM
04/12/11 08:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, people are born with an instinctive knowledge of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments.

You mean perfectly, right? So there's no need for the Holy Spirit to educate any person regarding any aspect of any of the last six commandments, or anyone else either. Parents don't need to teach their children that it's wrong to steal, or lie, or anything (unless it relates to the first four commandments).

Quote:
This applies to immoral dress. However, morality in dress has evolved (or devolved) since Ellen last wrote about it. Most people no longer consider it immoral for women to wear pants. However, most people agree certain styles of pants are immoral.

So not dressing according to whatever you had in mind when you mentioned it wouldn't be a sin.

Quote:
I believe people know instinctively, at least initially, before they sear their conscience, it is wrong to indulge the kinds of things you listed above. You seem to think they are clueless until they learn the truth about it through Bible study and prayer.

You think this is people's DNA? One's parents, teachers, friends, relatives, and even God play no part whatsoever in educating any person about anything regarding right and wrong, except in regards to certain things involving God.

This seems rather extreme to me. I don't know why you would think this.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #132642
04/12/11 09:39 PM
04/12/11 09:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You wrote, “If any person does good works, it is by God's help. No person can do good works independently of God.”

This is what Ellen White wrote, isn't it? (using "outside power" to refer to God's power).

Quote:
Obviously “any person” and “no person” can only be referring to the only two classes of people that exist on our planet, namely, those who have experienced rebirth and those who have not experienced rebirth.

Or those who have teeth and don't have teeth. Or those who have blue cars and those who don't. Or those who speak French and those who don't.

You're making any arbitrary designation here is the point.

Quote:
People who do not experience rebirth possess unsanctified human faculties. Therefore, your words above can only mean you believe people, like avowed atheists, who possess unsanctified human faculties, are capable of responding to God’s help, allowing the Holy Spirit to unite their unsanctified human faculties and divine power, thus enabling people to perform good works.

Or, by the same token, using the same invalid logic, one could argue that my words mean that those who don't have teeth are capable of responding to God's help, etc.

Quote:
The only way your words above can mean anything else is if you are excluding people who have not experienced rebirth. But clearly the context of our discussion disallows this possibility. What I don’t understand is why you are unwilling to admit it.

Your logic here is completely invalid. What I said is what the SOP said, that a person cannot do good works apart from an outside power. Your reasoning is just wrong here. I said no person can do a given thing except if a given condition applies. *All* that can be inferred from this is that if the given condition doesn't apply, then no person can do that given thing. That's is. You can't properly infer anything about any subclass of people, except in regards to the given condition.

Quote:
T: You're talking about the two "fors" in the same sentence? For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God..." Sure, these are connected. Everybody agrees with this.

I’m talking about the connection I made between all the verses I linked above. Do you agree? Or, do you believe verses 15 thru 17 contain three separate thoughts, a separate and unrelated thought for each verse?

Here's what the New Century Version has:

Quote:
16 I am not ashamed of the Good News, because it is the power God uses to save everyone who believes—to save the Jews first, and then to save non-Jews. 17 The Good News shows how God makes people right with himself—that it begins and ends with faith. As the Scripture says, "But those who are right with God will live by faith."

All People Have Done Wrong

18 God's anger is shown from heaven against all the evil and wrong things people do. By their own evil lives they hide the truth.19 God shows his anger because some knowledge of him has been made clear to them. Yes, God has shown himself to them.20

No "fors." The NIV, and some other versions, don't have the "for" in vs. 18 either.

Surely there's some connection in Paul's thinking, as he has a plan in mind. So the statements aren't completely disconnected, but he's not making an argument about people who used to have faith, but no longer do.

Quote:
T: 1. I stated that a person can only do good works by God's assistance. 2. You argued against this idea. 3. You produced a statement from the SOP stating that man cannot do good works apart from an outside power. This agrees with what I was asserting!

M:I attempted to explain why I believe only the “righteousnesses” performed by born-again believers honors and glorifies God.

No, you didn't. This wasn't brought up until later.

Quote:
It appears you took that to mean I believe unbelievers are incapable of performing “righteousnesses” without God’s help.

What happened is I said that no one can do good works apart from God, and you disputed this, and then produced a quote from Ellen White agreeing with what I said.

Quote:
However, I agree with Ellen that “a selfish heart may perform generous actions . . . may produce a well-ordered life . . . avoid the appearance of evil . . . without the renewing power of Christ.”

Do you agree with her (and me) that no one can do good works independently of God?

Quote:
Nevertheless, their “righteousnesses” count as “filthy rags” because it does not honor and glorify God.

It's the other way around. Their "righteousness" are as filthy rags, not being wrought in faith, and so, therefore, do not honor and glorify God. But this is besides the point, as this wasn't being discussed at the time I asked for the clarification.

Quote:
Which is not too say feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy is evil. It is obviously good.

You mean good as in good works?

Page 33 of 40 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 39 40

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!