HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,186
Posts195,505
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 17
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (Kevin H, TruthinTypes, Wendell Slattery, Daryl, ProdigalOne, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,078 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 2 of 35 1 2 3 4 34 35
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Rosangela] #132923
04/25/11 08:06 PM
04/25/11 08:06 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
This was fulfilled in the events which culminated in 1844. Ellen White doesn't use the future tense - you do.

How about, "These relate to future events which will be disclosed in their order"? In addition, I believe most anything Ellen White said relate to time after 1844.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Rosangela] #132934
04/25/11 10:52 PM
04/25/11 10:52 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
You're in the majority Rosangela. Most of the church thinks when Ellen White says "These relate to future events which will be disclosed. . . " she is talking about the past! You confirm my point that these plain statements I've posted are as obscure to many of us as the prophecies regarding the first Advent of Christ were obscure to the Jews.

One of the reasons for this state of affairs is that many of us discount statements that don't support our views. I put this little compilation together hoping that some would see the internal consistency in EGWhite's statements; when you put them together rather than taking them in isolation and discounting them, the evidence is overwhelming that she believed and taught that much more of Daniel and Revelation applies now and to the future than what the church allows.

I bring this up because the destiny of the church is at stake. I believe she is correct in stating that a clearer understanding of Daniel and Revelation will be the means of the final revival leading to the latter rain and the return of Christ. If the view of the church on the prophecies contained in these two books was accurate she wouldn't make such an assertion. But as the scripture states, Laodicea believes it knows and understands all of the essential truths contained in the prophecies notwithstanding the testimony of Christ and the prophets to the contrary. We feign humility but refuse to be taught.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #132937
04/25/11 11:38 PM
04/25/11 11:38 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mark and kland,
I don't see the double fulfillment of time prophecies as having a basis. If you think that the seven trumpets, in the same way as the plagues, weren't yet fulfilled, and that they probably will have a future fulfillment, this is OK to me. What I don't see as OK is saying that they had a historic fulfillment but will have also a future fulfillment. This is mixing historicism with futurism. Like when it is said that the 1260 days are both 1260 years in the past and 1260 days in the future. This is completely inconsistent. Still worse, it smells like Ford's apotelesmatic principle.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #132944
04/26/11 09:38 AM
04/26/11 09:38 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Mark, I agree with your realization, and its practical Church implication, here that much more can be learned for an application in our day from the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation. In fact my blog deals with many of the SOP quotes you have referred to, also exegetically delving into their elucidating Biblical context. So you may find many of my blog posts pertinently helpful here. (The cited Post Titles/Subjects/Bible|SOP reference should suffice in finding the pertinent posts, if you have any specific reference question let me know.

As a most thematically pertinent starter, I would recommend the “Unrolling of the Scroll” (Rev 5|Dan 10-12|Rev 10-11) post which stemmed from EGW’s ‘Mark of the Beast further understanding’ statement in GCDB, March 2, 1899 par. 3 (cf. 6T 17 (1900)). (You can comment on my blog posts in this discussion forum.)

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Rosangela] #132946
04/26/11 12:31 PM
04/26/11 12:31 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
This is mixing historicism with futurism.
Might want to define those terms.

Quote:
Like when it is said that the 1260 days are both 1260 years in the past and 1260 days in the future. This is completely inconsistent. Still worse, it smells like Ford's apotelesmatic principle.

Are there one or two 1260s? I believe there is only one 1290 and 1335. But, could there be two 1260s? If the 1290 relates to the 1260 and the 1290 applies to the future, and we know the 1260 applies to the past, then could it mean there are two 1260s?

And if the 1290 doesn't apply to the future, then what part of Daniel 12 "is a warning that we shall all need to understand before the time of the end"?

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #132951
04/26/11 03:17 PM
04/26/11 03:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This is mixing historicism with futurism.
Quote:

Might want to define those terms.

In the historicist view, there is a figurative interpretation of the time periods of eschatological prophecies (a day for a year). Thus, these prophecies have a long-range nature. In the futurist view, there is a literal interpretation of the time periods of eschatological prophecies (a day for a day). Thus, these prophecies have a short-range nature. For historicists, all eschatological time-prophecies have already been fulfilled; for futurists, none of them has been fulfilled yet. It’s obvious that both methods are incompatible and can’t be mixed. You must have a standard to interpret eschatological time periods – either literally or figuratively; it can’t be both.

Quote:
But, could there be two 1260s?

Even if there were two, either both would have to be literal, or both figurative.

Quote:
If the 1290 relates to the 1260 and the 1290 applies to the future

Why would it apply to the future?

Quote:
And if the 1290 doesn't apply to the future, then what part of Daniel 12 "is a warning that we shall all need to understand before the time of the end"?

The passage says:

The people of God need to study what characters they must form in order to pass through the test and proving of the last days. Many are living in spiritual weakness and backsliding. They know not what they believe. Let us read and study the twelfth chapter of Daniel. It is a warning that we shall all need to understand before the time of the end. There are ministers claiming to believe the truth who are not sanctified through the truth. Unless a change comes in their lives, they will say, "My Lord delayeth His coming." {15MR 228.2}

To me, Ellen White is referring simply to "the test and proving" of character that will occur before/during the time of trouble mentioned in v. 1, 10. The emphasis in the passage is not time periods, but character.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Rosangela] #132953
04/26/11 03:52 PM
04/26/11 03:52 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Roseangela: I agree in part with your understanding here. Namely that post 1844 there are no longer applicable time elements in any prophecy that may be fulfilled, even spiritually re-fulfilled post 1844 as per the clear SOP statements towards this. However, as just stated, I indeed do not see that this precludes a typological/spiritual re-fulfillment of the prophecy, as it is seen with the three ways of fulfillment in Christ’s Olivet discourse. The book of revelation also has a Literal (Chapter 2&3), Historical (ca. 4-13:10) and Eschatological (13:11-21) [Ch. 22 = post GC] waves of fulfillment, however, as I substantively see it, certain parts in the other waves can have partial/typological/spiritual fulfillment in the current waves when/as the prophetic/development need/reality is.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: NJK Project] #132956
04/26/11 08:30 PM
04/26/11 08:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
NJK,

Yes, some prophecies may have a double fulfillment, but not prophecies with a time element, specially if this forces you to use two different systems of interpretation, for these systems of interpretation are mutually exclusive. For instance, Ford defends multiple fulfillments, but for this he had to abandon historicism and opt for preterism.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Rosangela] #132963
04/26/11 10:35 PM
04/26/11 10:35 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Rosangela,

I actually would not see a problem of having a double fulfillment of a time prophecy with one (i.e., the historical) having a symbolic day for a year time and the eschatological having a literal day understanding. That is because the two fulfillements don’t have to literally be the same. They just come to involve the same Spiritual elements which equally lead to matching applicable fulfillments. The only reason why I do not see this as Biblical, indeed contrary to even some SDA preachers/expositors, are because of the SOP’s many, clear and unequivocal “I was shown” statements opposing this for eschatological prophecies. (E.g., 2SM 73 (1885), 10MR 270 (1888); 272 (1891); 7BC 971 (1900); cf. LDE 35-36; RH, November 1, 1850 par. 12; cf. RH, Nov. 22, 1892 par. 7.) Clearly God wanted to make this clear. (Interestingly enough a literal time fulfillment would be seen in a local/literal fulfillment wave, however the time elements prophecies in Revelation’s prophecies don’t have such fulfillments, and also no time element was found in Christ’s Olivet discourse which did have this Local/Literal fulfillment.).

However, as expounded upon in this post for the “42 months element” of Rev 11:2, I do see that the fulfillment of a Historical time element in a prophecy, if the prophecy as a whole is eschatologically re-fulfilled, can come to indicate a key aspect of how to expect to see that eschatological fulfillment. (I.e., for Rev 11:2, the “42 months” = Rev 13:5 fulfillment which were historically fulfilled in the time when the Catholic Church having was allowed to have power to act, even over God’s People/Truth. So, as I have shown in that post, the Two Witnesses prophecies has an eschatological fulfillment which parallels, especially thematically the Historical fulfillment, but no symbolic or literal time element is involved. Only a Spiritual indication is provided by that time element for its Eschatological fulfillment.

My Theological understanding, also based upon my understanding of God and the Future for this ‘no calculative/“reckonable” time in Eschatological prophecies is that (a) God now expects his people to live according to the prophetic faith that the Historical time fulfillments have provided and (b) Christ’s coming could, in the Eschatological Wave, occur imminently, i.e., at any moment (as I understand it, based on Rev 8:1 & EW 16 (see Note #1 in here), within half a day), whenever, either the work will be finished or when, in an extreme, possible, emergency, there could be a development where the lives of God’s faithful remnant people is decidedly and capably threatened (however, as God’s Prescient Wisdom “knows”, this is not likely to occur without all predicted Final events which end up in this “Death Decree” to first unravel as “planned”). So any of these time elements would be cut short, or even extended if those final events had not yet be fully unravelled or begun to develop. (I know that Classic Foreknoweldge subscribers see that God has already seen the Future and symbolocially related it, I however see that God has “prognosticated” what is likely to happen and set out the best plan for this to be developed in a GC context, and Eschatologically, where the utter end will come, it will be the natural passions and will of man, especially when “influenced” by the released Four Winds, which will come to self determine this end, and all of this will be a direct counteracting reaction to/against the increasing success of the Church in spreading the Final Gospel message.

The key in the Eschatological Age/Wave of prophecy is acting in Faith to Finish God’s Work and not by “faithlessly/basely seeking a sign” (Matt 16:1-4), in a time to be fulfilled, as many rebellious SDA’s (e.g., David Gates, even Doug Batchelor priorly, to a certain predictive point (see details of both in this blog post) have spuriously tried to claim/do.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: NJK Project] #132978
04/27/11 01:50 PM
04/27/11 01:50 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
In the historicist view, there is a figurative interpretation of the time periods of eschatological prophecies (a day for a year). Thus, these prophecies have a long-range nature. In the futurist view, there is a literal interpretation of the time periods of eschatological prophecies (a day for a day). Thus, these prophecies have a short-range nature. For historicists, all eschatological time-prophecies have already been fulfilled; for futurists, none of them has been fulfilled yet. It’s obvious that both methods are incompatible and can’t be mixed. You must have a standard to interpret eschatological time periods – either literally or figuratively; it can’t be both.
Guess I was mistaken and should have asked you to contrast Preterism with Futurism. I had to look it up and saw there was a difference, though not sure exactly, with historicism. The way I understand it is that papacy was disturbed by how the scriptures (Daniel 7) pointed to them. So they got jesuit Ribera to come up with futurism, which took the 1260 years and said, that's 3.5 years and is way far in the future. At the same time, jesuit Alcazar came up with preterism which took the 1260 years and said, no, no, that's 3.5 years and it's way in the past. That is, anything to say it didn't cover the Protestant's interpretation of Daniel 7.

Quote:
Quote:
But, could there be two 1260s?

Even if there were two, either both would have to be literal, or both figurative.
Would you be saying that once a number is interpreted all occurrences of the number mean the same?

Quote:

Quote:
If the 1290 relates to the 1260 and the 1290 applies to the future

Why would it apply to the future?
How do you conclude it doesn't? It is first listed in chapter 12, so you can't say it's been interpreted to mean the past elsewhere and so has to be the same here.

Quote:
Quote:

The passage says:

The people of God need to study what characters they must form in order to pass through the test and proving of the last days. Many are living in spiritual weakness and backsliding. They know not what they believe. Let us read and study the twelfth chapter of Daniel. It is a warning that we shall all need to understand before the time of the end. There are ministers claiming to believe the truth who are not sanctified through the truth. Unless a change comes in their lives, they will say, "My Lord delayeth His coming." {15MR 228.2}

To me, Ellen White is referring simply to "the test and proving" of character that will occur before/during the time of trouble mentioned in v. 1, 10. The emphasis in the passage is not time periods, but character.
The time of trouble happens in the future, right?

Page 2 of 35 1 2 3 4 34 35

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:23 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 03/15/24 08:53 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
How tall were Adam and Eve?
by dedication. 02/28/24 07:30 PM
Hebrew word YOM or yowm meaning?
by dedication. 02/26/24 05:42 AM
The Book of Job
by teresaq. 02/22/24 04:43 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by kland. 03/05/24 01:37 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Daryl. 02/29/24 11:21 AM
Should Walter Veight have preached this sermon?
by dedication. 02/21/24 05:28 PM
Labor Unions and Adventist
by Rick H. 02/20/24 01:59 PM
Spiritualism: Across The Gulf...
by Rick H. 02/20/24 01:52 PM
Samuele Bacchiocchi & Recent Article Concerns
by dedication. 02/20/24 01:39 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!