HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 80 of 105 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #132981
04/27/11 01:55 PM
04/27/11 01:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: I agree that nothing happens by fate. I disagree that nothing happens by chance. If Jesus, or God, permits something to occur which happens by chance, that doesn't mean that the thing permitted to occur did not happen by chance. I believe there are things which happen by chance. For example, tossing a fair coin is an example. By chance it will be heads or tails. Many such examples could be given.

M: Do you believe Jesus is free to choose between such options as preventing death and destruction or permitting it, that He takes everything and everyone into consideration and then decides whether to prevent or permit death and destruction, that the choice is His?

T: You're mixing too many things together here, and then asking a yes or no question. That's not cricket. I think all evil is not the choice of Jesus Christ, and evil only occurs when beings choose to act contrary to His will.

M: Or, do you believe chance dictates whether or not He is free to choose between preventing or permitting death and destruction?

T: Things happen by chance, if that's what you mean.

M: Is Christ in control or is chance?

T: Things happen by chance, if that's what you're asking. Again, chance being in control isn't a logical construct.

M: If God is not in control of sinners, who, then, is protecting them?

T: By "in control of" I assume you mean "controlling." Or do you mean something else? If by "in control of" you mean "protecting," then I may agree with what you mean, if not what you're saying. That is, I certainly agree that God is protecting sinners.

M: Do you believe God is not in control of sinners?

T: Not when they sin.

M: If so, and I assume you do, what do you mean by it?

T: I mean that sinners, when they sin, choose to exercise their free will to act contrary to the will of Jesus Christ.

Yes, of course, sinners are free to choose to sin. But I’m referring to the resulting outcomes, consequences. For example, N&A were free to choose to employ strange fire. The various outcomes, consequences of their choice was entirely up to Jesus – not chance, not sin, not Satan. Jesus chose to employ fire to burn them alive. So far, you have refused to say who or what employed the fire that killed them.

Quote:
M: As for me, I believe Jesus is, as sovereign Lord and King, ultimately in control of the outcome of the great controversy – not sin, not sinners, and not Satan.

T: The Great Controversy is not a contest that can be decided by sovereignty; it's decided by evidence. God has been accused of certain things, things involving His character and the principles of His government. To make His case that He has been unjustly accused, God has chosen to allow things to play out, that His character may be seen in contrast with that of His accuser, as well as the principles of His government in contrast to the principles of his adversary's government.

M: That is, sin does not determine how the GC will play out, neither do sinners, nor does Satan.

T: Sinners and Satan have a part, as do all sentient beings.

M: Whether or not this or that choice plays out this or that way is entirely up to Jesus - not sin, not sinners, and not Satan.

T: No, this isn't the case. When a rapist chooses to rape, and that plays out in a rape victim being raped, that's not "entirely up to Jesus." You don't see the problem in asserting this?

M: True, His options are limited. He isn’t free to manage the outcome irrespective of the choice. For example, Jesus wasn’t free to manage Judas’ choice to betray Him in a way that would result in him sitting on the right or left hand of Jesus in the New Jerusalem.

T: This doesn't seem to be a related point to the discussion.

Whether or not this or that choice plays out this or that way is entirely up to Jesus - not sin, not sinners, and not Satan. Evil choices usually end in evil consequences. Exactly which evil consequence plays out is up to Jesus. Not that He makes it play out that way. But He does manage things so that they do not play out some other way. He either causes, commands, or permits.

Quote:
M: Yes, Satan is in control of what God permits, but he is not free to do as he pleases, otherwise, as you say, he would destroy everyone and everything.

T: This is a bad misstatement here, IMO. Let's say you have a child, but don't permit that child to stay out past 2:00am. Would it be fair for you to say that your child is not free to do as (s)he pleases?

M: Children are, of course, free to disobey their parents and stay out as late they please. However, there would be consequences after the fact. But in the case of evil angels, things are very much different. Jesus cannot afford to punish them after the fact, especially as it relates to hurting us or tempting us beyond Jesus’ established limits. He must impose limits on them and then work to enforce His limits to guarantee they do not ever, ever disobey. In this sense, evil angels are not free; indeed, they are very much shackled.

T: To state that evil angels never disobey Jesus Christ is not a fair accusation to make upon Christ. Of course they disobey Him, whenever they do evil. To think that evil angels are shackled so they only obey Christ's will is, I'm having difficulty coming up with words that aren't too strong here, I'll just say not fair to Christ. Also, it's not fair to them, as well, as, if they are not to a great extent free to do their will, then the Great Controversy is a sham. Finally, if they are not free to do their will, how do you explain the evil there is in the world?

As explained above, Jesus is in control – not sin, not sinners, and not Satan. Evil angels are only as free as Jesus allows. 1 Cor 10:13 is an example.

Quote:
M: It’s not a question of whether or not God is innocent; it’s a question of whether or not He is in control.

T: The big question is if God is innocent, as God has been accused, and the Great Controversy in effect for this purpose.

M: Of course He is innocent. He created free moral agents. They are free to obey and live or disobey and die. If they choose to sin and rebel, they are, ultimately, choosing capital punishment.

T: Neither Scripture nor the SOP state that by choosing sin they choose capital punishment. Both state that if they choose sin they are choosing death. The SOP states that the inevitable result of sin is death. If evil comes about as a result of God's controlling actions, then He is not innocent of its happening.

M: Jesus established the laws regulating capital punishment.

T: How do you know they didn't already exist? That is, that they weren't already a part of the culture of the Hebrews and their contemporaries?

M: He commanded godly people like Moses to kill ungodly people. In final judgment, the radiant glory of God’s person and presence will cause the wicked to suffer in duration and intensity proportionate to their sinfulness. The presence of God’s radiant glory is required for the wicked to experience the emotional and physical suffering that ends in eternal death, otherwise, they would merely live and die as they did before Jesus resurrected them.

T: I'm sorry you feel this way. DA 764 tells us that if God had allowed Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished, but it would not have been apparent that the inevitable result of sin is death. I'm sorry you don't see the relationship between sin and death. I think not seeing this connections leads to many errors, all of which portray God negatively.

Jesus established the laws regulating capital punishment. It doesn’t matter if such laws existed. And, the connection between sin and eternal death is real. Sin and sinners cannot abide in the presence of God. The radiant light of His glory consumes sinners with their sins. You seem to think it is sin, not the light of God’s radiant glory, that will consume sinners in final judgment.

Quote:
T: I assume you mean that from my perspective, the mechanism matters, if sincere seekers of truth wrongly conclude that Jesus employs fire to burn people alive. If this is what you mean, I still don't agree that the mechanism matters. I believe it's the principle that matters. A sincere seeker of truth, from my perspective, will not make conclusions about the mechanism involved which are not in harmony with God's character or the principles of His government, if he gets the principles right.

M: What would they conclude? Would it suffice them to know Jesus didn’t burn them alive? Thus satisfied it wouldn’t occur to them to care who or what caused the fire that burned them alive?

T: I don't think it matters much to one who is convinced in regards to God's character. For example, let's say someone is killed in your house by a fire. It's possible that your wife set them on fire and burned them alive. But you know your wife, and know she isn't capable of that sort of behavior. So how did the person die? Insofar as your wife's setting them on fire is concerned, you don't much care, because you know however the person died, it wasn't because your wife set them on fire.

Did my wife withdraw her protection and permit her enemies to burn them alive? You seem to think it doesn’t matter.

Quote:
M: In the case of N&A, the fire blazed out from the presence of God in the most holy place. And, in the case of the two bands of fifty, fire rained down from God in heaven. To say Jesus simply withdrew His protection and permitted (you have yet to say who) to cause fire to burn them alive begs the question – Why were His enemies in the most holy places in heaven and earth?

T: I disagree that it begs this question.

M: Does it matter to you, Tom, where Jesus’ enemies were when He, according to you, permitted them to make fire blaze out from the presence of God in the most holy place and burn them alive? It matters very much to me. That’s why I believe Jesus employed fire to burn them alive.

T: I addressed this just above, in the illustration about your wife setting people on fire.

Who did Jesus permit to employ the fire that killed them? Please don’t say it doesn’t matter. Please answer this question.

Quote:
T: You didn't answer my question. I'll repeat it. Satan is free to do his will, to a great degree, which is evident in looking at our world. He has to be free to do as he pleases in order for there to be a Great Controversy. This agrees with your understanding, doesn't it?

M: No, I disagree. Satan is not free to do as he pleases.

T: Then there's no Great Controversy. If God does His will, and Satan does God's will, there's no controversy at all; there's only God's will. If all that happens is God's will, that begs the question of what sort of God would will the sort of horror we see on this planet?

M: Jesus is in control of the outcome of our choices. He doesn’t leave it up to Satan to decide how best to punish evildoers. True, in the case of Job, Jesus left it up to Satan to decide, within very strict perimeters, what to do. However, in the cases of the wicked, Jesus does not leave it up to Satan.

T: This seems a bit confused, in regards to the subject of discussion here. Are you talking about the final judgment? If not, none of this really makes sense. The punishment of the wicked isn't until the resurrection. If you're talking about the final judgment, then it doesn't make sense to suggest that Jesus Christ leaves their punishment up to Satan. That's just a red herring.

M: “The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. . . Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {1SP 84.3}

T: Scripture, and the SOP, often present God as doing that which He permits.

The GC concerns us as much as it does God. Jesus will not let Satan tempt us beyond His ability to empower us to resist. This ensures the GC is fair. Very clearly Satan is not free to do whatever he’d like to do. He must obtain permission from Jesus to tempt us or to harm us. What happens is by permission. There are times, though, when Jesus Himself acts to punish impenitent sinners. Ellen wrote: “The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. . . Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {1SP 84.3}

Quote:
T: We're going around in circles here. What I have said over and over again, dozens of times, is that to understand these event one must *first* (I emphasize "first" here, as in, before, or previous to) have a correct understanding of God's character. From my perspective, your misunderstanding the events because you're misunderstanding God's character. I believe you perceive the events in a way that in contrary to that which Jesus Christ revealed, and hence, even the questions you ask don't make sense. You and I completely disagree in regards to what's the cart and the horse here. What I think you think is that to correctly understand God's character, it's necessary to consider these events you're asking questions about in addition to considering the life and character of Jesus Christ, and then add these together, and this combination gives a correct understanding of God's character. What I'm saying is first Christ, then look at the other. As opposed to, look at Christ and the other events both at the same time.

M: We’ve tried doing it your way, Tom.

T: No, we never have. You've always injected your agenda into the discussion. My way would be to consider the character of Christ on its own merits. You just ask questions like, "How did Christ's character reveal why He did this or that thing that I think He did"?

M: However, the discussion died out.

T: It never got started.

M: You ended your discourse on the character of God without explaining why Jesus commanded godly people to kill ungodly people.

T: This was never my agenda; it was yours. "My way," as I stated, would be to examine the character of Christ on its own merits.

M: Is that the fruit of your view of God? If so, it comes woefully short of explaining some very difficult aspects of the Bible.

T: Again, "my way" would be to examiner the character of Jesus Christ on its own merits. The "whole purpose" of His earthly mission was "the revelation of God," which was the only way men could be set right and kept right with God. I think this would be wonderful fruit, don't you?[quote]
Earlier you agreed, even promised, to answer the three questions after establishing what the Father is like through a deep and meaningful study of the life and teachings of Jesus while He was here in the flesh. It was NJK, not me, who interjected comments and questions which caused you to deviate from your lesson. You actually did answer one of the three questions by saying Jesus did indeed withdraw His protection and gave His enemies permission to kill the Jews in 70 AD. However, you never clarified why you believe this counts as Jesus doing it while here in the flesh (as you know Jesus returned to heaven in 31 AD). You have steadfastly refused to answer the other two questions by insisting we need to study the life and teachings of Jesus before we can rightly understand them. It would be nice if you would resume your lesson so we can answer the other two questions.

[quote]M: I’m curious, Tom, do you even believe Jesus commanded Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer to death? I cannot recall you ever answering this question. I get the impression you believe Moses misunderstood what Jesus told him. Please, Tom, don’t go off on a tangent here and ignore directly answering my question. I realize you haven’t said anything specifically about whether or not Moses misunderstood Jesus. So please, don’t use this comment as excuse to ignore answering my question. Please answer it. Thank you.

T: The best way I know to answer your question is with the story of the father of the hunter son. Did the father of the hunter son command his son to do the things he told him to do? What would neighbors who overheard their conversation have thought? Also, do you think Moses knew God and His will as well as Jesus Christ did? Was it Moses' job to perfectly reveal the character of the Father? Isn't it true that God's character was misunderstood until Christ completed His job of revealing it? If so, wouldn't it stand to reason that Moses' understanding of it was imperfect? Can there be any better way of understanding God's character than to examine the life and teachings of Christ? (No, there can't be).

Do you believe it when it says in the Bible that Jesus commanded Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer to death? Or, do you suspect Moses misunderstood what Jesus said? For example, in the Bible it says:

“And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.”

“And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.”

Also, do you think the father teaching his son how to hunt humanely is the same thing as Jesus commanding Moses to stone to death the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? Is hunting animals and killing humans equal in the eyes of God? Did the father command his son to hunt humanely?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #132983
04/27/11 02:06 PM
04/27/11 02:06 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
Tom: I'm sure some of the time you know the text by heart, in which case it would indeed take more of your time to look it up and copy/paste it. However, there may be many people who read these posts, so if there's 10 people who spend a minute to look up the text, this is 10 minutes you could have saved of other people's time by simply quoting it yourself.

Tom: And if there are cases where you look up the text yourself online, it doesn't make any sense at all not to copy/paste it, as you're right there anyway.

NJK: I know I am using those key saved moments from not doing the work of pointedly selecting/copying/special pasting/spacing/numbering/formatting/coding Bible texts [from my Bibleworks] (which people will probably read in their own favorite version) to work on my humanitarian works project, including saving the lives of would be aborted infants. So I consider these more than particularly non-aiding SDAs and also myself here. That procedure is not going to change so no need to try to make an issue out of it. (And it probably would take over 10X more time for me to do so with texts, especially the many texts I cite, than someone looking it up. And saving other people time is a non-factor here as our time is individually, applicably distinct and not cumulative.)
I don't see how that addressed his statements. Why would it take you 10X more time to copy and paste a text right in front of you than it would take for someone to look it up from scratch?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #132985
04/27/11 02:17 PM
04/27/11 02:17 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Also, do you think the father teaching his son how to hunt humanely is the same thing as Jesus commanding Moses to stone to death the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? Is hunting animals and killing humans equal in the eyes of God? Did the father command his son to hunt humanely?
Why do you think that is what Tom is comparing?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #132988
04/27/11 05:03 PM
04/27/11 05:03 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
I don't see how that addressed his statements. Why would it take you 10X more time to copy and paste a text right in front of you than it would take for someone to look it up from scratch?

Re-read what I actually had said kland and you’ll see that it involves much more than simply “copying and pasting.” If you’re familiar with the Bibleworks interface, you’ll understand the added steps involved here, especially as I am first pasting that copied verse it in a Word Processor. That’s the recursive reality that I would have to repeatedly deal with to meet that optional preference of/for Tom.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #132993
04/27/11 06:47 PM
04/27/11 06:47 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
MM: Jesus established the laws regulating capital punishment.

Tom: How do you know they didn't already exist? That is, that they weren't already a part of the culture of the Hebrews and their contemporaries?

-------

MM: Jesus established the laws regulating capital punishment. It doesn’t matter if such laws existed.

It seems Biblically clear to me from Gen 9:5, 6 (NASB) that God Himself instituted Capital Punishment. It may even not have existed as such in the Antediluvian World, and if it did in some form, it was probably purely vindictive, (or merely seen as vindictive) so God here showed that He considered it to be lawful and just. So as Mountain Man said, God later only further regulated it, including the city of refuge provision to make sure that it was always done for a valid reason. And with only 8 people alive on earth when God (formally) instituted it right after the Flood, perhaps in a, at least formally/legally, first instance, then He effectively was saying that this is what He wanted for all those who would descend from these eight people, thus the entire world. At the very least, it shows, as later seen in Formal Israel, that this is what He expects to be the norm amongst His Righteous People.

Also God’s would be, first instance instituting of Capital Punishment is not ‘at odds with Him’ as, as the Bible and SOP clearly state, He was the one who had also made use of ‘brute force War’ to immediately and decidedly settle the initial Battle in the GC conflict in that began in Heaven.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #132995
04/27/11 08:46 PM
04/27/11 08:46 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
Quote:

Re-read what I actually had said kland and you’ll see that it involves much more than simply “copying and pasting.” If you’re familiar with the Bibleworks interface, you’ll understand the added steps involved here, especially as I am first pasting that copied verse it in a Word Processor. That’s the recursive reality that I would have to repeatedly deal with to meet that optional preference of/for Tom.
No, I am not familiar with the Bibleworks interface. Why did you assume I was? I went back and read what you wrote and maybe your verbosity, with which you seem to have no issue in reducing the amount of time spent doing it, and making it harder for others to read and comprehend what you are saying (much like this statement with phrases within phrases), got in the way from you saying you copy and paste in a different way than normal people do. Why, I still do not know. What is so unusual of this interface which makes it so cumbersome to use?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #132997
04/27/11 10:29 PM
04/27/11 10:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
NJK:why don’t you, e.g., at the very least, provide the verse reference where you claim to have seen that “God killed Saul” vs. ‘something to the contrary’!?

kland:MM didn't know there was something contrary to God killing Saul. If I have correctly deciphered your statement, would you be saying you are not aware of a contrary statement either? And if such a statement can be shown, does that mean other places, where you are ignorant of other statements, there could, in fact, be such statements? Taking it further, does that mean not being aware of something doesn't make it false?

NJK:-It is I, NJK Project, who made that comment,

What comment?

Quote:
-I don’t begin to understand what point you are trying to make,

I think I understand kland's point, which I'll explain later.

Quote:
-Tom likely will as he made that comment.

You just said you made the comment.

Quote:
My approach here, as normative, is to first ascertain what the concrete reality is before speculating.

What does this mean? That is, what are you talking about?

Regarding kland's point, you asked me for quotes stating something contrary to the idea that God killed Saul. This could be taken to mean that you weren't aware of any such statements, since you were asking for one to be cited. That was kland's point #1.

Kland's point #2 was that if you weren't aware of any such statements in regards to Saul, then you could also not be aware of other similar statements in regards to other incidents where it says "God did X."

Kland's point #3 was that not being aware of these statements means that the statement you thought was true, the way you were thinking of it, may actually be false.

I'll explain, starting with the statement "God killed Saul." Let's say you're not aware of statements elsewhere explaining that God didn't directly kill Saul, but that he died by some other means (such as taking His own life). The language used, "God did X," sounds as if God did X, when, in reality, God permitted X.

Now if there's some other statement, saying "God did Y," then it's also possible that should also be interpreted "God permitted Y."

You've been arguing all along that since the Bible says "God did X" then that must mean that God did X, as opposed to God's having merely permitted X to occur. We've been pointing out that there are places in Scripture that says "God did X" when, in reality, God permitted X. We've been asking that if in some places in Scripture "God did X" means "God permitted X," why not in others? Also if "God did X" doesn't necessarily mean that God did X, your argument isn't very persuasive.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #132998
04/27/11 10:33 PM
04/27/11 10:33 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: kland
No, I am not familiar with the Bibleworks interface. Why did you assume I was? I went back and read what you wrote and maybe your verbosity, with which you seem to have no issue in reducing the amount of time spent doing it, and making it harder for others to read and comprehend what you are saying (much like this statement with phrases within phrases), got in the way from you saying you copy and paste in a different way than normal people do. Why, I still do not know. What is so unusual of this interface which makes it so cumbersome to use?

-“If” is for a conditional statement, and not a ‘believed assumption.’ I certainly, for manifested reasons, do not see a need to presume that you are experientially familiar with Bibleworks, the leading exegetical Biblical software resource.

-My verbosity, which is distinct from protracted sentences*, is intended to avoid such follow up question, notwithstanding that your question here was unnecessary as I had already stated all that is involved in including the text of verses.

-For the sake of my time I’ll skip detailing what is involved in copying from Bibleworks, especially as this here will not make difference in my opting not to include texts or not.

-To you, and also Tom, do consider this my last response on this side show issue.

-(And if further in doubt, when actually applicable, do try Isa 6:9-13|Matt 13:10-17, among other related texts.)

*My protracted sentences mainly come from the way in which I am responding to certain posts. Proofreading would edit these sentences, however I consider it more worthwhile to use that time to include more substantive/supporting information than ‘cleaning/polishing the outside of a cup’ (cf. Matt 23:25, 26) and that does not seem to be a problem as I get very little requests, even if only valid ones are considered, to edit a incomprehensible sentence. Probably just as much, if not less than for you kland. (Indeed, from what I read from and to you, to the contrary, you seem to expect people to read your mind and/or always comprehend your substituting attempts at “wit” instead of substantive/straightforward statements. And not including the texts of verse also provides me more time to focus on added substantivity.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #132999
04/27/11 10:51 PM
04/27/11 10:51 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: NJK
NJK:why don’t you, e.g., at the very least, provide the verse reference where you claim to have seen that “God killed Saul” vs. ‘something to the contrary’!?

kland:MM didn't know there was something contrary to God killing Saul. If I have correctly deciphered your statement, would you be saying you are not aware of a contrary statement either? And if such a statement can be shown, does that mean other places, where you are ignorant of other statements, there could, in fact, be such statements? Taking it further, does that mean not being aware of something doesn't make it false?

NJK:-It is I, NJK Project, who made that comment,

What comment?

Quote:
-I don’t begin to understand what point you are trying to make,

I think I understand kland's point, which I'll explain later.

Quote:
-Tom likely will as he made that comment.

You just said you made the comment.

Quote:
My approach here, as normative, is to first ascertain what the concrete reality is before speculating.

What does this mean? That is, what are you talking about?

Regarding kland's point, you asked me for quotes stating something contrary to the idea that God killed Saul. This could be taken to mean that you weren't aware of any such statements, since you were asking for one to be cited. That was kland's point #1.

Kland's point #2 was that if you weren't aware of any such statements in regards to Saul, then you could also not be aware of other similar statements in regards to other incidents where it says "God did X."

Kland's point #3 was that not being aware of these statements means that the statement you thought was true, the way you were thinking of it, may actually be false.

I'll explain, starting with the statement "God killed Saul." Let's say you're not aware of statements elsewhere explaining that God didn't directly kill Saul, but that he died by some other means (such as taking His own life). The language used, "God did X," sounds as if God did X, when, in reality, God permitted X.

Now if there's some other statement, saying "God did Y," then it's also possible that should also be interpreted "God permitted Y."

You've been arguing all along that since the Bible says "God did X" then that must mean that God did X, as opposed to God's having merely permitted X to occur. We've been pointing out that there are places in Scripture that says "God did X" when, in reality, God permitted X. We've been asking that if in some places in Scripture "God did X" means "God permitted X," why not in others? Also if "God did X" doesn't necessarily mean that God did X, your argument isn't very persuasive.

It is quite hilariously LOL comical Tom to see that you have time for such spurious and irrelevant issues which substantively do absolutely nothing to validate your view since, now that you’ve cited your reference, it has been exegetically by that fact that a Hiphil has been used. Take such time to try to deal with that substantive reality instead. All of those hypothetical and philosophical arguments, factually mean/resolve nothing. And you wonder why I can only see that Matt 23:23, 24 fully applies to your case.

And after such an elaborate intervention for kland’s view which he did not bother to defend, what makes you think that your right. Perhaps kland realized that it was a moot point following my provided exegetical element. Indeed your indirect view is thus far based on now two refuted examples (Saul & the Wilderness Serpents, which actually uses a Piel stems to say that ‘God sent the serpents’ (Num 21:6) so, As I exegetically see it, at a certain level, EGW may not have the precise understanding here. Indeed serpents do not usually attack unless they feel threatened so God may have also injected a default “threatened notion” in their “minds”.)

And reread kland’s post carefully to see ‘what comment’ I was referring to.

It is either you think I will come to be swayed or impressed by your emphasis on the peripherals or you really do believe that they being to be paramount and/or determinative in any way. As a serious warning, which can be quite time saving for you, from now on, I will only address what is actually substantive points in your post, indeed as my present time agenda requires it. You’re no the less free to comment on anything you like, just don’t expect an answer from me.

Last edited by NJK Project; 04/27/11 11:14 PM.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #133001
04/27/11 11:53 PM
04/27/11 11:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I know I am using those key saved moments from not doing the work of pointedly selecting/copying/special pasting/spacing/numbering/formatting/coding Bible texts [from my Bibleworks] (which people will probably read in their own favorite version) to work on my humanitarian works project, including saving the lives of would be aborted infants. So I consider these more than particularly non-aiding SDAs and also myself here. That procedure is not going to change so no need to try to make an issue out of it. (And it probably would take over 10X more time for me to do so with texts, especially the many texts I cite, than someone looking it up. And saving other people time is a non-factor here as our time is individually, applicably distinct and not cumulative.)

How long did it take to type this? You could have copied and pasted 10 texts in the amount of time it took you to explain why you don't take the time to copy/paste texts. When you add the other times you've been explaining why you don't copy/paste, it could be a hundred texts you could have copied/pasted. If 10 people are reading this posts, and it takes a minute to read each one, that's 1000 minutes, over 16 hours, that could have been saved.

Think of all the trees that could have been saved.

Quote:
Applicably citing Matt 23:24 or anyone other such factual comments of Christ such as ‘blind” are not insults. Sorry you can’t “see” (pun intended) the applicable fact here. And to render moot the “reaction”, become conscious of the offensive “action” and seek to avoid it. As I said before, I don’t suffer for, or “take it” for other peoples misdeeds or errors, especially when baseless and/or indifferent, (cf. John 18:22, 23), except when paramountly, Spiritually purposeful (Matt 26:59-63ff; 27:12-14).

The "oh yeah" is where the sarcasm is made most clear.

Quote:
T:Don't you think that engaging in a discussion of spiritual matters should be a pleasant activity?

NJK:It is indeed because of the Great Spiritual implications of this discussion, at least possibly, that such quibblingly majoring on minor issues indeed upsets and annoys me. I know I am not merely aiming to ‘have a good time” here but to get at that achievable absolute Truth. (Cf. 1 Sam 17:28-30).

If this is your goal, you should address others respectfully and treat them kindly, and with consideration.

Quote:
So the ignoring of exegesis, especially from those who can, or should be able to, engage it, is moreoverly more “mystifying” to me.

Rather than complaining over and over again in a vague way which cannot possibly be addressed, you could simply state whatever point it is you think is being ignored.

Quote:
1 Chron 10:14 uses a Hiphil tense to say “killed”, meaning that God’s killing action would be ‘indirect and mediated’. So by God not doing anything to protect Saul’s life in that war, as he normatively did when any Israelite went out to fight, and then with Saul being captured and about to be put to death, before he pre-empted this and did it himself, there, exegetically is no contradiction here. 1 Chron 10:14 already was indicating that this would be done through an indirect and mediated action of God.

If the indication of the grammar was that God was doing something indirectly, then some translation should have made reference to this. I'll cite a few:

Quote:
therefore he slew him KJV
therefore He killed him NKJV
therefore He killed him NASB
He putteth him to death YLT
por esta causa lo mató Reina-Valera Antigua
alors l'Éternel le fit mourir Louis Segond
pelo que ele o matou João Ferreira de Almeida Atualizada
per questo il Signore lo fece morire Conferenza Episcopale Italiana

Regarding hiphil:

Quote:
One of the binyanim or forms of Hebrew verbs. Often the hiphil has a causative meaning e.g. "to make someone do something"

www.bible.gen.nz/amos/glossary/hiphil.htm

Quote:
According to Jenni, the Piel signifies "to bring about a state," and the Hiphil, to cause an event.

(An Introduction to biblical Hebrew syntax, by Bruce K. Waltke, Michael Patrick O'Connor)

Quote:
B) Hiphil

1) Hiphil usually expresses the "causative" action of Qal -

http://www.biblestudymanuals.net/hebrew_grammar.htm

These are all saying that God caused the event of Saul's death, both in the translations, and in the explanation of the grammar.

Quote:
As stated above, I am, with cause, upset, annoyed and angry, pointedly because it is causing an unnecessary and wasteful consumption of time on my part. Indeed nothing like e.g., shoddy exegesis from one who could, or should be able to, do better to cause this. The ignorance of Biblical statements similarly also causes this. Seriously speaking, I see it as “righteous indignation” and there “righteously” is plenty of that in the Bible (e.g., Neh 13:25; Matt 3:7) even with Jesus Himself (e.g., twice forcefully cleansing the Temple.) [Of course, you are surely going to object to that reaction of mine here, however seek to substantively deal with the implicated facts here.]

What's going on in your comments is obvious to anyone reading this thread. Post #132332 makes this clear, for example.

It's common for people to try to hide behind their unfortunate actions as "righteous indignation," but the reality is that we should treat each other in a kind, Christian manner. In the 1888 era, when these sort of actions took place on the part of those resisting the message sent by God through His messengers Jones and Waggoner, EGW offered this sort of counsel countless times. Never was any support given for any contentious sort of response.

There are a couple of events in Christ's life, the cursing of the fig tree and the cleansing of the temple, which are often misinterpreted as if He were acting in a manner such as you are trying to attribute to Him as a means of justifying your own actions. Reading the accounts in "The Desire of Ages" makes clear that what is being attributed to Christ doesn't correspond to the reality of what happened.

Even if, for the sake of argument, one were to believe that Christ acted in the unfortunate manner being suggested, it would still be the case that 99% of the time Christ acted as a gentleman, with kindness, tact, and consideration. So perhaps we could aim for that same figure here.

Quote:
NJK:Manifestly if Simon, the Pharisee had immediately proceeded to audibly condemn Christ with these blind thoughts, he would been met/treated as Christ usually dealt with those Jewish leaders,

First of all, let's consider how Christ usually dealt with the Jewish leaders. In the beginning of Christ's ministry, Christ was open in His teachings. It was only when He met with opposition that He resorted to less direct methods, such as the parables. The whole time He was doing everything He could to reach the Jewish leaders.

He did this for two reasons. The first was that He loved them, and wanted to save them. The second reason was that He knew if He could reach them, that was the secret to saving the nation.

The majority of the time Christ treated the Jewish leaders with respect, and avoided confrontation with them.

Secondly, the point here is that Christ treated Simon gently and with tact not because Simon acted in one manner rather than another (i.e., by means of thinking rather than speaking), but because Christ loved him and wanted to save him.

Quote:
however he partly swallowed his pride here, which warranted this merciful treatment.

What "warranted this merciful treatment" was not any action on Simon's part, but Christ's character. Christ is merciful, so He treated Simon with mercy. Mercy is akin to grace in that it's *unmerited* (or "unwarranted") favor, given by one to another not because the other deserves it, but out of the kindness of the one granting it.

Quote:
Also Christ would be dealing with unexpressed thoughts, so, as to not compel faith here, he had to veiledly address this opposition, as He mercifully deemed it necessary.

This sentence doesn't make sense. At any rate, Christ's motivation was the salvation of Simon.

Quote:
NJK: (3) choose to dismiss points made in the Bible and also SOP, even ‘preferring’ the mere speculations of men (e.g., ‘Sodom and Gomorrah’s volcano’)

Tom: It's a common idea, if you look at commentaries, that a natural disaster of some sort occurred in the 5 cities on the plain. There's nothing in either Scripture nor the SOP that precludes this idea. The idea cited is no more speculative than your own.

NJK:I’ve never heard of it before, at all in neither Christian or SDA circles.

This is from the first place I looked at that spoke of "brimstone"

Quote:
"Brimstone," possibly the ancient name for sulphur, evokes the acrid odor of volcanic activity. (www.answers.com)

This is a pretty well-known idea.

Quote:
Commentaries don’t begin to make any significant statement here as they are merely speculating.

They're doing the same thing you are doing, which is trying to figure out what the text means.

Quote:
The clear Bible and SOP statements do not leave opportunity this view as they both say that God cause the fire and brimstone to come down from Heaven and EGW would have easily been shown this.

"Heaven" is "the sky." If brimstone is "evoking the acrid odor of volcanic activity" then the idea that this is referring to volcanic activity follows immediately.

Quote:
Also it can easily be verified if a volcano exists on that archeological site. Volcanoes just don’t disappear. And how does a supposed Flood Salt rock eruption come to affect that S&G destruction hundreds of years later?

Quote:
Certain aspects of the biblical story of the Cities of the Plain have in recent years become widely accepted. Among them is the placing of those cities in the southern basin of the Dead Sea, the assumption that those cities are now covered by Dead Sea water and, in particular, the belief that their destruction was due to catastrophic geological causes, such as an earthquake. The Bible emphasizes the agricultural richness of the Jordan plain prior to the upheaval of Sodom and Gomorrah and its catastrophic transformation into a wasteland. Thus, stripped of ethical and religious overtones, the scenario is that of a rapid climatic change that converted a densely inhabited and richly watered area into an infertile salt playa. The region northeast and southeast of Jericho, which today is quite barren as a result of the upward movement of salty ground water but which contains some of the World's earliest known agricultural settlements, fits such a picture. (http://www.springerlink.com/content/l8243r611174n710/)

I saw this snipped from the google search, but couldn't get more:

Quote:
other Cities of the Plain were destroyed by volcanic activity (presumably initiated by divine intervention) which ignited the sulfur and bitumen lying under

I could find more by searching some more, but this should be enough to make the point that's it's an idea that's widely known.

(more later)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 80 of 105 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!