HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 83 of 105 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133062
04/30/11 05:54 AM
04/30/11 05:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
NJK, why don't you just answer the question? kland is asking you how your view differs from mine. What he quoted doesn't matter; just explain how you perceive your view of GC 35.3 to be different than my view.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133063
04/30/11 06:01 AM
04/30/11 06:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
In Tom’s view, God can’t do such judgement acts in any way as that would be “evil”.

This, of course, begs the question of what "evil" means in this context. I have argued against the idea that God acts violently, by doing such things as burning people alive, to punish them. I have said that there are a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, from which God is constantly protecting us, and that it is sufficient, in terms of explaining and judgments that have occurred, for God to have simply withdrawn His protection, as explained in GC 35-37. There is no need for God to have acted in any way different than how Jesus Christ acted while here with us in the flesh.

Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," and that means fully/completely. God is *always* like Jesus Christ was; He knows no other way to act than by agape. God is far more gentle, kind, patient, humble, merciful and compassionate than we can imagine. The enemy is Satan and sin, which is far more powerful to corrupt and destroy than people have any idea of. Not having an idea of sin's power, people feel the necessity to attribute the bad things that happen due to that people to the power of another.

Quote:
Ironically enough, it is actually only “evil” (not in regards to God as actually He never has been required to curtail His '"passion" for truth' in order to be merciful towards sinners) when God just lets Satan freely and fully have his way.

So if God acts violently, contrary to how Jesus Christ lived or taught, that's not evil, but if God acts precisely according to the explanation of GC 35-37, that is evil. That seems backwards.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133064
04/30/11 06:06 AM
04/30/11 06:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
-Christ’s Ministry-wide designings against the Jewish leaders (cf. Matt 13:10-17 = Isa 6:9-13);
etc.

This caught my attention, due to the choice of words. You write of "designings against the Jewish leaders," as if Christ were out to get them, or against them. But Jesus Christ loved them, and didn't have designings against them, but for them.

Christ taught in parables for their benefit, as well as for others. When He first started to teach, He taught openly, but because of opposition, He changed tactics. Christ was always interested in reaching the Jewish leaders, both for the sake of their own souls, and as a means of saving the nation. When they opposed Him, He resorted to teaching in parables.

The reason that teaching in parables was for their benefit as well was they were in no state of mind to receive that which He was preaching, had He continued in a direct non-parable way. By teaching in parables, He was able to present truths to them in a non-threatening way, that they could ponder at their leisure. It was a means of trying to overcome prejudice.

Also, in your quote of Isaiah, and how you have expressed things, it gives the impression that God either desired that those who were rejecting Him not see, or caused it, or both. But it was their own actions, and their own desires, that caused their blindness. God did nothing but give them light, as He does for all. Jesus Christ is the true light that lightens everyone who comes into the world.

Quote:
"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive." {RH, September 26, 1899 par. 10}

Did Christ blind the eyes so that the people could not discern? He gave them great light, and from time to time added to the light by the exposition of prophecy. What, then, eclipsed the light?--The answer is given: "For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them." {RH, September 26, 1899 par. 11}

In heaven it was said, by the ministering angels, The ministry we were commissioned to perform, we have done. We pressed back the army of evil angels. We sent brightness and light into the souls of men, quickening their memory of the love of God expressed in Jesus. He attracted their eyes to the cross of Calvary. Their souls were deeply moved by the sense of the sin that crucified the Son of God. They were convicted. They saw the steps to be taken in conversion; they felt the power of the gospel; their hearts were made tender as they saw the sweetness of the love of God. In all this they heard the Father's call, but it was in vain. Their hearts were given to covetousness; they loved the associations of the world more than they loved their God. {RH, September 26, 1899 par. 12}

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #133065
04/30/11 06:21 AM
04/30/11 06:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the war in heaven, here is a statement from the SOP involving Revelation 12:

Quote:
Could one sin have been found in Christ, had He in one particular yielded to Satan to escape the terrible torture, the enemy of God and man would have triumphed. Christ bowed His head and died, but He held fast His faith and His submission to God. "And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." Rev. 12:10.

Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken. (DA 761)

From your post:

Quote:
The critical point Heaven broke out in war not a war of fists but of competing philosophies not a war of missiles but of dueling minds an intergalactic struggle launched by a rebel angel named Lucifer against the throne of God and Christ Himself portrayed in apocalyptic symbols as the dragon vs. Michael.(Dwight Nelson)

Quote:
It was not a war of violence with swords or guns, but a war of ideas, of words, of accusations against God on the part of Satan and vindication of God on the part of Michael.(Ty Gibson and James Rafferty)

These statements seem to be in harmony with what Ellen White wrote above. Satan was not defeated by violence, or force, but by the cross. The cross is the power of God. It is the "foolishness" which defeats the wisdom of Satan, and the "weakness" which defeats his power (cf. 1 Cor. 1:25).

Indeed, a little before the above cited reference, Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. (DA 759)

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133066
04/30/11 06:26 AM
04/30/11 06:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I understand EGW statement in GC 35.3 to mean that God does not force (i.e., by a freewill violating decree) people who otherwise would not, experience a judgement. Their own waywardness brought that judgement upon them. Satan however tries to make it seem that the people who are suffering have done nothing to deserve this and this is just an unjust act of God.

Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown.

Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.

By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.

We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan.

The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.

Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan.

The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. (GC 35-36; for ease of reading, I broke this up into several paragraphs.)

I don't see how one could read this and come to the conclusion you did. Could you explain that please?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133067
04/30/11 12:07 PM
04/30/11 12:07 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec

Originally Posted By: Tom
NJK, why don't you just answer the question? kland is asking you how your view differs from mine. What he quoted doesn't matter; just explain how you perceive your view of GC 35.3 to be different than my view.

Because, as I already said in response to kland, I already did, including as you quote below in post #133066. (Really why can’t/won’t you both understand and/or accept that??1) Such a quasi-“playing dumb” tactic does not work with me; especially not from kland who has no benefit of the doubt in this regard from me. kland chose to editorially, excisingly ignore my explanatory comments. Seems that it took more time and space to create his convoluted push-button quoting than to quote my statement in its entirety. (Try reading my unread by you comments/posting in their entirety before posting questions. This quasi-gotcha approach just wastes time, at least mine).

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133068
04/30/11 12:08 PM
04/30/11 12:08 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
NJK: In Tom’s view, God can’t do such judgement acts in any way as that would be “evil”.

Tom: This, of course, begs the question of what "evil" means in this context.

As I had said, I define evil, and indeed in that context as anything in which God is not in some way, even through imposing limitations, involved. Thus acts of Satan that are unrestricted which again I have seen no evidence of I the Bible yet, and do not see so until the 7th Last Plague, is pure evil. All other acts of adversity are just and merciful, even loving, in regards to the victim, judgements of God.

I have argued against the idea that God acts violently, by doing such things as burning people alive, to punish them.

I have seen absolutely nothing wrong/unjust/undeserved either with the acts of judgement themselves or with God doing them either directly (Fire from God) indirectly (through His Angels) and/or actively (His being executively involved) or passively (allowing nature to naturally [i.e., e.g., not the Flood] take its course and/or permitting Satan to do the judgement.

I have said that there are a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, from which God is constantly protecting us, and that it is sufficient, in terms of explaining and judgments that have occurred, for God to have simply withdrawn His protection, as explained in GC 35-37.

That is what I see as a “passive act of God”.

There is no need for God to have acted in any way different than how Jesus Christ acted while here with us in the flesh.

That view of yours is easily refuted by e.g., the fact that Jesus twice did use physical force to clear/cleanse His Temple of ‘merchandising robbers and thieves’. Not surprisingly that Gospel episode fact also, and that obliviously, if not indifferently, does not “catch your attention.”

Furthermore that persistent “reverse Theology” of ‘the OT God (which was also Jesus Himself as Michael/The Angel of the Lord) acting like the incarnate Jesus’ is substantively illogical to me. I rather see that Jesus, upon reading and studying the scrolls of the OT for at least up to 35 years (8 B.C. birth) came to understand how God had justly acted in those inspired records and sought out to emulate God as He had read. Which is why, e.g., (which are comments you patently ignore, yet still insist on making your claims), Jesus had not qualms about become upset due to the Israel-wide, copiously encountered pervasive religious hypocrisy (Luke 12:1-12), mindless selfish greed (vss. 13-21), lack of faith in the power and faithfulness of God (vss. 22-34) and sloughful indifference towards the Glory and Triumph of God’s Kingdom (35-40) and wasteful stewardship of God resources (vss. 41-48) was greatly desiring to effectuate Hell Fire judgement before His Atoning Sacrifice (vss. 49, 50) since that would surely overturn things (cf. 51-53) though without any opportunity for mercy.

Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," and that means fully/completely. God is *always* like Jesus Christ was; He knows no other way to act than by agape. God is far more gentle, kind, patient, humble, merciful and compassionate than we can imagine. The enemy is Satan and sin, which is far more powerful to corrupt and destroy than people have any idea of. Not having an idea of sin's power, people feel the necessity to attribute the bad things that happen due to that people to the power of another.

It is God’s Love for primarily the just and righteous which leads Him to, when absolutely necessary, to do supernatural acts to beneficially, timely, protectively and efficiently effectuate a deserved judgement. It is even, in some case, as object lesson, out of a love for other less sinful peoples that God selects the worst group from these sinful peoples to effectuate a judgement. (These non-judged, though also lesserly deserving, others are then free to choose whether to let that judgement lead them to begin to have a healthy fear of God or not.)

Quote:
NJK: Ironically enough, it is actually only “evil” (not in regards to God, as actually He never has been required to curtail His '"passion" for truth' in order to be merciful towards sinners) when God just lets Satan freely and fully have his way.

Tom: So if God acts violently, contrary to how Jesus Christ lived or taught, that's not evil, but if God acts precisely according to the explanation of GC 35-37, that is evil. That seems backwards.

God’s use of force (=your violently), or even effectuating judgements (which are actually meant to serve as a deterrent from other people, if not also in some cases, a tangible necessity, e.g., thorough cleansing by fire) is not evil. God’s allowing of what is describe in GC 35-37 to take place, which in some level does not have to involve direct actions of the devil, as EGW originally was shown in 14MR 1-3, but is just allowing nature to unrestrictively take its course, is by definition evil, as it is the natural consequence of the evil that Satan’s sinful schemes and concoction have brought into the world. The evil, especially in the Greater GC context, is also not necessarily in the action itself but the circumstance making it necessary. Case in point God’s choice for a War in Heaven was not evil, but the best way to resolve that conflict. Similarly Israel’s Wars at the command and supernatural assistance of God was not an act of evil. So the key here is not merely looking at the act, but the wider reasons/motives behind the act.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133069
04/30/11 12:09 PM
04/30/11 12:09 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
NJK: -Christ’s Ministry-wide designings against the Jewish leaders (cf. Matt 13:10-17 = Isa 6:9-13);
etc.

Tom: This caught my attention, due to the choice of words. You write of "designings against the Jewish leaders," as if Christ were out to get them, or against them. But Jesus Christ loved them, and didn't have designings against them, but for them.

As usual you are paramount attracted by the externals and thus do not susbtantively engage the other points listed prior to this one, as already pointed out.
I had already expounded on the ‘designing’ issue here in a prior post. Jesus deliberate “designs” against these leader was in order to get them to suffer the punishment for the wayward course, (should they obstinately freely choose to remain on it), which they, as the most educated and privileged in Israel then had ample opportunity to not only change course but also help the people under their leadership. They selfishly and indifferently chose not to, for indeed doing so now would come to undoing all of the spurious platform their false teachings and ways had raised up.

Christ taught in parables for their benefit, as well as for others.

You’ll need to quote either Scripture or the SOP to validate this manifest subjective assumption of yours. Indeed based on the (paramount) testimony of Scripture in Matt 13:1-3, 10ff, I have to adjust my view to include all peoples, and not just the Jewish leaders as to why Jesus taught in parables. And it was because: ‘To Christ disciples it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to non-believing/following crowd it had not been granted.’ (vs. 11; cf. 12-17)

When He first started to teach, He taught openly, but because of opposition, He changed tactics. Christ was always interested in reaching the Jewish leaders, both for the sake of their own souls, and as a means of saving the nation. When they opposed Him, He resorted to teaching in parables.

The reason that teaching in parables was for their benefit as well was they were in no state of mind to receive that which He was preaching, had He continued in a direct non-parable way. By teaching in parables, He was able to present truths to them in a non-threatening way, that they could ponder at their leisure. It was a means of trying to overcome prejudice.

Again this all seems like a subjective assumption of yours. Cite Bible and/or SOP to validate it.

Also, in your quote of Isaiah, and how you have expressed things, it gives the impression that God either desired that those who were rejecting Him not see, or caused it, or both. But it was their own actions, and their own desires, that caused their blindness. God did nothing but give them light, as He does for all. Jesus Christ is the true light that lightens everyone who comes into the world.

It was by them choosing to persist in their wayward course, [even by simply saying: ‘this guy does not teach “plainly” as the other Jewish leaders so He must either be telling tales or have something to hid (it must e.g., be, (hint hint) because of his “illegitimate” birth)’], that this light, which he indeed did (freely) “give” to them, though a dimmed/veiled form, actually came to blind rather than guide these defaultly quibblingly objecting, faithless, hypocritical and self-serving ones. That is exactly how I see EGW understood it in your quoted RH, September 26, 1899 par. 10-12. Only those who stepped out in faith to walk with Jesus, versus just being part of a gathering crowd to here a good sermon, similar to how the Greeks gathered to watch a play), would be given the keys to unlocking and understanding the truths in these deliberately veiled sayings.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133070
04/30/11 12:10 PM
04/30/11 12:10 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
Tom: Regarding the war in heaven, here is a statement from the SOP involving Revelation 12:

Originally Posted By: SOP
Could one sin have been found in Christ, had He in one particular yielded to Satan to escape the terrible torture, the enemy of God and man would have triumphed. Christ bowed His head and died, but He held fast His faith and His submission to God. "And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." Rev. 12:10.

Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken. (DA 761)

Tom: From your post:

Quote:
The critical point Heaven broke out in war not a war of fists but of competing philosophies not a war of missiles but of dueling minds an intergalactic struggle launched by a rebel angel named Lucifer against the throne of God and Christ Himself portrayed in apocalyptic symbols as the dragon vs. Michael.(Dwight Nelson)

Quote:
It was not a war of violence with swords or guns, but a war of ideas, of words, of accusations against God on the part of Satan and vindication of God on the part of Michael.(Ty Gibson and James Rafferty)

Tom: These statements seem to be in harmony with what Ellen White wrote above. Satan was not defeated by violence, or force, but by the cross. The cross is the power of God. It is the "foolishness" which defeats the wisdom of Satan, and the "weakness" which defeats his power (cf. 1 Cor. 1:25)

Congratulation on the reading of that blog post, though you obviously also borught along your one-sidedly selective mindset. Didn’t you read the exegetical points and direct EGW revelations beyond my opening quoting of SDA preacher who have the Biblically wrong view on this topic???

The SOP, based on the Bible, is clear that there were two casting out of Satan from Heaven. The first from within Heaven itself using brute force to decided the issue and then further force to effectuate the casting out; the Second at the Cross from where Satan use to “await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts”. You are quoting comments made in regard to the Second Casting out above which, as I see it just required the angels just to completely ignore Satan, which then made it quite futile to even show up there as he had before. Exegesis also applies to the writings of EGW, especially the contextual aspects of it!

By the way, as I noted on my blog post, Dwight Nelson may have changed his view on this topic. Indeed in a response to an email I had sent him on this, he had said that he saw the difference expressed there involving “polemos”.

Indeed, a little before the above cited reference, Ellen White wrote:

Originally Posted By: SOP
Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. (DA 759)

Again you resort, given your advanced (i.e., Seminary) education, to poor/shoody/arbitrary “exegesis”:

(1) You left out EGW’s qualifying statements to those comments which were just before them, that: “God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this.” This speaks of actions to “destroy” Satan and his sympathizers and also cast them out without a chance to defend their position. It does not preclude the war that God instead used to give them this chance to win this GC indeed merely by brute force if they could. In fact the war itself was probably limited to be non-lethal.

Furthermore, even when force used to cast Satan out, it was not strong enough to caused them to crash down to earth and die indeed “as easily as one [a man] can cast a pebble to the earth”.

(2) As I have repeatedly said, EGW speaks here of “compelling power”. I.e., using force to cause Satan to believe, or actually make the other angels believe that God is right without the GC opportunity to let both sides demonstrate their view.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133071
04/30/11 12:13 PM
04/30/11 12:13 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
I understand EGW statement in GC 35.3 to mean that God does not force (i.e., by a freewill violating decree) people who otherwise would not, experience a judgement. Their own waywardness brought that judgement upon them. Satan however tries to make it seem that the people who are suffering have done nothing to deserve this and this is just an unjust act of God.

Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown.

Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.

By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.

We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan.

The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.

Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan.

The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. (GC 35-36; for ease of reading, I broke this up into several paragraphs.)

I don't see how one could read this and come to the conclusion you did. Could you explain that please?

I already did, in Post #133034. Engage those already posted answering comments.

Page 83 of 105 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!