HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 90 of 105 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133310
05/06/11 11:05 PM
05/06/11 11:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
T:I'll get to the points your listing later, but I really don't get these comments in regards to Ellen White.

NJK:To immediately address this apparent hang up here, I had actually addressed it earlier (see starting at the end of this post (#132576), (see also here (#132696) indeed without a pertinent need to go into the wider subject of inspiration. Again, EGW was not inerrant, did not speak/write ex-cathedra and was not infallible, so all that she claims can and must be tested, and that by the Greater light of Scripture. The proof of the veracity of her statements is if it harmonizes with the Theological nature and substantive testimony of already given Revelation (i.e., the Bible). (Isa 8:20; 1 Thess 5:19-21; cf. Acts 17:11)

This is the test of whether she is a prophet. This is a pass/fail test. If she doesn't agree with Scripture, she is to be rejection, which rejection would include *all* of her work.

Quote:
To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. (Isa. 8:20)

Both she and Scripture taught the same thing. Examiner closely the claim of being a prophet (or, in EGW's case, of being divinely inspired, since she didn't use the title "prophet" to describe her work), and come to a conclusion one way or another if the person is inspired. If the answer is yes, then the writings are accept; it not, they are rejected.

There is no such thing as a person being divinely inspired some of the time, like for this article, but not that one, or is (s)he says, "I was shown," but not is (s)he doesn't say the magic words.

Quote:

Originally Posted By: Tom
If Ellen White is an inspired writer, then surely what she wrote in regards to how her writings should be used should be given weight, yet you are acting contrary to her counsel, doing what she said should not be done.

NJK:If EGW had said she was infallible, then you would have an incontrovertible argument here.

Her claiming to write under inspiration from God is sufficient for the argument. I believe she wrote infallibility pertain to God alone. Yes, here's an example:

Quote:
We have many lessons to learn, and many, many to unlearn. God and Heaven alone are infallible. Those who think that they will never have to give up a cherished view, never have occasion to change an opinion, will be disappointed. As long as we hold to our own ideas and opinions with determined persistency, we cannot have the unity for which Christ prayed. {CET 203.2}

Quote:
NJK:But she never made such a claim for herself and made it transparently clear that she sought to complement her direct revelations with her Theological and Spiritual/Experiential understandings, which at times she corrected, even wrongly.

Here are some typical statements of hers:

Quote:
I cannot at my own impulse take up a work and launch out into it. I have to be impressed by the Spirit of God. I cannot write unless the Holy Spirit helps me. Sometimes I cannot write at all. Then again I am aroused at eleven, twelve, and one o’clock; and I can write as fast as my hand can move over the paper.—Letter 11, 1903. {3SM 49.1}

Quote:
Sister White is not the originator of these books. They contain the instruction that during her lifework God has been giving her. They contain the precious, comforting light that God has graciously given his servant to be given to the world.—Colporteur Ministry, 125. {3SM 50.4}

Quote:
I do not write one article in the paper expressing merely my own ideas. They are what God has opened before me in vision—the precious rays of light shining from the throne.—Testimonies for the Church 5:67. {3SM 50.5}

Quote:
In this case you might as well just reject her entirely.

NJK:I have never seen nor felt that need, however, quite to the contrary, I have been implicitly impressed to ‘test what she has said and hold on to what is good’, 1 Thess 5:19-21 indeed when I first, and quite shockingly started to discover some of the exegetical deficiencies in her writings.

You've seen what she claimed from what I quoted above.

Do you think inspiration worked differently for her than for the Bible writers? I think, if I recall correctly, you wrote previously that you don't see inspiration as working differently, but that she was more prone to errors because of living in a time and culture further removed from previously written Scripture than other Scripture authors were. Am I correctly representing your view here?

Quote:
In another post, you argued with Elle, because she *wasn't* taking into account what Ellen White wrote.

NJK:That is indeed what I feel. I actually have a problem pointedly with how you either wrongly and/or selectively, even ignoringly, treat her writings, and that without bothering to give any explanation, and all of that, when a statement she made does not agree with the parts of her writings which you claim support your view. I on the other hand take all of her writings/statements into full consideration, and do transparently object to some for substantive reasons. I also give more weight to her direct revelations over the ones that were not from such a directly inspired source.

I accept her statements to be as inspired as Scripture. I have often made the point that all she says needs to be taken into account when discussing a subject. I'm sure you've read me saying that.

I think the thing to do is to try to understand the big picture, the "core" of the writer. That makes it less likely to incorrectly understand the writer's intent.

In relation to our present discussion, Ellen White makes certain statements in regards to God's character and how God works. This makes it often possible for me to anticipate what she'll say on a given subject before finding the quote. I know, based on things she's written elsewhere, if she speaks on the subject she'll say X; so it's just a question if she said anything about that particular subject.

Quote:
Ellen White wrote that everything she wrote for public consumption (or spoke) was not of herself, but she only wrote what God impressed her to write (or speak).

NJK:You have not provided the reference for that claimed statement.

Yes I have. I've also repeated it here.

Section 2 of 3SM has many chapters on inspiration, and Chapter 7 speaks directly to this subject.

Quote:
Perhaps this dedicated thread for that purpose could help.

That would be fine, if you wanted to open such a thread. By the way, I opened a thread based on a statement you wrote, regarding God loving some people more than others, if you wish to comment.

Quote:
NJK:If true and strictly applied, that would mean that all of her writings were (directly) inspired.

This was her understanding, as you can verify in the 3SM chapters.

Quote:
That would lead to several problems in regards to her corrections and errors, among other applicable problematic areas.

This was not her understanding.

Quote:
As I said, I only see EGW making honest mistakes, as these were based upon her actual knowledge of the Bible.

Which would be the same in regards to other inspired writers, correct?

Quote:

She does not allow for the selective grabbing of what she wrote that you are doing.

NJK:That is actually what you are, at least effectively, doing. E.g., the Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, The Flood, Nadab and Abihu, among many others. [“Reminder”: Don’t forget the remainder of this pertinent post (#133009b) which you have not yet fully answered (See here (#133207)) and apparently left open to not answering (= your “more later perhaps”??).

I'm not going to have time to address everything. I'm responding to things as I have time. This is why I asked you for direction. If you'd prefer that I continue responding to 133009 before looking at these more recent posts, I'll be happy to do so.

Quote:
Answer that part of that would/should transparently explain why you are also not seeing EGW’s view on these events as she says they occurred.]

The person in vision records what was seen in vision. The understanding of what that means develops over time, which can be seen in her writings. In Early Writings, she writes out visions, with "I was shown," etc. In later writings, she writes things based on the same vision, but using different words ("I was shown" is left out, for example). But it's still the same vision being described (although she may have had additional visions in the mean time).

The "Desire of Ages" is a good example of this. What she wrote on the life of Christ was developed from earlier writings from many different sources, including "Early Writings," "The Spirit of Prophecy," "Spiritual Gifts," magazine articles, and so forth. These were compiled together in the book, "The Desire of Ages," and sometimes changed or added to (in terms of working and explanations).

So if she writes she saw this occur, or that occur, it could be completely accurate, with her words appearing to convey a thought different to that expressed elsewhere. For example, if she wrote she say such and such destroyed, then that's what she saw, and this is accurate, but there's no way to tell what the mechanism was, in terms of God's having caused the thing to occur or having permitted it to occur. Also, we recall that God often presents Himself in Scripture as doing that which He permits. There's no reason to assume that He wouldn't similarly present Himself to Ellen White.

So how do we know what's going on? By looking at the big picture, but considering the principles involved. For example, when she writes:

Quote:
God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. (DA 759)

this provides information as to how God runs His government, and gives clues as to what's happening.

I'll have to get the rest of this later.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #133319
05/07/11 05:55 AM
05/07/11 05:55 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:You think Christ works to save some, because of their actions, but others He leaves to be lost?

NJK:From many examples in the Bible, God|Jesus treats each person individually, according to the light they had. So e.g., in Moses’s case (Exod 4:24-26), a pagan could live a peaceful life despite not having circumcised his sons, but for Moses that was an eminent, now confronting, life or death issue. God read hearts, as Jesus was Spiritually empowered to do, and thus His pointed responses are always judiciously fitting and deserved, and individually tailored.

This doesn't look to address my question, which is, "You think Christ works to save some, because of their actions, but others He leaves to be lost?"

I believe God is working to save all, without exception.

Quote:
Consider the words of Paul: It is a saying worthy of acceptance that Christ came to save sinners, of whom I am chief. This is how I feel. I'm sure it's how Simon felt, and Nicodemus, and anyone else who has been saved by Christ. I hope it's how you feel.

NJK:Not to take anything away from that Biblical Truth, that actually sidesteps the present issue that God’s fitting dealings with forwardly manifested, indifferent hypocrisy. God’s love of the sinner, does not excuse, nor certainly, “respect”, such heightened level of sinfulness.

This doesn't seem responsive either.

Here's what I wrote in context:

Quote:
NJK:That mere public association, indeed vs. Nicodemus covert one, almost automatically put Simon at odds with the rest of the other Jewish leaders. As EGW says:

Originally Posted By: SOP DA 557.1
Simon of Bethany was accounted a disciple of Jesus. He was one of the few Pharisees who had openly joined Christ's followers. He acknowledged Jesus as a teacher, and hoped that He might be the Messiah, but he had not accepted Him as a Saviour. His character was not transformed; his principles were unchanged.

So Christ had ample tangible reasons to be most patient with this relatively brave and faith action.

T:You're thinking Christ would have said, "Off with you! Go ahead and be eternally damned!" if He had not had these "tangible reasons?" I really don't understand your thinking here. You think Christ works to save some, because of their actions, but others He leaves to be lost?

Consider the words of Paul: It is a saying worthy of acceptance that Christ came to save sinners, of whom I am chief. This is how I feel. I'm sure it's how Simon felt, and Nicodemus, and anyone else who has been saved by Christ. I hope it's how you feel.

When you wrote, "So Christ had ample tangible reasons to be most patient with this relatively brave and faith action," the implication is that Christ would not have been patient had He not had ample reason. Given Simon's hypocrisy, in actual fact, Christ had reason not to be patient. But Christ is patient, as such is His character.

I pointed out from the SOP that had Christ not been so tactful and gentle with Simon, Simon would have been lost. What I'm getting at is that your position seems to be had Simon uttered his thoughts out loud, then Simon would have been lost, because in this case Christ would not have been patient with him. I see no sense in this position, given the importance of a soul to Christ.

Quote:
Quote:
NJK: however he partly swallowed his pride here, which warranted this merciful treatment.

Tom: What "warranted this merciful treatment" was not any action on Simon's part, but Christ's character. Christ is merciful, so He treated Simon with mercy.

{...}

Quote:
NJK: Mercy was being shown because these sharply objecting thoughts were nonetheless suppressed by Simon.

Tom: Mercy is not merited! Mercy was shown because Christ is merciful. That is His character, as proclaimed to Moses.

NJK:Like the OT God, and how He actually revealed it to Moses, ‘Christ exercises this mercy on whoever He chooses to have mercy.’ (Exod 33:19). If God ‘has to be merciful’ it is no longer mercy, but an obligation. And furthermore, that means that He can never not be merciful, i.e., deal/allow judgement.

This doesn't look responsive either. My point was that mercy is not merited, that God is not merciful because we deserve it, but on the basis of His own character, which is merciful. It's true that God is merciful to whomever He choose to have mercy on, but God is not a respecter of persons, and He chooses to be merciful to anyone who sincerely desires mercy.

I'm reminded of the following:

Quote:
“No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto Me.” None will ever come to Christ, save those who respond to the drawing of the Father’s love. But God is drawing all hearts unto Him, and only those who resist His drawing will refuse to come to Christ. {DA 387.4}

If the reason why I'm reminded of this quote isn't clear, I'll explain why.

Quote:
Mercy is akin to grace in that it's *unmerited* (or "unwarranted") favor, given by one to another not because the other deserves it, but out of the kindness of the one granting it.

NJK:Mercy|grace|forgiveness is granted to only those who seek it.

Which is anyone who doesn't refuse the drawing of God, as per the above quote.

Quote:
And in Simon’s deferential approach, despite feeling otherwise, Jesus saw that he was deserving of this discreet approach, eventhough that unexpressed hypocrisy still had to be rebuked.

No, Simon wasn't deserving of mercy. That's a contradiction in terms. Simon didn't even want mercy. He wasn't seeking it. He was just complaining in his heart against Christ. It was *Christ* who, by His love and the way He treated Simon, moved Simon to repent. Simon was in no way being deferential in his approach.

Quote:
But it was Simon’s ignorance of God and of Christ that led him to think as he did. He did not realize that God’s Son must act in God’s way, with compassion, tenderness, and mercy. Simon’s way was to take no notice of Mary’s penitent service. Her act of kissing Christ’s feet and anointing them with ointment was exasperating to his hardheartedness. He thought that if Christ were a prophet, He would recognize sinners and rebuke them. {DA 566.3}...

Simon’s coldness and neglect toward the Saviour showed how little he appreciated the mercy he had received. He had thought he honored Jesus by inviting Him to his house. But he now saw himself as he really was. While he thought himself reading his Guest, his Guest had been reading him. He saw how true Christ’s judgment of him was. His religion had been a robe of Pharisaism. He had despised the compassion of Jesus. He had not recognized Him as the representative of God. While Mary was a sinner pardoned, he was a sinner unpardoned. The rigid rule of justice he had desired to enforce against her condemned him. {DA 567.4}
The Desire of Ages, p. 567.5 (EGW)

Simon was touched by the kindness of Jesus in not openly rebuking him before the guests. He had not been treated as he desired Mary to be treated. He saw that Jesus did not wish to expose his guilt to others, but sought by a true statement of the case to convince his mind, and by pitying kindness to subdue his heart. Stern denunciation would have hardened Simon against repentance, but patient admonition convinced 568him of his error. He saw the magnitude of the debt which he owed his Lord. His pride was humbled, he repented, and the proud Pharisee became a lowly, self-sacrificing disciple. {DA 567.5}

This explains the points I've been making. On the part of Christ, "compassion, tenderness, and mercy." On the part of Simon, a hard heart, lack of appreciation, coldness, etc. But he was moved to repentance by how Christ treated him.

Quote:
NJK:So Simon only fittingly obtained “mercy/grace” for the manner in which He was to be rebuked.

"He" is Christ? Christ was to be rebuked?

Quote:
Quote:
NJK: This view of your has already been disproven by how Jesus actually dealt with prideful objectors throughout his minsitry, including defaulty with Jewish leaders from the very start of his ministry.

Tom: No sir! Christ *died* for these "prideful objectors," a most horrible death. This is how He "dealt" with them. He loved them, and gave His life for them.

NJK:Just emphatically saying “No” does not change the substantive text.

There are three sentences after the emphatic no. Characterizing the above as "Just emphatically saying 'No'" is clearly off base.

Quote:
(cf. also Deut 7:9-11; 1 Kgs 8:23)

If you wish texts to be considered, please cite what the texts way. Otherwise don't bother, as what's the point?

Quote:
Christ effectively died for everyone, but what actually made Him fully go through with is were His ‘faithful friends’ (John 15:13, 14);

His friends deserted Him when He most needed them in Gethsemane. They wouldn't even stay awake to pray in His hour of greatest need.

Quote:
“following sheep” (John 10:11) and the many sinners who would accept this sacrifice. (AA 601.2).

What possible reason could you have for not citing the text of AA 601.2? Surely the "Bible works" excuse doesn't work here. I'm sure you don't have AA 601.2 memorized. You had to have had it front of you to know what it said. You looked for it, found it, and had it in front of you, but couldn't be bothered to copy/paste it?

How long did it take you to find this text? I'd guess at least a minute, probably several. Certainly a good portion of a minute, at least. How long would it take to copy/paste the text? 5 seconds?

It's really difficult to understand why you won't copy/paste these texts that are right in front of you.

Quote:
NJK:Giving everything up and engaging in finding the ‘lost sheep/coin’ is pointedly speaking of Christ’s incarnation, but not necessarily of His “baptism of blood” death (DA 690.3) which indeed was an entirely different ordeal. And that was indeed a “decision” (DA 693.1) that He had to take and not ‘just naturally do it’ (cf. Luke 12:49, 50). So in a most realistic way, those who ‘pridefully objected’ to Jesus only benefited from the fact that ‘Jesus had “friends” who depended on Him to “go all the way,”’ including a throng of dead OT saints. That fact indeed made the cross effectively entirely bearable for Him.

Here's what I wrote:

Quote:
Christ *died* for these "prideful objectors," a most horrible death. This is how He "dealt" with them. He loved them, and gave His life for them.

You're disagreeing with this? Your point in the last few paragraphs is to demonstrate that what I wrote here is not the case?

Quote:
Quote:
NJK: In fact the only, relatively, “plain” statement I see Christ making to, inclusively some of these leaders during his ministry, before the Matt 23 plain statements, was in Luke 4:21, which was in contrast to the reading of Isa 61:1, 2 which had been ‘well received’ (vs. 22; cf. DA 236.4-237.2) however Christ immediately enjoined this spiritually glib reception with cutting words that led these people to become filled with murderous rage vss. 23-30. (Cf. DA 237.3ff)

I cited several examples of plain statements.

Quote:
Tom: You didn't quote anything here, so I have no comment.

NJK:That’s again is just an excuse, and the Truth from that passage still stands.

If you wish to have things considered, take the time to copy/paste them. And you should also explain why you think the text being referenced applies to the point you're making. Just quoting something like "AA 601.2" is pointless.

Quote:
NJK:Let’s just say, you, at least, and anyone else who may subscribing to this “excusing”, will be the one(s) who will not be aware of the revealed Truth here.

If you want someone to be aware of something, make that something clear by citing the text, as others do (all others, excepting you).

Quote:
Quote:
Tom: How did Christ treat Saul? (who would become Paul)

NJK:As I see it, indeed as discussed in this one (#132406), Jesus found enough genuine and non-hypocritical honesty in this most gifted and “electable” vessel of Saul, to present Him a fitting (and actually faith cementing) “opportunity” to from then live a life of utter trials for the sake of the Gospel.

Paul was persecuting Christ. Christ saw someone who, if presented the Gospel, might respond to it, so He did so. Christ's behavior was not based on anything meritorious on Paul's part, as persecuting Christ does not constitute merit, but on the basis of His own gracious character.

Quote:
Quote:
NJK: Also Christ would be dealing with unexpressed thoughts, so, as to not compel faith here, he had to veiledly address this opposition, as He mercifully deemed it necessary.

Tom: This sentence doesn't make sense. At any rate, Christ's motivation was the salvation of Simon.

NJK: It does when you carefully read it.

Tom: How so? How would Christ be compelling faith?

NJK:Christ was dealing with Simon disbelief that Jesus was a prophet in regards to His non-objecting to Mary. So if Christ had explicitly said: “I am reading from your thoughts Simon that...” then Simon would really have no other choice than to be compelled to believe.

That wouldn't have made Simon believe. It would have done the reverse, causing him not to believe. This is explained in the DA passage. It was because Christ did NOT speak explicitly, but in a way hidden to others, that Simon believed.

Quote:
NJK:But by not letting on as if he had read Simon thoughts, Simon was still left to accept this in faith, on top of first accepting it as a just rebuke, as he could have easily vexatiously discounted it.

Quote:
NJK: Mercy is what leads to salvation for people at fault like Simon was here. And Simon, who should have known better, did not deserve this patient treatment.

Tom: Right! Simon did not deserve the treatment he received from Christ, which is why it was mercy. And neither do we deserve the treatment we receive from Christ.

NJK:Like I had been saying/meant all along, Simon exercised suppressing option is pointedly what warranted the discreet manner of this response.

Simon did not warrant the discreet manner of the response, and even he was aware of that (see the DA passage). It was Christ's lovingkindness that led Christ to treat Simon as he did. It is entirely to Christ's credit, none belonging to Simon, that Christ treated him as he did.

And this is the case for all upon whom Christ extends mercy. It's always unwarranted, from the standpoint of the one receiving mercy. We deserve nothing but death. We don't deserve mercy. Not a one of us. Not Simon, not Saul, not anybody.

Quote:
The issue of Simon sin of hypocrisy is a distinct matter.

(More later, perhaps).

Why, as logically impliable: ‘“Perhaps” ‘not more’’ in regards to the substantive remainder of my post (#133009)??

As I explained, I don't have unlimited time. I've asked for guidance on our part as to how I should prioritize my responses to you.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133325
05/07/11 08:31 AM
05/07/11 08:31 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Tom: Though I can "debunkingly" respond your comments/arguments in both posts #133310 & #133319, I am seeing them as side issues for now. So, and also for the sake of my time, I'll forebear responding to them, at least for now and/or for quite a while. (Notwithstanding, succinctly said about EGW, there is substantive and inspired counsel to indeed test what she has written against the Bible. She of course did not aim to speak her own thoughts/opinions, but she did make, and even correct her own, mistakes. If what she had written only what the Holy Spirit was showing/telling her to write then that would not have happened. So she did base some views/comments on her various Biblical understanding at/up to that time.)*

I see that the “proof” of this discussion is in more directly pointedly pertinent issues than these. So do start by responding to the remaining part of #133009. (Same goes for Post #133185) I thought that my prior two bold reminders of this, actually clearly meant this!? Why don’t/won’t you bindingly see such statements that way??

*In regards to Paul, I Theologically see and believe that God “elects” the relatively best candidates, as He sees fit, especially in firstfruit circumstances. It was thus that Jesus chose 11, from a larger group of “disciples”.

Also, I personally don’t require that you answer my posts right away. You can take a month or how ever long you require. That would allow you to respond to everything I post (and same thing for me.) If you entirely won’t answer a specific post then indicate so. Then I’ll know when your responses have ended.

Also, again, clicking the pertinent reply links would be most helpful, at least to me. Why don’t/won’t you do this?? Absolutely no reference is being generated/indicated by your current ‘latest thread post’ practice.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #133374
05/09/11 04:28 PM
05/09/11 04:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: I’m sorry it wasn’t clear I was referring specifically to the enemies of God who you say caused fire to blaze out from the presence of God in the most holy place and burned N&A alive.

T: Why do you think I said this?

M: Were these particular enemies evil angels? If not, who were they?

T: Please quote something I've said. I don't know where you're getting these ideas from.

M: Are you refusing to address questions relating to N&A and the two bands of fifty?

T: No, I'm asking you to please quote something I've said, because I don't understand where you're getting your ideas from. That isn't clear to you?

M: It was Ellen who said so. You agreed with her.

T: You're suggesting that Ellen White said these particular enemies were evil agents?

M: Inspiration makes it clear the fire that burned N&A alive blazed out from the presence of God in the most holy place. Similarly, fire flashed from heaven in response to Elijah’s prayers to burn alive the two different bands of fifty. Do you believe Jesus withdrew His protection and permitted His enemies to burn them alive? So far you have not answered this question plainly. Please do so.

T: You haven't answered my questions. Please any my questions, which I asked first.

M:To answer your question ("Why do you think I said this") you haven't actually stated who or what you believe caused the fire that blazed out from the presence of God in the most holy place and burned N&A alive.

Then why did you write, "I’m sorry it wasn’t clear I was referring specifically to the enemies of God who you say caused fire to blaze out from the presence of God in the most holy place and burned N&A alive."

Notice you wrote, "who you say caused fire to blaze out ..." Why did you write this?

Quote:
M:Would you mind answering the question?

We discussed this at length in the past. I have no desire to repeat the conversation. I've explained why in detail as well.

Quote:
Christ's Revelation of God (Section title in book)

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18. {8T 286.2}

Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of men, and yet He was the blameless Son of God. He was a stranger and sojourner on the earth--in the world, but not of the world; tempted and tried as men and women today are tempted and tried, yet living a life free from sin. {8T 286.3}

Tender, compassionate, sympathetic, ever considerate of others, He represented the character of God, and was constantly engaged in service for God and man. {8T 286.4}

T: Please explain to me how this can mean that NOT every thing man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, when He "took humanity upon Him."

M: Please refer to the many passages I posted earlier (omitted by you). As a whole they make clear the point. Do not make the mistake of basing your idea on one passage. Also, “needs to know” is not the same thing as “everything there is to know”.

T: Let's just deal with one passage. Please cite the passage which you think most clearly articulates the idea that NOT everything that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, and we can discuss that passage. I'm not aware of any passage which contradicts this idea. I didn't see any such contradiction or implication in any passage you cited.

M:You wrote, "Let's just deal with one passage." Is this right or wise? Doesn't such an idea fly in the face of everything we believe about arriving at the truth?

It's better to have a passage explained, with some point, then to quote a whole bunch of passages with no point explained.

Quote:
M:I believe the passage in 8T 286 makes it clear Jesus revealed what we need to know about God. However, as stated before, "needs to know" is not the same thing as "everything there is to know".

She said both. She said, "All that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son." You disagree with this last part, and cited many passages to establish this point. I'm asking you to cite whichever one you think makes the point most clearly (or 2 or 3 if you wish is fine), and explain what that point is.

Quote:
M:It is impossible to establish the 28 fundamental beliefs based solely on what Jesus said and did while here in the flesh.

Why are you asking this question? When you ask questions like this, which look to be unrelated to our conversation, please explain why you're asking them.

Also, please answer the questions put to you which are related to our conversation.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #133376
05/09/11 05:33 PM
05/09/11 05:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: We spoke of this in detail in the past. I have no desire to repeat that conversation. I'll reiterate that I believe that the principles of GC 35-37 hold in all such cases, and that the specifics of how God removes His protection (whether in regards to evil agents, oneself, natural disasters, health, accidents, or anything else) is not important.

M:You’re unwillingness to plainly state who caused fire to blaze out from the presence of God in the most holy place to burn N&A alive is suspicious.

We spoke of this in detail in the past.

Quote:
We both agree fire is not self-acting; therefore, someone employed it to burn N&A alive. Both the Bible and the SOP plainly say it was Jesus who employed fire to burn N&A alive.

Actually neither says, "It was Jesus who employed fire to burn N&A alive."

Quote:
Nowhere does it say otherwise.

There are principles which disagree with the interpretation you're giving to the event.

Quote:
Assuming, as you do, the principles outlined in GC 35-37 apply to N&A smacks of “private interpretation” in light of the fact both the Bible and the SOP plainly say it was Jesus who employed fire to burn N&A alive.

GC 35-37 is a "private interpretation"?

Quote:
Assuming, as you do, it is “not important” who killed N&A also smacks of “private interpretation”.

The mechanism is not important. The principles are. if by killing them, you mean God's taking a direct action to cause them to die as opposed to permitting them to die, according to the principles of GC 35-37, and elsewhere, that would be important.

Quote:
M: As for me, I believe Jesus is, as sovereign Lord and King, ultimately in control of the outcome of the great controversy – not sin, not sinners, and not Satan.

T: The Great Controversy is not a contest that can be decided by sovereignty; it's decided by evidence. God has been accused of certain things, things involving His character and the principles of His government. To make His case that He has been unjustly accused, God has chosen to allow things to play out, that His character may be seen in contrast with that of His accuser, as well as the principles of His government in contrast to the principles of his adversary's government.

M: That is, sin does not determine how the GC will play out, neither do sinners, nor does Satan.

T: Sinners and Satan have a part, as do all sentient beings.

M: Whether or not this or that choice plays out this or that way is entirely up to Jesus - not sin, not sinners, and not Satan.

T: No, this isn't the case. When a rapist chooses to rape, and that plays out in a rape victim being raped, that's not "entirely up to Jesus." You don't see the problem in asserting this?

M: True, His options are limited. He isn’t free to manage the outcome irrespective of the choice. For example, Jesus wasn’t free to manage Judas’ choice to betray Him in a way that would result in him sitting on the right or left hand of Jesus in the New Jerusalem.

T: This doesn't seem to be a related point to the discussion.

M: Whether or not this or that choice plays out this or that way is entirely up to Jesus - not sin, not sinners, and not Satan. Evil choices usually end in evil consequences. Exactly which evil consequence plays out is up to Jesus. Not that He makes it play out that way. But He does manage things so that they do not play out some other way. He either causes, commands, or permits.

T: So if a little child is abused, that's "entirely up to Jesus" (not sin, not sinners, and not Satan)? IMO, this is exactly backwards.

M:What do you believe? You haven’t been forthcoming.

This seems backwards to me. It seems to me I've been forthcoming, but you haven't. I've said exactly what I believe happens, and trying to find out what you believe.

What I believe is simple. Sentient beings have free will and use that free will to act contrary to God's will.

Quote:
M:Do you think it’s up to sin? Or, up to sinners? Or, up to Satan? Does Jesus have any say so? Does He have the right to intervene and prevent it (the abuse you specified above)? Or, is He required to sit back and do nothing?

This is typical. I asked you a question, but rather than answer it, you ask me 6 more.

Here's my question to you:

Quote:
So if a little child is abused, that's "entirely up to Jesus" (not sin, not sinners, and not Satan)? IMO, this is exactly backwards.

Please address the question before asking me six new questions, and, on top of that, state that *I'm* not being forthcoming.

Quote:
T: To state that evil angels never disobey Jesus Christ is not a fair accusation to make upon Christ. Of course they disobey Him, whenever they do evil. To think that evil angels are shackled so they only obey Christ's will is, I'm having difficulty coming up with words that aren't too strong here, I'll just say not fair to Christ. Also, it's not fair to them, as well, as, if they are not to a great extent free to do their will, then the Great Controversy is a sham. Finally, if they are not free to do their will, how do you explain the evil there is in the world?

M: As explained above, Jesus is in control – not sin, not sinners, and not Satan. Evil angels are only as free as Jesus allows. 1 Cor 10:13 is an example.

T: This doesn't address my question. My question is, if evil agents are not free to do their will, how do you explain the evil there is in the world? Please answer this question. For example, "The evil which exists in the world exists because ..." In particular, whose will is involved when evil occurs?

M:Evil angels are not free to tempt, torment, or terminate people at will. What they are allowed to do is tightly regulated by Jesus. The reason evil angels tempt, torment, and terminate people is because they are evil. The resulting evil that exists in our world is due to the fact evil angels act within the perimeters Jesus permits and controls.

Who's responsible for the evil in the world? Jesus? Or evil beings?

The way you phrase things sounds as if you believe God is responsible. I'm trying to give you every opportunity to correct this impression.

Quote:
M: And, the connection between sin and eternal death is real. Sin and sinners cannot abide in the presence of God. The radiant light of His glory consumes sinners with their sins. You seem to think it is sin, not the light of God’s radiant glory, that will consume sinners in final judgment.

T: I think the main difference between us in regards to what you just wrote in this paragraph is that you perceive the issue to be primarily physical, whereas I see it to be a spiritual matter involving one's character. For example, we read: “God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764) This, as it reads, states what I've been asserting. I don't understand how you get a physical idea out of this. It speaks of the wicked developing characters and revealing their principles. It says they receive the results of their choice, which, in context, is referring to their characters and principles. It says they are so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. This has to do with their character. It says the glory of Him who is love will destroy them. This also has to do with character. The glory of God is His character, and God's defining attribute is love. She refers to the "glory of Him who is love." From beginning to end, this is dealing with character. (More later)

M:Comparing laws regulating and requiring capital punishment is not the same as laws regulating and permitting polygamy. There multiple places in the Bible where Jesus commanded godly people to execute ungodly people in accordance with the laws regulating and requiring capital punishment. The laws regulating and requiring capital punishment are symbolic of final judgment. Punishment ending in eternal death is both physical and psychological. “His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy the” – not sin, not self, not Satan.

But it is sin. That's stated right in the context, in the sentence immediately preceding the one you are quoting. And the one before that as well, and before that, and before that. The whole paragraph is making the point you are denying.

It's amazing that you would take a phrase from a sentence and have it say the opposite of the intent of the author, divorcing it from its context, and what she had been communicating through great repetition. She could not have stated more clearly that the wicked die due to their own actions, as opposed to actions on the part of God, then what she stated. Yet you still interpret her to be saying the opposite.

It's similar to when she writes that all that man needs to know or can know of God was revealed in the life and character of her son, and you state that NOT all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son.

Quote:
The light radiating from the person and presence of God will cause the wicked to suffer emotionally and physically according to their sinfulness eventually ending in eternal death.

Their character is the problem, as she states.

Quote:
You have yet to plainly explain what you think will cause the wicked to suffer emotionally and physically according to their sinfulness. Please do so. Thank you.

What?! I wrote pages and pages on this. For you to state I haven't addressed this is ridiculous. Please comment on what I've written.

We discussed this over a period of many months. How could you possibly have forgotten this?

If you want to bring this up again, please start a topic. I'd discuss it again if you want.

Don't say I haven't explained this, though. That's not fair.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #133380
05/09/11 06:57 PM
05/09/11 06:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: Of course it matters: “By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ... (GC 35) If your wife were caused to withdraw her protection, as opposed to freely choosing to do so without being caused to do so, that would matter. Back to my analogy. You understand the point, right? You would know your wife, in the analogy, didn't cause the fire, because you know her character.

M:My wife, though a kind and caring and compassionate person, is, nevertheless, a sinner like everyone else.

She still has a character.

Quote:
M:I would reserve judgment until forensics proved who or what caused the fire that killed the person.

Really? You don't know your wife well enough to know she wouldn't burn people alive? And this is because she's a sinner? You're serious here?

Quote:
M:In the case of N&A, however, forensics prove it was Jesus who employed fire to burn them alive. You, on the other hand, seem to think it doesn’t matter who burned them alive.

Why do you think this? Please quote something I've written.

It seems to me you're doing a poor job reading what I'm writing. This is why I'm asking you to quote something. I'm sure what you're saying is not what I wrote.

Quote:
M:I know you believe Jesus permitted His enemies to employ fire to burn N&A alive.

Why do you think you know this? That is, what did I write to cause you to think you know this?

Quote:
My question to you is – Who employed the fire that killed them? And, how did they make it blaze out from the presence of God in the most holy place?

I responded to this.

Quote:
M: “The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. . . Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {1SP 84.3}

T: Scripture, and the SOP, often present God as doing that which He permits.

M: The GC concerns us as much as it does God. Jesus will not let Satan tempt us beyond His ability to empower us to resist. This ensures the GC is fair. Very clearly Satan is not free to do whatever he’d like to do. He must obtain permission from Jesus to tempt us or to harm us. What happens is by permission.

T: Clearly God must limit the evil which Satan does, or else he would destroy everyone, and there wouldn't be a Great Controversy. However, this must not be twisted around so one concludes that the evil which happens is God's will.

M: There are times, though, when Jesus Himself acts to punish impenitent sinners. Ellen wrote: “The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. . . Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {1SP 84.3}

T: Scripture, and the SOP, often present God as doing that which He permits.

M:If what Jesus permits evil angels to do is not His will, what, pray tell, is it?

Really? You think if Jesus permits an evil being to do something evil, that's His will? So if a child is abused, or killed, it's because that was Jesus' will?

You don't see a problem with this?

To answer your question, what, pray tell, is Jesus' will are things which are in harmony with His character, things expressing the principles of agape, the sorts of things Jesus taught and said and did while here in the flesh.

Quote:
Is it Jesus’ will to prevent evil angels from exceeding the limits He imposes on them?

It's His will they do no evil at all.

Quote:
Yes, there are places in the Bible where it portrays Jesus doing the things He permits His enemies to do; however, it smacks of “private interpretation” to assume passages like the ones in my last comment above must be forced to mean something they obviously do not specifically say.

This is pretty circular reasoning. "The Lord slew Saul" obviously says specifically something, as does "The Lord sent fiery serpents upon the Isarelites," and the other obvious, specific, examples which do not mean what they obviously specifically say. So what you're suggesting is simply not the case.

Quote:
Also, the absence of even one passage that applies the withdraw-permit principle of punishment to the passages posted in my last comment above is evidence against your point.

You're missing the whole point. In Scripture there are instances where it obviously specifically says something, but the obvious specific thing does not mean what it obviously specifically says. Sometime Scripture explains the meaning elsewhere. Sometimes the SOP explains it.

Someone who understands the principles involved, does not need the explanation else, because the principles are understood. The explanations elsewhere simply serve to back up what was already understood.

So, for example, the statement about those who received not the love of the truth being left to their own wrong ideas from the SOP, I knew to be the case before finding the statement. I knew she either said what she said, or didn't comment on it, because God does not cause people to believe lies; that's not His character.

The fact that you're wanting to find passages that state what is obviously specifically stated to not be the case is exactly the approach I've been arguing against for years.

Your approach is:

1.If the Scripture obviously specifically says something, then that must be the case

UNLESS

2.Either the Scripture or the SOP says it isn't somewhere else.

I've argued that this isn't a viable methodology of interpretation, which I think should be, to coin a word, "obvious."

I believe a better methodology is to look for the principles involved, and apply those principles when interpreting passages. That you think a certain passage should be interpreted a certain way (God burned people alive) is predicated on your believing God is a certain way (God burns people alive), or that His principles are a certain way (God's principles involve burning people alive).

I'm arguing that God's principles are a different way (It is contrary to God's principles to burn people alive), and that God is a certain way (e.g., God is not cruel; God is like Jesus Christ). Therefore, regardless of whether a specific given passage ("The Lord sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites") has some other explanation specifically stated by Scripture or the SOP, we can still know that the thing specifically and obvious stated did not happen in a certain way (e.g., God did not cause poisonous serpents to bite the Israelites).

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133381
05/09/11 07:13 PM
05/09/11 07:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Also, again, clicking the pertinent reply links would be most helpful, at least to me. Why don’t/won’t you do this?? Absolutely no reference is being generated/indicated by your current ‘latest thread post’ practice.

It's more difficult to work this way, as you can't see what's written on the page when you do this. That means you have to open a second browser, or copy/paste what you wrote and repost it with the "Reply." But I'll try to do what you're asking. (This is quite a lot more work than copying/paste a Scripture or SOP reference, by the way).

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133382
05/09/11 07:29 PM
05/09/11 07:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
(Sorry, I forgot to use the "Reply." This is in reply to a statement in post #133276.)

God does not dispense more than the basic life necessities upon those who hate and/or rebel against him.

Why do you think this? God is not stingy when it comes to blessings.

A couple of statements come to mind.

Quote:
The words spoken in indignation, “To what purpose is this waste?” brought vividly before Christ the greatest sacrifice ever made,—the gift of Himself as the propitiation for a lost world. The Lord would be so bountiful to His human family that it could not be said of Him that He could do more. In the gift of Jesus, God gave all heaven. From a human point of view, such a sacrifice was a wanton waste. To human reasoning the whole plan of salvation is a waste of mercies and resources. Self-denial and wholehearted sacrifice meet us everywhere. Well may the heavenly host look with amazement upon the human family who refuse to be uplifted and enriched with the boundless love expressed in Christ. Well may they exclaim, Why this great waste? {DA 565.4}
But the atonement for a lost world was to be full, abundant, and complete. Christ’s offering was exceedingly abundant to reach every soul that God had created. It could not be restricted so as not to exceed the number who would accept the great Gift. All men are not saved; yet the plan of redemption is not a waste because it does not accomplish all that its liberality has provided for. There must be enough and to spare. {DA 565.5}

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God’s mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. (GC 36)

Certainly the atonement is more than a basic life necessity. God provides this blessing to all, although many spurn it.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #133390
05/09/11 09:55 PM
05/09/11 09:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: He also worked to prevent His enemies from exceeding the limits He imposed on them. In essence Jesus orchestrated the outcome.

T: I can't think of a worse way of putting it that this! This is pretty much saying exactly the reverse of what Ellen White said. Here's the GC passage:

Quote:
(1)The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. (2)In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. (3)Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. (4)Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. (5)It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. (6)By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. (7)The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.

We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. (8)It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. (9)The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. (10)But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. (11)God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. (12)The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. (GC 35-37)

I added the numbers, obviously. I count 12 statements at odds with your assertion. Clearly if Jesus Christ were orchestrating the whole thing, the following, for example, could not be true: “God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.” If God were orchestrating the execution of the sentence, then He *would* be standing toward the sinner as an executioner of their sentence. I don't see how this could be more clearly stated.

M:Do you agree Jesus worked to prevent evil men and evil angels from inflicting more death and destruction than He was willing to permit? Or, do you think evil men and evil angels willingly restrained themselves in order not to displease God and exceed Jesus’ limits?

Also, did evil men and evil angels do anything Jesus' wasn't willing to permit?

Did Jesus force evil men and evil angels to inflict the death and destruction He deemed right and necessary?

Were evil men and evil angels free to refuse to inflict the death and destruction Jesus deemed right and necessary?

Who would have inflicted the death and destruction Jesus deemed right and necessary if the Roman soldiers and evil angels had refused to do it?

What I'm taking issue with is your statement that, "In essence Jesus orchestrated the outcome." Your logic seems to be this:

1.God (or Jesus) did not permit X from happening.
2.Therefore He, in essence, orchestrated X.

The GC 35-37 statements make perfectly clear that God did not orchestrate X.

Also, just a little thought, should make it clear that to permit something to occur is not to orchestrate it. For example, a child is permitted to cross a street by its parent, and a bicyclist hits it. By your logic, the parent orchestrated this event.

Where do you get the idea that permitting an event to occur is, in essence, orchestrating it?

Also, the GC 35-37 statements, which I numbered, speak contrary to the orchestrating idea.

I also don't understand why you are phrasing the questions the way you are. For example:

Quote:
Were evil men and evil angels free to refuse to inflict the death and destruction Jesus deemed right and necessary?

Where in the GC 35-37 passage do you see any idea that the destruction happened because Jesus deemed it right and necessary? Really, how could she have communicated the reverse of these ideas any more clearly than she did?

Let me ask the question this way. What do you think her intent was in GC 35-37 in writing that these things happened because God withdrew His protection, as opposed to by means of a direct decree on His part?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133403
05/10/11 03:14 AM
05/10/11 03:14 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
NJK - Also, again, clicking the pertinent reply links would be most helpful, at least to me. Why don’t/won’t you do this?? Absolutely no reference is being generated/indicated by your current ‘latest thread post’ practice.

Tom: It's more difficult to work this way, as you can't see what's written on the page when you do this. That means you have to open a second browser, or copy/paste what you wrote and repost it with the "Reply." But I'll try to do what you're asking.

I don’t understand what your “difficulty” is here. I don’t see how you can reply to a post e.g,. 4 days before, by clicking on the latest post’s Reply link and not have two different posts opened. You do have to get the text of the post you are replying to from its original location, and either by copying the posted or after having clicked on its pertinent “Quote” link. Perhaps your replying process is different.

(This is quite a lot more work than copying/paste a Scripture or SOP reference, by the way).

Actually, factually, No. If I have a copious amount of Bible/SOP texts, e.g., 10+, as I normatively, corroboratingly endeavor to do in my posts, it is much more time consuming and involved to explicitly post each of them, than to only click on that pertinent “Reply” link! Just trying to relocate, page by page, which post you were reply from was in itself time consuming.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Page 90 of 105 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!