HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 18 of 35 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 34 35
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #133839
05/28/11 01:52 PM
05/28/11 01:52 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: kland
Maybe you or JAK could help interpret that chart. While I do see the number, 1335

If you could see the 1335 number then you can see that it is also plugged into the 508+1335=1843 chronology calculation.

I cannot read much of the text

To enlarge the words, you can try either zoom the image right in your browser or download the image [usually: ‘Right click’; ‘Save image as’] and enlarge it on your computer which at least has some basic image viewing software.

If that is not sufficient or cannot work, if you have the 2008 EGW CD ROM ($19.95), you can read Miller’s own explanations in the “Works of the Pioneers” section. The General Conference Archive has many post of Miller’s “Midnight Cry” (= 1842) messages.

and see nothing relating it to the future or past.

It’s William Miller’s chart...he did not even accept the Midnight Cry (1844) message, why would it be relating to any date past his obstinate one of the Spring of 1843??

It seems to only relate to the 1290 days.

The 1335-1290=45 is only to show that there will be a 45 day difference between their fulfillments. And they are indeed related because, as common SDA interpretation teaches, see SDA Commentary, the 1290 and the 1335 days both started in 508 B.C.

She did say there were errors in the chart.

As it was also later elaborated on by her and other SDA of her time, and throughout SDA history, the error was not adding a year for the B.C. to A.D. switch in the reckoning. Thus Miller’s 1843 year should have been 1844. His Spring ending was also corrected by the anti typical Day of Atonoment ‘10th day of the 7th Jewish Month’ reckoning which resulted in the October 22 date that year.

That is, could there be some ambiguity there?

Not anymore. Indeed by the time EGW was retrospectively writing this, they were discovered and corrected by these Early Adventists, and actually before October 22, 1844.

By her making the statements: his errors ...(phrase)...and numerous errors

Where are you reading/deriving: “his errors ...(phrase)...and numerous errors”?? I see that she merely said “mistake in some of the figures” and these were corrected before 1844, as God indeed had removed his covering hand by then.

As I understand it, this was done for the (potential) good of those Millerites as it should have served to make them fully ready by 1843 and also serve to weed out the non serious joiners of this group during the “tarrying time”.

Could that phrase relate to the errors before and after it?

Only the 1843 to 1844 corrections were implicated in this error.

Do you disagree with the commentary and others that the first 4 verses of chapter 12 really belong in chapter 11?

I personally agree. It wouldn’t be the first time that a Bible version publisher made this chapter separation error from the original text. Though I would further say that both ch. 10-12 should be a single chapter as it is the same uninterrupted ‘visitation and vision’ episode/sequence.

If you agree they belong in 11, do you think EGW knew that

Such criticism was not very common in those days or generally not endorsingly echoed by most Christians, especially lay men and women.

and/or when she referred to needing to understand the 12th chapter of Daniel before the time of the end, did she mean only the first 4 verses and not the remainder?

If, as you are positing, she knew that these first 4 verses were part of chapter 11 and not 12, then how would her statement to study chapter 12 include those first 4 verses?? I straightly understand that she meant Daniel 12 as it clearly read in her day, which is still the same now. Indeed, as pointed out above, it contains unfulfilled, and also (non-timed), re-fulfillable elements, from verse 1 and throughout.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #133840
05/28/11 02:08 PM
05/28/11 02:08 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Sabbath blessings. I have some extra time I wasn't expecting.

NJK, the Lord advised both us and the early church to study the abomination of desolation in Daniel. Why? What were the results of the study of Daniel's abomination in the early church? What did they conclude? Didn't their study tell them when to flee? Is it a large leap that His counsel to study the abomination in Daniel is the same for our time? If so, is it wise disassociating the time elements of these prophecies from the context?

True, when these prophecies were first fulfilled in 70 AD, there was no time element. But that can be viewed in two ways: It can be viewed as support for a time-free end time application, or it can be viewed as support for taking the entire prophecy together because the time elements have never been fulfilled in the end-time context. We'd agree that these prophecies are especially for the final generation, right?

It's also true that the 1260 days mentioned in a number of places were fulfilled in the dark ages but according the Christ's statements and other scripture, the abomination of desolation applies especially to the end, not to the dark ages. Are we safe in assuming that this most important application - to the final generation - can be severed from its time elements? What scriptural authority do we have to sever elements of this prophecy from its most important application?

NJK, I believe in outpost ministry. But even those in remote outposts will still have to flee. I admit I'm not sure myself how to apply the time elements. I'm studying them. The actual flight may be at the end of the 1260 days. This is what I tend to think. That's why understanding when the prophecy begins could be a matter of life and death.

On a related topic, can you tell me in simple words that all our readers can understand why you think Revelation 11 applies to leaders and who the two witnesses are? I've said above, I think the two witnesses are those who give the measuring/three angel's messages. You're saying the measuring message is for the leaders, right? Don't John's instructions to measure the temple and those who worship there include the entire church - that is all who take the name of Christ? What group is in the outer court that John is told not to measure?

But regarding EGW's prohibitions on time setting, I have addressed that in other posts but you don't see it the same way which is fine. However, you err in attributing base motives to those who don't share your views. smile

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #133842
05/28/11 03:17 PM
05/28/11 03:17 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Regarding the idea that the warning is simply that we need to be ready character-wise for the close of probation, if that was the import of the warning we already have a clear understanding on that point. There would be no need to study Daniel 12 because we already have an understanding of the importance of being ready for the close of human probation. IMO there is some specific information in chapter 12 that collectively and individually we lack understanding on. If it's not the close of probation or the time to flee, what is it?

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #133845
05/28/11 06:45 PM
05/28/11 06:45 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
NJK, the Lord advised both us and the early church to study the abomination of desolation in Daniel. Why? What were the results of the study of Daniel's abomination in the early church? What did they conclude? Didn't their study tell them when to flee? Is it a large leap that His counsel to study the abomination in Daniel is the same for our time? If so, is it wise disassociating the time elements of these prophecies from the context?

The factual answer is the Early Church fled Jerusalem in ca. 66 A.D. only after the Roman contigent under Cestus suddenly ended their seige of Jerusalem. It is only then, at the arrival of these Army Divisions, that, as Jesus had told them, that they saw that Jerusalem was about to be besieged and fled. It was not out of having calculated any time which showed them that they should flee in 66 A.D. and with the war ending during 70 A.D., after a return by Titus in late 69 A.D., ca. 3.5 years past since the initial siege and the utter end. So the prophecy in Daniel would have found its literal time fulfillment of a literal 1260 days then. My further view is that it was only because the NT (Gentile) Church was not fully ready then that the rest of these prophecies, and the Second Coming did not occur then, and time was proplonged and the Historical Age set in, when now most of these prophecies were going to be symbolically fulfilled. E.g., 1260 days = 1260 years.

True, when these prophecies were first fulfilled in 70 AD, there was no time element. But that can be viewed in two ways: It can be viewed as support for a time-free end time application, or it can be viewed as support for taking the entire prophecy together because the time elements have never been fulfilled in the end-time context.

As explained above, I not only have the view time was involved in the fulfillments that occurred by 70 A.D., though the Church was not aware*, (hence an example that time is not really crucial, as also seen in Church History), but also that prophecies are fulfilled, even if partially, in either the Literal, Historical and Eschatological. I don’t have an ‘all or nothing’ view here.

*The timed 70 Weeks prophecy was also fulfilled in this “unaware of” way amongst the Apostolic Church.

We'd agree that these prophecies are especially for the final generation, right?

I am of the view that they are for whatever generation Finishes the underlying work that will cause them to be unravelled. So it could have been for the Local/Literal “generation” ending 70 A.D., the Historical “generation” ending in 1844; or the, actually prolongedly, ongoing, and that since 1844, Eschatological “generation”. God will only release the 4 Winds that produce the fulfillment of these prophecies when a generation does the required Gospel Work.

It's also true that the 1260 days mentioned in a number of places were fulfilled in the dark ages but according the Christ's statements and other scripture, the abomination of desolation applies especially to the end, not to the dark ages. Are we safe in assuming that this most important application - to the final generation - can be severed from its time elements? What scriptural authority do we have to sever elements of this prophecy from its most important application?

As stated above, I believe the final generation could have been at any three prior points 70 A.D., 1844 and the present one. I also see two other occasions when it could have occurred within the Eschatological (post 1844 times), namely ca. 1888 and ca. 1996.

As the statement that EGW made in regards to this ‘end of prophetic time” were both “I was shown statements and in pointed explanatory reference to what was (also) expressed in the Bible in Rev 10:6; then I see that there doubly is Scriptural/Inspired Authority to accept this as God’s express and incontrovertible will.

NJK, I believe in outpost ministry. But even those in remote outposts will still have to flee. I admit I'm not sure myself how to apply the time elements. I'm studying them. The actual flight may be at the end of the 1260 days. This is what I tend to think. That's why understanding when the prophecy begins could be a matter of life and death.

Outposts are not for a place to hide. Since the days of EGW there virtually was no place where one can hid, especially today. (Indeed anyone with e.g, Google Earth today can find/see where anyone lives.) The reason to live in outposts were for Spiritual and Practical, Gospel Work Reasons. (1) To maintain a Spiritual “purity” and (2) serve as a great economic advantage vs. the economic trap that city dwellers are in and will be stuck in when hard times hit. Furthermore, not only is the Work not being done by not heeding these Inspired counsels, thus “frustrating” Final Events, but, just like with the Lot episode, God cannot send the deserved initial/Little Time of Trouble destructions on cities while His people are still living there. So by not heeding these counsels, and that out of comparable world-loving reasons as the rest of the unconverted world, God’s own people are directly, and in large part, responsible for delaying the end.

On a related topic, can you tell me in simple words that all our readers can understand why you think Revelation 11 applies to leaders and who the two witnesses are? I've said above, I think the two witnesses are those who give the measuring/three angel's messages. You're saying the measuring message is for the leaders, right? Don't John's instructions to measure the temple and those who worship there include the entire church - that is all who take the name of Christ? What group is in the outer court that John is told not to measure?

I can “in one sentence” or so, but you’ll need to read my blog post to understand why. The word: “Altar” refers to the temple ministry and has pointed emphasis in the Greek. The ‘7000 names of men’ and the “tenth” refer to the non formal leadership, yet who are still part of the leadership. These are said to fall, but some remain. The outer court is not measured in this event as these now are“non-SDA Christians” who did not have this privileged opportunity to understand these Truths. Hence they are not judged in this first phase of final judgement. Even within the SDA Church there are honest members who have been misled by the wrong example of leaders, so they too are spared in this judgement. So while it was to involve the whole Church, as it goes on to show, only the leadership, whether formal or informal are judged, and as shown in the corroborating Whirlwind vision, which I believe for concrete reasons was given to EGW, the rest of the Church survive this judgement but must then reorganize themselves.

But regarding EGW's prohibitions on time setting, I have addressed that in other posts

Where exactly?

but you don't see it the same way which is fine.

I believe there is only one Truth. So if I am wrong you should be able to point out in my responses above where you think I am.

However, you err in attributing base motives to those who don't share your views.

That is made in the light of the SOP’s standing counsel against any Eschatological time-setting and time reckoning. Reasons of, effectively, ‘wanting to known exactly when to obey SOP counsels’ especially in the light of Christ’s related statement in Matt 16:1-4 Biblically only lead me to view this as base thinking. We are to obey and discern the signs, not set dates and/or act only because of time reckonings. The ironic thing is that, since the Bible/SOP is clear that there will be no time involved in Eschatological fulfillments, those looking to set times will misguide themselves. E.g., they’ll put off the second coming 3.5 year after the start of some clear even, while Jesus may return in 2 months after that, or 8 years after that. I.e. whenever the work on the ground is done and allows for the furthering of fulfillments. That is what this Eschatological age is all about.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #133846
05/28/11 06:58 PM
05/28/11 06:58 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Regarding the idea that the warning is simply that we need to be ready character-wise for the close of probation, if that was the import of the warning we already have a clear understanding on that point. There would be no need to study Daniel 12 because we already have an understanding of the importance of being ready for the close of human probation. IMO there is some specific information in chapter 12 that collectively and individually we lack understanding on. If it's not the close of probation or the time to flee, what is it?

As stated earlier, I see that EGW counsel to study Dan 12 also involves understanding how the times of the 1260, 1290 and 1335 were established and transpired Historically and Spiritually apply to our day to perceive when similar movements are beginning to develop. Still no time will be involved and, really uselessly enough, using definite time here would only provide one with the supposed duration, and ending date for those events, and not any advanced warning of when to flee. If one is waiting for probation to close in order to flee the ensuing calamities, then it will be way to late. As the “type” example of Noah showed, they had to get in the Ark before that door of probation was shut. The same occurred with every Shut Door in Biblical/Prophetic History.

Only Spiritually heeding counsels to protect against those times will make one be prepared before they begin to occur. So knowing the definite time really serves no crucial purpose, the hardships during these, actually concurrent, periods of great opposition will still be just as hard even if one knows the time. However to those who obeyed counseled and prepared long before, they will actually be more defensible/tolerable.

So really character and spiritual preparation is the key here and not (the spurious) time reckoning/date setting. And as the Bible says, the Holy Spirit is given to those who obey God and one will most vitally need this Spiritual Guidance for those times.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: NJK Project] #133848
05/29/11 01:08 AM
05/29/11 01:08 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
So who are the two witnesses?

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #133851
05/29/11 09:21 AM
05/29/11 09:21 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
In the Historical Wave they were the Bible (OT & NT) in general vs. the Spiritual damages being done by the Catholic Church against it. In the Eschatological Wave, as stated on my blog post, it is most prominently the tangible, distinct but complimentary, missions and messages of Moses and Elijah which are to oppose and put down the current movements, pointedly in the present Remnant Church, to not do things according to God’s laws but in a worldly-conforming and “idolatrous” way, according to worldly views, policies and practices. (5T 81.1; cf. LDE 116.1-2) Those who, as it was related in Rev 10:8-11 “ingest” and thus “embody” the message come to be a corporal part of this reform movement.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #133853
05/29/11 04:45 PM
05/29/11 04:45 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Maybe you or JAK could help interpret that chart.

kland, I'm not sure why you would reference me on this point, as I do not recall ever posting to this thread.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: JAK] #133857
05/30/11 12:03 AM
05/30/11 12:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
However, you err in attributing base motives to those who don't share your views.

This is a good point.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Tom] #133858
05/30/11 12:05 AM
05/30/11 12:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
We are to obey and discern the signs, not set dates and/or act only because of time reckonings. The ironic thing is that, since the Bible/SOP is clear that there will be no time involved in Eschatological fulfillments, those looking to set times will misguide themselves. E.g., they’ll put off the second coming 3.5 year after the start of some clear event, while Jesus may return in 2 months after that, or 8 years after that.

I agree with this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 18 of 35 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 34 35

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!