HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 38 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 37 38
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: cephalopod] #139575
02/08/12 12:58 AM
02/08/12 12:58 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: But, as I said above, selfishness IS sin.
C: That's what I've been telling you how many times?

What do you believe then? That Jesus sinned? Since you said in your post #139519:

Quote:
You just claimed a post back that foul desire was sin ( thank you for being honest )...
...I showed you where both Sock Puppet AND our Church said Jesus restrained himself.
...From completing the foul desires he yearned to act out.

I'm confused about what you believe. If the selfish desire is sin, and if Jesus had selfish desires, the only logical conclusion is that He sinned.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Rosangela] #139576
02/08/12 04:34 AM
02/08/12 04:34 AM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
[quote]R: But, as I said above, selfishness IS sin.

C: That's what I've been telling you how many times?

R: What do you believe then? That Jesus sinned? Since you said in your post #139519:

According to Sock Puppet Jesus was "made sin" for us...
...Christ incarnated into a filthy sin nature that YEARNED FOR SIN, EVERY SIN.
...Yet Christ resisted his urges, he died to his sins and overcame his SELFISH desires.
...Just like Sock Puppet said he did - I did quote them for you.

You previously said selfish desire IS SIN...
...I was simply agreeing with you that it most certainly is.
...According to the bible alone IF one holds to the bible alone.

Originally Posted By: Cephalopod
You just claimed a post back that foul desire was sin ( thank you for being honest )...
...I showed you where both Sock Puppet AND our Church said Jesus restrained himself.
...From completing the foul desires he yearned to act out.

Originally Posted By: ROSA

I'm confused about what you believe. If the selfish desire is sin, and if Jesus had selfish desires, the only logical conclusion is that He sinned.

And if we practiced bibleonlyism you would be absolutely right...
...For the following easily demonstrated reasons.

As James 1: 14 says

"But every man is tempted, WHEN he is drawn away of his OWN lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death"

Rosangela, I can walk up to you and tempt you with something ( a sin ) that may be VERY attractive to ME...
...However it may disgust you to no end & as a result of that.
...I TEMPTED you but you were NOT TEMPTED.

It could absolutely be said that "Rosangela was tempted BY Cephalopod"...
...Sort-a-like saying it the following way.

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil

Luke 4:1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, Being forty days tempted of the devil

Let me be clear in that you absolutely have been tempted by a friend or someone...
...To participate in a "sin" that you didn't care for ( grossed you out, whatever ).
...It would be said that Roasangela was tempted of ( by ) her friend to sin.
...Yet YOU were not tempted "within yourself" because that particular LUST was not in you.
...You can't be drawn away or pulled within yourself TOWARD something you don't already WANT.

Thus the apostate churches teach that Christ, in each and every case...
...Never had to resist his own internal YEARNING for a sin.
...Because they claim there was nothing within Christ to respond.

Thus a popular apostate Church trick is to place Christ within James 1:14...
...To "TEST" the idea if Christ could sin.
...Like this.

""But every man [ including Christ ] is tempted, when he [ Christ ] is drawn away of his own [ Christ's own ] lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
Do not err, my beloved brethren
""

Because the apostate churches say Christ had NO SIN in Him...
...And the Bible says yearning for sin ( evil lust or concupiscence ) is just UNBORN SIN.
...They ( the papalish churches ) maintain Jesus never had anything within himself TO RESPOND to the sin.
...Thus they say Christ was temped by the devil but NEVER was Christ himself tempted.

One thing all SDA's should start doing is study what the beast powers believe....
...That way we can have a better appreciation of what we believe.
...And exactly where the belief is different.

Just so you know I'm not kidding.

Col 3,4
When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

For which THINGS' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience

Your average Baptist, Methodist and especially Catholic would have a heart attack...
...If you walked up and told them the flesh of Christ was disobedient.
...And Jesus, to save us, had to DIE to HIS OWN selfish desires.

Make no mistake about it - God's dear Son Incarnated into rancid flesh saturated with a sin nature...
...Jesus yearned for every sin of the flesh from your average red blooded man to the most sicking fag.
...But he RESISTED his yearning and suffered actually being tempted within himself.
...So that he can succor humanity in their sins.

Thus a pedophile who understands the truth can know Jesus knows exactly what it's like....
...To want to do dirty stuff to little kids.
...Because the pedophiles High Priest was tempted "JUST LIKE the pedophile".

Imagine the weight of it - EVERY SELFISH SIN from the little ones all the way up to the monsters....
...All stacked up in Christ's rancid flesh. It's impossible to even fathom!
...This is the faith of Sister White and the Pioneers.

Do you understand now that for YOU ( Rosangela ) to be tempted so that you feel the pull...
...You ( Rosangela ) have to have that evil concupiscence ( un-perfected / unborn sin ) ALREADY IN YOU.
...Otherwise how do YOU die to YOUR SIN?

Last edited by cephalopod; 02/08/12 05:08 AM.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: cephalopod] #139578
02/08/12 01:27 PM
02/08/12 01:27 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
So Christ had to die to His sins. So He sinned. Well, Ellen White never believed that. You are completely wrong.

But here we must not become in our ideas common and earthly, and in our perverted ideas we must not think that the liability of Christ to yield to Satan's temptations degraded His humanity and He possessed the same sinful, corrupt propensities as man. {16MR 182.2}

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Rosangela] #139579
02/08/12 01:29 PM
02/08/12 01:29 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
By the way, you did not reply to my post #139554.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Rosangela] #139581
02/08/12 04:44 PM
02/08/12 04:44 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA

I'll ask you something - did God know He was going to deliver the three hebrews from the burning fiery furnace? Yes or No?

As they were saved from the fire, yes - of course God knew...
...That's not the quesiton you should be asking yourself however.
...For it to apply to our discussion God would have had to communicate to us He was WOULD save them from the fire.
...Through the prophets of the Bible.
...Did God do that? yes or no?

Originally Posted By: Rosa

Of course not. But she said their lives were at stake (RH, May 3, 1892 par. 9). So, Ellen White said that their lives were at stake, but God knew He would deliver them. Here risk and foreknowledge are perfectly compatible.

When you can demonstrate to me that all the prophets of the bible....
...Said that those three guys WOULD be saved from the furnace then you will have a point.

And by the way. The Bible doesn’t say that Christ COULD not fail, but that He WOULD not fail.

Right, LOL!

Simoon WOULD NOT DIE until he witnessed the Lord Christ with his own eyes ( according to God )....
...But he could have died 15 year before Jesus was born???
...Think about what you are saying here Rosangela.

Luke 2:25
And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him. And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should NOT see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

But according to your logic just because the Holy Spirit told him he would NOT SEE DEATH until he saw christ...
...That does not mean that couldn't have died before he saw Christ?
...You've got to be kidding!

This makes no sense at all. Christ had to be tried to the uttermost, but not with the same sins we are. Could Christ be tempted by specifically feminine sins? Of course not; He was a man. Then how can He help women?

You ever hear of a man being trapped in a womans body?
...If Christ had yearnings of homosexuality He would have had those desires.
...That way, when a fag, in tears finally gets introduced to the Bible.
...He can KNOW that he can overcome his desires JUST LIKE CHRIST DID.

You have absolutely read less Sister White and Pioneers than I have Rosangela....
...You would not say what I'm saying makes no sense if you had read even a little of them.

Christ's temptations were so stronger than ours that we don't even understand what was involved in them. But He didn't need to have foul desires in order to experience that. Have you ever spent 40 days without eating? Have you ever seen Satan face to face? Have you ever been to a cross having the power to come down from it? If not, don't tell me the foul desires of human beings are stronger than that, and that sinners can have a more trying conflict than had Christ

Was christ tempted LIKE US or not Rosangela?
...Sock Puppet says He was tempted all his life!
...I suppose you need me to show where she said that?

And I’ve already said that of course temptation always appeals to a desire - however, it doesn't have to be a foul desire. There’s no foul desire in eating bread when you are hungry (1st temptation), in proving to others that you are who you say you are (2nd temptation), or in achieving that which you came to achieve (3d temptation). The problem is in doing that within God’s will. If you can’t do that, then your legitimate desire becomes a selfish desire, and the selfish desire is sin.

Is that the limit of how you are tempted Rosangela?
...Do you honestly believe Sock Puppet shared your view?
...I'm going to have some nice gifts for you.

Quote:
R: Really? How then were angels tempted? How were Adam and Eve tempted? Of course temptation always appeals to a desire - however, it doesn't have to be a foul desire. Look at Christ's temptations - I don't see any foul desire in them.
C: Angels, God and Christ all had bodies of "flesh"....
...This is the meaning of the Pioneer & Sock Puppet phrase; PERSONALITY OF GOD.

Christ didn't come in Adams flesh - he came in rancid flesh after thousands of years of compounded sin in that flesh.

Satan appealed to legitimate desires when he tempted unfallen creatures – again, desires which would become selfish if satisfied in opposition to the will of God. He promised them a higher state of existence, and this is good, unless you have to go against God’s will to achieve it. So, the temptation first appealed to their sanctified ambition. When they realized this desire could only be met if they went against God’s will, and they didn’t renounce their desire, it became covetousness, which, of course, is a sin.

As long as you don't "satisfy" the desire it's not sin?

Remember there are two things going on here - one is bibleonly doctrine on what sin is......
....And the other is Sock Puppets interpretation of what sin is.
....And you are headed exactly where everyone else I've talked to about this is headed.
....I mean it's classic - and you are not going to like the box you are moving yourself into.

She said the selfish desire itself is sin – even before it grows into an act.

And Sister White said Jesus died to "HIS" selfish desires, no?

SOCK PUPPET
"The tenth commandment strikes at the very root of all sins, prohibiting the selfish desire, from which springs the sinful act. He who in obedience to God's law refrains from indulging even a sinful desire for that which belongs to another will not be guilty of an act of wrong toward his fellow creatures." {PP 309.5}

How many more times do you need me to quote Sock Puppet...
...And our leaders when they said "CHRIST" overcame HIS SELFISH DESIRES for you?

Or is this like what you are trying to do with the could have sinned even though God told He wouldn't sin thing?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Rosangela] #139583
02/08/12 05:33 PM
02/08/12 05:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: All the quotes I posted made it abundantly clear people are born-again with a new nature. "It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression." Jesus enables us "to resist and subdue the tendencies of our fallen nature". It is "to be kept under the control of the Spirit of God". He also transforms our "weak, sinful nature into the divine image, giving it beauty and perfection". It is "purified, ennobled, consecrated by obedience to the truth". This is the sinful, human nature Jesus took upon His sinless, divine nature. In this state He was able to render acceptable and pleasing obedience. The same is true of believers. "In their fallen nature people can do the very things God expects them to do through the help provided for them." You seem to think, No, they cannot.

R: Yes, and, as you said, Jesus enables us "to resist and subdue the tendencies of our fallen nature". But, again, who reigned in Christ's human nature and forced it to live in harmony with the principles of God's law while He was a baby? And what does EGW mean with the following passage? "But here we must not become in our ideas common and earthly, and in our perverted ideas we must not think that the liability of Christ to yield to Satan's temptations degraded His humanity and He possessed the same sinful, corrupt propensities as man. {16MR 182.2}

Baby Jesus was tempted in all points babies are tempted. It was the Holy Spirit who empowered baby Jesus to live in harmony with the live of God. Do you agree? Regarding the passage you posted above, I believe it harmonizes with all the passages I posted above, namely, it makes clear Jesus' sinful, fallen human nature was that of a born-again believer. "We need not retain one sinful propensity." Jesus implants a new nature. Self is crucified. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
A new nature is imparted. Man is renewed after the image of Christ in righteousness and true holiness. {6BC 1117.15}

Self--the old disobedient nature--must be crucified, and Christ must take up His abode in the heart. Thus the human agent is born again, with a new nature. {ST, July 26, 1905 par. 6}

Begotten again into a lively hope, imbued with the quickening power of a new nature, the soul is enabled to rise higher and still higher. {SpTB15 22.5}

The Holy Spirit implants a new nature, and molds through the grace of Christ the human character, until the image of Christ is perfected; this is true holiness. {2MR 12.5}

When the leaven of truth is implanted in the heart, it absorbs to itself all the capabilities of mind and soul and strength. It implants in the human being a new nature, and the grace of Christ is more and more developed. {2SAT 119.4}

"In their fallen nature people can do the very things God expects them to do through the help provided for them." They "advance from one stage of perfection to another." Again, I hear you saying, No, people are born again selfish, and everything they think, say, and do is stained with sin.

Quote:
M: If it isn't possible to "pervert" character without sinning, then your earlier premise is incorrect.

R: My earlier premise was that someone who has a perfect character doesn't sin. Why is it incorrect?

The angels are sinless and yet one-third of them sinned. Adam and Eve were sinless and yet they sinned.

Quote:
R: I refer to conscious acts/thoughts of sin, not to our sinful nature. Those who will be living during the time of trouble won't sin (this doesn't mean they will be without sin).

M: What is the difference between "won't sin" and "doesn't mean they will be without sin"? Also, what is the difference between "sinful flesh nature" and "sinful human nature"?

R: We will only be without sin when we have a new nature. Selfishness may be subdued, but it is within us, and "selfishness is sin."

What is the difference between "sin" and "sinning"? Also, the passages I posted above make it clear people are born again with a "new nature". Are they "without sin"?

Quote:
M: Is having defective traits of character the same thing as acting them out in sinful ways - the same thing as sinning?

R: Not the same thing; one is voluntary, the other isn't. But, as I said above, selfishness is sin.

Is having a disease the same thing as infecting someone else with it? Selfishness is sinful, but is having selfish traits of character the same thing as sinning? Is subduing selfish traits of character the same thing as sinning? Is subjecting selfish traits of character to a sanctified will and reining them in (preventing them from surfacing) the same thing as sinning? If not, what do you mean by "selfishness is sin"? Does God look at our subdued, subjected, reined-in selfish traits of character and say, "You are guilty of sinning; repent or else you will suffer and die in the lake of fire"?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: cephalopod] #139595
02/09/12 01:06 AM
02/09/12 01:06 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
...For it to apply to our discussion God would have had to communicate to us He was WOULD save them from the fire.
...Through the prophets of the Bible.

What we are discussing is the relationship between foreknowledge and risk, and it's not necessary for God to express His foreknowledge in writing when it is obvious from the narrative. In the case of the three hebrews we have perfect foreknowledge (since evidently God knew He would intervene) and risk. It is said that their lives were at stake - even though God knew the outcome would be favorable.

Quote:
R: And by the way. The Bible doesn’t say that Christ COULD not fail, but that He WOULD not fail.
C: Simoon WOULD NOT DIE until he witnessed the Lord Christ with his own eyes ( according to God )....
...But he could have died 15 year before Jesus was born???

Let me make clear how I’m using the words “could” and “would” here. If I say that I could have had many children, I mean I had the necessary conditions (physical, mental, or whatever) to have many children. However, I chose to have just one child. So the meaning of “could” here doesn’t have anything to do with God’s foreknowledge, but with meeting the necessary conditions for something to occur. However, God foresaw that I “would” have just one child. So, I “could” have many children, but God saw I “would” have just one. It’s in this sense that I’m saying that Christ “could” have failed, although God knew that He “would not” fail. Christ “could” fail in the sense that He was liable to fail (which is what makes a temptation real), but God foresaw that He wouldn’t fail. IOW, the Bible doesn’t say that Christ wasn’t vulnerable to temptation, but that He wouldn’t yield to temptation.

Quote:
R: This makes no sense at all. Christ had to be tried to the uttermost, but not with the same sins we are. Could Christ be tempted by specifically feminine sins? Of course not; He was a man. Then how can He help women?
C: You ever hear of a man being trapped in a womans body?
...If Christ had yearnings of homosexuality He would have had those desires.

This is not only absurd but blasphemous. Besides, how could a man, for instance, be tempted to make an abortion?

Quote:
R: Christ's temptations were so stronger than ours that we don't even understand what was involved in them. But He didn't need to have foul desires in order to experience that. Have you ever spent 40 days without eating? Have you ever seen Satan face to face? Have you ever been to a cross having the power to come down from it? If not, don't tell me the foul desires of human beings are stronger than that, and that sinners can have a more trying conflict than had Christ.
C: Was christ tempted LIKE US or not Rosangela?

Ceph, how was He tempted to commit sins of repetition... sins of habit... sins of addiction?

Quote:
R: And I’ve already said that of course temptation always appeals to a desire - however, it doesn't have to be a foul desire. There’s no foul desire in eating bread when you are hungry (1st temptation), in proving to others that you are who you say you are (2nd temptation), or in achieving that which you came to achieve (3d temptation). The problem is in doing that within God’s will. If you can’t do that, then your legitimate desire becomes a selfish desire, and the selfish desire is sin.
C: Is that the limit of how you are tempted Rosangela?
...Do you honestly believe Sock Puppet shared your view?
...I'm going to have some nice gifts for you.

OK, post them and we will discuss them.

Quote:
Christ didn't come in Adams flesh - he came in rancid flesh after thousands of years of compounded sin in that flesh.

Ceph, the problem of sinners is not the flesh (body); it’s the MIND.

Quote:
R: Satan appealed to legitimate desires when he tempted unfallen creatures – again, desires which would become selfish if satisfied in opposition to the will of God. He promised them a higher state of existence, and this is good, unless you have to go against God’s will to achieve it. So, the temptation first appealed to their sanctified ambition. When they realized this desire could only be met if they went against God’s will, and they didn’t renounce their desire, it became covetousness, which, of course, is a sin.
C: As long as you don't "satisfy" the desire it's not sin?

It depends on the desire. I was speaking of unfallen creatures, who don’t have “foul desires.” There are desires which are good and legitimate in themselves, but, if in order to satisfy them you verify you have to go against God’s will, at that point they become selfish and, if you don't renounce them, they become sin. Look at Christ’s temptations. As I said, there’s no foul desire in desiring to eat bread when you are hungry (1st temptation), in proving to others that you are who you say you are (2nd temptation), or in achieving that which you came to achieve (3d temptation). What made these legitimate desires sinful were the conditions suggested for their satisfaction. OTOH, the foul desire is in itself a sin from the beginning.

Quote:
R: She said the selfish desire itself is sin – even before it grows into an act.
C: And Sister White said Jesus died to "HIS" selfish desires, no?

Where did she say that? Certainly not in the passage you posted. But if she had said that, she would be talking out of both sides of her mouth, since she said that the selfish desire is sin, and that Christ didn’t sin.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #139596
02/09/12 01:08 AM
02/09/12 01:08 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
MM, I promise to reply tomorrow.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Rosangela] #139601
02/09/12 06:16 AM
02/09/12 06:16 AM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA

What we are discussing is the relationship between foreknowledge and risk,

Yes, and that relationship is either zero OR a percentage of risk...
...God knows exactly what is going to happen to me, I don't.
...This fact does not increase or lessen the probability of what will happen to me.

and it's not necessary for God to express His foreknowledge in writing when it is obvious from the narrative.

Well, God did express His foreknowledge acording to the so called bible...
...Through the prophets in what folks call the Old Testament.
...God expressed His foreknowledge explicitly whereas Christ is concerned.

It comes out directly and says that in many places in the O.T....
...And the New Testament confirms it was known and expressed from God to us on the O.T.
...From before the world was created.

Titus 1:1
Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; In hope of eternal life, which GOD, that CANNOT lie, PROMISED before the world began

Strong's G893
1) without lie, truthful

It was always 100% that Christ would come....
...It was always 100% that Christ would die FOR US.
...It was always 100% that Christ would suffer for us.

There was no "risk" in any of the above not happening...
...It was 100% going to happen.
...Therefore, it is correct to say failure in any way was also 100% IMPOSSIBLE.
...This is simple logic Rosangela.

Just make sure you realize I'm playing Devils advocate here with all of this...
...For Sister White ursurps all logical reasoning of the so called bible.
...And I can absolutely prove it.

As the absolute promise of God saving the world is explicitly stated in black and white in both Testaments...
...As well as crafted into the narrative of Scripture itself.
...It becomes impossible to reject it from a "bible only" perspective.

In the case of the three hebrews we have perfect foreknowledge (since evidently God knew He would intervene) and risk. It is said that their lives were at stake - even though God knew the outcome would be favorable

You are really going into outer space with this concept....
...It's like you did a word search for "risk" on the White Estate search engine.
...And since this is as close as you could get thought you would create an apologetic from it.
...Are you sure you want to use this reasoning?

To them ( the 3 Hebrews ) their lives WERE at steak...
...They had NO IDEA God would save them.
...There was no prophecy about them at all.
...For all they knew they could end up the same as countless Jews already had.

Do me a favor and DON'T try to pass this off to a Baptist or any other apostate Chrisitan...
...If you in the future find yourself in a discussion about impeccability.

Let me make clear how I’m using the words “could” and “would” here. If I say that I could have had many children, I mean I had the necessary conditions (physical, mental, or whatever) to have many children. However, I chose to have just one child. So the meaning of “could” here doesn’t have anything to do with God’s foreknowledge, but with meeting the necessary conditions for something to occur. However, God foresaw that I “would” have just one child. So, I “could” have many children, but God saw I “would” have just one. It’s in this sense that I’m saying that Christ “could” have failed, although God knew that He “would not” fail. Christ “could” fail in the sense that He was liable to fail (which is what makes a temptation real), but God foresaw that He wouldn’t fail. IOW, the Bible doesn’t say that Christ wasn’t vulnerable to temptation, but that He wouldn’t yield to temptation.

What you are failing to see here is that according to the bible...
...Christ wouldn't sin and loose his salvation.
...Because he couldn't sin and loose his salvation.

You say that christ is "God"...
...Ok, the bible says that christ is God.

So far so good ( if you're a bible-onlyist ).

The bible says that God can't fail or sin...
...Our prophet says God could have failed, could have sinned.

You're reasoning in this area is strikingly odd to be sure...
...What you are saying is that God said a virgin would bear the christ.
...But the virgin could have had sex and not been a virgin.
...Because she was "LIABLE" to have sex and not be a virgin.
...So while God said the woman would be a virgin and predestined she would be.
...Mary could have ended up not being a virgin.

For the record I never said Christ "couldn't be tempted"...
...He was absolutely tempted by Lucifer.
...In fact he was led into the wild by the Spirit TO BE TEMPTED BY LUCIFER.

Question:
Why was Jesus rushed to Eqypt?

Answer:
"And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be FULFILLED which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son"

The prophets also said the Christ would die for his people...
...And that he would have done NOTHING wrong.
...Therefore, according to the bible -
...Jesus was led into the wild to be tempted by the Devil.
...Not to show that he was liable to temptation but to show he COULDN'T be tempted WITHIN HIMSELF.

As you've not taken me to task on my examples of how sin works...
...You obviously agree with me that there are two kinds.
...A) when someone or something tempts us and we are not interested
&
...B) when someone or something tempts us and we ARE interested.
...So it could be said we either go along with what we already want to do OR RESIST OUR temptation.

If you have to RESIST your own urge to not steal something...
...That simply means YOUR sin is simply trying to perfect itself, be fully born.

Matthew 15:19
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man

So, thoughts can defile a person and that means if I have to RESIST "MY" temptation to steal something...
...Or participate in fornication, etc
...I'm ALREADY DEFILED and as everyone here is defiled, we all need Christ.

In case you missed where I'm going with this - Sister White was clear that Christ....
...Felt the pull of temptation, resisted, died to sin, etc.

It wasn't until I honestly looked into the papists arguments against a sin liable christ....
...That I realized they had more "bible" on their side then we did.
...I poured over this stuff for more than a year and came to realize.
...That S.O.P. was right - the Bible wasn't God's Pen!

This is not only absurd but blasphemous. Besides, how could a man, for instance, be tempted to make an abortion?

Remember one thing Rosangela - some of your own sins are just as unacceptable to God....
...As the most sickening fag who ever walked the earth.
...And the dripping fag's debt was paid for him no differently than your and my debts were paid.
...By the sacrifice of Christ.

You've perfectly illustrated something I discovered a few years ago - to my horror...
...And that is I have sins I might not even realize I have.
...And those sins might be totally disgusting to another person.
...But because I'm blind to them I make myself feel better by observing a rotten queer.
...When in reality that queer might be closer to salvation than I AM.

That was a big reality check for me and I suggest you get one for yourself...
...It doesn't matter if a man can't have an abortion.
...There are other equally condemning sins a "man" can yearn for.
...So that he has to either RESIST his own yearnings or be led into the actual act.

Ceph, how was He tempted to commit sins of repetition... sins of habit... sins of addiction?

I'm not talking about being tempted by the devil to make something to eat for himself...
...It's not a sin to yearn for food when you are hungry.

Sock Puppet, Christ, a perfect example for "ALL"
Living the life OF the Saviour, overcoming every selfish desire, fulfilling bravely and cheerfully our duty to God and to those around us—this makes us more than conquerors. This prepares us to stand before

Sock Puppet, bible echo 1 November 1892
Those who claim that it was not possible for Christ to sin, cannot believe that He took upon Him human nature. Christ was ACTUALLY tempted, not only in the wilderness, but ALL through his life. In all points He was tempted as we are, and because He successfully resisted temptation in every form, He gave us a perfect example.”

Sock Puppet, ST May 10, 1899
For a period of time Christ was on probation. He took humanity on Himself, to stand the test and trial which the first Adam failed to endure. Had He failed in His test and trial, He would have been disobedient to the voice of God, and the world would have been lost.”

Sock Puppet MS57
Our Lord was tempted as man is tempted. He was capable of yielding to temptations, as are human beings.”

Rosangela, I am a man and I know how I have been and still am tempted...
...When I find myself resisting it's only because something inside of me WANTS THE SIN I'm being tempted with.
...I'm ONLY tempted WITHIN MYSELF for what I already lust for.

And because my heart is not yet PURE I catch myself lusting for females, especially the ones that flirt with me...
..."Out of the heart" come these lusts and it matters little if I talk myself out of them.
...If I'm still drawn toward those things I STILL HAVE SIN IN ME trying to get out and effect other people!

So, please realize that Sock Puppet meant what she said when Christ was tempted like I am tempted....
...And that he took on rancid flesh with every foul desire known to both man and woman.
...Yet he ever resisted his yearnings for EVERY SIN the world has ever known.

The Bible said Christ drank wine so very possibly he had to resist drinking wine all the time...
...Bet you never thought of that did ya.
...And please don't say it was grape juice.

OK, post them and we will discuss them.

I've already given you a couple new ones above - tell me where I've not understood Sock Puppet...
...I have more where those came from and we are not even into the Pioneers yet.

Ceph, the problem of sinners is not the flesh (body); it’s the MIND.

yes, I know that - "out of the heart" comes things that defile....
...And as Sock Puppet was so clear.
..."TEMPTATION IS NOT SIN" & "Jesus was ACTUALLY TEMPTED".
...A man is ONLY tempted when he is drawn away by his own lusts.

James 1, 14 is NOT TALKING ABOUT external temptation but INTERNAL...
...The kind you feel the PULL OF, drawing you to what you ALREADY WANT.

Where did she say that? Certainly not in the passage you posted. But if she had said that, she would be talking out of both sides of her mouth, since she said that the selfish desire is sin, and that Christ didn’t sin.

I've already posted that right here in this thread....
...And for the record I'm playing Devils advocate here.
...I'm playing the bible onlyist and it was you that agreed selfish desire was sin.
...remember I said THAT WAS EXACTLY what the Bible said as well.

So, deal with Sock Puppet where she said Christ overcame his selfish desires....
...When you realize you HAVE TO ADMIT she taught that I'm thinking you will be on my side.
...There are more of than you know and we are growing monthly.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: cephalopod] #139619
02/09/12 10:20 PM
02/09/12 10:20 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
...God knows exactly what is going to happen to me, I don't.
...This fact does not increase or lessen the probability of what will happen to me.

Right, God knows, we don't know. For God there are no risks. Risk is a human word because we don't know the outcome. This is what I've been saying all along. Are you in agreement or not?

Quote:
It was always 100% that Christ would come....
...It was always 100% that Christ would die FOR US.
...It was always 100% that Christ would suffer for us.

There was no "risk" in any of the above not happening...
...It was 100% going to happen.
...Therefore, it is correct to say failure in any way was also 100% IMPOSSIBLE.

Sure. There wasn't a risk. God and Christ, before His incarnation, foreknew that He would be victorious.

Quote:
The bible says that God can't fail or sin...
...Our prophet says God could have failed, could have sinned.

I think the disagreement lies here. If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying Christ is not truly God because of the word "risk" used in relation to Him? Or because He could fail?

This is what Ellen White says in relation to Christ being God and being tempted:

As God, Christ could not be tempted any more than He was not tempted from His allegiance in heaven. But as Christ humbled Himself to the nature of man, He could be tempted. He had not taken on Him even the nature of the angels, but humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin. {16MR 181.4}

We must practice the example of Christ, bearing in mind His Sonship and His humanity. It was not God that was tempted in the wilderness, nor a God that was to endure the contradiction of sinners against Himself. It was the Majesty of heaven who became a man-- humbled Himself to our human nature. {3SM 140.4}

God, AS A MAN, met a risk (peril). God sent His Son to meet a risk on earth. The word "risk" applied to Christ as a human being, not to His pre-existence (He foresaw He would be victorious, remember?) He wasn't omniscient while a human being, so for Him as a human being the risk was real.

Quote:
...Therefore, according to the bible -
...Jesus was led into the wild to be tempted by the Devil.
...Not to show that he was liable to temptation but to show he COULDN'T be tempted WITHIN HIMSELF.

Ellen White said there are two kinds of temptation (not the two kinds you mentioned, since there is no real temptation when one is not interested):

"Temptation is enticement to sin, and this does not proceed from God, but from (1) Satan and from (2) the evil of our own hearts." {MB 116.2}

But Christ had no evil in His heart. We have inward corruption. He didn't have it:

Christ did not need to fast for forty days because of inward corruption, or to subdue self. He was sinless. It was on our account that He fasted. He had been exalted by God, but He humbled Himself, and when He could have taken advantage of circumstances to favor Himself, He did not do this. {21MR 11.4}

Quote:
That was a big reality check for me and I suggest you get one for yourself...
...It doesn't matter if a man can't have an abortion.
...There are other equally condemning sins a "man" can yearn for.
...So that he has to either RESIST his own yearnings or be led into the actual act.

Actually that’s the point. The temptations that come our way are particular to us. Some things people fall into, I simply don’t understand how. I have no attraction to them. Jesus’s temptations were particular to him. But they were as real as ours ever are.
Christ was tempted in the three great branches of evil, the three areas in which Adam and Eve were tempted, and in which we are tempted:

“The enticements which Christ resisted were those that we find it so difficult to withstand. They were urged upon Him in as much greater degree as His character is superior to ours. With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us.” {DA 116.4}

I have an appointment now. More later.

Page 33 of 38 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 37 38

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!