HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,798 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Daryl] #144831
08/26/12 02:52 AM
08/26/12 02:52 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
As for the "how" to attain Christian perfection, I think much depends on focusing on Christ, not on perfection. By beholding we become changed. The only way to perfect freedom from sin is through Christ. He is the Way.

Focusing on perfection would imply that there's something that we can do ourselves to get there. I don't believe that is quite possible. We must lean heavily on Christ. His is the victory, and by grace we may be partakers in it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Mountain Man] #144836
08/26/12 02:11 PM
08/26/12 02:11 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: James Saptenno
James 4:17 - Therefore to him that knoweth how to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin." This sin is inevitable, because we all fall short of the glory of God.

Objectively, Christ has secured justification at the cross, there is many bible Scriptures to proof it. But I like the best - Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. I think His redemption means his dead and rise of the death, if he did not rise, there is no redemption. So, even all had been done and paid at the cross, but to complete his redemption, he must be raised. Subjectively, we need to accept this justification through faith in Christ. So, He needs to be raised in order he might justify those who believe Him.

If sinning is inevitable, unavoidable what good is salvation? We need help now. If Jesus cannot empower us to be kind and loving and patient at all times, under all circumstances what good is belief? "The devils also believe and tremble." I refuse to believe Jesus is powerless to "save to the uttermost". He promises, "Go and sin no more." I thrive on what John wrote. "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not."

1 Corinthians 13 gave a clear teaching that faith is not all what is asked for from a believer. Since we all fall short of the glory of God, I think we could not live out the life of Christ as what you think you could do. Hence, sinless perfect character is not the point, is not the target as what you think, moreover as a prerequisite for justification to enter heaven, I think God din't ask this from us.

The target is to remain in Christ by faith and having fruit of the Spirit - love agape, this will retain forever your justification and eternal life. If you sin, confess and you will be justified and live.

Whether you can reach that sinless perfect character or not is not the point, is not the target, is not a reward, is not a prerequisite for justification.

We are saved by grace through faith, that is all a Christian needs, having faith in Christ and remain in Him.

We loose our gift only when we withdrew from faith, not because we are not perfect sinless.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Green Cochoa] #144837
08/26/12 02:14 PM
08/26/12 02:14 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
As for the "how" to attain Christian perfection, I think much depends on focusing on Christ, not on perfection. By beholding we become changed. The only way to perfect freedom from sin is through Christ. He is the Way.

Focusing on perfection would imply that there's something that we can do ourselves to get there. I don't believe that is quite possible. We must lean heavily on Christ. His is the victory, and by grace we may be partakers in it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

This is better.

As i say, focus on Christ is what we believers must do, not on our achievement. And as I had said to MM, justification and eternal life is a GIFT, just confirm your acceptance by faith in Christ, and all will be yours. Retain this by abiding in Him by faith, and you will retain your gift till the new world, no matter your achievement.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Green Cochoa] #144840
08/26/12 04:00 PM
08/26/12 04:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Well said, Mike. I'm with you. If I believed even for a second that God was unable, that He was powerless, to remove sin from my life and heart before the day of transfiguration, I would give up and die. I simply cannot understand why Christian sinners would desire to cling to their sins so much as to accept a belief that it is impossible for them to depart from them. Jesus has shown us by example that it is indeed possible to live without sin. He has commanded us to cease from sinning. If He had given us a command that were impossible to follow, what kind of God would we be serving? The God I serve has power against sin that waits for nothing or no one. It is ready to be exercised the instant we come to Him.

When Jesus said, "Go and sin no more," He didn't mean, "Go and gradually outgrow your sinful habits and practices." We are either all of His and free of sin or none of His and full of sin. "Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." "No man can serve two masters." "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not."

We are either walking in the Spirit and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit or we are walking in the flesh and maturing in the fruits of the flesh. We cannot mature in the fruits of the Spirit and mature in the fruits of the flesh simultaneously. While we are abiding in Jesus we do not and cannot sin. "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

"Through the grace of God and their own diligent effort they must be conquerors in the battle with evil. While the investigative judgment is going forward in heaven, while the sins of penitent believers are being removed from the sanctuary, there is to be a special work of purification, of putting away of sin, among God's people upon earth. This work is more clearly presented in the messages of Revelation 14. {GC 425.1}

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: James Saptenno] #144842
08/26/12 04:26 PM
08/26/12 04:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1 Corinthians 13 gave a clear teaching that faith is not all what is asked for from a believer. Since we all fall short of the glory of God, I think we could not live out the life of Christ as what you think you could do. Hence, sinless perfect character is not the point, is not the target as what you think, moreover as a prerequisite for justification to enter heaven, I think God din't ask this from us. The target is to remain in Christ by faith and having fruit of the Spirit - love agape, this will retain forever your justification and eternal life. If you sin, confess and you will be justified and live. Whether you can reach that sinless perfect character or not is not the point, is not the target, is not a reward, is not a prerequisite for justification. We are saved by grace through faith, that is all a Christian needs, having faith in Christ and remain in Him. We loose our gift only when we withdrew from faith, not because we are not perfect sinless.

Please keep in mind I agree with you regarding salvation and justification - both are free gifts. Nothing Jesus accomplishes in and through us adds to what He accomplishes for us and without us. However, it seems you don't believe character perfection is also a gift. We are born again "dead to sin" and "awake to righteousness." We receive character perfection as a gift. We do not achieve it.

Quote:
The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. "He that abideth in Me," said Jesus, "and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. {DA 676.4}

God will accept only those who are determined to aim high. He places every human agent under obligation to do his best. Moral perfection is required of all. Never should we lower the standard of righteousness in order to accommodate inherited or cultivated tendencies to wrong-doing. We need to understand that imperfection of character is sin. All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

We are born again with all the fruits of the Spirit, with all the righteous attributes of God's character - not one is missing. "Ye are complete in Him . . . ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God." No, we are not born again fully mature. We mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit from "glory to glory", from "grace to grace", and from "faith to faith" - not from greater sins to lesser sins.

Again, the growth and maturation we experience while walking in the Spirit and in the mind of the new man is a free gift. None of it adds to what Jesus accomplishes for us and without us. The idea that what Jesus accomplishes in and through us comes short of the glory of God misrepresents the power and purpose of grace. "Let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear." "We have received grace . . . for obedience to the faith."

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Mountain Man] #144849
08/26/12 08:00 PM
08/26/12 08:00 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Well said, Mike. I'm with you. If I believed even for a second that God was unable, that He was powerless, to remove sin from my life and heart before the day of transfiguration, I would give up and die. I simply cannot understand why Christian sinners would desire to cling to their sins so much as to accept a belief that it is impossible for them to depart from them. Jesus has shown us by example that it is indeed possible to live without sin. He has commanded us to cease from sinning. If He had given us a command that were impossible to follow, what kind of God would we be serving? The God I serve has power against sin that waits for nothing or no one. It is ready to be exercised the instant we come to Him.

When Jesus said, "Go and sin no more," He didn't mean, "Go and gradually outgrow your sinful habits and practices." We are either all of His and free of sin or none of His and full of sin. "Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." "No man can serve two masters." "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not."

We are either walking in the Spirit and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit or we are walking in the flesh and maturing in the fruits of the flesh. We cannot mature in the fruits of the Spirit and mature in the fruits of the flesh simultaneously. While we are abiding in Jesus we do not and cannot sin. "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

"Through the grace of God and their own diligent effort they must be conquerors in the battle with evil. While the investigative judgment is going forward in heaven, while the sins of penitent believers are being removed from the sanctuary, there is to be a special work of purification, of putting away of sin, among God's people upon earth. This work is more clearly presented in the messages of Revelation 14. {GC 425.1}

since the day we are "reborn" through baptism, how long ago was that? Any one dare to claim walking in the Spirit perfectly without sinning?

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Mountain Man] #144850
08/26/12 08:13 PM
08/26/12 08:13 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 Corinthians 13 gave a clear teaching that faith is not all what is asked for from a believer. Since we all fall short of the glory of God, I think we could not live out the life of Christ as what you think you could do. Hence, sinless perfect character is not the point, is not the target as what you think, moreover as a prerequisite for justification to enter heaven, I think God din't ask this from us. The target is to remain in Christ by faith and having fruit of the Spirit - love agape, this will retain forever your justification and eternal life. If you sin, confess and you will be justified and live. Whether you can reach that sinless perfect character or not is not the point, is not the target, is not a reward, is not a prerequisite for justification. We are saved by grace through faith, that is all a Christian needs, having faith in Christ and remain in Him. We loose our gift only when we withdrew from faith, not because we are not perfect sinless.

Please keep in mind I agree with you regarding salvation and justification - both are free gifts. Nothing Jesus accomplishes in and through us adds to what He accomplishes for us and without us. However, it seems you don't believe character perfection is also a gift. We are born again "dead to sin" and "awake to righteousness." We receive character perfection as a gift. We do not achieve it.

Quote:
The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. "He that abideth in Me," said Jesus, "and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. {DA 676.4}

God will accept only those who are determined to aim high. He places every human agent under obligation to do his best. Moral perfection is required of all. Never should we lower the standard of righteousness in order to accommodate inherited or cultivated tendencies to wrong-doing. We need to understand that imperfection of character is sin. All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

We are born again with all the fruits of the Spirit, with all the righteous attributes of God's character - not one is missing. "Ye are complete in Him . . . ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God." No, we are not born again fully mature. We mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit from "glory to glory", from "grace to grace", and from "faith to faith" - not from greater sins to lesser sins.

Again, the growth and maturation we experience while walking in the Spirit and in the mind of the new man is a free gift. None of it adds to what Jesus accomplishes for us and without us. The idea that what Jesus accomplishes in and through us comes short of the glory of God misrepresents the power and purpose of grace. "Let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear." "We have received grace . . . for obedience to the faith."

So, what is the point of our discussion if you believe that believers are able to achieve a sinless perfect character, daily life without sinning, but it doesn't add anything to what Jesus had done for us; justification and eternal life which is a gift? What is this connection of a sinless perfect character with our salvation if it doesn't add anything, which means it doesn't take away anything also.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: James Saptenno] #144856
08/27/12 01:47 PM
08/27/12 01:47 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
If sinless perfect character is achieve through the joint operation work of the Spirit and your will, and is a prerequisite for justification to enter heaven and have eternal life, then the Spirit is your Savior with the help of your will, NOT Christ is your Savior, for you believe what He has done on the cross is not enough to save you (mankind), therefore it is just called "our qualification for heaven. " What the Spirit do in you with the help of your will, is your FITNESS for heaven, this justify you for heaven and eternal life.

What a mixed of GRACE and WORK.

It is putting a yoke on our Christian brethren shoulder.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: James Saptenno] #144861
08/27/12 03:33 PM
08/27/12 03:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Since the day we are "reborn" through baptism, how long ago was that? Any one dare to claim walking in the Spirit perfectly without sinning?

2. So, what is the point of our discussion if you believe that believers are able to achieve a sinless perfect character, daily life without sinning, but it doesn't add anything to what Jesus had done for us; justification and eternal life which is a gift? What is this connection of a sinless perfect character with our salvation if it doesn't add anything, which means it doesn't take away anything also.

3. If sinless perfect character is achieve through the joint operation work of the Spirit and your will, and is a prerequisite for justification to enter heaven and have eternal life, then the Spirit is your Savior with the help of your will, NOT Christ is your Savior, for you believe what He has done on the cross is not enough to save you (mankind), therefore it is just called "our qualification for heaven. " What the Spirit do in you with the help of your will, is your FITNESS for heaven, this justify you for heaven and eternal life. What a mixed of GRACE and WORK. It is putting a yoke on our Christian brethren shoulder.

1. Does the Bible say post-conversion sinning and repenting is natural, automatic, inevitable, unavoidable? Does it say unbroken, continuous, uninterrupted obedience is impossible? Paul wrote, "If any man sin". He didn't write, "When people sin," or "People will sin."

2. That is the point. Maturing daily in the fruits of the Spirit is a reality for people who abide in Jesus and partake of the divine nature.

3. Again, the fruits of the Spirit do not add to or subtract from what Jesus accomplishes for us. Our salvation is based solely on what Jesus does for us - not on what He does in and through us.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Mountain Man] #144928
08/30/12 04:08 PM
08/30/12 04:08 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Mike,

I don't think you are right to suppose that we can be instantly sin free simply by abiding in Jesus. That is an overly simplistic view that breaks down in light of other balancing passages and context.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The people of God will be abiding in Christ, and the love of Jesus will be revealed, and one Spirit will animate all hearts, regenerating and renewing in the image of Christ, fashioning all hearts alike. As living branches of the True Vine, all will be united to Christ the living Head. Christ will abide in every heart, guiding, comforting, sanctifying, and presenting to the world the unity of the followers of Jesus, thus bearing testimony that the heavenly credentials are supplied to the remnant church. In the oneness of Christ's church it will be proved that God sent His only begotten Son into the world. . . . {5MR 51.1}

Note that in the above passage, I have underlined the "in progress" or "continuing" verb participles. They indicate that it is a process, not an instantaneous sanctification. God may justify us to see us as if we had never sinned the moment we accept Him, but this does not in that same instant sanctify us completely, removing all of our sins. Mrs. White tells us the work of sanctification is the work of a lifetime.

Let us look at an example. Suppose we recognize that Martin Luther had an abiding faith in Christ. Did he no longer sin? What about the Sabbath? Was he a Sabbath-breaker still? Yes, he was. He was ignorant, but breaking the Sabbath is still a sin, is it not? This is at least one sense in which one can be "abiding in Jesus" and yet sinning. There may be other senses. But it is certainly true that we may be sinning unawares.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!