HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,595
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 25 1 2 21 22 23 24 25
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Johann] #146356
10/27/12 09:06 PM
10/27/12 09:06 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline OP
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
"My friend" you are also saying Paul was sinning?

Romans 8 (ASV)
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus.

From the moment Paul was knocked off his high-horse, he repented and dwelt IN CHRIST as a perfect representative for what may be accomplished IN CHRIST!

"Thus the Lord had given Paul his commission to enter the broad missionary field of the Gentile world. To prepare him for this extensive and difficult work, God had brought him into close connection with Himself and had opened before his enraptured vision views of the beauty and glory of heaven. To him had been given the ministry of making known “the mystery” which had been “kept secret since the world began” (Romans 16:25),—“the mystery of His will” (Ephesians 1:9), “which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ by the gospel: whereof,” declares Paul, “I was made a minister.... Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; and to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: to the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, according to the eternal purpose which He purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Ephesians 3:5-11. {AA 159.2}

Do you think this is possible to be accomplished by someone who is not as convicted and as repentant as Enoch or Elijah? God would not permit Paul into His heavenly counsel unless he was fully convicted and made perfectly clean by the blood of the lamb.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Rick H] #146387
10/28/12 05:16 PM
10/28/12 05:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rick H
Even Paul would not say he had reached perfection though, as he was constantly having to struggle against the sin that seem to pull and tear at him.

Good point. Not sinning is not perfection. Just because Jesus empowers us to cease sinning it does not mean we have reached perfection. In fact, eternity is not long enough for us to exhaust our ability to "perfect holiness". Thank you, Jesus.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Mountain Man] #146396
10/28/12 11:36 PM
10/28/12 11:36 PM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Paul did not consider himself perfected, because the person he was emulating was so much more perfect. Jesus continually grew in perfection through resistance to evil, and Paul considered himself insignificant comparably, but before the Father Paul was seen through the Character and record of the merits in Christ. Christs righteousness mixed with his prayers and people came back from the dead!

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Johann] #146403
10/29/12 04:21 AM
10/29/12 04:21 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Originally Posted By: Johann
Quote:
you sin against God in thus using the time which should be spent in devotion to Him.19 {AH 416.3}

Quote:
Take time to arrange your room, and keep it in order. We do not wish you to apply yourselves too closely to your studies, neither do we wish you to work hard. But a life of idleness is a life of sin.

Jesus teaches us that we sin in our thoughts, even if there is no action.

We sin when we do not use our time right

We sin when we do not have order in our things.

Are we fully free from sin?

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth how to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

This verse covers a wide range of sinning area without we realize about it.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146405
10/29/12 04:37 AM
10/29/12 04:37 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
Johann, are you serious? Your a retired pastor and you make jokes on these subjects against someone defending the message of truth? You sure have posted a lot this month out of no where and start taking me on like you have a mission?

If Johan is a retired pastor, MM is an active pastor, why not comment on his writing?

2. "I knew that Paul’s life is not of a sinless perfect life since the day of his newborn." Only Jesus lived a perfect, sinless life from birth to death. People live without sinning only while they are abiding in Jesus.

He clearly agree with me that is against you.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: James Saptenno] #146411
10/29/12 02:16 PM
10/29/12 02:16 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Scripture makes it clear that our Lord Jesus Christ is the only person who has ever lived on this planet who never sinned. Therefore we are all sinners, with no exception, and Isa 59 makes it clear that our iniquities separate us from God. Through this separation we are not connected with the only source of immortality, and that is the reason why all sinners die.

God has made provision for a sinner to be re-connected to the source of immortality through Jesus Christ, and this connection makes the sinner a redeemed sinner. The moment this connection is broken the sinner is again a lost sinner. This is why a sinner has to make a full commitment to Jesus Christ which is so strong that it will last through all eternity.

When Paul moves from Romans 7 to 8 he is describing what happens to him as he accepts Jesus Christ, and how joyful he, a sinner, is what his sins are no longer counted against him. His connection with the source of immortality has been established through Jesus Christ.

Although he is still a sinner, he has received forgiveness and the grace which gives him the strength, also through the Holy Spirit, not to live in sin but to live in Jesus Christ.

Jesus makes it clear that He only came to save sinners. I hope you are one of them?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Johann] #146413
10/29/12 05:12 PM
10/29/12 05:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
CHAPTER
The Man of Romans Seven

People who experience the miracle of rebirth or conversion are very excited about being like Jesus. Being kind and loving and patient is so awesome, so satisfying. Knowing that it pleases God, ah, there’s nothing like it – a piece of paradise. Thank you, Jesus! And then an unholy thought and feeling crashes the party. Yuk! Where did that come from? Bummer! I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Living in a world and flesh full of sin stinks. Can’t wait for heaven, eh!

In the book of Romans Paul reveals, in his unique, original way, that he is very much like us. He records a graphic, first-person account of the battle that wages within all of us. As every faithful disciple of Jesus can attest, our fallen nature bombards us every day with unholy thoughts and feelings and, as brave soldiers of the cross, we must steadfastly resist them, we must keep them under control.

Man of Romans Seven
Here is how Paul explains the origin and essence of our internal warfare:

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is pre-sent with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: but I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. (Romans 7:14–25)

Clear as mud, right? Leave it to Paul. Actually, though, his description makes perfect sense if you understand the difference between the mind of the new man and the mind of sinful flesh. Our fallen flesh has, as it were, a mind and voice of its own. “Human nature is ever struggling for expression, ready for contest ...” (MB 15) It continually tempts us with unholy thoughts and feelings. But it cannot commit a sin. “The words ‘flesh’ or ‘fleshly’ or ‘carnal lusts’ embrace the lower, corrupt nature; the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God.” (AH 127)

First of all, to understand this difficult passage, we need to remember that the origin of the thing that Paul, and the rest of us, hates is “the sin that dwelleth in me... that is, in my flesh.” The “sin that dwelleth” in us is a reference to the unholy thoughts and feelings produced by our fallen flesh. The one thing sinful flesh can “do” that we find so detestable is tempt us to be unlike Jesus. But the one thing it cannot “do”, as already mentioned, is commit a sin.

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. (Galatians 5:17)

God implants within us, the moment we are born again, the mind of the new man. Between the mind of the new man and the mind of sinful flesh we have, as it were, two minds. The warfare between these two minds is the source of our inner turmoil. Or, as one man put it, “The nature of our warfare is the warfare of our nature.” In Romans Seven, however, Paul uses only one personal pronoun, “I”, to represent both minds, which makes things somewhat confusing.

In order to clear up the confusion we must determine which “I” refers to the mind of the new man and which “I” refers to the mind of fallen flesh. The context, as usual, makes it obvious. For example: “For that which I [sinful flesh] do, I [new man] allow not: for what I [new man] would, that do I [sinful flesh] not; but what I [new man] hate, that do I [sinful flesh].” (Romans 7:15) Let’s paraphrase this verse by replacing each “I” with the appropriate name:

Our sinful flesh wants us to do things our new man will not allow us to do. On the other hand, our new man wants us to do things our sinful flesh does not want us to do. In fact, the things our new man hates with a passion are the very things our sinful flesh wants us to do.

Did that help? I hope so! It is also very helpful to note that Paul twice repeats the phrase, “It is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.” See verses 17 and 20. Some people accuse Paul of blame shifting, that is, blaming his sinful behavior on his fallen flesh. But this clearly is not the case. Paul is the original zealot. He would never excuse sinful behavior. On the contrary, this phrase pinpoints the origin and source of the unholy thoughts and feelings that come to mind.

In Romans chapter six Paul clearly says, “Our old man is crucified . . . he that is dead is freed from sin”. In chapter seven, therefore, he feels compelled to address the following obvious but unspoken questions: “If our old man is truly dead, and if we are truly free from sin why, then, are we being harassed with unholy thoughts and feelings? Are we still guilty of producing them? Or, is something else doing it?” The answer is, “It is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.” In other words, we must not blame ourselves for their presence, we must not assume we are guilty of producing them. Sinful flesh is the one guilty of doing it, which is why Paul uses the word “do” to answer our unspoken questions.

Even though we have been born again, “evil is present” within us. We live, as it were, in “captivity”. And, sorry to say, we will not be delivered “from the body of this death” until Jesus returns and rewards us with a sinless body and nature. Ro-mans 7:21-24. So, in the meantime, we must not allow ourselves to cherish or act out the unholy thoughts and feelings that regularly torment us. Like Paul, we must keep our eyes on Jesus and rigorously resolve, “I allow not”, which is another way of saying “Get thee behind me, Satan”. Not that sinful flesh and Satan are one and the same, because clearly they are not; however, they have the same goal – to tempt us to sin, to be unlike Jesus.

Paul was in such constant dread, lest his evil propensities should get the better of him, that he was constantly battling, with firm resistance, unruly appetites and passions. If the great apostle felt like trembling in view of his weakness, who has a right to feel self-confident and boast-ful? The moment we begin to feel self-sufficient and confident then we are in danger of a disgraceful failure. (TDG 277)

The Man Jesus
Paul goes on to explain how even Jesus had to resist the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh nature. It should comfort us to know that Jesus can identify with our circumstances. Jesus came in the likeness of sinful flesh and condemned the sin in His flesh by resisting the temptations it generated and communicated.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (Romans 8:1–4)

The example and experience of Jesus proves we are neither guilty of, nor respon-sible for, the unholy thoughts and feelings our sinful flesh produces. Nevertheless, like Jesus, we are responsible to resist them, to rein them in. “The Saviour took upon Himself the infirmities of humanity and lived a sinless life, that men might have no fear that because of the weakness of human nature they could not over-come. Christ came to make us ‘partakers of the divine nature,’ and His life de-clares that humanity, combined with divinity, does not commit sin.” (MH 180)

The obedience of Christ to His Father was the same obedience that is required of man. Man cannot overcome Satan’s temptations without di-vine power to combine with his instrumentality. So with Jesus Christ; He could lay hold of divine power. He came not to our world to give the obedience of a lesser God to a greater, but as a man to obey God’s Holy Law, and in this way He is our example. The Lord Jesus came to our world, not to reveal what a God could do, but what a man could do, through faith in God’s power to help in every emergency. Man is, through faith, to be a partaker in the divine nature, and to overcome eve-ry temptation wherewith he is beset. (OHC 48)

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Mountain Man] #146414
10/29/12 05:21 PM
10/29/12 05:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - The post above is extracted from an online book. I cannot figure out how to cut and paste documents and preserve the original format. Here's the link to the book.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: James Saptenno] #146421
10/29/12 08:08 PM
10/29/12 08:08 PM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: James Saptenno
If Johan is a retired pastor, MM is an active pastor, why not comment on his writing?

2. "I knew that Paul’s life is not of a sinless perfect life since the day of his newborn." Only Jesus lived a perfect, sinless life from birth to death. People live without sinning only while they are abiding in Jesus.

He clearly agree with me that is against you.

I cannot believe he didn't correct you on this statement and instead went off on some quote from a book no one has heard about, but to each his own I guess on this website. I wouldn't expect him to support me even if we are saying the same thing. And by the way, I give sermons at my church once a month, and to several other churches when asked, but I am not an ordained pastor and neither is he.

Mr Saptenno, if you look at the words brother Mountain Man said, he said people do not sin since the day of being a 'newborn', then he said "People live without sinning only while they are abiding in Jesus" or since RE-birth in Christ. Paul was born again and stayed in Christ from that day till his death.

So he was not siding with you on this statement unless you think we are born again from birth now?

Why did you not correct him on this M&M?

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146426
10/30/12 01:47 AM
10/30/12 01:47 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I don't know if Paul lived without sinning from day he experienced rebirth. It is certainly possible to do so. The Bible and the SOP are clear about it. Most people, however, fail to live without sinning from the day they experience rebirth. I, for one, have sinned since the day I experienced rebirth. Thank God for the promise in 1 John 2:1-2.

Page 23 of 25 1 2 21 22 23 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!