HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Rosangela] #150167
02/28/13 02:16 PM
02/28/13 02:16 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
It is interesting reading various translations and editions of the lesson this week, including Ellen White comments on the texts. It is clear that Ellen warns against using Scripture to prove that man was to have a dominating role over the wife.

Reading some of the EGW comments I get the impression that the text stating that because of sin the husband was to rule, that this was really a result of sin. Man would discover that he was physically stronger and get tempted to use this fact to dominate over his wife. With his strength he could not only subdue her, but get the idea that he also had the strength to subdue and sin against other women. This is really the curse of sin and this sin is not to flourish within our church.

This is a great warning to us.

Last edited by Johann; 02/28/13 02:17 PM.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Johann] #150189
03/01/13 09:13 AM
03/01/13 09:13 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Johann
It is interesting reading various translations and editions of the lesson this week, including Ellen White comments on the texts. It is clear that Ellen warns against using Scripture to prove that man was to have a dominating role over the wife.

Reading some of the EGW comments I get the impression that the text stating that because of sin the husband was to rule, that this was really a result of sin. Man would discover that he was physically stronger and get tempted to use this fact to dominate over his wife. With his strength he could not only subdue her, but get the idea that he also had the strength to subdue and sin against other women. This is really the curse of sin and this sin is not to flourish within our church.

This is a great warning to us.

Which statement of hers are you looking at?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Green Cochoa] #150190
03/01/13 10:28 AM
03/01/13 10:28 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Such as AH 117.

There is also in her writings a warning against using Scripture to prove that man has a dominant role.

Last edited by Johann; 03/01/13 10:30 AM.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Johann] #150191
03/01/13 10:54 AM
03/01/13 10:54 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Such as AH 117.

There is also in her writings a warning against using Scripture to prove that man has a dominant role.

And where is that statement?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Green Cochoa] #150192
03/01/13 11:05 AM
03/01/13 11:05 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mrs. White was a staunch supporter of men being the head of the house, as the following statement from her pen reveals.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The husband is the head of the family, as Christ is the head of the church; and any course which the wife may pursue to lessen his influence and lead him to come down from that dignified, responsible position is displeasing to God. It is the duty of the wife to yield her wishes and will to her husband. Both should be yielding, but the word of God gives preference to the judgment of the husband. And it will not detract from the dignity of the wife to yield to him whom she has chosen to be her counselor, adviser, and protector. The husband should maintain his position in his family with all meekness, yet with decision. (1T 307.1)

The beauty of Mrs. White's writings is their balance. She is against tyranny, and says that tyrannical men have no right to speak of their headship. She does not, by so saying, mean that they have not the headship of the home, simply she is saying that they do not exercise it properly and in the love of Christ. When a man has Christ, and God's love refining and softening his character, he is able to be the proper head of the home that God wishes him to be.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Green Cochoa] #150193
03/01/13 11:14 AM
03/01/13 11:14 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Here is another clarifying statement that demonstrates that the man being the head of the home is God's plan, not simply an after-effect of sin. God intends for it to be thus ordered, in order to institute peace in the home.

A neglect on the part of woman to follow God's plan in her creation, an effort to reach for important positions which He has not qualified her to fill, leaves vacant the position that she could fill to acceptance. In getting out of her sphere, she loses true womanly dignity and nobility. When God created Eve, He designed that she should possess neither inferiority nor superiority to the man, but that in all things she should be his equal. The holy pair were to have no interest independent of each other; and yet each had an individuality in thinking and acting. But after Eve's sin, as she was first in the transgression, the Lord told her that Adam should rule over her. She was to be in subjection to her husband, and this was a part of the curse. In many cases the curse has made the lot of woman very grievous and her life a burden. The superiority which God has given man he has abused in many respects by exercising arbitrary power. Infinite wisdom devised the plan of redemption, which places the race on a second probation by giving them another trial. {3T 484.1}

She laments, as we all should, that men have gone to extremes in exercising their superiority. But she acknowledges that it was God who established men's superiority, and as in the statement I posted earlier, she tells men that it is their duty to maintain their position as head of the home "with all meekness, yet with decision." In modern vernacular, those last two words would be converted to "decisively."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Green Cochoa] #150195
03/01/13 11:20 AM
03/01/13 11:20 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Such as AH 117.

And where is that statement?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Since you have the ability to find all of those statements, you should also be able to find some of the statements which balance them so beautifully.

Reply Quote
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Johann] #150196
03/01/13 11:39 AM
03/01/13 11:39 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Johann,

I think it would be futile to try to find the statement you are claiming, considering it would contradict her other statements and the Bible.

God established the headship of men over their women. It is biblical.

Instead of trying to find Mrs. White saying that the Bible should not be used to support it, why not see if the Bible does support it? If the Bible supports something, it would be contradictory for Mrs. White to say it doesn't, right? I don't expect that she would have so egregiously erred as that.

Here are some of those passages:

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire [shall be] to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Genesis 3:16)

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in every thing. (Ephesians 5:23-24)

But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman [is] the man; and the head of Christ [is] God. (1 Corinthians 11:3)

But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. (1 Timothy 2:11-13)

These are but a portion of the texts one might gather on the topic. Others include the qualifications of elders and deacons, including that they are men who rule their households well.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Last edited by Green Cochoa; 03/01/13 11:46 AM. Reason: Fixed the double copy in the quote

Reply Quote
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Green Cochoa] #150197
03/01/13 12:22 PM
03/01/13 12:22 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Mrs. White was a staunch supporter of men being the head of the house, as the following statement from her pen reveals.

The husband is the head of the family, as Christ is the head of the church; and any course which the wife may pursue to lessen his influence and lead him to come down from that dignified, responsible position is displeasing to God. It is the duty of the wife to yield her wishes and will to her husband. Both should be yielding, but the word of God gives preference to the judgment of the husband. And it will not detract from the dignity of the wife to yield to him whom she has chosen to be her counselor, adviser, and protector. The husband should maintain his position in his family with all meekness, yet with decision. (1T 307.1)

The beauty of Mrs. White's writings is their balance. She is against tyranny, and says that tyrannical men have no right to speak of their headship. She does not, by so saying, mean that they have not the headship of the home, simply she is saying that they do not exercise it properly and in the love of Christ. When a man has Christ, and God's love refining and softening his character, he is able to be the proper head of the home that God wishes him to be.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Quite interesting. Here Ellen White states that it is Christ who is the head of the church, and not man. Then that man is the head of the home when he is thus refined in God's love and also willing to yield to the wishes of his wife. It is a balance which works both ways.

Just last night we heard on the news that society has in recent years become so corrupt that men use their physical strength to show their superiority and ability to dominate over girls and women all around them.

From our living room window we see the bright lights in a large prison. Every ninth prisoner there is incarcerated for sexual crimes against women, one of them a 14-year old girl I know. Are any of those criminals Seventh-day Adventists? Unfortunately. You may never have served as a pastor.

One of the "saints" came to me as his pastor when he had served for two years in prison, claiming he was innocent, and lamenting the lacking support of his fellow believers. They should have told the judge what a saint he was. There was a girl sent to his farm from an Adventist mother in a city so she could be in safety from the city corruption.

Fortunately his wife was able to do all the chores with the cows so he could stay in bed with the girl to protect her. The time had come when the girl needed to know if she was sexually mature, so they prayed together to be protected from sin as they experimented together - just for her sake. So there was no sin involved.

I came to the district about the time he got out of prison. He explained to me what a good Bible teacher he was, and could not understand why he had not been re-installed as a Sabbath School superintendent and teacher. It was my duty, as his pastor, to see to it that he got his old jobs back in church.

This is just one of many similar experiences I have had through the years. A conference president once told me that one of the most difficult parts of his responsibility was dealing with saints in the church who were great spiritual leaders, but who used their male headship roles to have sexual relationships with young girls in their own families.

This is not a local phenomena because I have experienced similar things in several countries where I have worked.

It is about time that some of the saints wake up to the realities in life and stop supporting sin in the church with some seemingly supporting quotations to please the sinfulness of humanity.

May God have mercy!

Reply Quote
Re: 1st Quarter 2013 - ORIGINS [Re: Johann] #150198
03/01/13 12:39 PM
03/01/13 12:39 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Johann,

I see many good points in what you have posted. I also see a trend in society to vilify men and to "angelify" women. If you see the commercials that are becoming prevalent, men are always made to appear foolish, and women wise. This is having an effect on society's views.

Consider this: In light of the lessons this quarter on "origins," where did sin originate on our planet? Was it not with Eve? And how did she sin? Was it not on the point of appetite?

Eve lusted for food.

But Adam did not care for the fruit Eve brought him. Adam had no interest in that fruit at all. He did not desire it. His sin was not on account of lust for the fruit. He wanted her.

To this day, women tend to have appetites for food, and men have appetites for women.

Here's where those shouting "equality" should sit up and take notice: Why are prisons filled with "sexual sinners" but not filled with "food abusers?" Why do we criminalize a man's sin, but gloss over a woman's?

I will readily acknowledge that there are degrees of sin, and some sins are worse than others. But when we as a society fail to rebuke certain classes of sin, we do not realize how the evils of those sins end up affecting everyone.

Take a look at the following statement, for example.

Our physical health is maintained by that which we eat; if our appetites are not under the control of a sanctified mind, if we are not temperate in all our eating and drinking, we shall not be in a state of mental and physical soundness to study the word with a purpose to learn what saith the Scripture --what shall I do to inherit eternal life? Any unhealthful habit will produce an unhealthful condition in the system, and the delicate, living machinery of the stomach will be injured, and will not be able to do its work properly. The diet has much to do with the disposition to enter into temptation and commit sin. {CD 52.2}

So Mrs. White tells us that diet is the beginning of sin. How many women, over their own appetites, feed their menfolk that which in turn encourages them in sin?

It is the same story as in the Garden of Eden. Only, the men seem to get all the blame.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!