HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: Green Cochoa] #152831
06/04/13 06:03 AM
06/04/13 06:03 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
GC - Where I have ever defined justice as evil. This is again a demonstration of you twisting the facts. Executing justice, and Execution are two different things. Justice is doing the right thing. To you, justice is infliction of deserved punishment. What purpose does torture serve one who is going to die? Torture which you say sin can not cause, but God has to inflict.

Have you read pages 35 and 36 in The Great Controversy? How do you understand that page? I'd really like to know. These pages contain quotes like this, "Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work." and like this, "God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression". Are not these statements clear??????

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: truthseeker] #152832
06/04/13 07:27 AM
06/04/13 07:27 AM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: truthseeker
This is why relying solely on the KJV or any 1 translation will get you into trouble. I suggest you get a Lamsa's translation from the Aramaic as a co-study Bible.
Just saw your post truthseeker. I do not rely only on KJV. I do have multiple studying tools to help me do source word (Hebrew and Greek) study.

I have not heard of the Lamsa's translation and will look into it. Tx for sharing this.

Blessings
Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: APL] #152835
06/04/13 10:50 AM
06/04/13 10:50 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
GC - Where I have ever defined justice as evil. This is again a demonstration of you twisting the facts. Executing justice, and Execution are two different things. Justice is doing the right thing. To you, justice is infliction of deserved punishment. What purpose does torture serve one who is going to die? Torture which you say sin can not cause, but God has to inflict.

Have you read pages 35 and 36 in The Great Controversy? How do you understand that page? I'd really like to know. These pages contain quotes like this, "Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work." and like this, "God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression". Are not these statements clear??????

Maybe the "infliction of deserved punishment" is not only my idea of justice.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Christ consented to die in the sinner's stead that man, by a life of obedience, might escape the penalty of the law of God. The death of Christ did not slay the law, lessen its holy claims, or detract from its sacred dignity. He himself declared that he came not to destroy the law, but to fulfill. While the system of sacrificial offerings which prefigured the death of Christ was to expire with him, the moral law remained unchanged. Jesus proclaimed the justice of God in punishing the transgressors of his law, in that he took the penalty upon himself, in order to shield fallen man from its curse. Only by the sacrifice of Christ could man be redeemed, and the authority of the Divine law be maintained. The death of God's dear Son shows the immutability of his Father's law. {PrT, November 19, 1885 par. 3}

God's idea of justice involves deserved punishment. (If that punishment were undeserved, it would be unfair, and God would be in the wrong.) This is why God decreed the punishment that would come to Adam and Eve should they eat of the forbidden tree. Nor are Adam and Eve alive today, but have died at the word of the Lord. If they have been faithful, they will enter Heaven at last, for Jesus took their punishment upon Himself. But for those who do not accept Christ's atonement for them, they will bear their own guilt and punishment. This is part of God's justice.

Regarding GC 35 & 36, the context is clearly that of the manner in which God treats sinners now or formerly--specifically, the context is that of the Jewish people and their rejection of Christ. They had committed the greatest of all sins. Yet God did not then send down plagues from heaven upon them. Why? Because all of His judgments prior to the close of probation were to be mingled with mercy. After probation's close, this world will see events that will be astonishing and more severe than ever before witnessed.

God is the Master of the Universe. He is in charge. To God be the glory!

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: Green Cochoa] #152836
06/04/13 12:31 PM
06/04/13 12:31 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
gree, you ignored one important word in my comment, "inflict". Yes, sinner will die, the question is why. Does sin kill or does God kill the sinner. You're making your point clear, God executes sinners.

GC 35/36. "God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression". You say there is a context issue. What is the sentence for trangression of the law, Romans 6:23? Death. 1st or 2nd? 2nd. The first death is not the sentence for transgression of the law. Yes, it is a result of transgression, but it is not the final answer. Continue with the quote, "Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. {GC 36.1}" So what is the context? It is not just the Jews rejection of Christ, but the destruction of Jerusalem is a demonstration of the punishment that will fall on the guilty. And how was God involved with the destruction of Jerusalem? Read the quote again!!! God withdrew His protection, His protection is His mercy. Great Controversy pages 35 and 36 speak to us now and also tells us who is the acting subject at the close of probation. It is Satan rule and not God that inflict the last plagues. God's mercy, His restraining work is withdrawn, and all hell breaks loose.

Revelation 7:1-3 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. 2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

The four angels have power to hard the earth. How will they harm the earth? The stop holding back the winds. When their protection is withdrawn, then we will see Satan's work, and it is not pretty. It will be horrible. God is not the one causing the strife, Satan is.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: APL] #152837
06/04/13 12:54 PM
06/04/13 12:54 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression…. {DD 16.4}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: Green Cochoa] #152839
06/04/13 01:02 PM
06/04/13 01:02 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
GC 35/36. "God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression". You say there is a context issue. What is the sentence for trangression of the law, Romans 6:23? Death. 1st or 2nd? 2nd. The first death is not the sentence for transgression of the law. Yes, it is a result of transgression, but it is not the final answer. Continue with the quote, "Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. {GC 36.1}" So what is the context? It is not just the Jews rejection of Christ, but the destruction of Jerusalem is a demonstration of the punishment that will fall on the guilty. And how was God involved with the destruction of Jerusalem? Read the quote again!!! God withdrew His protection, His protection is His mercy. Great Controversy pages 35 and 36 speak to us now and also tells us who is the acting subject at the close of probation. It is Satan rule and not God that inflict the last plagues. God's mercy, His restraining work is withdrawn, and all hell breaks loose.

APL,

Have you properly taken into consideration the full context of Mrs. White's statement regarding the Jews? If so, how is it that you are not surprised at not seeing ALL sinners equally destroyed as were the Jews in Jerusalem? Why were they destroyed, but sinners in Rome, Egypt, Corinth, Nineveh, etc. were not? If you refer to the second death, why are not these cities equally judged? Is not any sin, however small, worthy of death? Why is Jerusalem so singularly destroyed?

Attempting to extend the context beyond where it is wont to go opens up a can of worms.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: Green Cochoa] #152840
06/04/13 01:21 PM
06/04/13 01:21 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
green - I think the statement of EGW answers your question, Jerusalem is an example. The whole Jewish experience is an example. Did you ignore the these 2 sentences? "Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. {GC 36.1}"

Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: APL] #152842
06/04/13 01:37 PM
06/04/13 01:37 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
green - I think the statement of EGW answers your question, Jerusalem is an example. The whole Jewish experience is an example. Did you ignore the these 2 sentences? "Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. {GC 36.1}"

God does not cause sin, right? God does not tempt us to sin, right? He has nothing to do with sin, right?

Then how does God's hatred of sin have any part in the matter, for you say that God does not kill, only sin does. Now, if sin is involved in doing something here, and God does not cause sin or promote it in any way, how would God be involved in the destruction of Jerusalem?

Why is it "punishment?" If God merely withdrew His protection, but had no other involvement beyond this, why should it be called "punishment?" Why not simply "consequences?"

Punishment is active, whereas consequences are passive. Punishment is the result of voluntary action, whereas consequences are involuntary. So why "punishment?"

If the destruction of Jerusalem came as a result of God's withdrawn protection, and God had no other involvement beyond this, then how could it have been termed "punishment?" Does Satan "punish" his followers? Does sin "punish?"

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: Green Cochoa] #152844
06/04/13 03:47 PM
06/04/13 03:47 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
If the destruction of Jerusalem came as a result of God's withdrawn protection, and God had no other involvement beyond this, then how could it have been termed "punishment?" Does Satan "punish" his followers? Does sin "punish?"
Have your read Great Controversy pages 35 and 36? Does it say God actively destroyed Jerusalem? Where? EGW statement on page 35 says, "Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God." This is Satan's claim. How is it any different than what you are saying?

Re: Does God Create Evil or Does God Permit Evil? [Re: APL] #152868
06/05/13 01:45 AM
06/05/13 01:45 AM
Norman  Offline
Posting New Member
Monticello GA. US
Hi APL,
I really didn't read any of the other posts. I just posted what I know to be true about God. The idea that God executed Christ in order to pay for the penalty of sin sounds a little pagan to me.

Pagans would appease their gods and execute, kill or sacrifice people. God was in Christ so there would be no executing. Also, Jesus was the sin bearing sacrifice who willingly gave His life. In dying as our sacrifice He made a way for us to escape the death we were all destined to.

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

It does say in Isaiah that it pleased God to bruise Him but there a big difference between bruise and execute. What God did was to allow sin to kill His Son, He died of a broken heart. 2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Norman

No one can make you upset unless you choose to be, otherwise you're a slave to all and everything that makes me mad
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!