HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 73 of 102 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 101 102
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #163185
03/09/14 04:01 PM
03/09/14 04:01 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: mm
The biblical expression "go up" very obviously means take by force of arms in battle. Note all the uses of the expression in the following passages:

It is obvious if that is the paradigm you want to believe it. It is very interesting that you completely negate EGW's interpretation. You quote Deuteronomy 1:41 Then ye answered and said unto me, We have sinned against the LORD, we will go up and fight, according to all that the LORD our God commanded us. And when ye had girded on every man his weapons of war, ye were ready to go up into the hill. What did EGW say about this very quotation? So terribly blinded had they become by transgression. The Lord had never commanded them to "go up and fight." It was not His purpose that they should gain the land by warfare, but by strict obedience to His commands. {PP 392.3} MM - is was NOT His [God's] purpose that they should gain the land by warfare. What part of "not His purpose that they should gain the land by warfare" is hard to understand? They were NEVER supposed to fight.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #163186
03/09/14 04:12 PM
03/09/14 04:12 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: APL
1. "God gave rules to minimize the damage." What rules are you referring to?

2. Do you believe Jesus commanded capital punishment and war because the Jews demanded it?

3. Were any laws broken when they utterly killed and destroyed every man, woman, and child?

4. Did they sin when they utterly killed and destroyed every man, woman, and child?

A: It is hard to speak to prejudiced crowds. I think the parable of the father and his daughter above lays out my position well.

I am certain the answers above accurately reflect your beliefs. Your fornication illustration makes it clear you believe the "rules" refer to Jesus' laws and commands to kill criminals and combatants. Just as fornication is a violation of the law, so too, killing criminals and combatants was a violation of the law. And, just as fornication is a sin, so too, killing criminals and combatants was a sin.

In conclusion, therefore, you believe Jesus commanded the Jews to sin.

I will again post what I have posted before:
"But the children of Israel did fight throughout all their natural existence, and under God's direction, too," it will be urged. That is very true, but it does not at all prove that it was God's purpose that they should fight. We must not forget that "their minds were blinded" by unbelief, so that they could not perceive the purpose of God for them. They did not grasp the spiritual realities of the kingdom of God, but were content with shadows instead; and the same God who bore with their hardness of heart in the beginning, and strove to teach them by shadows, when they would not have the substance, still remained with them, compassionately considerate of their infirmities. God himself suffered them, because of the hardness of their hearts, to have a plurality of wives, and even laid down rules regulating polygamy, in order to diminish as far as possible the resulting evils, but that does not prove that He designed it for them. We well know that "from the beginning it was not so." So when Jesus forbade His followers to fight in any cause whatever, He introduced nothing new, any more than when He taught that a man should have but one wife, and should cleave to her as long as he lived. He was simply enunciating first principles--preaching a thorough reformation.

A problem you have in understanding this MM is that you focus on behavior; these are "sins" little "s". Our behavior are symptoms of the disease we all have. You never cure a disease by only treating the symptoms. What we want to cure is SIN. "The Law" points out Sin, but it can't cure it, it has no remedy. You can point out "sin" all you want, but that does not cure the Sin. Salvation is healing, healing of the disease Sin.

Matthew 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bore our sicknesses. Jeremiah 17:14 Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for you are my praise.

Last edited by APL; 03/09/14 04:15 PM.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #163198
03/10/14 04:40 AM
03/10/14 04:40 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
As I said, you believe Jesus commanded the Jews to sin. The truth is, however, He commanded them to kill criminals and combatants. They did not demand it. He commanded it. They obeyed His command. In doing so, they did not sin.

You are twisting Ellen White's comment. Jesus did not command them to go and up fight in the sense He commanded them to retreat. You are trying to force it to mean something it obviously does not.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #163199
03/10/14 05:14 AM
03/10/14 05:14 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
MM - I see no way you get your interpretation of EGW's statement. None. Not there. Quoting the whole paragraph:
God had made it their privilege and their duty to enter the land at the time of His appointment, but through their willful neglect that permission had been withdrawn. Satan had gained his object in preventing them from entering Canaan; and now he urged them on to do the very thing, in the face of the divine prohibition, which they had refused to do when God required it. Thus the great deceiver gained the victory by leading them to rebellion the second time. They had distrusted the power of God to work with their efforts in gaining possession of Canaan; yet now they presumed upon their own strength to accomplish the work independent of divine aid. "We have sinned against the Lord," they cried; "we will go up and fight, according to all that the Lord our God commanded us." Deuteronomy 1:41. So terribly blinded had they become by transgression. The Lord had never commanded them to "go up and fight." It was not His purpose that they should gain the land by warfare, but by strict obedience to His commands. {PP 392.3}

The people were NEVER to fight. You not seeing that put you and me at an impasse. Killing is wrong. Divorce is wrong. These are sins, little "s". They are symptoms. You don't cure the disease by treating the symptoms alone. You are fixated on the behavior and true this is important, but it is not the whole picture. You can't know a person by looking at behavior alone. To be a murderer does not require killing someone. If you hate your brother, you are a murderer! Are you a murderer? Your incessant attempt to pigeon hole me will never fly because all you are looking it the outward behavior. Forget it. That is not where the money is. To be like Jesus, as revealed in His life here on earth is where the truth lies. Look to Jesus. If you really want to know God, you have to look at the best evidence given, and that is Jesus. (Hebrews 1:1-3)

War is grand and glorious, right? It is a wonderful thing, right? A sanctifying experience, bring us close to God, right? No, it is a hardening, demoralizing ordeal. God never wanted Israel to fight. Never. Question - Why was David not permitted to build the temple?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #163211
03/10/14 04:18 PM
03/10/14 04:18 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
In conclusion, therefore, you believe Jesus commanded the Jews to sin.
Quote:
As I said, you believe Jesus commanded the Jews to sin.
Unless you have changed your definition of murder, killing those who have not killed others, you therefore, believe Jesus commanded the Jews to murder.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #163215
03/10/14 05:39 PM
03/10/14 05:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Killing is wrong. Divorce is wrong. These are sins, little "s".

Which is why you believe Jesus commanded the Jews to sin. Your idea - not mine. You believe Jesus commanded capital punishment and war because the Jews demanded it. Your idea - not mine.

Why was David not permitted to build the temple?

The reason why David was not to build the temple was declared: "Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build a house unto My name. . . . Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies: . . . his name shall be Solomon [peaceable], and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days. He shall build a house for My name." 1 Chronicles 22:8-10. {PP 712.2}

Who commanded King David to kill enemy combatants? Jesus!

Quote:
2 Samuel
5:25 And David did so, as the LORD had commanded him; and smote the Philistines from Geba until thou come to Gazer.

King David obeyed the command to kill enemy combatants. He did that which was right in the eyes of the Lord. Jesus wasn't punishing King David when He forbade him to build the temple.

Quote:
1 Kings
15:5 Because David did [that which was] right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any [thing] that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

The first thing Solomon did as King was to kill his enemies.

Quote:
1 Kings
2:25 And king Solomon sent by the hand of Benaiah the son of Jehoiada; and he fell upon {Adonijah} that he died.
2:34 So Benaiah the son of Jehoiada went up, and fell upon {Joab}, and slew him: and he was buried in his own house in the wilderness.
2:46 So the king commanded Benaiah the son of Jehoiada; which went out, and fell upon {Shimei}, that he died. And the kingdom was established in the hand of Solomon.

He killed all these men before his famous dream and before he built the temple. In spite of the blood on his hands, Jesus commanded King Solomon to build the temple.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: kland] #163216
03/10/14 05:47 PM
03/10/14 05:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: In conclusion, therefore, you believe Jesus commanded the Jews to sin. . . . As I said, you believe Jesus commanded the Jews to sin.

K: Unless you have changed your definition of murder, killing those who have not killed others, you therefore, believe Jesus commanded the Jews to murder.

The difference between murder and obeying Jesus' command to kill is explained in the Bible. It is not murder when obeying Jesus' command to kill. Jesus commanded capital punishment. Executing capital punishment is not murder. Jesus commanded war. Killing enemy combatants in battle is not murder.

It is you, not I, who believes Jesus commanded the Jews to murder. It is you, not I, who believes Jesus commanded the Jews to sin.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #163217
03/10/14 05:52 PM
03/10/14 05:52 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Killing is wrong. Divorce is wrong. These are sins, little "s".

Which is why you believe Jesus commanded the Jews to sin. Your idea - not mine. You believe Jesus commanded capital punishment and war because the Jews demanded it. Your idea - not mine.

Why was David not permitted to build the temple?

The reason why David was not to build the temple was declared: "Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build a house unto My name. . . . Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies: . . . his name shall be Solomon [peaceable], and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days. He shall build a house for My name." 1 Chronicles 22:8-10. {PP 712.2}

Who commanded King David to kill enemy combatants? Jesus!

Quote:
2 Samuel
5:25 And David did so, as the LORD had commanded him; and smote the Philistines from Geba until thou come to Gazer.

King David obeyed the command to kill enemy combatants. He did that which was right in the eyes of the Lord.

Quote:
1 Kings
15:5 Because David did [that which was] right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any [thing] that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

The first thing Solomon did as King was to kill his enemies.

Quote:
1 Kings
2:25 And king Solomon sent by the hand of Benaiah the son of Jehoiada; and he fell upon {Adonijah} that he died.
2:34 So Benaiah the son of Jehoiada went up, and fell upon {Joab}, and slew him: and he was buried in his own house in the wilderness.
2:46 So the king commanded Benaiah the son of Jehoiada; which went out, and fell upon {Shimei}, that he died. And the kingdom was established in the hand of Solomon.

He killed all these men before his famous prayer and before he built the temple.

The fact that there was a king at all was a rejection of God. Is sure solved Israel's problems, right? Nope. We have no need to fight if we put our faith in God, not even in self-defense. If you can't see what God's real desire was for Israel, how can you understand all the bloodshed that followed. And for all that bloodshed, did Israel fulfill God's purpose? NO.

Jesus said, "If you have seem me, you have seen the Father", John 14:9

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #163219
03/10/14 06:08 PM
03/10/14 06:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL, you believe Jesus commanded the Jews to sin. I disagree. I believe it was right of them to obey Jesus' command to kill criminals and combatants. It would have been wrong of them to disobey.

When the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit created mankind they knew that they would have to implement the plan of salvation and that they would have to fight and win the great controversy. They could have decided not to create mankind. Instead, they chose to create mankind and deal with the great controversy. Jesus knew in advance He would command the Jews to kill criminals and combatants.

"Because David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite." Jesus does not say King David sinned because he obeyed Jesus' commands to kill criminals and enemy combatants.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #163220
03/10/14 06:11 PM
03/10/14 06:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus said, "If you have seem me, you have seen the Father", John 14:9

It was Jesus who commanded the Jews to kill criminals and enemy combatants.

Page 73 of 102 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 101 102

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!