HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: Daryl] #168119
09/15/14 11:54 PM
09/15/14 11:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus said, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Elsewhere He said, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them."

Peter wrote, "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit." "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit."

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: Mountain Man] #168128
09/16/14 07:11 AM
09/16/14 07:11 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
It is lawful to do well on the Sabbath. Buy a meal for the homeless. Buy gas for the stranded motorist.

But buying for oneself is not quite so altruistic. Furthermore, as you do well for the stranded homeless motorist, you tempt the gas-selling restauranteur. Isn't there a way to help the needy without stumbling the greedy?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: Mountain Man] #168129
09/16/14 07:14 AM
09/16/14 07:14 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Jesus said, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Elsewhere He said, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them."

Peter wrote, "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit." "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit."

Those texts do seem to have a dualistic flavor.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: asygo] #168131
09/16/14 07:41 AM
09/16/14 07:41 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: asygo

Our belief regarding the state of the dead denies dualistic concepts such as the immortality of the soul. However, some of our other views, such as the stuggle between the flesh and the spirit, are being labeled by some as dualistic. Some even go so far as to say that Paul did not believe it, but used the metaphor in order to reach the Gentiles.

What are the arguments for and against this idea? How much can we distinguish between the spirit and the flesh, if at all? Are there non-Pauline Scriptures that make a distinction?

It's interesting that prior to being exposed to Greek philosophies the concepts of flesh and spirit seemed so simple.

The flesh refers to our bodies with it's needs, tiredness, hunger, etc. etc. The spirit is the intelligent, thinking, and emotional part of the human -- basically the thinking processes of the mind.
One is dependant upon the other. The processes of the mind cannot function without the body. At death we are told, the thoughts perish -- that is the END. The body can somewhat live without the full function of the mind, but it's soon apparent that something is wrong, and if the mind shuts down completely, the body dies. Body and Spirit are both necessary for a fully functioning human being.

Spirit is also at times equated with "breath". The breath of life. It is this breath of life that enables the fleshly mass of our brains to think, plan, reason as well as send out all kinds of signals to our bodies so they function correction.

It really isn't so hard to understand unless one gets into the Greek perversions of reasoning, that somehow our thoughts and who we are isn't dependant upon the body that God created in such a marvelous way that we can reason, and think, and plan, and experience life.

Spiritualism has been around for most of earth's history, and it wants us to believe differently, so fallen angels can impersonate the dead.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: asygo] #168132
09/16/14 08:18 AM
09/16/14 08:18 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Jesus said, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Here Jesus is speaking of the work of the HOLY SPIRIT.
Our "spirit" is still our minds and thoughts,
We are willing (that refers to our wishes)
But the flesh is weak (natural inclinations keep us back)

Quote:
Elsewhere He said, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them."

Obviously this is not talking about a literal heart, Again it is talking about giving us a "new heart" or new sense of love for God and love for mankind (the very foundation of the ten commandments)-- our emotions are new, desiring to follow Christ.
A new spirit -- is new thought patterns, new way of reasoning that is not based on worldly norms.

Quote:
Peter wrote, "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit." 1 Peter 3:18

Compare:
"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved" (Ephesians 2:4-5)

Jesus Christ who was sinless, died once on the cross for sinners, and was resurrected to reconcile sinners with God.

He died but He was raised to life by the Holy Spirit -- and we who dead in sins must be raised to spiritual life by the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
"For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." 1 Peter 4:6

When had the gospel been preached to them, while they were still alive or while they were already dead? The purpose of preaching to them was that they "live according to God in the spirit".
But apparently they kept "living in the flesh" in other words they were not "reborn" by the holy Spirit" thus they are judged according to men in the flesh.

You see this all the way through --
living according to the flesh is letting natural inclinations rule.
living according to the Spirit, is letting the Holy Spirit change our "spirit" our minds, our thoughts.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: Daryl] #168133
09/16/14 08:23 AM
09/16/14 08:23 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The belief in soul sleep is more foundational than many realize. Not only does it help us to avoid spiritualism but also the whole end time understanding rests rather heavily on this belief.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: dedication] #168141
09/16/14 06:05 PM
09/16/14 06:05 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
Quote:
"For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." 1 Peter 4:6

When had the gospel been preached to them, while they were still alive or while they were already dead? The purpose of preaching to them was that they "live according to God in the spirit".
But apparently they kept "living in the flesh" in other words they were not "reborn" by the holy Spirit" thus they are judged according to men in the flesh.

I just thought of something. Could this verse be talking about those who were physically alive but dead in sin?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: asygo] #168146
09/16/14 11:25 PM
09/16/14 11:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: It is lawful to do well on the Sabbath. Buy a meal for the homeless. Buy gas for the stranded motorist.

A: But buying for oneself is not quite so altruistic. Furthermore, as you do well for the stranded homeless motorist, you tempt the gas-selling restauranteur. Isn't there a way to help the needy without stumbling the greedy?

It is a matter of the spirit versus the letter of the law. Do well on the Sabbath.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: Mountain Man] #168160
09/17/14 04:04 PM
09/17/14 04:04 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
M: It is lawful to do well on the Sabbath. Buy a meal for the homeless. Buy gas for the stranded motorist.

A: But buying for oneself is not quite so altruistic. Furthermore, as you do well for the stranded homeless motorist, you tempt the gas-selling restauranteur. Isn't there a way to help the needy without stumbling the greedy?

It is a matter of the spirit versus the letter of the law. Do well on the Sabbath.

And that leads us to the debate over dualism. One of the biggest gripes against dualism is that it leads to the attitude that as long as the spirit is "right" the actions of the body are irrelevant. It also implies that He who wrote the letter of the law did not quite grasp the spirit.

In our context, you are saying that it is perfectly fine to be a spiritual stumbling block to store owner Steve and waiter Walter as long as you are spiritually helping homeless Harry. Perhaps the root of the problem is that you did not go to the store on Friday, leaving you with the avoidable problem of hurting one whle helping the other.

Furthermore, hungry homeless Harry neither explains nor excuses why Charlie church member and his family/friends eat at the restaurant after church.

Last edited by asygo; 09/17/14 04:08 PM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2014 - The Teachings of Jesus [Re: Daryl] #168176
09/18/14 12:53 AM
09/18/14 12:53 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Happy Sabbath.

Reply Quote
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!