HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Animal Abuse [Re: Bonnie] #91481
08/21/07 01:35 AM
08/21/07 01:35 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Bonnie, thank you for sharing your opinion and insights.

I got something different out of the story. But to each her own. \:\)

It is of my opinion from what I know of John Robbins, is that he is an ethical person. It is my understanding that he gave up his part of the Baskin Robbins fortune, because of his beliefs. I personally don't see someone with these type of personal ethics to make up stories.

John's uncle, Burton Baskin, a co-founder of Baskin-Robbins, died in his early 50's from a fatal heart attack. John talks about it in his book, The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World on page 11.

"The only son of the founder of the Baskin-Robbins ice cream empire, John Robbins was groomed to follow in his father's footsteps, but chose to walk away from Baskin-Robbins and the immense wealth it represented to ".....pursue the deeper American Dream...the dream of a society at peace with its conscience because it respects and lives in harmony with all life forms. A dream of a society that is truly healthy, practicing a wise and compassionate stewardship of a balanced ecosystem."

If John's writings were lies, I would think that the meat industry would purse something more against John, then to send him parcels of bovine excrement. Instead of getting angry, he just applies it to his garden. A Little Insight into John Robbins by Ted Altar. Remember the cattle industry went after Oprah and Howard Lyman. Howard Lyman: The Mad Cowboy
 Quote:
HUSTLER: Tell us about the lawsuit in which you and Oprah were sued under the Food Disparagement Act.
LYMAN: The Food Disparagement Act was in 13 states, and it basically said you could not say something you knew to be false about a perishable commodity.
HUSTLER: Did you or Oprah say anything that was false?
LYMAN: No, but the cattlemen didn’t sue us to find out whether what we said was true or false; they sued us to still the debate in the media. Immediately after we did the Oprah show, the cattle industry pulled $600,000 of advertising. They wanted to show the media that there was a cost associated with picking a fight with the meat industry.

Being Human in This World, A Personal Credo by John Robbins

John Robbins is a recipient of the Rachel Carson Award, the Albert Schweitzer Humanitarian Award, and the Peace Abbey's Courage of Conscience Award.

Re: Animal Abuse [Re: crater] #91482
08/21/07 02:10 AM
08/21/07 02:10 AM
B
Bonnie  Offline
Charter Member
Big Lake ,MN.
Crater,
You simply have no understanding of the type of mind set you are dealing with. For those that do this they will tell you they are operating with the highest ethics. Whatever it takes to shut down, make more rigid the laws of these evil people that raise animals for food consumption. One on one they will tell you they will lie if necessary and will accommplish what they consider the best for the animal.
And most is not opinion thank you, it is from living on a farm for seventeen years, and having neighbors that raised hogs

The first thing he is dead wrong on is his description of the housing of the hogs. Generally only the sows are crated and done so in such a way as to allow the babies to nurse at will without the mother laying on them and smothering them.
Funny he didn't mention any baby pigs having to scale a height of three crate to nurse.

As to this man's son having to butcher the pet pig by himself, almost certainly not true. I could give you a very descriptive account of how this is done on the farm, but for those squemish will forgo that. A young boy or teen cannot kill and butcher a full grown pig.
But many farm children have seen an animal that they have made a pet of butchered and eaten.

No responsible livestock raiser will allow people into his facilities randomly. Just doesn't happen. No livestock raiser knowlingly and willingly allows any animal rights activist on the place. As soon as they realize who they are, they are shown the shortest route to leave.

What do you expect that the livestock raiser can or should do against people like this. I will take a quick check and give you a link to some pig crates and then maybe you can tell me how these can be stacked three high and yet allow for the nursing of the babies.

Not opinion, mainly 17 years experience with animal activists and having farmers for neighbors.

These are the same people that DO NOT want sheep sheared. Nor do they want their tails docked and if they could you would be put out of business. Docking tails serves a very real purpose

Re: Animal Abuse [Re: Bonnie] #91483
08/21/07 02:17 AM
08/21/07 02:17 AM
B
Bonnie  Offline
Charter Member
Big Lake ,MN.
Can someone explain how they think these type of crates are stacked three high and yet the babises have a way to nurse in the feces and uring. Not going to happen by anyone remotely concerned with the bottom line

http://www.vittetoe.com/farrowing.htm

Here is a classic example of their less than honest approach. For those that are unfamiliar they just suck up the propaganda they are fed.

HSUS >> Factory Farming >> Multimedia >> Gallery >> Pigs
Mutilations and Overcrowding

(quote)USDA
Factory-farmed pigs raised for meat undergo painful mutilations—including castration and tail docking—without anesthesia. For six months, they are fattened in overcrowded, filthy sheds or pens.(/quote)

What a bunch of nonesense and No not opinion. I did both while raising cattle and sheep.

By the time you could deaden the area, which is not without discomfort by itself, the job is done. That is the type of explaintion that is conveniently left out.

A animal that is in pain does not nurse or join in with the with the antics of the other young stock.
By the time I was done docking and castrating an animal it took all of 3 minutes max to do it, disinfect and watch to see there were no adverse affects. They would immediately run back to nursing and running around.

Last edited by Bonnie; 08/21/07 02:27 AM.
Re: Animal Abuse [Re: Daryl] #182971
03/26/17 08:53 PM
03/26/17 08:53 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I read this thread this morning. I just studied the the SS lesson for today, and in the very first scripture, Luke 5:1-11, Jesus works a miracle for Peter by having him let down his fishing net and supernaturally filling it with fish.

I wonder how many PETA supporters consider this animal abuse by Jesus, as those fish came into Peter's net at the command of Jesus. He, for all intents and purposes, killed those fish so that people could eat.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!