at the Last Supper? Lets see...

Judas, much like the other disciples, had flaws and shared a misunderstanding about the true character of the Messiah. Like many Jews, they thought that Christ would be a leader who would overthrow the Roman Empire and put Israel at the head of all the nations. But he had a great opportunity to learn what the truth was, and walk in faith.

But SOP goes deeper into his character which shows what issues he had, “Judas possessed a form of godliness… He professed to be a disciple of Christ, but in words and in works denied Him. Judas had the same precious opportunities … to study and to imitate the Pattern. He listened to the lessons of Christ, and his character might have been transformed by divine grace. ..Judas was violating his conscience, [60] yielding to temptation, and fastening upon himself habits of dishonesty that would transform him into the image of Satan.”
So Judas had a ground floor opportunity as they say, he was there with the twelve every day, listening to the truth from Christ himself, so what happened?

“… All profess to be Christ's followers; but while one class walk in humility and meekness, learning of Jesus, the other show that they are not doers of the word, but hearers only. One class are sanctified through the truth; the other know nothing of the transforming power of divine grace….” The Sanctified Life, pg 60.

So was Judas doomed by his character flaws, SOP tells us:
“When Judas joined the disciples, he was not insensible to the beauty of the character of Christ.… If he would open his heart to Christ, divine grace would banish the demon of selfishness, and even Judas might become a subject of the kingdom of God.” The Desire of Ages, p. 294.

Was there a remedy for all these character flaws? Yes, it would have been a total surrender of his life to the control of Christ. But here was the problem, as SOP shows: “Judas did not come to the point of surrendering himself fully to Christ. He did not give up his worldly ambition or his love of money. While he accepted the position of a minister of Christ, he did not bring himself under the divine molding. He felt that he could retain his own judgment and opinions, and he cultivated a disposition to criticize and accuse.” The Desire of Ages,., p. 716.

He had great opportunity of surrendering himself fully to Christ, and Jesus did not give up on Judas. But time was running out, we find his last chance occurred when Jesus washed his feet during the foot-washing ceremony.

Let’s look in Matthew 26:20-25:
“20 Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.21 And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.22 And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?23 And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me.24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.25 Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.” Matthew 26:20-25.

SOP says, “When the Saviour's hands were bathing those soiled feet, and wiping them with the towel, the heart of Judas thrilled through and through with the impulse then and there to confess his sin. But he would not humble himself. He hardened his heart against repentance; and the old impulses, for the moment put aside, again controlled him. … He was possessed by a demon, and he resolved to complete the work he had agreed to do in betraying his Lord.” The Desire of Ages,., p. 645.

Judas believed but he did not take the next step...

Last edited by Rick H; 09/29/18 10:04 AM.