HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: Nadi] #188173
01/02/19 03:32 AM
01/02/19 03:32 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Nadi

Perhaps consider an alternative view that there does not exist a "probation," as neither this word nor concept is to be found in Scripture.

Probationary time -- is a privilege given to the human race at great cost -- it was purchased for us by Christ on the cross.

Without the cross their would be no probationary time -- the end of all would be death, we would have no choice for we have all sinned and the wages of sin is death.

But we have been offered LIFE!!!!
Will we accept it
or will we reject it?

The word "probation" may not be in scripture, but you will find the urgent call to forsake sin and accept Christ and the life He offers, all through scripture.

Now, today, that offer is still extended to all living human beings.

Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: Nadi] #188174
01/02/19 03:12 PM
01/02/19 03:12 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: dedication
To say people have already been judged and sealed some years back, is to say probation is over.
It is not.
Just commenting on that statement, probation IS indeed over for some people. They are DEAD. And forever sealed, one way or the other.

Perhaps consider an alternative view that there does not exist a "probation," as neither this word nor concept is to be found in Scripture.

Re 22:11 "He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still."

If that is not talking about probation, could you tell us what that is talking about?

Re 22:14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.
Re 22:15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: dedication] #188175
01/02/19 03:16 PM
01/02/19 03:16 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
When I think about it -- in my lifetime there must have been maybe 100 failed predictions by people thinking they know the times and dates of the work of God.

The first one I remember was 1964 (you know 120 years since 1844, "as in the days of Noah")
Either you must be older than I or I must have been sheltered!

Quote:
Every time Halley’s Comet comes around,
Though I've seen plenty, but not 100 of them. I recall someone passing around tapes about how the author said "god" showed her California was going drop off into the ocean. Some many decades ago.

But probation has ended for many of them...

Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: His child] #188176
01/02/19 03:22 PM
01/02/19 03:22 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
From Monday's lesson:

Revelation’s end-time prophecies are not revealed to satisfy our obsessive curiosity about the future. The book reveals only those aspects of the future important for us to know. They are disclosed to impress upon us the seriousness of what will happen so that we will realize our dependence on God and, in that dependence, obey Him.

For centuries, speculation - and even more sensationalism - has accompanied so much of the teaching regarding end-time events. Fortunes have been made by those who, predicting the immediate end, have scared people into giving money to their ministry because, well, the end was near. Each time, though, the end didn’t come, and people were left disillusioned and discouraged. As with all the good things God has given us, prophecy can be misused, and misinterpreted, as well.

Hmmm....

Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: kland] #188177
01/02/19 06:34 PM
01/02/19 06:34 PM
N
Nadi  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2020
Canada
If that is not talking about probation, could you tell us what that is talking about?

No, I can't.

I can, however, tell you how I understand it.

In the context of the entire phrase, the angel is telling John:

1. Not to seal up the prophecy (unlike Daniel) because the time is short. (This is an entirely different discussion)

2. Those who "do wrong," "are vile," "do right," "are holy" will and can continue to do what they are doing. It does not indicate that they MUST continue, only that they WILL. There is no suggestion of any probation or close of same, nor that they no longer have a choice to change. This is more analogous to "everyone carries on doing what they are doing," somewhat like Matthew 24: 37-39, where everyone was doing what they were doing until the flood came.

Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: kland] #188178
01/03/19 07:22 AM
01/03/19 07:22 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

The first one I remember was 1964 (you know 120 years since 1844, "as in the days of Noah")
Either you must be older than I or I must have been sheltered!

Though I've seen plenty, but not 100 of them.

I don't know where you were in 1964, but I was just entering my teens, and for my friends and I it was kind of scary -- we thought we would never have a chance to grow up and marry and have children, as we were told there would be none of that in heaven. Silly of us.
But the signs that were generating the idea 1964 could be the end, were
-- the USA had it's first Catholic president, the cold war was intense, Russia and the USA were having a nuclear arms race making enough weapons to annihilate the whole world many times over, everyone was sure the Russians would send Nuclear bombs on us and the world would be a terrible place -- a time of trouble as never was. Then the Cuban Missile Crisis had the world on the edge of another World War as the United States and USSR came close to launching nuclear attacks.

So yes, that was my first introduction of people date setting for the end of the world. Though no one set an actual date -- yet there were implications of something coming in the fall of 1964 (120 years after 1844 date)

It would be interesting to make a list of all the dates presented for "the world to end" -- it may be surprising how many there have been.

And yes, for a great many people that were alive in 1964, probation has ended -- for nearly the whole generation of people who were the active, middle aged adults, teachers, preachers, parents, employers, etc back then, only a few are left. And even some of the younger ones are no longer alive.

It only goes to show -- that we shouldn't be waiting for some extra ordinary finality of earth's history to arouse us to prepare spiritually, just to slump down into complacency once the speculated date passes, but rather it is to be a daily preparation, a daily commitment to the Lord, not based on stimulated excitement, but a steady seeking after God's will every day, and a continuous walk with Christ.

Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: Nadi] #188181
01/04/19 10:15 PM
01/04/19 10:15 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

2. Those who "do wrong," "are vile," "do right," "are holy" will and can continue to do what they are doing. It does not indicate that they MUST continue, only that they WILL. There is no suggestion of any probation or close of same, nor that they no longer have a choice to change. This is more analogous to "everyone carries on doing what they are doing," somewhat like Matthew 24: 37-39, where everyone was doing what they were doing until the flood came.

The first part of Revelation seems to reference the sanctuary. Was there a "probation" time during the Jewish year of the sanctuary service?

Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: dedication] #188182
01/04/19 11:55 PM
01/04/19 11:55 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Just like the parable of the boy who kept crying "wolf" soon nobody listened, and when the wolf actually came no one was ready for him.

The problem with the people who panicked when there was no wolf is that they didn't test everything with scripture, especially their own lives. There is going to be a midnight cry and it will not be a "wolf" cry, it will swell to a "loud cry".

Some here use Gate's willingness to examine what others are saying like Ernie Knowles, as a strike against him. It should be viewed as a virtue to listen to what others are saying and test it with scripture. Gates did that but didn't see the error at first. But it wasn't long before the Lord corrected him. God is more please with those who are willing to test what others are saying than with those who are content with what they already know.

For example, the Lord has been speaking for the last 160 plus years to the church that we don't understand the books of Daniel and Revelation as we should, that they do indeed apply preeminently to the end. How many will be able to be sanctified in the truth contained in them if they remain in willful ignorance or denial until the seven trumpets sound when there's no denying it. Not that I've been sanctified in it myself but forgetting those things that are behind I press on toward the mark.

Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: kland] #188183
01/05/19 12:23 AM
01/05/19 12:23 AM
N
Nadi  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2020
Canada
The first part of Revelation seems to reference the sanctuary. Was there a "probation" time during the Jewish year of the sanctuary service?

I don't think there ever was such a thing as "probation," unless the term is being used in a specialized way. In which case one would need to clarify their use of the term.

In the "Are we at the close of probation?" thread, starting at about page 4 and going to about 9, I discuss some of my views of probation. Also in the "What do we take to heaven" thread but I'm not sure where.

While I agree that at death there is no more opportunity to make any choices, I think the opportunity to choose Jesus will remain open until His actual appearing in the heavens. It doesn't "close" at the time of trouble, or the Sunday law, or "after the mark of the beast is implemented," or any other such arbitrary event.

The term "probation" indicates a time period where one proves commitment, or ability, or some other such skill or characteristic. One is "on probation" at a new job, or in a club or society they have just joined. A criminal has a "probation officer" and they are "on probation" to help them get back into society.
Salvation, however, is not contingent on our ability or skill, but on God's grace. We do not need to "prove" anything to anyone because God knows all things, and he is the one making the judgement. (This also rules out the Investigative Judgment doctrine which, IMO, is also unsupported by Scripture) Our entire obligation is to Accept Jesus, and it is then God's responsibility to do the rest. (And this is not a discussion of the Christian life and growth.)

"Our vision is often more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge." K. Stendahl
Re: God is wrapping it up! [Re: His child] #188189
01/05/19 03:12 AM
01/05/19 03:12 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Charity
For example, the Lord has been speaking for the last 160 plus years to the church that we don't understand the books of Daniel and Revelation as we should, that they do indeed apply preeminently to the end. How many will be able to be sanctified in the truth contained in them if they remain in willful ignorance

That may very well be true.
Yet, as long as people are looking primarily for identification of time and events they will not gain any deeper understanding of the sanctifying truth in these books.

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!