HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: Green Cochoa] #193839
02/28/21 10:05 AM
02/28/21 10:05 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
It is notable that when clear and irrefutable statements from the Bible and Ellen White are posted, no response to those points is offered. Those opposed to these truths can only take the conversation in a different direction with statements from extra-prophetic sources.

I don't trust the wisdom of men. I need a "thus saith the Lord" in support of my beliefs. Mrs. White offers a warning specific to our "old landmarks" that is worth keeping in mind.

Originally Posted by Ellen White
Satan hopes to involve the remnant people of God in the general ruin that is coming upon the earth. As the coming of Christ draws nigh, he will be more determined and decisive in his efforts to overthrow them. Men and women will arise professing to have some new light or some new revelation whose tendency is to unsettle faith in the old landmarks. Their doctrines will not bear the test of God?s word, yet souls will be deceived. {CCh 344.4}

False reports will be circulated, and some will be taken in this snare. They will believe these rumors and in their turn will repeat them, and thus a link will be formed connecting them with the archdeceiver. This spirit will not always be manifested in an open defiance of the messages that God sends, but a settled unbelief is expressed in many ways. Every false statement that is made feeds and strengthens this unbelief, and through this means many souls will be balanced in the wrong direction. {CCh 344.5}

We cannot be too watchful against every form of error, for Satan is constantly seeking to draw men from the truth.613 {CCh 344.6}

She has spoken clearly that the "fundamental principles," the "pillars of our faith," are not to be changed. She has stated clearly that these fundamental truths held "for the past fifty years" (she made the statement in 1905 well before the Trinity dogma had come into our published beliefs) are not to be changed.

It all boils down to this: Will we trust her writings?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: Green Cochoa] #193840
02/28/21 10:15 AM
02/28/21 10:15 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
You have NOT shown any proof whatsoever, that EGW included the early belief that several leading pioneers brought in from their previous connection with Unitarian, and Congregationist Churches, as a "pillar".

Nowhere does she call these pillars
1. Only the Father is true God, Christ is just pro-created Divine person with the spirit of God in Him,
2. The Holy Spirit was just an essence from God the Father, not a person at all

Where does EGW say those early ideas were any kind of "PILLAR" of Adventist Doctrines?"

And no -- her saying the "personality of God" does NOT qualify .
That God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, are all loving, caring , helping, compassionate persons, is a central belief of the heavenly Godhead or trio, and not just powerful essence floating round is foundational. EGW strongly supported that from 1888 onward.

If you want to know where those early beliefs that they brought in led to -- just study what happened to the belief in Christ, in Unitarian Churches.
Back in the early 1800's they believed pretty much identical to the men who brought the teaching into the Adventist church --
The "Unitarian Controversy" rose in America early in the 1800's. anti trinitarian, anti-creedal, anti-Calvinist wing of New England Congregationalism. They believed that only God the Father was God. Christ pre-existed in the form of divine spirit, which spirit at the incarnation then indwelled the body of Jesus. The Holy Spirit was a part of God.
In the years that followed, Unitarians basically ended up rejecting that Christ was Divine at all, and to worship Him was idolatry. Though some claimed God said people could worship Christ, as the worship went through Him to the Father.
The Unitarians split from the Congregationist church, which wasn't comfortable with their departure from Christ. Unitarians today don't believe in a Divine Christ.
Several of the Adventist pioneers had been members of the Congregationalist "Connectex" church.
They basically brought the early form of Unitarian belief on this theme, with them into the Adventist Church.

It was NOT a pillar doctrine at all. Never mentioned to be one.

We can document a gradual shift in the Adventist Church, taking place which hugely picked up after 1888 "the glory, the majesty, the righteousness of Christ, full of goodness and truth, have been presented; the fullness of the Godhead in Jesus Christ has been set forth among us with beauty and loveliness, to charm all whose hearts were not closed with prejudice. We know that God has wrought among us."

While there were still a few who clung to the old concepts which held Christ at a lower position, there were MANY who moved forward recognizing the full Deity of Christ with the Father, long before 1939.

Satan hates Christ --
We don't want to join in his program.
" To dispute the supremacy of the Son of God, thus impeaching the wisdom and love of the Creator, had become the purpose of this prince of angels. To this object he was about to bend the energies of that master mind, PP37

Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: Green Cochoa] #193841
02/28/21 10:40 AM
02/28/21 10:40 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
n 1888 EGW told the pioneers they needed to give up PRECONCEIVED IDEAS

Originally Posted by Ellen G. White
"An unwillingness to yield up preconceived opinions, and to accept this truth, lay at the foundation of a large share of the opposition manifested at Minneapolis against the Lord's message through Brethren [E.J. Waggoner and A.T. Jones] 1SM236

"
When Brother Waggoner brought out these ideas in Minneapolis, it was the first clear teaching on this subject from any human lips I had heard, excepting the conversations between myself and my husband. I have said to myself, It is because God has presented it to me in vision that I see it so clearly, and they cannot see it because they have never had it presented to them as I have. And when another presented it, every fiber of my heart said, Amen.--Ms 5, p. 10. (Sermon, Rome, New York, June 19, 1889.) {5MR 219.1}

It was those older pioneers whose resisted the light of truth.

Originally Posted by Ellen G White
RH.1890-05-27.006
The third angel's message will not be comprehended, the light which will lighten the earth with its glory will be called a false light, by those who refuse to walk in its advancing glory. The work that might have been done, will be left undone by the rejecters of truth, because of their unbelief. We entreat of you who oppose the light of truth, to stand out of the way of God's people. Let Heaven-sent light shine forth upon them in clear and steady rays. God holds you to whom this light has come, responsible for the use you make of it. Those who will not hear will be held responsible; for the truth has been brought within their reach, but they despised their opportunities and privileges. Messages bearing the divine credentials have been sent to God's people; the glory, the majesty, the righteousness of Christ, full of goodness and truth, have been presented; the fullness of the Godhead in Jesus Christ has been set forth among us with beauty and loveliness, to charm all whose hearts were not closed with prejudice. We know that God has wrought among us.

Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: dedication] #193842
02/28/21 11:03 AM
02/28/21 11:03 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted by dedication
You have NOT shown any proof whatsoever, that EGW included the early belief that several leading pioneers brought in from their previous connection with Unitarian, and Congregationist Churches, as a "pillar".

1. Only the Father is true God, Christ is just pro-created Divine person with the spirit of God in Him,
2. The Holy Spirit was just an essence from God the Father, not a person at all

Where does EGW say those early ideas were any kind of "PILLAR" of Adventist Doctrines?"

Think about this. When Dr. Kellogg advanced his pantheistic views, Mrs. White had VERY MUCH to say against them. She further informed us that Dr. Kellogg was on a wrong track theologically (he progressed to Trinitarianism afterward). She never once commended his acceptance of the Trinity dogma, and made it abundantly clear to all that his views were no longer to be trusted.

When the pioneers taught and published their non-trinitarian views, she remained silent. She never once raised her voice against this. The non-trinitarian "fundamental principles" were published in 1872 and in 1889--the year after the big 1888 event--and she never once even hinted that they were in error. In 1905, she referred to these "fundamental principles" as "pillars" from which "not a pin" should be moved.

These facts, taken together, speak volumes.

The history of our beliefs shows what we believed in Mrs. White's day. No one would argue we still believe the same doctrines today. What was once held to be truth is now accounted error--just as Mrs. White said would happen.

This is the omega apostasy. It has taken us by stealth and by degrees until we think we are correct in our "new light," when in actuality we are caught in a great deception.

And no -- her saying the "personality of God" does NOT qualify .

Why not? Because you said so? Because you don't like it or don't want it to? It is very clear that "the personality of God and of Christ" makes no mention of the Holy Spirit. It is a non-trinitarian statement and it matches exactly what the pioneers held to be true.

Again, from the 1872 "Fundamental Principles" held by our pioneers:
"Fundamental Principles" (1872)
(Non-trinitarian)
Two Doctrines addressing God and Christ: 1 & 2
-I-
That there is one God, a personal, spiritual being, the creator of all things, omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal, infinite in wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness, truth, and mercy; unchangeable, and everywhere present by his representative, the Holy Spirit. Ps. 139:7. {1872, FP1872 4.2}

-II-
That there is one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Eternal Father, the one by whom God created all things, and by whom they do consist; that he took on him the nature of the seed of Abraham for the redemption of our fallen race; that he dwelt among men full of grace and truth, lived our example, died our sacrifice, was raised for our justification, ascended on high to be our only mediator in the sanctuary in Heaven, where, with his own blood he makes atonement for our sins; which atonement so far from being made on the cross, which was but the offering of the sacrifice, is the very last portion of his work as priest, according to the example of the Levitical priesthood, which foreshadowed and prefigured the ministry of our Lord in Heaven. See Lev. 16; Heb. 8:4, 5; 9:6, 7; etc. {1872, FP1872 4.3}

That God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, are all loving, caring , helping, compassionate persons, is a central belief of the heavenly Godhead or trio, and not just powerful essence floating round is foundational. EGW strongly supported that from 1888 onward.

I agree with this. Neither the pioneers, nor Ellen White, nor I have ever believed God was "just a powerful essence floating round." Please do not again repeat this error. Remember, that every time error is repeated, it grows stronger. I may not address your errors in detail going forward for this very reason--for Mrs. White tells us we should not repeat errors like this.

In fact, I won't repeat the rest of your post nor make any further answer to it except to say that you need to learn how the pioneers arrived at our "fundamental principles." Mrs. White tells you, if you will stop to listen to her. And most of them had come out of Trinitarian churches, but after they studied, fasted and prayed, and searched the scriptures late into the night to establish the Bible's teachings on every point, they gave up their former belief in the Trinity. In this, their example should be instructive to us.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: dedication] #193843
02/28/21 11:26 AM
02/28/21 11:26 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
n 1888 EGW told the pioneers they needed to give up PRECONCEIVED IDEAS

"An unwillingness to yield up preconceived opinions, and to accept this truth, lay at the foundation of a large share of the opposition manifested at Minneapolis against the Lord's message through Brethren [E.J. Waggoner and A.T. Jones] 1SM236

"
When Brother Waggoner brought out these ideas in Minneapolis, it was the first clear teaching on this subject from any human lips I had heard, excepting the conversations between myself and my husband. I have said to myself, It is because God has presented it to me in vision that I see it so clearly, and they cannot see it because they have never had it presented to them as I have. And when another presented it, every fiber of my heart said, Amen.--Ms 5, p. 10. (Sermon, Rome, New York, June 19, 1889.) {5MR 219.1}

It was those older pioneers whose resisted the light of truth.

Originally Posted by Ellen G White
RH.1890-05-27.006
The third angel's message will not be comprehended, the light which will lighten the earth with its glory will be called a false light, by those who refuse to walk in its advancing glory. The work that might have been done, will be left undone by the rejecters of truth, because of their unbelief. We entreat of you who oppose the light of truth, to stand out of the way of God's people. Let Heaven-sent light shine forth upon them in clear and steady rays. God holds you to whom this light has come, responsible for the use you make of it. Those who will not hear will be held responsible; for the truth has been brought within their reach, but they despised their opportunities and privileges. Messages bearing the divine credentials have been sent to God's people; the glory, the majesty, the righteousness of Christ, full of goodness and truth, have been presented; the fullness of the Godhead in Jesus Christ has been set forth among us with beauty and loveliness, to charm all whose hearts were not closed with prejudice. We know that God has wrought among us.

Dedication,

I used to respect the effort I saw you put into your posts here in terms of having diligently done your homework before posting. But on this subject, you disappoint me. As this is the second time you feel the need to refer to the giving up of "preconceived opinions" that Mrs. White spoke of, let us look at her statement in its original context. You have taken it from its "connection," as Mrs. White would say, and have misapplied it if you think it applies in any way to any of the pillars of our faith.

Especially the Moral Law

?The law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith? (Galatians 3:24). In this scripture, the Holy Spirit through the apostle is speaking especially of the moral law. The law reveals sin to us, and causes us to feel our need of Christ and to flee unto Him for pardon and peace by exercising repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. {1SM 234.5}

An unwillingness to yield up preconceived opinions, and to accept this truth, lay at the foundation of a large share of the opposition manifested at Minneapolis against the Lord?s message through Brethren [E.J.] Waggoner and [A.T.] Jones. By exciting that opposition Satan succeeded in shutting away from our people, in a great measure, the special power of the Holy Spirit that God longed to impart to them. The enemy prevented them from obtaining that efficiency which might have been theirs in carrying the truth to the world, as the apostles proclaimed it after the day of Pentecost. The light that is to lighten the whole earth with its glory was resisted, and by the action of our own brethren has been in a great degree kept away from the world. {1SM 234.6}

The law of ten commandments is not to be looked upon as much from the prohibitory side, as from the mercy side. Its prohibitions are the sure guarantee of happiness in obedience. As received in Christ, it works in us the purity of character that will bring joy to us through eternal ages. To the obedient it is a wall of protection. We behold in it the goodness of God, who by revealing to men the immutable principles of righteousness, seeks to shield them from the evils that result from transgression. {1SM 235.1}

We are not to regard God as waiting to punish the sinner for his sin. The sinner brings the punishment upon himself. His own actions start a train of circumstances that bring the sure result. Every act of transgression reacts upon the sinner, works in him a change of character, and makes it more easy for him to transgress again. By choosing to sin, men separate themselves from God, cut themselves off from the channel of blessing, and the sure result is ruin and death. {1SM 235.2}

The law is an expression of God?s idea. When we receive it in Christ, it becomes our idea. It lifts us above the power of natural desires and tendencies, above temptations that lead to sin. ?Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them? (Psalm 119:165)?cause them to stumble. {1SM 235.3}

There is no peace in unrighteousness; the wicked are at war with God. But he who receives the righteousness of the law in Christ is in harmony with heaven. ?Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other? (Psalm 85:10).?Letter 96, 1896. {1SM 235.4}

That statement provides the context all the way from the foregoing subheading to the end of the chapter. As any future reader here can clearly see, this statement was not made within the context of any of our fundamental principles or pillar doctrines. It had to do with something very important theologically, however, relative to the moral law spoken of in Galatians. Upon this point there had been considerable disagreement among many Adventists--quite unlike the fundamental principles upon which there was virtually complete unanimity.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: Green Cochoa] #193846
02/28/21 03:36 PM
02/28/21 03:36 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted by Green Cochoa

Think about this. When Dr. Kellogg advanced his pantheistic views, Mrs. White had VERY MUCH to say against them. She further informed us that Dr. Kellogg was on a wrong track theologically (he progressed to Trinitarianism afterward). She never once commended his acceptance of the Trinity dogma, and made it abundantly clear to all that his views were no longer to be trusted.

I agree with this. Neither the pioneers, nor Ellen White, nor I have ever believed God was "just a powerful essence floating round." Please do not again repeat this error. Remember, that every time error is repeated, it grows stronger. I may not address your errors in detail going forward for this very reason--for Mrs. White tells us we should not repeat errors like this.

What I wrote is NOT error --
Kellogg's Pantheistic views taught God was this intelligent, powerful essence floating all around the universe. An unfathomably huge being. In the wind, in the flower, in the tree. He is everywhere but nowhere specific.
A God without form and as big as the universe, a hand big enough to hold all the water in the oceans -- etc etc.
Of course the leadership and EGW opposed him and had a lot to say against those views.
It was not even close to the present day Adventist understanding of the "Three Living Persons of the Heavenly Trio".

Sure Kellogg then claimed it was not God the Father, but the Holy Spirit, who supposedly was a "person" like his depiction of the Father, who was in everything, but that didn't change the concepts at all.
He simply changed the title and changed it to the personage to the Holy Spirit -- so now it's the Holy Spirit Who supposedly is the tree maker in the tree and the powerful intellectual essence all around.
The personality is still destroyed.

No of course, EGW could not accept that:
["It will be said that 'Living Temple' has been revised. But the Lord has shown me that Dr.
Kellogg has not changed, and that there can be no unity between him and the
ministers of the gospel while he continues to cherish his present sentiments. I am bidden
to lift my voice in warning to our people saying, 'Be not deceived; 'God is not mocked!'

The pantheistic ideas were NOT changed. Just different titles given.

Even NON-Adventists recognized this so called "revised" edition was full of pagan mystical content, and called the author a " Theosophists" (a real counterfeit of the true)

Originally Posted by Green

When the pioneers taught and published their non-trinitarian views, she remained silent.

Not really. You see, much of what the pioneers were against in the Catholic trinity, we are still against. It wasn't till their incomplete understanding of God was going too far (as in Kelloggs pantheistic plunge, and the pioneers rejection of 1888) did God reveal to her it was time to get things on the right track.
Earlier it was not the time to strike out openly against the majority of a group already dealing and studying out new truths (the Sabbath, the Sanctuary), Ellen White was a human being, relaying messages given to her -- God has His own timing to move people into more truth.
--- but she was not really silent.

It is true that in 1846 James White declared that Christ was not the eternal God, but the Son of the eternal God, He had a beginning.
While EGW agrees with her husband that Christ is not the SAME PERSON or being as God the Father, she does NOT teach that Christ had a beginning but upholds that He is ETERNAL AND SELF-EXISTENT.

4T.368
?Christ must be made your strength. In His name you will be more than conqueror. No enchantment against Jacob, nor divination against Israel, will prevail. If your soul is riveted to the eternal Rock, you are safe.?

4T 553
He has riveted his soul to the eternal Rock. Health improves in the very sense of his security in Christ.

LHU 266
Hear these words of our Saviour: "Whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock... It is the privilege of every one of us to build upon the Eternal Rock; then we shall not dishonor God, nor by our words and actions scatter away from Christ. .

LHU 367
Every man must rivet his character-building to the eternal Rock, Christ Jesus; then it will stand amid storm and tempest. {LHU 366.4}

NOT ONCE DID EGW DENOUNCE THE TRINITY! NOT ONCE DID SHE SAY IT WAS A DOCTRINE FROM BABYLON! On the other hand we do see that she did speak of the ?three powers? and ?heavenly trio? ?the Holy Spirit being the third person in the Godhead? that Christ was "co-equal" with the Father with "life unborrowed, underived," that He was the "Self existent ONE"
All concepts which the pioneers did not teach.

When the pioneers taught and published their non-trinitarian views, she remained silent. She never once raised her voice against this. The non-trinitarian "fundamental principles" were published in 1872 and in 1889... No one would argue we still believe the same doctrines today.
What was once held to be truth is now accounted error--just as Mrs. White said would happen.
This is the omega apostasy

The fundamentals are written in language that isn't openly anti-trinitarian. It's only after being told it's it's not trinitarian that one can pick that out.

We all agree there is ONE GOD.
We agree God is a personal God.
We agree the Holy Spirit is God's Representative.
Most know the word "Lord" is used interchangeably with the word "God".
Of course we believe there are "Three Living Persons of the heavenly trio"
All REAL LIVING persons are Beings.

People rejecting the Sabbath, the Sanctuary, State of the Dead, the Bible -- that would be apostacy.

Growing in one's understanding of Who Christ is -- is NOT error.

And no -- her saying the "personality of God" is a pillar does NOT qualify to prove anti-trinitarianism is pillar .

Why? Because this was an important pillar made for a different reason than that to which you pin it. She was speaking of concepts that led to the "Holy Flesh" movement-- which was the for-runner of Kellogg's ideas, that God (or the Holy Spirit) is in everything thus supposedly everything becomes "holy" (All of it links right up to the spiritualistic New Age concepts -- that says look inside, god is there, you are god, idea)
That's why we NEED to have the right understanding that God is a personal God, God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, are not some essence that is in everything making the created things "gods". God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are THREE LIVING PERSONS of the heavenly trio. PERSONAL BEINGS

All those anti-trinitarian websites that you are taking materials from are missing the REAL CRISES that is eroding truth -- it's the new age "god in everything" "holy Flesh" "pantheistic theories, spiritual formation --
Instead of realizing this -- they are attacking the full Divinity and eternal reality that Christ is God in the highest sense.
And depersonalizing the Holy Spirit, Who is the One we need to help us understand spiritual things, and grow Christian characters.

Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: Green Cochoa] #193848
02/28/21 06:26 PM
02/28/21 06:26 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
No, " the giving up of "preconceived opinions" that Mrs. White spoke of was not out of context.
In other places EGW says the debate over the Galatian law wasn't the important thing,

Yes, the Law of Galatians was very much part of the debate, but it still stems back to their incomplete concept of the Godhead.

Maybe if you had linked it with the other quote I shared in the same post you would have seen the connection. A shortened version:
RH.1890-05-27.006
The third angel's message will not be comprehended, the light which will lighten the earth with its glory will be called a false light, by those who refuse to walk in its advancing glory. The work that might have been done, will be left undone by the rejecters of truth, because of their unbelief....... Messages bearing the divine credentials have been sent to God's people; the glory, the majesty, the righteousness of Christ, full of goodness and truth, have been presented; the fullness of the Godhead in Jesus Christ has been set forth among us with beauty and loveliness, to charm all whose hearts were not closed with prejudice. We know that God has wrought among us.

You will meet with those who will say, "You are too much excited over this matter. You are too much in earnest. You should not be reaching for the righteousness of Christ, and making so much of that. You should preach the law." As a people, we have preached the law until we are as dry as the hills of Gilboa that had neither dew nor rain. We must preach Christ in the law, and there will be sap and nourishment in the preaching that will be as food to the famishing flock of God.

A key verse the pioneers often quoted in Revelation 14:12
"Here is the patience (endurance) of the saints, here are they the keep the commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus.
Soon after the Minneapolis meetings, EGW wrote this powerful statement about that very verse:
12MR193
The third angel's message is the proclamation of the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus Christ. The commandments of God have been proclaimed, but the faith of Jesus Christ has not been proclaimed by Seventh-day Adventists as of equal importance, the law and the gospel going hand in hand. I cannot find language to express this subject in its fullness.
"The faith of Jesus." It is talked of, but not understood. What constitutes the faith of Jesus, that belongs to the third angel's message? Jesus becoming our sin-bearer that He might become our sin-pardoning Saviour. He was treated as we deserve to be treated. He came to our world and took our sins that we might take His righteousness. Faith in the ability of Christ to save us amply and fully and entirely is the faith of Jesus.

So why the big uproar of the "law in Galatians?" During a conference stressing Christ and His Righteousness?

Because Waggoner was saying the law in Galatians included the moral law.
The pioneers had always said it referred to the ceremonial law, not the moral law, They were horrified saying Waggoner was pulling down the pillars of Adventism and opening the door to "cheap grace" and destroying the binding nature of the law.

There is a natural reaction that occurs when one lowers the Deity of Christ. As we can see by the quotes, EGW says the preachers and leaders in Adventism had been preaching the law till it was dry as the hills of Gilboa, but have failed in preaching Christ as an important part of their message. Not important? Why?
When our concept of Who Christ is, is lowered we no longer see Him as our Savior in the same sense. For them the last message was all about the Sabbath law and avoiding the mark of the beast etc.
But what is Sabbath keeping without Christ in the center of the Sabbath? It becomes a dead work.

Nearly all Adventists understood "the faith of Jesus" as being a body of truth that needs to be believed and kept. Is "the faith of Jesus a body of truth, or is it putting ones faith in a Living Most Holy Being Jesus Christ? What they needed was a greater picture of Christ.

Such an unbalance understanding often leads into legalism, Take away the fully Divine Christ, Who Alone can save us, and all we have left is a hopeless effort to save ourselves.

3:20-24{3SM 176.2}
?Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Even the righteousness of God which is through faith in Jesus Christ to all and on all who all them that believe: For there is no difference for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.?

Holding up Christ as our only source of strength, presenting His matchless love in having the guilt of the sins of men charged to His account and His own righteousness imputed to man, in no case does away with the law or detracts from its dignity. Rather, it places it where the correct light shines upon and glorifies it. This is done only through the light reflected from the cross of Calvary. The law is complete and full in the great plan of salvation, only as it is presented in the light shining from the crucified and risen Saviour. This can be only spiritually discerned. It kindles in the heart of the beholder ardent faith, hope, and joy that Christ is his righteousness. This joy is only for those who love and keep the words of Jesus, which are the words of God. {3SM 176.2}

FLB 47
In Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived. "He that hath the Son hath life." 1 John 5:12. The divinity of Christ is the believer's assurance of eternal life.
All the communion between heaven and the fallen race has been through Christ. It was the Son of God that gave to our first parents the promise of redemption. It was He who revealed Himself to the patriarchs. Adam . . . understood the gospel. . . .
Jesus was the light of His people--the light of the world--before He came to earth in the form of humanity. The first gleam of light that pierced the gloom in which sin had wrapped the world, came from Christ. And from Him has come every ray of heaven's brightness that has fallen upon the inhabitants of the earth. In the plan of redemption, Christ is the Alpha and the Omega--the First and the Last.
It was Christ who from the bush on Mount Horeb spoke to Moses saying, "I AM THAT I AM: ... Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." This was the pledge of Israel's deliverance. So when He came "in the likeness of men," He declared Himself the I AM. The Child of Bethlehem, the meek and lowly Saviour, is God "manifest in the flesh." 1 Timothy 3:16. {FLB 47.5}

Here is the patience of the saints, here are they that keep the commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus. Like two oars in a boat, if a person rows on only one side they just go in circles and get no where.

Last edited by dedication; 02/28/21 06:39 PM.
Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: Green Cochoa] #193850
02/28/21 11:03 PM
02/28/21 11:03 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Yes, the Three Angels' Messages are very much affected by one's view of God.

"Fear God and give glory to HIM..."

Let's stop right there. You don't believe that is correct. In your belief, the pronoun should be "them." This is because in your Trinitarian view, God is a plurality of beings. In actual fact, though you might deny this vigorously, you are a tritheist, just as one Adventist pastor with whom I discussed these things openly admitted to me that he was. Your beliefs fit the dictionary definition of tritheist, but I am certain that you will have some semantics to weasel yourself out of it--some unconventional (impossible) math, no doubt.

Originally Posted by Dictionary
tritheism |trīˈTHēˌizəm|
noun
(in Christian theology) the doctrine of or belief in the three persons of the Trinity as three distinct gods.

DERIVATIVES
tritheist noun

You say, for example, that God died. That was one of your gods: one of the three. But nowhere in inspiration do we have support for your beliefs on this matter. Ellen White says the opposite. She says it would have been impossible for deity/divinity to die.

Originally Posted by Ellen White
Was the human nature of the Son of Mary changed into the divine nature of the Son of God??No; the two natures were mysteriously blended in one person?the Man Christ Jesus. In Him dwelt all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. When Christ was crucified, it was His human nature that died. Deity did not sink and die; that would have been impossible. Christ, the sinless One, will save every son and daughter of Adam who accepts the salvation proffered them, consenting to become the children of God. The Saviour has purchased the fallen race with His own blood. {Lt280-1904.9}

So--if you believe God died, you are believing in an impossibility. It's that simple. Or, perhaps, you do not believe Ellen White.

If there is a being that died, it was not God who died--that would have been impossible. It was not God who died; it was the Son of God: "It was His human nature that died" -- Ellen White. A human being, one that had been possessed by Divinity, died. The Divinity within could not possibly have died. This event makes clear that, yes, there are two beings involved in Christ--a human-being, and a God-being. One being of these two was God, just as the Bible and Ellen White teach, that "God is a Being" (EGW), and the Father is the only true God (John 17:3, 1 Cor. 8:6, 1 Tim. 2:5).

Here is the patience of the saints, here are they that keep the commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus. Like two oars in a boat, if a person rows on only one side they just go in circles and get no where.

And what is the first commandment of the Decalogue? To Whom did Jesus pray and upon Whom did His faith rest? Can God have faith, understanding that "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Heb. 11:1)?

Trinitarians today seem just as confused as was Kellogg. Kellogg thought he understood things well, and claimed that Mrs. White's writings upheld his views. She told us plainly that her writings did NOT support his views, despite his thinking so.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: Green Cochoa] #193851
02/28/21 11:32 PM
02/28/21 11:32 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
When we look at the differences between the 28 Fundamental Principles (1889)--the pillars of our faith as of Mrs. White's time, and the 27 "Fundamental Beliefs" (1981) adopted by the church, it is very difficult to see where they are the same. It's almost entirely different. Many doctrines have disappeared. New ones have been added. Even knowing before I began to look at them that they differed widely, I was shocked at HOW MUCH they actually differ.

I ran them both through a computer program to highlight the changes. Almost everything was highlighted--well above 95% was marked as having changed. I took a different approach, realizing that the order of doctrines in the list had also changed, so I attempted to align them (as can be seen in the table below). But, while the computer found slightly more that was the same, it was only slightly. Still more than 90% is different--completely changed.

See for yourself. (Note that while I have reordered the 1981 doctrinal list to attempt to align better with the 1889 list, I have not changed their numbers which are still present before each one. I've highlighted them for clarity.)

28 Fundamental Principles (1889)27 Fundamental Beliefs [Rearranged] (1981)

I. That there is one God, a personal, spiritual being, the creator of all things, omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal; infinite in wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness, truth, and mercy; unchangeable, and everywhere present by his representative, the Holy Spirit. Ps. 139:7. {1889, FP1889 147.2}
II. That there is one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Eternal Father, the one by whom he created all things, and by whom they do consist; that he took on him the nature of the seed of Abraham for the redemption of our fallen race; that he dwelt among men, full of grace and truth, lived our example, died our sacrifice, was raised for our justification, ascended on high to be our only mediator in the sanctuary in heaven, where, through the merits of his shed blood, he secures the pardon and forgiveness of the sins of all those who penitently come to him; and as the closing portion of his work as priest, before he takes his throne as king, he will make the great atonement for the sins of all such, and their sins will then be blotted out (Acts 3:19) and borne away from the sanctuary, as shown in the service of the Levitical priesthood, which foreshadowed and prefigured the ministry of our Lord in heaven. See Lev. 16; Heb. 8:4, 5; 9:6, 7; etc. 1 {1889, FP1889 147.3}
III. That the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments were given by inspiration of God, contain a full revelation of his will to man, and are the only infallible rule of faith and practice. {1889, FP1889 148.1}
IV. That baptism is an ordinance of the Christian church, to follow faith and repentance,--an ordinance by which we commemorate the resurrection of Christ, as by this act we show our faith in his burial and resurrection, and through that, in the resurrection of all the saints at the last day; and that no other mode more fitly represents these facts than that which the Scriptures prescribe, namely, immersion. Rom. 6: 3-5; Col. 2: 12. {1889, FP1889 148.2}
V. That the new birth comprises the entire change necessary to fit us for the kingdom of God, and consists of two parts; First, a moral change wrought by conversion and a Christian life (John 3: 3, 5); second, a physical change at the second coming of Christ, whereby, if dead, we are raised incorruptible, and if living, are changed to immortality in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye. Luke 20: 36; 1 Cor. 15: 51, 52. {1889, FP1889 148.3}
VI. That prophecy is a part of God's revelation to man; that it is included in that Scripture which is profitable for instruction (2 Tim. 3: 16); that it is designed for us and our children (Deut. 29: 29); that so far from being enshrouded in impenetrable mystery, it is that which especially constitutes the word of God a lamp to our feet and a light to our path (Ps. 119: 105; 2 Peter 1: 19); that a blessing is pronounced upon those who study it (Rev. 1:1-3); and that, consequently, it is to be understood by the people of God sufficiently to show them their position in the world's history and the special duties required at their hands. {1889, FP1889 148.4}
VII. That the world's history from specified dates in the past, the rise and fall of empires, and the chronological succession of events down to the setting up of God's everlasting kingdom, are outlined in numerous great chains of prophecy; and that these prophecies are now all fulfilled except the closing scenes. {1889, FP1889 148.5}
VIII. That the doctrine of the world's conversion and a temporal millennium is a fable of these last days, calculated to lull men into a state of carnal security, and cause them to be overtaken by the great day of the Lord as by a thief in the night (1 Thess. 5: 3); that the second coming of Christ is to precede, not follow, the millennium; for until the Lord appears, the papal power, with all its abominations, is to continue (2 Thess. 2: 8), the wheat and tares grow together (Matt. 13: 29, 30, 39), and evil men and seducers wax worse and worse, as the word of God declares. 2 Tim. 3: 1, 13. {1889, FP1889 148.6}
IX. That the mistake of Adventists in 1844 pertained to the nature of the event then to transpire, not to the time; that no prophetic period is given to reach to the second advent, but that the longest one, the two thousand and three hundred days of Dan. 8:14, terminated in 1844, and brought us to an event called the cleansing of the sanctuary. 1 {1889, FP1889 148.7}
X. That the sanctuary of the new covenant is the tabernacle of God in heaven, of which Paul speaks in Hebrews 8 and onward, and of which our Lord, as great high priest, is minister; that this sanctuary is the antitype of the Mosaic tabernacle, and that the priestly work of our Lord, connected therewith, is the antitype of the work of the Jewish priests of the former dispensation (Heb. 8:1-5, etc.); that this, and not the earth, is the sanctuary to be cleansed at the end of the two thousand and three hundred days, what is termed its cleansing being in this case, as in the type, simply the entrance of the high priest into the most holy place, to finish the round of service connected therewith, by making the atonement and removing from the sanctuary the sins which had been transferred to it by means of the ministration in the first apartment (Lev. 16; Heb. 9:22, 23); and that this work in the antitype, beginning in 1844, consists in actually blotting out the sins of believers (Acts 3:19), and occupies a brief but indefinite space of time, at the conclusion of which the work of mercy for the world will be finished, and the second advent of Christ will take place. {1889, FP1889 149.1}
XI. That God's moral requirements are the same upon all men in all dispensations; that these are summarily contained in the commandments spoken by Jehovah from Sinai, engraven on the tables of stone, and deposited in the ark, which was in consequence called the "ark of the covenant," or testament (Num. 10:33; Heb. 9:4, etc.); that this law is immutable and perpetual, being a transcript of the tables deposited in the ark in the true sanctuary on high, which is also, for the same reason, called the ark of God's testament; for under the sounding of the seventh trumpet we are told that "the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament." Rev. 11:19. {1889, FP1889 149.2}
XII. That the fourth commandment of this law requires that we devote the seventh day of each week, commonly called Saturday, to abstinence from our own labor, and to the performance of sacred and religious duties; that this is the only weekly Sabbath known to the Bible, being the day that was set apart before Paradise was lost (Gen. 2:2, 3), and which will be observed in Paradise restored (Isa. 66:22, 23); that the facts upon which the Sabbath institution is based confine it to the seventh day, as they are not true of any other day; and that the terms Jewish Sabbath, as applied to the seventh day, and Christian Sabbath, as applied to the first day of the week, are names of human invention, unscriptural in fact, and false in meaning. {1889, FP1889 149.3}
XIII. That as the man of sin, the papacy, has thought to change times and laws (the law of God, Dan. 7:25), and has misled almost all Christendom in regard to the fourth commandment, we find a prophecy of a reform in this respect to be wrought among believers just before the coming of Christ. Isa. 56:1, 2; 1 Peter 1:5; Rev. 14:12, etc. {1889, FP1889 150.1}
XIV. That the followers of Christ should be a peculiar people, not following the maxims, nor conforming to the ways, of the world; not loving its pleasures nor countenancing its follies; inasmuch as the apostle says that "whosoever therefore will be" in this sense, "a friend of the world, is the enemy of God" (James 4:4); and Christ says that we cannot have two masters, or, at the same time, serve God and mammon. Matt. 6:24. {1889, FP1889 150.2}
XV. That the Scriptures insist upon plainness and modesty of attire as a prominent mark of discipleship in those who profess to be the followers of Him who was, "meek and lowly in heart," that the wearing of gold, pearls, and costly array, or anything designed merely to adorn the person and foster the pride of the natural heart, is to be discarded, according to such scriptures as 1 Tim. 2:9, 10; 1 Peter 3:3, 4. {1889, FP1889 150.3}
XVI. That means for the support of evangelical work among men should be contributed from love to God and love of souls, not raised by church lotteries, or occasions designed to contribute to the fun-loving, appetite-indulging propensities of the sinner, such as fairs, festivals, oyster suppers, tea, broom, donkey, and crazy socials, etc., which are a disgrace to the professed church of Christ; that the proportion of one's income required in former dispensation can be no less under the gospel; that it is the same as Abraham (whose children we are, if we are Christ's, Gal. 3:29) paid to Melchisedec (type of Christ) when he gave him a tenth of all (Heb. 7:1-4); the title is the Lord's (Lev. 27:30); and this tenth of one's income is also to be supplemented by offerings from those who are able, for the support of the gospel. 2 Cor. 9:6; Mal. 3:8, 10. {1889, FP1889 150.4}
XVII. That as the natural or carnal heart is at enmity with God and his law, this enmity can be subdued only by a radical transformation of the affections, the exchange of unholy for holy principles; that this transformation follows repentance and faith, is the special work of the Holy Spirit, and constitutes regeneration, or conversion. {1889, FP1889 150.5}
XVIII. That as all have violated the law of God, and cannot of themselves render obedience to his just requirements, we are dependent on Christ, first, for justification from our past offenses, and, secondly, for grace whereby to render acceptable obedience to his holy law in time to come. {1889, FP1889 150.6}
XIX. That the Spirit of God was promised to manifest itself in the church through certain gifts, enumerated especially in 1 Cor. 12 and Eph. 4; that these gifts are not designed to supersede, or take the place of, the Bible, which is sufficient to make us wise unto salvation, any more than the Bible can take the place of the Holy Spirit; that, in specifying the various channels of its operation, that Spirit has simply made provision for its own existence and presence with the people of God to the end of time, to lead to an understanding of that word which it had inspired, to convince of sin, and to work a transformation in the heart and life; and that those who deny to the Spirit its place and operation, do plainly deny that part of the Bible which assigns to it this work and position. {1889, FP1889 150.7}
XX. That God, in accordance with his uniform dealings with the race, sends forth a proclamation of the approach of the second advent of Christ; and that this work is symbolized by the three messages of Revelation 14, the last one bringing to view the work of reform on the law of God, that his people may acquire a complete readiness for that event. {1889, FP1889 150.8}
XXI. That the time of the cleansing of the sanctuary (See proposition X.), synchronizing with the time of the proclamation of the third message (Rev. 14:9, 10), is a time of investigative judgment, first, with reference to the dead, and secondly, at the close of probation, with reference to the living, to determine who of the myriads now sleeping in the dust of the earth are worthy of a part in the first resurrection, and who of its living multitudes are worthy of translation, -- points which must be determined before the Lord appears. {1889, FP1889 151.1}
XXII. That the grave, whither we all tend, expressed by the Hebrew word sheol and the Greek word hades, is a place, or condition, in which there is no work, device, wisdom, nor knowledge. Eccl. 9:10. {1889, FP1889 151.2}
XXIII. That the state to which we are reduced by death is one of silence, inactivity, and entire unconsciousness. Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 9:5, 6; Dan. 12:2. {1889, FP1889 151.3}
XXIV. That out of this prison-house of the grave, mankind are to be brought by a bodily resurrection; the righteous having part in the first resurrection, which takes place at the second coming of Christ; the wicked, in the second resurrection, which takes place in a thousand years thereafter. Rev. 20:4-6. {1889, FP1889 151.4}
XXV. That at the last trump, the living righteous are to be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, and with the risen righteous are to be caught up to meet the Lord in the air, so forever to be with the Lord. 1 Thess. 4:16, 17; 1 Cor. 15:51, 52. {1889, FP1889 151.5}
XXVI. That these immortalized ones are then taken to heaven, to the New Jerusalem, the Father's house, in which there are many mansions (John 14:1-3), where they reign with Christ a thousand years, judging the world and fallen angels, that is, apportioning the punishment to be executed upon them at the close of the one thousand years (Rev. 20:4; 1 Cor. 6:2, 3); that during this time the earth lies in a desolate and chaotic condition (Jer. 4:23-27), described, as in the beginning, by the Greek term abussos ?? "bottomless pit" (Septuagint of Gen. 1:2); and that here Satan is confined during the thousand years (Rev. 20:1, 2), and here finally destroyed (Rev. 20:10; Mal. 4:1); the theater of the ruin he has wrought in the universe being appropriately made, for a time, his gloomy prison-house, and then the place of his final execution. {1889, FP1889 151.6}
XXVII. That at the end of the thousand years the Lord descends with his people and the New Jerusalem (Rev. 21:2), the wicked dead are raised, and come up on the surface of the yet unrenewed earth, and gather about the city, the camp of the saints (Rev. 20:9), and fire comes down from God out of heaven and devours them. They are then consumed, root and branch (Mal. 4:1), becoming as though they had not been. Obad. 15, 16. In this everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord (2 Thess. 1:9), the wicked meet the "everlasting punishment" threatened against them (Matt. 25:46), which is everlasting death. Rom. 6:23; Rev. 20:14, 15. This is the perdition of ungodly men, the fire which consumes them being the fire for which "the heavens and the earth, which are now,. . . are kept in store." which shall melt even the elements with its intensity, and purge the earth from the deepest stains of the curse of sin. 2 Peter 3:7-12. {1889, FP1889 151.7}
XXVIII. That new heavens and a new earth shall spring by the power of God from the ashes of the old, and this renewed earth, with the New Jerusalem for its metropolis and capital, shall be the eternal inheritance of the saints, the place where the righteous shall evermore dwell. 2 Peter 3:13; Ps. 37:11, 29; Matt. 5:5. 1 {1889, FP1889 151.8}

2. The Trinity {1981, FB1981 5.4}
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 4:46; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 17; Rev. 14:7.) {1981, FB1981 5.5}
3. The Father {1981, FB1981 5.6}
God the Eternal Father is the Creator, Source, Sustainer, and Sovereign of all creation. He is just and holy, merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. The qualities and powers exhibited in the Son and the Holy Spirit are also revelations of the Father. (Gen. 1:1; Rev. 4:11; 1 Cor. 15:28; John 3:16; 1 John 4:8; 1 Tim. 1:17; Ex. 34:6, 7; John 14:9.) {1981, FB1981 5.7}
4. The Son {1981, FB1981 5.8}
God the eternal Son became incarnate in Jesus Christ. Through Him all things were created, the character of God is revealed, the salvation of humanity is accomplished, and the world is judged. Forever truly God, He became also truly man, Jesus the Christ. He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived and experienced temptation as a human being, but perfectly exemplified the righteousness and love of God. By His miracles He manifested God's power and was attested as God's promised Messiah. He suffered and died voluntarily on the cross for our sins and in our place, was raised from the dead, and ascended to minister in the heavenly sanctuary in our behalf. He will come again in glory for the final deliverance of His people and the restoration of all things. (JOhn 1:1-3, 14; COl. 1:15-19; John 10:30; 14:9; Rom. 6:23; 2 Cor. 5:17-19; John 5:22; Luke 1:35; Phil. 2:5-11; Heb. 2:9-18; 1 Cor. 15:3, 4; Heb. 8:1, 2; John 14:1-3.) {1981, FB1981 5.9}
5. The Holy Spirit {1981, FB1981 5.10}
God the eternal Spirit was active with the Father and the Son in Creation, incarnation, and redemption. He inspired the writers of Scripture. He filled Christ's life with power. He draws and convicts human beings; and those who respond He renews and transforms into the image of God. Sent by the Father and the Son to be always with His children, He extends spiritual gifts to the church, empowers it to bear witness to Christ, and in harmony with the Scriptures leads it into all truth. (Gen. 1:1, 2; Luke 1:35; 4:18; Acts 10:38;2 Peter 1:21; 2 Cor. 3:18; Eph. 4:11, 12; Acts 1:8; John 14:16-18, 26, 27; 16:17-13.) {1981, FB1981 5.11}
1. The Holy Scriptures {1981, FB1981 5.2}
The Holy Scriptures, Old and New Testaments, are the written Word of God, given by divine inspiration through holy men of God who spoke and wrote as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. In this Word, God has committed to man the knowledge necessary for salvation. The Holy Scriptures are the infallible revelation of His will. They are the standard of character, the test of experience, the authoritative revealer of doctrines, and the trustworthy record of God's acts in history. (2 Peter 1:20, 21; 2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Ps. 119:105; Prov. 30:5, 6; Isa. 8:20; John 17:17; 1 Thess. 2:13; Heb. 4:12.) {1981, FB1981 5.3}
14. Baptism {1981, FB1981 6.12}
By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church. Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings. (Rom. 6:1-6; Col. 2:12, 13; Acts 16:30-33; 22:16; 2:38; Matt. 28:19, 20.) {1981, FB1981 6.13}
17. The Gift of Prophecy {1981, FB1981 7.3}
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.) {1981, FB1981 7.4}
23. Christ's Ministry in the Heavenly Sanctuary {1981, FB1981 8.1}
There is a sanctuary in heaven, the true tabernacle which the Lord set up and not man. In it Christ ministers on our behalf, making available to believers the benefits of His atoning sacrifice offered once for all on the cross. He was inaugurated as our great High Priest and began His intercessory ministry at the time of His ascension. In 1844, at the end of the prophetic period of 2300 days, He entered the second and last phase of His atoning ministry. It is a work of investigative judgment which is part of the ultimate disposition of all sin, typified by the cleansing of the ancient Hebrew sanctuary on the Day of Atonement. In that typical service the sanctuary was cleansed with the blood of animal sacrifices, but the heavenly things are purified with the perfect sacrifice of the blood of Jesus. The investigative judgment reveals to heavenly intelligences who among the dead are asleep in Christ and therefore, in Him, are deemed worthy to have part in the first resurrection. It also makes manifest who, among the living are abiding in Christ, keeping the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, and in Him, therefore, are ready for translation into His everlasting kingdom. This judgment vindicates the justice of God in saving those who believe in Jesus. It declares that those who have remained loyal to God shall receive the kingdom. The completion of this ministry of Christ will mark the close of human probation before the Second Advent. (Heb. 8:1-5; 4:14-16; 9:11-28; 10:19-22; 1:3; 2:16, 17; Dan. 7:9-27; 27; 8:13, 14; 9:24-27; Num. 14:34; Eze. 4:6; Lev. 16; Rev. 14:6, 7; 20:12; 14:12; 22:12.) {1981, FB1981 8.2}
18. The Law of God {1981, FB1981 7.5}
The great principles of God's law are embodied in the Ten Commandments and exemplified in the life of Christ. They express God's love, will, and purposes concerning human conduct and relationships and are binding upon all people in every age. These precepts are the basis of God's covenant with His people and the standard in God's judgment. Through the agency of the Holy Spirit they point out sin and awaken a sense of need for a Saviour. Salvation is all of grace and not of works, but its fruitage is obedience to the Commandments. This obedience develops Christian character and results in a sense of well-being. It is an evidence of our love for the Lord and our concern for our fellow men. The obedience of faith demonstrates the power of Christ to transform lives, and therefore strengthens Christian witness. (Ex. 20:1-17; Ps. 40:7, 8; Matt. 22:36-40; Deut. 28:1-14; Matt. 5:17-20; Heb. 8:8-10; John 16:7-10; Eph. 2:8-10; 1 John 5:3; Rom. 8:3, 4; Ps. 19:7-14.) {1981, FB1981 7.6}
19. The Sabbath {1981, FB1981 7.7}
The beneficent Creator, after the six days of Creation, rested on the seventh day and instituted the Sabbath for all people as a memorial of Creation. The fourth commandment of God's unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is a day of delightful communion with God and one another. It is a symbol of our redemption in Christ, a sign of our sanctification, a token of our allegiance, and a foretaste of our eternal future in God's kingdom. The Sabbath is God's perpetual sign of His eternal covenant between Him and His people. Joyful observance of this holy time from evening to evening, sunset to sunset, is a celebration of God's creative and redemptive acts. (Gen. 2:1-3; Ex. 20:8-11; Luke 4:16; Isa. 56:5, 6; 58:13, 14; Matt. 12:1-12; Ex. 31:13-17; Eze. 20:12, 20; Deut. Deut. 5:12-15; Heb. 4:1-11; Lev. 23:32; Mark 1:32.) {1981, FB1981 7.8}
11. The Church {1981, FB1981 6.6}
The church is the community of believers who confess Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. In continuity with the people of God in Old Testament times, we are called out from the world; and we join together for worship, for fellowship, for instruction in the Word, for the celebration of the Lord's Supper, for service to all mankind, and for the world-wide proclamation of the gospel. The church derives its authority from Christ, who is the incarnate Word, and from the Scriptures, which are the written Word. The church is God's family; adopted by Him as children, its members live on the basis of the new covenant. The church is the body of Christ, a community of faith of which Christ Himself is the Head. The church is the bride for whom Christ died that He might sanctify and cleanse her. At His return in triumph, He will present her to Himself a glorious church, the faithful of all the ages, the purchase of His blood, not having spot or wrinkle, but holy and without blemish. (Gen. 12:3; Acts 7:38; Eph. 4:11-15; 3:8-11; Matt. 28:19, 20; 16:13-20; 18:18; Eph. 2:19-22; 1:22, 23; 5:23-27; Col. 1:17, 18.) {1981, FB1981 6.7}
12. The Remnant and Its Mission {1981, FB1981 6.8}
The universal church is composed of all who truly believe in Christ, but in the last days, a time of widespread apostasy, a remnant has been called out to keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. This remnant announces the arrival of the judgment hour, proclaims salvation through Christ, and heralds the approach of His second advent. This proclamation is symbolized by the three angels of Revelation 14; it coincides with the work of judgment in heaven and results in a work of repentance and reform form on earth. Every believer is called to have a personal part in this worldwide witness. (Rev. 12:17; 14:6-12; 18:1-4; 2 Cor. 5:10; Jude 3, 14; 1 Peter 1:16-19; 2 Peter 3:10-14; Rev. 21:1-14.) {1981, FB1981 6.9}
13. Unity in the Body of Christ {1981, FB1981 6.10}
The church is one body with many members, called from every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. In Christ we are a new creation; distinctions of race, culture, learning, and nationality, and differences between high and low, rich and poor, male and female, must not be divisive among us. We are all equal in Christ, who by one Spirit has bonded us into one fellowship with Him and with one another; we are to serve and be served without partiality or reservation. Through the revelation of Jesus Christ in the Scriptures we share the same faith and hope, and reach out in one witness to all. This unity has its source in the oneness of the triune God, who has adopted us as His children. (Rom. 12:4, 5; 1 Cor. 12:12-14; Matt. 28:19, 20; Ps. 133:1; 2 Cor. 5:16, 17; Acts 17:26, 27; Gal. 3:27, 29; Col. 3:10-15; Eph. 4:14-16; 4:1-6; John 17:20-23.) {1981, FB1981 6.11}
20. Stewardship {1981, FB1981 7.9}
We are God's stewards, entrusted by Him with time and opportunities, abilities and possessions, and the blessings of the earth and its resources. We are responsible to Him for their proper use. We acknowledge God's ownership by faithful service to Him and our fellow men, and by returning tithes and giving offerings for the proclamation of His gospel and the support and growth of His church. Stewardship is a privilege given to us by God for nurture in love and the victory over selfishness and covetousness. The steward rejoices in the blessings that come to others as a result of his faithfulness. (Gen. 1:26-28; 2:15; 1 Chron. 29:14; Hag. 1:3-11; Mal. 3:8-12; 1 Cor. 9:9-14; Matt. 23:23; 2 Cor. 8:1-15; Rom. 15:26,27.) {1981, FB1981 7.10}
7. The Nature of Man {1981, FB1981 5.14}
Man and woman were made in the image of God with individuality, the power and freedom to think and to do. Though created free beings, each is an indivisible unity of body, mind, and soul, dependent upon God for life and breath and all else. When our first parents disobeyed God, they denied their dependence upon Him and fell from their high position under God. The image of God in them was marred and they became subject to death. Their descendants share this fallen, nature and its consequences. They are born with weaknesses and tendencies to evil. But God in Christ reconciled the world to Himself and by His Spirit restores in penitent mortals the image of their Maker. Created for the glory of God, they are called to love Him and one another, and to care for their environment. (Gen. 1:26-28; 2:7 Ps. 8:4-8; Acts 17:24-28; Gen. 3; Ps. 51:5; Rom. 5:12-17; 2 Cor. 5:19, 20; Ps. 51:10;1 John 4:7, 8, 11, 20; Gen. 2:15.) {1981, FB1981 5.15}
9. The Life, Death, and Resurrection of Christ {1981, FB1981 6.2}
In Christ's life of perfect obedience to God's will, His suffering, death, and resurrection, God provided the only means of atonement for human sin, so that those who by faith accept this atonement may have eternal life, and the whole creation may better understand the infinite and holy love of the Creator. This perfect atonement vindicates the righteousness of God's law and the graciousness of His character; for it both condemns our sin and provides for our forgiveness. The death of Christ is substitutionary and expiatory, reconciling and transforming. The resurrection of Christ proclaims God's triumph over the forces of evil, and for those who accept the atonement assures their final victory over sin and death. It declares the Lordship of Jesus Christ, before whom every knee in heaven and on earth will bow. (John 3:16; Isa. 53; 1 Peter 2:21, 22; 1 Cor. 15:3, 4, 20-22; 2 Cor. 5:14, 15, 19-21; Rom. 1:4; 3:25; 4:25; 8:3, 4; 1 John 2:2; 4:10; Col. 2:15; Phil. 2:6-11.) {1981, FB1981 6.3}
10. The Experience of Salvation {1981, FB1981 6.4}
In infinite love and mercy God made Christ, who knew no sin, to be sin for us, so that in Him we might be made the righteousness of God. Led by the Holy Spirit we sense our need, acknowledge our sinfulness, repent of our transgressions, and exercise faith in Jesus as Lord and Christ, as Substitute and Example. This faith which receives salvation comes through the divine power of the World and is the gift of God's grace. Through Christ we are justified, adopted as God's sons and daughters, and delivered from the lordship of sin. Through the Spirit we are born again and sanctified; the Spirit renews our minds, writes God's law of love in our hearts, and we are given the power to live a holy life. Abiding in Him we become partakers of the divine nature and have the assurance of salvation now and in the judgment. (2 Cor. 5:17-21; John 3:16; Gal. 1:4; 4:4-7; Titus 3:3-7; John 16:8; Gal. 3:13, 14; 1 Peter 2:21, 22; Rom. 10:17; Luke 17:5; Mark 9:23, 24; Eph. 2:5-10; Rom. 3:21-26; Col. 1:13, 14; Rom. 8:14-17; Gal. 3:26; John 3:3-8; 1 Peter 1:23; Rom. 12:2; Heb. 8:7-12; Eze. 36:25-27; 2 Peter 1:3, 4; Rom. 8:1-4; 5:6-10.) {1981, FB1981 6.5}
25. Death and Resurrection {1981, FB1981 8.5}
The wages of sin is death. But God, who alone is immortal, will grant eternal life to His redeemed. Until that day death is an unconscious state for all people. When Christ, who is our life, appears, the resurrected righteous and the living righteous will be glorified and caught up to meet their Lord. The second resurrection, the resurrection of the unrighteous, will take place a thousand years later. (Rom. 6:23; 1 Tim. 6:15, 16; Eccl. 9:5, 6; Ps. 146:3, 4; John 11:11-14; Col. 3:4; 1 Cor. 15:51-54; 1 Thess. 4:13-17; John 5:28, 29; Rev. 20:1-10.) {1981, FB1981 8.6}
16. Spiritual Gifts and Ministries {1981, FB1981 7.1}
God bestows upon all members of His church in every age spiritual gifts which each member is to employ in loving ministry for the common good of the church and of humanity. Given by the agency of the Holy Spirit, who apportions to each member as He wills, the gifts provide all abilities and ministries needed by the church to fulfill its divinely ordained functions. According to the Scriptures, these gifts include such ministries as faith, healing, prophecy, proclamation, teaching, administration, reconciliation, compassion, and self-sacrificing service and charity for the help and encouragement of people. Some members are called of God and endowed by the Spirit for functions recognized by the church in pastoral, evangelistic, apostolic, and teaching ministries particularly needed to equip the members for service, to build up the church to spiritual maturity, and to foster unity of the faith and knowledge of God. When members employ these spiritual gifts as faithful stewards of God's varied grace, the church is protected from the destructive influence of false doctrine, grows with a growth that is from God, and is built up in faith and love. (Rom. 12:4-8; 1 Cor. 12:9-11, 27, 28; Eph. 4:8, 11-16; Acts 6:1-7; 1 Tim. 2:1-3; 1 Peter 4:10, 11.) {1981, FB1981 7.2}
24. The Second Coming of Christ {1981, FB1981 8.3}
The second coming of Christ is the blessed hope of the church, the grand climax of the gospel. The Saviour's coming will be literal, personal, visible and worldwide. When He returns, the righteous dead will be resurrected, and together with the righteous living will be glorified and taken to heaven, but the unrighteous will die. The almost complete fulfillment of most lines of prophecy, together with the present condition of the world, indicates that Christ's coming is imminent. The time of that event has not been revealed, and we are therefore exhorted to be ready at all times. (Titus 2:13; Heb. 9:28; John 14:1-3; Acts 1:9-11; Matt. 24:14; Rev. 1:7; Matt. 26:43, 44; 1 Thess. 4:13-18; 1 Cor. 15:51-54; 2 Thess. 1:7-10; 2:8; Rev. 14:14-20; 19:11-21; Matt. 24; Mark 13; Luke 21; 2 Tim. 3:1-5; 1 Thess. 5:1-6.) {1981, FB1981 8.4}
26. The Millennium and the End of Sin {1981, FB1981 8.7}
The millennium is the thousand-year reign of Christ with His saints in heaven between the first and second resurrections. During this time the wicked dead will be judged; the earth will be utterly desolate, without living human inhabitants, but occupied by Satan and his angels. At its close Christ with His saints and the Holy City will descend from heaven to earth. The unrighteous dead will then be resurrected, and with Satan and his angels will surround the city; but fire from God will consume them and cleanse the earth. The universe will thus be freed of sin and sinners forever. (Rev. 20; 1 Cor. 6:2, 3; Jer. 4:23-26; Rev. 21:1-5; Mal. 4:1; Eze. 28:18, 19.) {1981, FB1981 8.8}
27. The New Earth {1981, FB1981 8.9}
On the new earth, in which righteousness dwells, God will provide an internal home for the redeemed and a perfect environment for everlasting life, love, joy, and learning in His presence. For here God Himself will dwell with His people, and suffering and death will have passed away. The great controversy will be ended, and sin will be no more. All things, animate and inanimate, will declare that God is love; and He shall reign forever. Amen. (2 Peter 3:13; Isa. 35; 65:17-25; Matt. 5:5; Rev. 21:1-7; 22:1-5; 11:15.) {1981, FB1981 8.10}
6. Creation {1981, FB1981 5.12}
God is Creator of all things, and has revealed in Scripture the authentic account of His creative activity. In six days the Lord made "the heaven and the earth" and all living things upon the earth, and rested on the seventh day of that first week. Thus He established the Sabbath as a perpetual memorial of His completed creative work. The first man and woman were made in the image of God as the crowning work of Creation, given dominion over the world, and charged with responsibility to care for it. When the world was finished it was "very good," declaring the glory of God. (Gen. 1;2; Ex. 20:8-11; Ps. 17:1-6; 33:6, 9; 104; Heb. 11:3.) {1981, FB1981 5.13}
8. The Great Controversy {1981, FB1981 5.16}
All humanity is now involved in a great controversy between Christ and Satan regarding the character of God, His law, and His sovereignty over the universe. This conflict originated in heaven when a created being, endowed with freedom of Choice, in self-exaltation became Satan, God's adversary, and led into rebellion a portion of the angels. He introduced the spirit of rebellion into this world when he led {1981, FB1981 5.17}
Adam and Eve into sin. This human sin resulted in the distortion of the image of God in humanity, the disordering of the created world, and its eventual devastation at the time of the worldwide flood. Observed by the whole creation, this world became the arena of the universal conflict, out of which the God of love will ultimately be vindicated. To assist His people in this controversy, Christ sends the Holy Spirit and the loyal angels to guide, protect, and sustain them in the way of salvation. (Rev. 12:4-9; Isa. 14:12-14; Eze. 28:12-18; Gen. 3; Rom. 1:19-32; 5:12-21; 8:19-22; Gen. 6-8; 2 Peter 3:6; 1 Cor. 4:9; Heb. 1:14.) {1981, FB1981 6.1}
15. The Lord's Supper {1981, FB1981 6.14}
The Lord's Supper is a participation in the emblems of the body and blood of Jesus as an expression of faith in Him, our Lord and Saviour. In this experience of communion Christ is present to meet and strengthen His people. As we partake, we joyfully proclaim the Lord's death until He comes again. Preparation for the Supper includes self-examination, repentance, and confession. The Master ordained the service of foot washing to signify renewed cleansing, to express a willingness to serve one another in Christlike humility, and to unite our hearts in love. The communion service is open to all believing Christians. (1 Cor. 10:16, 17; 11:23-30; Matt. 26:17-30; Rev. 3:20; John 6:48-63; 13:1-17.) {1981, FB1981 6.15}
21. Christian Behaviour {1981, FB1981 7.11}
We are called to be a godly people who think, feel, and act in harmony with the principles of heaven. For the Spirit to recreate in us the character of our Lord we involve ourselves only in those things which will produce Christlike purity, health, and joy in our lives. This means that our amusement and entertainment should meet the highest standards of Christian taste and beauty. While recognizing cultural differences, our dress is to be simple, modest, and neat, befitting those whose true beauty does not consist of outward adornment but in the imperishable ornament of a gentle and quiet spirit. It also means that because our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, we are to care for them intelligently. Along with adequate exercise and rest, we are to adopt the most healthful diet possible and abstain from the unclean foods identified in the Scriptures. Since alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and the irresponsible use of drugs and narcotics are harmful to our bodies, we are to abstain from them as well. Instead, we are to engage in whatever brings our thoughts and bodies into the discipline of Christ, who desires our wholesomeness, joy, and goodness. (Rom. 12:1, 2; 1 John 2:6; Eph. 5:1-21; Phil. 4:8; 2 Cor. 10:5; 6:14-7:1; 1 Peter 3:1-4; 1 Cor. 6:19, 20; 10:31; Lev. 11:1-47; 3 John 2.) {1981, FB1981 7.12}
22. Marriage and the Family {1981, FB1981 7.13}
Marriage was divinely established in Eden and affirmed by Jesus to be a lifelong union between a man and a woman in loving companionship. For the Christian a marriage commitment is to God as well as to the spouse, and should be entered into only between partners who share a common faith. Mutual love, honor, respect, and responsibility are the fabric of this relationship, which is to reflect the love, sanctity, closeness, and permanence of the relationship between Christ and His church. Regarding divorce, Jesus taught that the person who divorces a spouse, except for fornication, and marries another, commits adultery. Although some family relationships may fall short of the ideal, marriage partners who fully commit themselves to each other in Christ may achieve loving unity through the guidance of the Spirit and the nurture of the church. God blesses the family and intends that its members shall assist each other toward complete maturity. Parents are to bring up their children to love and obey the Lord. By their example and their words they are to teach them that Christ is a loving disciplinarian, ever tender and caring, who wants them to become members of His body, the family of God. Increasing family closeness is one of the earmarks of the final gospel message. (Gen. 2:18-25; Matt. 19:3-9; John 2:1-11; 2 Cor. 6:14; Eph. 5:21-33; Matt. 5:31, 32; Mark 10:11, 12; Luke 16:18; 1 Cor. 7:10, 11; Ex. 20:12; Eph. 6:1-4; Deut. 6:5-9; Prov. 22:6; Mal. 4:5, 6.) {1981, FB1981 7.14}

Challenge question: Which of the doctrines are still the same?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Last edited by Green Cochoa; 02/28/21 11:34 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo

Re: History of the Beliefs of the Adventist Church [Re: Green Cochoa] #193852
03/01/21 12:03 AM
03/01/21 12:03 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Now, compare those changes to our "fundamentals" against the following statements of Mrs. White.

[October 6, 1903]
We are God?s commandment-keeping people. For the last fifty years every phase of heresy has been brought to bear upon us, to tear down the foundation principles of our faith. Messages of every order and kind have been urged upon Seventh-day Adventists to take the place of the truth which point by point has been testified to by the miracle-working power of the Lord. But the waymarks which have made us what we are are to be preserved, and they will be preserved, as God has signified through His Word and the testimony of His Spirit. From the great system of truth as it has been presented by God?s messengers, not a pin is to be removed. {Lt232-1903.42}

[August 1, 1904]
Proclaim this message; for it is your life. God will give you the power of His grace. He will give you the treasures of truth, and the Holy Spirit will make them shine in their original luster. Give to the world the message the Lord has given you. Remove not a pin or a pillar from the foundation of our faith. Preach the truth as it has been given by the Lord. This truth is powerful in the conviction of sinners. {Lt279-1904.20}

[January 22, 1906]
...We [could] both [relate] much of the wonderful working of the grace of God which has confirmed us in every point of our faith under the Holy Spirit?s guidance, and we knew and could testify of the great working of the Lord in such wonderful power in the early period of this work, which has established, strengthened, settled us where not a pin or pillar can be moved in our experience in the great living, testing truths for this time. All the power and glory of God was revealed in the descent of the Holy Spirit as on the day of Pentecost, and we can never, no never lose our position in believing the facts of Bible truth. Notwithstanding specious, seducing sentiments are coming in, we hold the beginning of our confidence firm unto this time, and shall unto the end. {Lt407-1906.3}

[January 23, 1906]
And now, after half a century of clear light from the Word as to what is truth, there are arising many false theories to unsettle minds. But the evidence given in our early experience has the same force that it had then. The truth is the same as it ever has been, and not a pin or a pillar can be moved from the structure of truth. That which was sought for out of the Word in 1844, 1845, and 1846 remains the truth today in every particular. {Lt38-1906.3}

[March 24, 1906]
?Christ now has a work for you to do. When the shepherds of the flock, who have believed the truth, are led into forbidden paths through deceptive, false testimonies, meet it with all the decision that the Holy Spirit will impart. Not a pin, not a pillar is to be moved. Not one step is to be taken in commingling worldly science and the bringing in of ?new light.?? {Ms36-1906.4}

[July, 1906]
There are very many things I have to communicate?past, present, and future. This we are doing. We shall see. The old hands are few now that understand the work in years past, so we shall reprint history of the past; then I shall bring that which years ago, before my husband died, I was shown I would have to reprint; for not a pin or pillar had been moved from the building of the work the last sixty years. Every effort that Satan could make would be made to tear up the foundation of our faith in the third angel?s message. See Ephesians, chapters 4 and 5; chapter 6, verses 10-18. {Lt224a-1906.6}

[December 25, 1906]
My brother, link up with Elder Olsen. Give him your confidence. Love as brethren, and be laborers together with God. Be not of that number who are ever learning, but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. It is your privilege to know what is truth, because for more than half a century, we have been guided step by step by the counsels of the Spirit of God. At this time many efforts will be made to unsettle our faith in the Sanctuary question; but we must not waver. Not a pin is to be moved from the foundations of our faith. Truth is still truth. Those who become uncertain will drift into erroneous theories and will finally find themselves infidel in regard to the past evidence we have had of what is truth. The old waymarks must be preserved, that we lose not our bearings. {Lt395-1906.11}
Lt395-1906 (December 25, 1906)

But we have changed our pillars!

Note especially that Mrs. White gives dates for when the pillars were established: 1844-1846. She says plainly that the beliefs they came to understand at that time, through diligent study and by the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit, is still the truth today. As she put it: "Truth is still truth." It seems that this need not even be said--but she was inspired to write it just the same.

Notice also that in 1906 she extends her statement to speak of the truths as having been built up during "the last sixty years." That extends back to 1846 when the fundamental principles were first established by the pioneers.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!