HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions #191187
11/04/19 02:00 PM
11/04/19 02:00 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
The King James Version has been a tried and true text that shows the truths of Adventism and if you go into a Adventist church, on the whole you will find this is the Bible of preference as most modern versions have issues to say the least.

The Textus Receptus or Majority Text which is what the King James is based on has been attacked with changes, amendments, deletions, and to diminish Gods truth. Many places of learning including Adventist schools and Christian Colleges and Universities have switched over to versions using the Minority Text (Westcott and Hort or Nestle and Aland) for the classroom while still using the King James Version in public, so few notice. So many of the new versions are based on the corrupted manuscripts and deletions which form the basis of the Minority Text, that its easy to pick one up and not notice. So how are Bible doctrines affected by these modern versions based on the Minority Text, lets take a look at what these changes do in this study I came across which states with Matthew:

MATTHEW

Matthew 1:25 "her firstborn" is omitted. That Jesus was her firstborn indicates that Mary and Joseph had relations after the birth of Jesus and that others were born of her. The omission here seeks to add credence to the false doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church concerning the perpetual virginity of Mary. The Bible is clear that Jesus had brothers and sisters.

Matthew 5:22 "without a cause" is removed. In the Sermon on the Mount the Lord warned of judgment for those who were angry with a brother without a cause. Should this change be accepted everyone who is angry with his brother may be judged. (The effect is to bring Jesus into judgment for failing to observe his own words in Mark 3:5 "5 And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other." Such is contrary to the doctrine of the sinlessness of Christ.)

Matthew 6:4, 6, 18 "openly" is out. It is a Bible Doctrine that Christian work done unnoticed for the glory of the Lord will one day be rewarded openly (Col. 3:4).

Matthew 6:13 "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever, Amen" is deleted. This ascription of praise to "Our Father" is found in 491 out of 500 existing manuscripts.

Matthew 8:29 "Jesus" is left out. The demons bore witness to the fact that Jesus was the Son of God. It was an identification of Jesus (in humanity) as the Son of God (in Deity). It affects the doctrine of the Person of Christ.

Matthew 9:8 "marvelled" is changed to "were afraid." There is no reason to believe that the people were afraid because Jesus healed the sick of the palsy. There is every reason for them to marvel at the miracle.

Matthew 9:13 "to repentance" is left out. The Bible doctrine of repentance is one that men would like to do away with. God requires that in order to be saved one must truly repent (Acts 17:30; 2 Peter 3:9). The word means "a change of mind" and there must be that concerning God, sin and salvation. Men think that sin does not really separate them from God--they must change their mind about that. Men think that salvation is by works--they must change their mind about that. There is nothing more evident today than the absence of repentance among those who are professing to be converted.

Matthew 15:8 "draweth nigh unto me with their mouth" is left out. According to Isaiah 29:13 it belongs in because Isaiah prophesied of these hypocrites exactly that way.

Matthew 16:2,3 "When it is evening ... the signs of the times" is all omitted. The Pharisees and Sadducees came looking for a sign and the signs were all around them. Jesus called them hypocrites because they could not tell the signs of the times.

Matthew 17:21 Whole verse is left out. Power with God is to be had by prayer and fasting. That is a fundamental truth of the Word of God.

Matthew 18:2 "Jesus" is left out. This is done many times by the corrupt Greek Text of Westcott and Hort. The MAJORITY Text continuously places the word "Jesus" in the narrative with the definite article preceding it. Thus it places him in the center of things and in command. It is doctrinally unsound for such prominence to be discarded for the word "he."

Matthew 18:11 The whole verse is omitted. This verse tells us that man is lost, that he needs to be saved, and that the Son of man is the one who can do that. The doctrine of salvation through Jesus Christ is affected by this change.

Matthew 18:15 "against thee" is omitted. This omission sets us up as watchdogs over others and if one sins we are to go and tell him. Such is not the teaching of Scripture. Were we to declare every sin we would be constantly busy (bodies) judging the actions and motives of everyone. This change is a very bad error.

Matthew 18:35 "their trespasses" is omitted. Same thought as mentioned in 18:15.

Matthew 19:9 "and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery" is removed. This is a very important doctrinal change which concerns divorce and remarriage. A man who divorces his wife and remarries commits adultery, and also the man who marries the divorced wife commits adultery.

Matthew 19:16,17 "Good" before Master is omitted. In addition to that, the phrase "Why callest thou me good?" is changed to "Why askest thou me concerning the good?" Good Master is correct and Jesus responded to show the young man that only one was good and that one was God. The conclusion should have been obvious. Since Jesus was good he was necessarily God. The omission and change destroys the intended testimony to the Deity of Christ.

Matthew 20:16 "for many be called, but few chosen" is left out. The Lord would have us know that many are called to inherit eternal life, but few are chosen by virtue of believing in Christ. It is a Bible doctrine that God wants all men to be saved but few will come to Christ for salvation.

Matthew 21:12 "of God" is out. Jesus, who was God in the flesh, came to his own temple and said, "My house shall be called the house of prayer." It was the temple of God and the God of the temple was there.

Matthew 22:30 "of God" is removed. There are good angels and fallen angels. The believers, in the resurrection, will be like the good angels "of God" who alone are in heaven.

Matthew 23:8 "Master" is changed to "teacher." There are many teachers but only one master. The change here takes away the pre- eminence that God intends for his Son.

Matthew 25:13 "wherein the Son of man cometh" is omitted. The warning to watch is tied to the imminent return of the Lord. The omission here does away with the doctrine of the Lord's second advent.

Matthew 26:28 "new" is dropped before testament. The apostle Paul tells us that Jesus said, "this cup is the NEW testament in my blood." The change here is intended to corrupt the Word of God and to confuse Christians.

Matthew 27:35 "that it might be fulfilled ... did they cast lots" is all omitted. It is very important in Matthew's gospel, where Jesus is portrayed as the King of Israel, to show that he is the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies. Here the parting of his garments and casting lots is the fulfillment of Psalm 22:18 which portrays the crucifixion of Christ. To omit this is to show the intended corruption of the Word of God by the textual critics.

Matthew 28:6 "the Lord" is omitted. The very reverent angels said, "see the place where the Lord lay." They would not say, "see the place where he lay." The constant attempt to humanize Jesus and take away from his Deity does not endear the Westcott and Hort Greek Text to believers.

This is just Matthew, these changes and deletions is done all the way to Revelation...

Last edited by Rick H; 04/24/21 07:53 PM.
Re: Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions [Re: Rick H] #194007
04/24/21 07:41 PM
04/24/21 07:41 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Now how about Adventist doctrines, one of the physical manifestations of Ellen White when she went into vision was that like Daniel, the breath went completely out of her, she did not breathe, often for hours. Notice the difference between the NIV and the KJV.

Dan 10:17 (KJV) For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

Daniel 10:17 (New International Version)
17 How can I, your servant, talk with you, my lord? My strength is gone and I can hardly breathe."

We see, "I can hardly breathe" is a far cry from "neither is there breath left in me"

Notice this next example also taken from the Book of Daniel:
Dan 3:25 (KJV) He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

Daniel 3:25 (New International Version)
25 He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."

What son of what god are they talking about here? Jupiter, Baal, Apollos? The sun god of the Babylonians, Mirtha......?

Re: Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions [Re: Rick H] #194008
04/24/21 07:42 PM
04/24/21 07:42 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
And of course the NIV changes in Hebrews 9, where the NIV changes 'holy place' to 'Most Holy Place.' Also, Colossians 2,'sabbaths' to 'a Sabbath day.' Etc."

"Hebrews 9 says that Christ entered the 'greater and more perfect tabernacle . . .' and that He entered the Holy Place. v. 12 says that Christ entered the Holy Place, ta hagia, not the Most Holy Place, hagia haggiwn.

The NIV, along with others, have attempted to change that. In vv. 24ff, it says He sacrificed Himself. But your best clue is found in what you yourself have said. His stated work was 'to make intercession for us.' That is the distinctive ministry of the courtyard and the Holy Place. The work in the Most Holy Place was a work of judgment....Heb. 9 specifies that Christ entered ta hagia, the holy place, as opposed to hagia haggiwn .

Re: Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions [Re: Rick H] #194009
04/24/21 07:44 PM
04/24/21 07:44 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
And one Adventist know by heart, the King James Version says: "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.'

According to these words, one needs to keep the commandments.

The New International Version says: 'Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.'

Clearly it changes the meaning to say nothing of the intent of what the writer was putting down.

Re: Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions [Re: Rick H] #194010
04/24/21 07:48 PM
04/24/21 07:48 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Then the doctrine of the GodHead, the NIV removes the critically important word "Godhead" from Acts 17:29, Romans 1:20, and Colossians 2:9.
Those are the only 3 mentions of the Word in the Bible; yet, they have all been removed. Then we have the following:

John 1:3 (New International Version, )
"3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."

Now here is what the King James Bible says...

John 1:3, 'All things were made BY HIM; and without him was not any thing made that was made.'

1st John 5:7 in the NIV reads...

1 John 5:7 (New International Version)
"7 For there are three that testify"

Here is what King James Bible reads...

1st John 5:7, 'For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.'

Subtly this is a change affecting the deity of Jesus Christ.

We find it again in NIV in Colossians 1:16...

Colossians 1:16 (New International Version)
"16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him."

Now here is what the King James Bible says...

Colossians 1:16, 'For BY HIM were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him.'

The King James Bible says that "by Him," that is, by Jesus Christ, were all things created. The Scriptures attribute creation directly to the Lord Jesus Christ

The NIV doesn't miss the point again in John 1:10...

John 1:10 (New International Version, ?2011)

10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.

Here is what the King James Bible reads...

John 1:10, 'He was in the world, and the world was MADE BY HIM, and the world knew him not.'

Satan knows that if he can change each new version of the Bible just a little bit, then it won't be too long before all truth is gone.

Re: Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions [Re: Rick H] #194019
04/30/21 08:03 PM
04/30/21 08:03 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted by Rick H
Now how about Adventist doctrines, one of the physical manifestations of Ellen White when she went into vision was that like Daniel, the breath went completely out of her, she did not breathe, often for hours. Notice the difference between the NIV and the KJV.

Dan 10:17 (KJV) For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

17 How can I, your servant, talk with you, my lord? My strength is gone and I can hardly breathe."

We see, "I can hardly breathe" is a far cry from "neither is there breath left in me"

Dan 3:25 (KJV) He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

25 He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."

What son of what god are they talking about here? Jupiter, Baal, Apollos? The sun god of the Babylonians, Mirtha......?

I agree, it does appear on the surface to be different.

So what is your standard by how do you determine which one is correct?

Re: Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions [Re: kland] #194021
05/01/21 09:55 AM
05/01/21 09:55 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted by kland

I agree, it does appear on the surface to be different.

So what is your standard by how do you determine which one is correct?

Well there is one thing that shows the corrupted Alexandrian versions. Take a look and you will find it is missing verses, look up this one...
Acts 8:37 King James Version (KJV)
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

This basically shows it is based on Hort and Westcott changes from the Alexandrian Codices which is known as the Minority Text for good reason. Check out this study... https://www.angelfire.com/la2/prophet1/mintext1.html

Last edited by Rick H; 05/01/21 10:00 AM.
Re: Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions [Re: Rick H] #194031
05/05/21 12:00 PM
05/05/21 12:00 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Again, should those verses be included in the Bible or not?

What is your standard by how do you determine which is correct?

Re: Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions [Re: Rick H] #194158
06/15/21 03:59 AM
06/15/21 03:59 AM
Matthew 10vs8  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

Ili Ili, AS
And one Adventist know by heart, the King James Version says: "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.'

According to these words, one needs to keep the commandments.

The New International Version says: 'Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.'

Clearly it changes the meaning to say nothing of the intent of what the writer was putting down.
Absolutely are modern English 'versions' which claim to be Bibles affecting, even altering correct and true doctrine, to false doctrines/practices.

A primary example is the corrupt NKJV in Hebrews 9:12 where it makes a very serious change, without notification (parenthesis or italics) and being not represented by a single koine Greek mss. That counterfeit 'book' (which contains some Bible) attacks the Remnant (Seventh-day Adventists) more than any other, and it is "subtil" (Genesis 3:1 KJB) in many places (demonstrable upon request).

You are correct, RickH, that the NIV reads differently in Revelation 22:14 than in the KJB, and because it does so, affects entry into the New Jerusalem.

God has preserved His words (Psalms 12:6-7; 1 Chronicles 16:15; Psalms 89:34, 105:8; Deuteronomy 8:3; Matthew 4:4, Luke 4:4; Matthew 5:18, 24:35; Mark 13:31; Luke 21:33; John 12:48) to this very present moment (now), and I have them in my hand by promise of God Himself, in the English of the KJB.

Revelation 22:14 reads as preserved by God in the KJB:

Rev 22:14? Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

The questions come, "Again, should those verses be included in the Bible or not? What is your standard by how do you determine which is correct?"

In answer, "Yes, it should be included." "God already determined what is to be preserved (see references previously given). We do not decide. We may have evidence of God's preservation, but we do not use that evidence to decide what to preserve. It is not our prerogative to decide what is to be preserved, it belongs to God alone."

So, how do we know which 'reading' (KJB or NIV) or 'text' (GNT TR, MAJORITY, MASORETIC HEBREW, etc or that which originates with Alexandria and Rome, such as Vaticanus (B) and Sinaiticus (Aleph), Alexandrinus (A), etc) is the one God preserved?

Take a look at the structure of Revelation - https://archive.org/download/michae...mpared%2C%207%20Branch%20Candlestick.pdf

[1.] When compared in its own 'bones', 'bone with bone', line upon line'; the very foundational structure of the text, we see the pattern that emerges. Revelation 21-22 parallels with Revelation 1-5 (see previous link) in very language.

The phrase "Blessed are they that do his commandments" (Rev. 22:14), parallel "Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." (Revelation 1:3), for "do his commandments" is the very same as saying "readeth, ... and hear ... and keep those things which are written therein (such as God's commandments, Revelation 1:2,9,10, being "the word" "of God" (Deuteronomy 4:2; Isaiah 1:10, etc), see that comparison here - https://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=194127#Post194127 )

[2] We know that John, being inspired of the Holy Ghost, was citing many OT scriptures in the Revelation. John, in Revelation 22:14, was quoting from the OT:

Such as Ezekiel 44:16, all the way through unto Ezekiel 47:12.

Ezekiel 44:16 They shall enter into my sanctuary, and they shall come near to my table, to minister unto me, and they shall keep my charge.

Ezekiel 47:12? And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.?

See also Psalms 118:19-20:

Psalms 118:19? Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD:?

Psa 118:20? This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter.?

We know that "righteousness" is God's commandments (Psalms 119:172).

See also Isaiah 26:2:

Isaiah 26:2? Open ye the gates, that the righteous nation which keepeth the truth may enter in.

We know that "truth" is God's commandments (Psalms 119:142,151).

We also know that the end times deals with keeping God's commandments, as per Revelation 12:17, 14:6-12, 15:2, etc.

[3] The MSS (manuscripts, papyri, codice, lectionaries, so called 'ecf') themselves:

Revelation 22:14 as read in the GNT TR (Greek New Testament, Textus Receptus) or KJB (King James Bible) is as follows:

"046,
Cursives: MAJORITY - Andreas and 046 mss
Old Latin: gig
Syriac: philoxonean, harclean
Coptic: bohairic
Armenian"

The phrase "wash their robes" is found in:

"Aleph (Sinaiticus), A (Alexandrinus)
pc
ar, c, dem, div, haf
Vulgate (Jerome's Latin)
sa,
Arm-usc, mg, Ethiopic"

Source, A Closer Look: Early Manuscripts & The AV, by Jack Moorman, page 153 (I have on my desk, as I type)

Thus it is literally thousands (KJB) to a few emended and suspect texts (NIV, RV). Even Jerome admitted to altering the Old Latin. Aleph is likely a forgery of Constantine Simonides for the Russian Tzar, see the great research by David W Daniels and Chris Pinto, among others.

In the so called' "ECF" (early church fathers) we find the reading according to the GNT TR and KJB:

"TERTULLIAN, On Modesty (I 4:96)
CYPRIAN, Treatises (I, 5:525)"

The phrase "wash their robes" is not found in the "ecf". However, there is a phrase which is close:

"ATHANASIUS, Against Arians (III, 4:444) "Blessed are they who make broad their robes"

Source, Early Church Fathers And The Authorized Version, by Jack Moorman, page 61 (I have on my desk, as I type)

See also Will Kinney's website, Brand Plucked on Revelation 22:14 KJB -

"It is also so quoted by several church Fathers, including Tertullian 220, Cryprian 258, Tyconius 380 A.D., Andrew, Beatus and Arethas. All this information is found in his own UBS Greek New Testament critical text First edition!"

"It is the text of the Reformation Bibles in all languages.

This includes Tyndale 1525, Coverdale 1535, the Great Bible 1540, Matthew's Bible 1549, the Bishop's Bible 1568, the Geneva Bible 1587 - " Blessed are they, that doe his commandments", The Beza New Testament 1599 and the 1611 King James Holy Bible.

After 1611 it continued to be the reading in The Bill Bible 1671, Whiston's Primitive N.T. 1745, John Wesley's 1755 translation, Worsley Version 1770, The Clarke N.T. 1795, the Newcome N.T. 1796, The Thompson Bible 1808, The Improved N.T. 1809, The Revised Translation 1815, The Thompson N.T. 1816, The Wakefield N.T. 1820, The Kneeland N.T. 1823, The Dickinson N.T. 1833, Webster's 1833 version, Living Oracles 1835, The New Covenant N.T. 1836, The Pickering N.T. 1840, The Hammond N.T. 1845, The Hussey N.T. 1845, The Morgan N.T. 1848, the Etheridge Translation 1849 and Murdock's Translation of the Syriac 1851, The Commonly Received Version 1851, The Boothroyd Bible 1853, The Sawyer N.T. 1858, The Revised New Testament 1862, The Emphatic Diaglott Bible 1865, The Smith Bible 1876, The Dillard N.T. 1885, and the Aramaic Bible in Plain English - "Blessings to those who ARE DOING his Commandments."

It is also the reading of Youngs literal 1898, the NKJV 1982, the KJV 21st Century Version 1994, Green's Modern KJV 2000, The Word of Yah Bible 1993, the Worldwide English New Testament 1998, The Koster Scriptures 1998, the Interlinear Greek New Testament 1997 (Larry Pierce), the Lawrie Translation of 1998, Last Days Bible 1999, God's First Truth 1999, The Tomson N.T. 2002, Apostolic Bible Polyglot Greek 2003, the Heritage Bible of 2003, Green's Literal 2005, Robinson-Pierpoint Byzantine Greek New Testament, the Third Millennium Bible 1998, A Conservative Version 2005, Complete Apostles Bible 2005, The Pickering N.T. 2005, The Revised Geneva Bible 2005, Bond Slave Version 2009, the English Majority Text Version of 2009 by Paul Esposito, the Holy Scriptures Jubilee Bible of 2010, the Online Linear of 2009 by Andre de Mol, Holy Scriptures VW Edition 2010, The Far Above All Translation 2011, the Natural Israelite Bible of 2012 - "Blessed are those who do His commandments.", Hebraic Roots Bible 2012, World English Bible 2012, The English Majority Text N.T. 2013, The Aramaic Plain English Bible 2013, the Hebrew Names Version 2014, The Modern Literal N.T. 2014 and The Holy Bible, Modern English Version 2014 - "Blessed are those who DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city." and the New Matthew Bible 2016. "

"Among foreign language Bibles "Blessed are they that DO his commandments" is the reading found in Luther's German Bible of 1545 - "Selig sind, die seine Gebote halten" ..." - [/url]

Additionally, others have...lesia.org/truth/manuscript_evidence.html

Others still have noted that the differing readings may be due to a mistake in the koine Greek phrase of "POIOUNTESTASENTOLASAUTOU" (do his commandments), is similar to "PLUNONTESTASSTOLASAUTON" (rinse their robes) :

"Revelation 22:14:
TEXT: "?Blessed [are] those who rinse their robes"
EVIDENCE: S A 1006 2053 most lat vg cop(south)
TRANSLATIONS: ASV RSV NASV NIV NEB TEV

NOTES: "?Blessed [are] those who do his commandments"
EVIDENCE: 046 1 94 1611 1854 Maj one lat syr(ph,h) cop(north)
TRANSLATIONS: KJV RSVn

COMMENTS: The two readings are pronounced similarly in Greek. It is not hard to see how PLUNONTESTASSTOLASAUTON might have changed into POIOUNTESTASENTOLASAUTOU (that is, how "rinse their robes" changed into "do his commandments"), especially since "do his commandments" would be much more expected than "rinse their robes." Elsewhere John writes "keep the commandments" (Revelation 12:17; 14:12)." - http://web.ovu.edu/terry/tc/lay31rev.htm

Though they think it went from 'rinse their robes' to "do his commandments", the comparison is a good one, though they erred in the origin (or permutation) of one to the other. Even so, they clearly state "... "do his commandments" would be much more expected ..."

[4.] We can know from scripture that "Egypt" and "Babylon", even "Rome" (especially 'papal' Rome) are negatively spoken of By God in the word. God speaks highly of "Antioch", where persons where first called Christians (Acts 11:26), which is where the GNT TR and MAJORITY, etc come from. God had told His people a long time ago not to go down into Egypt for horses, weapons, etc (Isaiah 30:2; Jeremiah 42:19, etc). God warned His people to flee from Babylon (Revelation 18:1-5), and to give to Caesar (Rome) what belonged to him (Matthew 22:21; Mark 12:17; Luke 20:25). Why would we accept mss that come from those areas? God warned of anti Christian things, false messengers, coming out of a "desert" (Egypt, Alexandria) and "secret chambers" (like the Vatican vaults in Rome, see Matthew 24:26).

[5.] Sister White, the messenger of the Lord and more than a prophet cites the Revelation 22:14 of the King James Bible many, many times: See - https://text.egwwritings.org/search...do+his+commandments%22&Search=Search Sister White does not once quote a version that reads like the NIV (or RV), "wash their robes" for Revelation 22:14. When she does use the phrase "wash their robes" it refers to Revelation 7:14 KJB text, and not Revelation 22:14 in the contexts.

[6] The men of the King James translation committee were some of the most godly men in their age, and were the greatest of linguists and scholars. An indepth consideration may be begun here (by brother Sam Gipp) - https://ia803206.us.archive.org/19/items/24-hour-syllabus/24%20Hour%20SYLLABUS.pdf

[7] The KJB is the book which even bears the name of Christ's counterpart (James or "Jacob", ie Israel) and is authorized by a godly King:

Ecc_8:4? Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?

Much more may be said about King James I of England (VI of Scotland) and his godly ways and character.

[8] Much more can be said about the very character of the KJB itself, in how many revivals it has wrought, and victories won for the Kingdom of God, and how many hammers it (the anvil) has worn out, and how many of tried to silence this great Lion of Heaven.

Last edited by Matthew 10vs8; 06/15/21 04:03 AM.
Re: Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions [Re: Rick H] #194161
06/16/21 03:56 AM
06/16/21 03:56 AM
Matthew 10vs8  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

Ili Ili, AS
The King James Version has been a tried and true text that shows the truths of Adventism and if you go into a Adventist church, on the whole you will find this is the Bible of preference as most modern versions have issues to say the least.

The Textus Receptus or Majority Text which is what the King James is based on has been attacked with changes, amendments, deletions, and to diminish Gods truth. Many places of learning including Adventist schools and Christian Colleges and Universities have switched over to versions using the Minority Text (Westcott and Hort or Nestle and Aland) for the classroom while still using the King James Version in public, so few notice. So many of the new versions are based on the corrupted manuscripts and deletions which form the basis of the Minority Text, that its easy to pick one up and not notice. So how are Bible doctrines affected by these modern versions...

This is just Matthew, these changes and deletions is done all the way to Revelation...
Yes, indeed, let's consider:

Let's consider the so-called "translation" of the NWT (JW) (but reads like the NIV and others), and show that it is based upon Vaticanus (B) and Sinaiticus (aleph) even further:

The King James Bible, faithful as ever reads:

Mar 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

In the NWT, in Mark 9:29, it reads:

Mark 9:29 NWT - 29 He said to them: ?This kind can come out only by prayer.?

The side notation on the NWT says [red, bold and underline added by myself]:

"... by prayer: Some manuscripts add ?and fasting.? But the earliest and most reliable manuscripts do not include ?and fasting.? These words were evidently added by copyists who advocated fasting and practiced it. They repeatedly included references to fasting where these were not found in earlier copies.?See study note on Mt 17:21. ..."

That is a total lie. Notice:

It is because of Codex Sinaiticus (aleph) (desert) and Codex Vaticanus (B) (secret vaults) (Matthew 24:26) and 0274 (pc, no cursives are cited by the N/A, or UBS), k. These (alone) leave off ?and fasting?.

Yet, consider that vast evidence for ?and fasting?:

?? P45
Aleph-2
C, D, E, F, G, H, K, L, M, N, S, U, V, W, X, Y
Gamma, Delta, Theta, Pi, Sigma, Phi, Psi, Omega
Cursives: MAJORITY fam 1,13
Old Latin: a, aur, b, d, f, f2, i, l, q, r1, Vulgate
Syriac: Pes.hitta, (sin, old Syriac), Harclean, Palestinian
Coptic: Sahidic, Bohairic
Gothic: Armenian, Ethiopic
Also extant in 047?, 055, 0211, 0233?, 0257? ?? - A Closer Look: Early Manuscripts & The AV, by Jack Moorman, page 79

It is not as the NWT notation which says "Some manuscripts", but in all practicability, all of them. It is not as the NWT notation says, "the earliest and most reliable manuscripts", but only primarily refers to Vaticanus and Sinaiticus the two most emended codices/texts on earth.

It is even found in the so called ECF:

Thomas Aquinas, citing Chrysostom, and Theophylact, and Bede, and Pseudo-Jerome, in Catena Aurea, states on Mark 9:29:

"? Chrys.: They feared that perchance they had lost the grace conferred upon them; for they had already received power over unclean spirits.

It goes on: ?And He said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing but by prayer and fasting.? ?" - https://ccel.org/ccel/aquinas/catena2/catena2.iii.ix.html 2

?? Theophylact: That is, the whole class of lunatics, or simply, of all persons possessed with devils. Both the man to be cured, and he who cures him, should fast; for a real prayer is offered up, when fasting is joined with prayer, when he who prays is sober and not heavy with food. ?? - https://ccel.org/ccel/aquinas/catena2/catena2.iii.ix.html 2

?? Bede: Further, 179 our Lord, while teaching the Apostles how the worst devil is to be expelled, gives all of us rules for our life; that is, He would have us know that all the more grievous attacks of evil spirits or of men are to be overcome by fastings and prayers; and again, that the anger of the Lord, when it is kindled for vengeance on our crimes, can be appeased by this remedy alone. ?? - https://ccel.org/ccel/aquinas/catena2/catena2.iii.ix.html 2

?? Pseudo-Jerome: Or else, the folly which is connected with the softness of the flesh, is healed by fasting; anger and laziness are healed by prayer. Each would has its own medicine, which must be applied to it; that which is used for the heel will not cure the eye; by fasting, the passions of the body, by prayer, the plagues of the soul, are healed. ?? - https://ccel.org/ccel/aquinas/catena2/catena2.iii.ix.html 2​

Even the Douay Rheims has (which counters their Jerome's corrupted Vulgate):

Mar 9:29 (9:28) And he said to them: This kind can go out by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

Consider more from Brand Plucked, by brother Will Kinney:

"... The words "and fasting" again are in the Majority texts, as well as Sinaiticus correction, C, D, and P45 which predates them all. The words are also found in the Old Latin, Syriac, Coptic, and the Douay version.

Yet because Vaticanus omits them, the NASB, NIV, ESV also omit "with fasting". But now the new Holman Christian Standard has put "with fasting" back in the text but in brackets, while the ISV again includes "with fasting" and no brackets. ..." - https://brandplucked.webs.com/markmvmixup.htm

Additional:

"... Mark 9:29:
TEXT: "This kind can come out by nothing except by prayer."
EVIDENCE: S* B one lat
TRANSLATIONS: ASV RSV NASV NIV NEB TEV

NOTES: "This kind can come out by nothing except by prayer and fasting."
EVIDENCE: p45vid Sb A C D K L W X Delta Theta Pi Psi f1 f13 28 33 565 700 892 1010 1241 Byz Lect most lat vg syr(h) syr(s,p,pal) ("fasting and prayer") cop
TRANSLATIONS: KJV ASVn RSVn NASVn NIVn NEBn ..." - http://web.ovu.edu/terry/tc/lay05mrk.htm

Moreover:

"... Mark 9:29

"and fasting" is omitted by the RV, Ne, NIV, NKJV marg., RSV, GN, LB, NASV, NSRB marg., NEB, NWT, 313. AMP italicises the words.

Hills (3) p 138, states that Aleph, B and the other Alexandrian manuscripts omit the words, probably owing to the influence of Alexandrian Gnostics. Berry's Greek text, reflecting the majority of manuscripts, retains the words. ..." - http://ecclesia.org/truth/manuscript_evidence.html

Mark's account parallels that of Matthew's:

Mat_17:21? Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Even John the Baptist, and his disciples would fast and pray:

Luk_5:33? And they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink?

Further evidence in the NT includes "fasting" with "prayer":

Mat_6:16? Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:17? But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;?

Mat_9:15? And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

Mar_2:20? But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.

Luk_5:35? But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.

Act_10:30? And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,

Act_14:23? And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.

1Co_7:5? Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

The OT, speaks of the true "fast" from sin:

Joe_1:14? Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD,

Isa 58:1? Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.?
Isa 58:2? Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.?
Isa 58:3? Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.?
Isa 58:4? Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.?
Isa 58:5? Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD??
Isa 58:6? Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke??
Isa 58:7? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh??
Isa 58:8? Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.?
Isa 58:9? Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;?
Isa 58:10? And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:?
Isa 58:11? And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.?
Isa 58:12? And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.?
Isa 58:13? If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:?
Isa 58:14? Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.?

The Day of Atonement (type and antitype) is a day of fasting (afflicting of soul):

Lev 16:29? And this shall be a statute for ever unto you: that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, ye shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether it be one of your own country, or a stranger that sojourneth among you:?
Lev 16:30? For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the LORD.?
Lev 16:31? It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever.?

Lev 23:26? And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,?
Lev 23:27? Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.?
Lev 23:28? And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.?
Lev 23:29? For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.?
Lev 23:30? And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people.?
Lev 23:31? Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.?
Lev 23:32? It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

Sister White herself, (the prophet), when quoting the scripture, included "and fasting", which is in agreement with the law of God, His word.

https://text.egwwritings.org/search.php?lang=en&collection=2&section=all&QUERY=%22nothing%2C+but+by+prayer+and+fasting%22&Search=Search

It is always by "prayer" "and fasting".

The NWT, and the NIV, and those like them, are of the devil, removing "and fasting", so that they are not 'cast out' of the fallen churches, who 'eat' sumptuously and many 'dainties', and drink corrupt 'wine':

Rev 18:2? And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!