HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,186
Posts195,505
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 17
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (Kevin H, TruthinTypes, Wendell Slattery, Daryl, ProdigalOne, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man #194833
06/02/22 12:38 PM
06/02/22 12:38 PM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that [would come] from thence.
16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

The Jewish nation had put their trust in Abraham, in being the descendants of Abraham, rather than putting their faith in God. "We be Abraham's seed," they said proudly. (John 8:33) thinking this was their ticket to salvation and acceptance by God, while they rejected Jesus.

"If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill Me, a man that has told you the truth, which I have heard of God. This did not Abraham." John 8:39, 40.
One named Lazarus (Mary and Martha's brother) was raised from the dead, a living proof that Christ had the power of life over death. But they would not believe, proving the statement "though one were raised from the dead " it would do no good.

Also, in Galatians 3:29 "And if ye are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. " The rich man claimed to be Abraham's son, but he was separated from the promises made to Abraham by a great gulf. A gulf that only Christ can span, and has spanned for all that will believe and make Him their Lord and Savior.

The parable can have application to the final event after the millennium when those in Christ stand with Christ (in the great throng of redeemed in the New Jerusalem) while the raised but lost stand outside fully realizing they have lost everything because they rejected Christ and the salvation HE offered. There is a fire that will consume them

Re: Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man [Re: dedication] #194840
06/05/22 12:03 AM
06/05/22 12:03 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The important question concerning this parable, in my understanding, is --
Why was the poor man saved, and seen with the saved, while the rich man found himself with the lost separated by a gulf from the saved, in the final destructive fire?

We really do not know much about the poor man's spiritual condition. The focus of the story is more on the rich man and we can glean more information from him.

Earlier in the same chapter we read; " Verse 14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him (mocked Jesus).? Notice verse 15: ?And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.?

Jesus was talking to a group of people who were self sufficient. They thought they didn't need justification, they could justify themselves. We are Abraham's seed! They boasted, we don't need anything.

Could this story be connected with the message for these last days?

Revelation 3:17 Because you sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and do not know that you art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness does not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that you mayest see

In God's sight those who think their riches and outward piety are enough, were actually like that blind begger, poor, wretched, miserable and naked. But they didn't recognize it!

The begger recognized his condition, he could not promote himself, his only hope was in God.
While we aren't told of his spiritual condition, his final reward indicates he trusted in God, knowing he could never, of himself qualify. But "the LORD, has heard the desire of the humble: and will prepare their heart". Psalms 10:17

Abraham is portrayed as the great ?man of faith? in the Bible. He is called ?the father of all them that believe? (Romans 4:11). The saved will someday sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom (those who are only descendants of the flesh, but not people of faith) shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (Matt 8:11-12)

Re: Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man [Re: dedication] #194868
06/18/22 08:50 AM
06/18/22 08:50 AM
T
TheophilusOne  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

Fl
I hear so many people using this to show that there is a heaven or hell after we die here that we go to immediately, because of the word "certain". Anyone got any help on explaining "certain" to others?

Re: Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man [Re: dedication] #194872
06/20/22 08:04 PM
06/20/22 08:04 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
You mean as in, "certain beggar"? That seems odd people would use that to mean something of importance. Could you give any more details as to why that means something to them?

Re: Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man [Re: dedication] #194875
06/25/22 12:20 AM
06/25/22 12:20 AM
T
TheophilusOne  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

Fl
Many have said when Jesus uses the word certain, it is referring to an actual person. I can't believe folk would take that parable literally.

Re: Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man [Re: dedication] #194878
06/28/22 01:09 PM
06/28/22 01:09 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
They should look at the Greek:
an enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object:--a (kind of), any (man, thing, thing at all), certain (thing), divers, he (every) man, one (X thing), ought, + partly, some (man, -body, - thing, -what), (+ that no-)thing, what(-soever), X wherewith, whom(-soever), whose(-soever).

You do a search and see things like whomsoever and every man and I'm not sure how He would give a parable without saying a certain man. One of the main subjects of the parable. Which would be an "actual" person of the parable. Not an actual person who actually went to heaven nor hell. But it justifies their beliefs, or hollywood jesuit theater's, so you can't help them.

Re: Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man [Re: TheophilusOne] #194887
07/09/22 07:28 PM
07/09/22 07:28 PM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted by TheophilusOne
Many have said when Jesus uses the word certain, it is referring to an actual person. I can't believe folk would take that parable literally.

A certain rich man -- a man from a certain class of people -- a member of the Jewish upper class.

A certain beggar -- a man from a different class of people -- a member of the lower class.

The two groups of people will see a great reversal of circumstance

Upper class Jewish religious leaders thought that they enjoyed God?s favor. They felt they were rich in spiritual favors and felt they needed nothing more.

Sort of parallels other pronouncements of Jesus.

The supposed rich of Revelation 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Those who remain in that condition will be "spue thee "

Where as the "beggers:
Matt. 5:3 Blessed [are] the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
5:6 Blessed [are] they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
5:7 Blessed [are] the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Re: Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man [Re: dedication] #194915
07/27/22 01:08 AM
07/27/22 01:08 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
From Christ's Object Lessons

"In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, Christ shows that in this life men decide their eternal destiny. During probationary time the grace of God is offered to every soul. But if men waste their opportunities in self-pleasing, they cut themselves off from everlasting life. No after probation will be granted them. By their own choice they have fixed an impassable gulf between them and their God. {COL 260.1}

" Lazarus represents the suffering poor who believe in Christ. When the trumpet sounds and all that are in the graves hear Christ's voice and come forth, they will receive their reward; for their faith in God was not a mere theory, but a reality.

"God had made the rich man a steward of His means, and it was his duty to attend to just such cases as that of the beggar.... But he forgot that he was accountable for the use of his entrusted means and capabilities. The Lord's blessings rested upon him abundantly, but he employed them selfishly, to honor himself, not his Maker. ....

"Christ represented the hopelessness of looking for a second probation. This life is the only time given to man in which to prepare for eternity. {COL 263.3}
"The rich man had not abandoned the idea that he was a child of Abraham, and in his distress he is represented as
calling upon him for aid. "Father Abraham," he prayed, "have mercy on me." He did not pray to God, but to Abraham. Thus he showed that he placed Abraham above God, and that he relied on his relationship to Abraham for salvation. {COL 264

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:23 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 03/15/24 08:53 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
How tall were Adam and Eve?
by dedication. 02/28/24 07:30 PM
Hebrew word YOM or yowm meaning?
by dedication. 02/26/24 05:42 AM
The Book of Job
by teresaq. 02/22/24 04:43 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by kland. 03/05/24 01:37 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Daryl. 02/29/24 11:21 AM
Should Walter Veight have preached this sermon?
by dedication. 02/21/24 05:28 PM
Labor Unions and Adventist
by Rick H. 02/20/24 01:59 PM
Spiritualism: Across The Gulf...
by Rick H. 02/20/24 01:52 PM
Samuele Bacchiocchi & Recent Article Concerns
by dedication. 02/20/24 01:39 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!