HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20069
06/28/03 03:58 AM
06/28/03 03:58 AM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
I too agree that at this point it is not an invasion of privacy. This is a wonderful use of technology to keep track of inventory, etc. Just wonderful. There will come a time when the price is more afordable and read range of these RFID or something else will make it possible for them to do anything with them. Nothing is impossable. Will I NOT buy a product if it is marked that a RFID is implanted in it? Well if I NEEDED it and it was the cheapest...YES I would buy it. But if I did not need it or if it was higher price than something else NO.

I love technology....I think it is just wonderful what inventions, especially with computers, etc., has come up with these days.

I also believe that the new technolgy could be used against us in the end. Am I scared? NOPE. My trust and faith are in God. Whatever happenes we will always be in HIS HANDS. We have nothing to FEAR. Amen. God is wonderful.

Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20070
06/27/03 05:22 PM
06/27/03 05:22 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Avalee, Why then did you draw our attention to this technology in the "End Time Events" forum in such a way as to evoke alarm or concern and specifically agree with Daryl on the privacy issue? In the end of time, of what significance will it be for anyone to know and track what we buy in stores as the last great spiritual battle draws to a climax? And for that matter, how will technology play a role in the great and final spiritual controversy of the ages? What exactly is your point in all this?

Given that the bar codes on products currently serve the very same purpose as what this RFID technology will serve, do you view products with bar codes in the same way when you go into a store? (I recall some of the same kind of end time hysteria over bar codes when they were first being introduced.)

Tom

Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20071
06/27/03 07:15 PM
06/27/03 07:15 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
We do not know what the end of this technology will be do we? Only God knows. There is no need to fear. Trust in God and He will save you.

I have moved this topic to another area of the forum as it seems to not be in the right place. [Big Grin] This topic is just a matter of interest in technology.

We put our trust in God and there is nothing to be alarmed about. I am so very sorry if those reading this got the idea about being alarmed in some way. Even if this technolgy could be used to invade our privacy there is not reason for God's children to be alarmed is there? I pray you will feel better and not be alarmed about things coming upon the world. Remember God will take care of us if we are faithful. Amen

[ June 27, 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20072
07/03/03 03:49 AM
07/03/03 03:49 AM
B
BELLE  Offline
Posting New Member
Canada
The notion that this is no different from a clerk noticing what you buy and your preferences so he/she can help you better next time. Makes me think of the subway shop I go to - the proprietor takes pride in knowing what her customers order and likes to tell me what I want before I order.

It only makes me order something different just for spite. Sometimes they are too pushy that way.

Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20073
07/06/03 05:19 AM
07/06/03 05:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
I went to the RFID link that Avalee provided and came across this interesting tidbit of information:

quote:

This band is allocated for future use.
The FCC have been requested to provide a spectrum allocation of 75 MHz in the 5.85-5.925 GHz band for Intelligent Transportation Services use.

In France the TIS system is based on the proposed European pre-standard (preENV) for vehicle to roadside communications communicating with the roadside via microwave beacons operating at 5.8 GHz.

This alone sends me a red flag signal.
Daryl

Your above post appears quite incomplete. What has this got to do with RFID technology, and what is the "red flag" warning you are talking about? Can you be more specific? Why is this "an interesting tidbit?"

Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20074
07/06/03 02:45 PM
07/06/03 02:45 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
David,

The portion that I quoted is obviously referring to RFID.

Check the site out for yourself and read it in its context.

The word "Intelligent" was what caught my attention.

Also, time will tell about how else RFID could be used, however, they of course wouldn't tell us about those type of usage.

Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20075
07/06/03 10:56 PM
07/06/03 10:56 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I caught a news item on this on CNN which interestingly enough presented the same concern about where this technology could lead to in the area of invasion of privacy sometime in the not too distant future.

Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20076
07/07/03 12:07 AM
07/07/03 12:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
David,

The portion that I quoted is obviously referring to RFID.

Check the site out for yourself and read it in its context.

The word "Intelligent" was what caught my attention.

Also, time will tell about how else RFID could be used, however, they of course wouldn't tell us about those type of usage.

Thankyou Daryl

I have checked out several RFID sites, before I asked you my questions tho; and I don't really understand what the concern here is. You now say "The portion I quoted is obviously referring to RFID;" so I am wondering if you can

a) Tell us exactly which site/book, or other resource you drew that from, so that we may see the true context of your statement and post it here..

b)Why is your quote "obviously referring to RFID?" You just state that it is, but you don't prove why/how??

I have not yet seen any clear dilineation about HOW RFID technology can be used to violate our privacy, unbeknownst to us.

I think some of us are tending to jumping the gun on this one. If we really want to sound the alarm re privacy vilations; we should be telling people about the many VERY REAL ways their privacy is stolen via many other methods. They don't even need RFID technology to violate our privacy in the ways it has been expressed here that they might someday do.

Many people would be quite shocked to learn how much certain ones already know about them, through other means and technology that has been in place for years.

The case that is being made here for RFID and our privacy does not really exist.

Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20077
07/07/03 12:45 AM
07/07/03 12:45 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
If I remember correctly, it is in the site that Avalee provided which would be the last one on the bottom of hyer opening post to this topic.

Also, if CNN is concerned, and they are not even looking at it in the same we that we would be looking at it, then we should also be concerned about the future implications of this and other technological advances.

Re: Walmart To Test RFID Tracking Devices #20078
07/07/03 06:04 AM
07/07/03 06:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks daryl

Can you tell us tho exactly what CNN stated besides the general summary/statement you shared with us?

Also, do we need to be concerned about something, just because CNN is? Is the news really the news?

I think we are going against inspired counsel which tells us not to bring upon ourselves a time of trouble, before it actually gets here; when we try to stretch the available information re RFID technology into a mysterious, ethereal endtimes scenario.

Your above post reveals your concern re Intelligent Transportation System technology, and how RFID, via the ITS technology will be used to invade our privacy. Your concern seems based on incomplete information at best.

The ITS is something that has already been in use for years; and it has progressed to the point of becoming a multi-jurisdictional tool by which traffic light controls can be achieved! This has absolutely NO CONNECTION to anything that is "an invasion of privacy," or anything that could lead to it.

I don't see any credible documentation of the claims re the privacy invasion you are making. I spent over half an hour searching for the info you referred me to on the sites provided in Avalee's first post, and I don't see it anywhere.

Traffic light control technology, using RFID, is in use in many major US cities; such as Las Angeles; and I would challenge anyone to show us clearly how this does, or could in the future, be used as some sort of grandiose, end time invasion of our privacy???

Avalee makes the claim that "we know that in the end none of us will have any privacy;" and I would also like to ask where that is found in the Bible, or in Ellen White's writings.

[ July 07, 2003, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: DavidTBattler ]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!