HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: ADHD #31469
04/03/01 01:59 AM
04/03/01 01:59 AM
L
lisa  Offline
gwinn mich U.S.A.
My son was misdiagnosed with adhd since kindergarden. I have to say I helped though. He resently was re-diagnosed. He has a severe nervious disorder allong with inherited depression. I feel so bad that he had to go on the wrong meds off and on for years. but now we are on the right track. the drs. said that if I had not the nutritional knowledge I do, he would have to be on a higher dose. lisa

Re: ADHD #31470
01/07/02 05:16 AM
01/07/02 05:16 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
All I know about ADHD is that I have a friend whose son was diagnosed with this disorder about 6 years ago, and he is almost 12 now. Something has helped him, I have often heard April say how different he is now. But, it wasn't all medication that helped,although he is still on it, there was much loving "family" support. April could not have done it all by herself, for, she is a single Mom, and has another younger child, a girl. But, she was so fortunate that her sitter and husband (as they had no children) gave her son the love and attention along with them learning all the skills to work with him that was thought would help. Also, her sitter's mom has acted as a grandparent, April had no biological family to turn to.

I have learned through all the pain through the last 12 years, that we may think we understand another's pain, and yes, even guilt feelings, when we feel we might have somehow done more. But, as Zyph has said, often it is too late. We would have done more, had we known what we know now, (at least, often, that is how it is, or, sometimes, as in the case of my son, I didn't know, and still don't know what would have helped.) We shouldn't even think we know how another feels, if we have not BEEN in their position, and, sometimes when we don't even mean it to be critical, it may come across that way.

It is SO much easier to feel we know the answers, when we are looking from the situation from a distance, rather than being in the middle of it, and having to deal with the pain every day.

In Christ's Love,

Dora

Re: ADHD #31471
01/09/02 03:46 AM
01/09/02 03:46 AM
K
Kay Sullivan  Offline
Posting New Member
Mt.Home NC
I don't know a whole lot about ADHD. Recently, I have been diagnosed with a similar disorder. I forgot what the Dr. called it but it has to do with brain waves misfiring, much like an electrical current in a thunderstorm which unbalances the brain chemcials.

The misfiring can lead to many symptoms. My symptoms were deep depression and flu like feelings. An overal sense of being sick physically and mentally. Lots of far off staring etc.

The Dr. tried all the antidepressents they have on the market. None of them worked.

Finally, the Dr. tried me on Neurontin (which is a sizure medication used for epileptics).

Within a few days the flu symptoms disappeared and the depression lifted.

As long as I am taking the medication I am fine. If I miss a dose then the symptoms return in a hurry.

Perhaps, if ADHD was diagnosed 40 years ago they would have had me on Ritalin. I don't know.

It seems to me that the school system likes to make all children who are not attentive diagnosed ADHD.

Has anyone ever heard of the "diagnosis" that I have. I wish I could remember the name the Dr. tagged on it.

Re: ADHD #31472
01/10/02 10:50 AM
01/10/02 10:50 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
There are two distinct forms of Attention Deficit Disorder. One includes hyperactivity, and is ADHD. The other one has as it's major symptom inattention and dreaminess. There is a LOT of ADD about - 10 percent of the population. I believe those figures, and I encounter lots of these people in my work. It is a devastating condition, and the lack of diagnosis, or belief in its existence causes a great deal of suffering for many people.

I don't think I've heard of your symptoms, Kay. The fluey thing throws me. But it's similar to ADD in that the electricals are firing improperly in your brain. I've seen my poor son all worked up when he was going out, talking a million miles an hour, and generally being loud and childish. He's become aware of himself, then felt on the verge of tears because he didn't know how to control it all. How disheartening. I'm not medicated, nor do I have a diagnosis, but I think I have symptoms of ADD, too. Not pleasant.

I'm glad you've found a solution to the worst of your symptoms.

Re: ADHD #31473
01/10/02 05:33 PM
01/10/02 05:33 PM
K
Kay Sullivan  Offline
Posting New Member
Mt.Home NC
zyph, thank you for responding to my portion of the discussion in this thread.

It wasn't until about 6 months ago that I started on the Neurontin. Before that, I was yacking a mile a minute, tears flowing for no reason; it was a nightmare.

I don't like to take any kind of "man's" medication but I thank God I am able to go about my daily business and spiritual walk with our Lord.

I often wonder what God thinks about all this medication thing. Aren't we supposed to depend upon Him for peace? I have come to the conclusion that if I don't take this medication then I will have lost my life and the Lord.

God bless all who come to this site and are able to be uplifted.

Re: ADHD #31474
01/10/02 09:50 PM
01/10/02 09:50 PM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
You know, Kay, I feel very wary about medication, too, particularly anything that alters our minds. And I will avoid all things that disorientate me - unless it's a side effect of something I need. Then I have to decide if it's worth it. I am on anti-inflammatories - Indocid - which make me sleepy sometimes (the effect varies sometimes). I can only take them at night, but it means I have a pain-free night, instead of waking up and having to take other pain-killers (which caused two stomach haemmorhages previously). It's not ideal, but I have no other options. I'm on blood pressure medication, which causes very mild confusion (lack of concentration when driving!!)- the stuff I was on originally had me roaming around unable to gather my thoughts for six weeks. But my sister had a brain haemmorhage, and I don't want to go down that path. I'll be on - wait for it - proton pump inhibitors for the rest of my life. I have dreadful gastric reflux, and I had ulcers in the past. I don't have the curable bacteria that causes ulcers, so that treatment is not an option. I'm a walking challenge! Most of mine is physical (except for suspect ADD stuff) and it sounds like most of yours is physical - only located in your brain. The drugs Ellen white referred to in her day were things like opium, which was freely give for minor things, and cocaine, which was in Coca-Cola. I believe a drug-free existence is best. But would you tell a diabetic to stop taking their injection of chemistry-altering hormones (insulin)? Of course not. This has been show to save lives. Anti-biotics save lives. There is a middle ground somewhere. Schizophrenics often do much better when medicated. Their medication is very potent and damaging sometimes. But the quality of their lives is enhanced.

By the sound of what you've said, your life has dramatically improved, and you are able to be closer to God. I think that speaks for itself, and on the basis of your capacity to approach God previously, you should be able to decide. Talk to Him about it, and until it is obvious that you are making your life bad by taking medication, enjoy all the good things that have come about as a consequence. God is good and kind, and He just wants the channels of communication to be open.

Now, I've opened up a can of worms with my confession of being a drug user. I hope no-one notices! lol

Re: ADHD #31475
01/10/02 10:18 PM
01/10/02 10:18 PM
K
Kay Sullivan  Offline
Posting New Member
Mt.Home NC
Hi zyph,
Thank you so much for your response. I would like to add that with all medications previously I would sleep most of the day and when I wasn't sleeping I was like a zombie. Those meds increased the depression and panic attacks so that I had come to the point of death.

Neurontin has no side affects for me. Not one. I am so happy that I have a life now. I am able to drive and do most things that I couldn't do before.

Praise God! I feel like singing. I'm on the other side of life now. (thats from a song I heard, lol)

Re: ADHD #31476
10/05/02 06:58 PM
10/05/02 06:58 PM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
Related to this theme is a book I have written about my own experience. Hyperactive behavior was an early symptom in my own case. My book can relate to many diagnoses, but shows mainly how I found God thru my sufferings and eventual complete recovery. [Smile] It is not a namby-pamby story, be warned. It's at this website, if any are serious about these matters: www.ashlinsart.com

Re: ADHD #31477
10/07/02 10:10 AM
10/07/02 10:10 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Restin, I have read only a few chapters of your book so far, but intend to read it all. I just want you to know I think you write beautifully and simply and this makes it quite powerful. I want to read your full story, and I thank you for allowing me (us) to do so. I may comment further.

One thing I want to say is that we should be very careful of what we say to others. We don't know their history or the pain and hurt they have been called to endure, and we can't judge anyone else by our own standards. Your story has reminded me of that.

Re: ADHD #31478
10/07/02 06:08 PM
10/07/02 06:08 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Restin,

I just want to let you know that I also read the first six chapters, and hope to read more. Not very many people open themselves up like that to others as you have done, and publically at that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!