HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What Does The Bible Say About Reverence? #32074
06/11/03 03:58 AM
06/11/03 03:58 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Our Sabbath School class discussion the other week was on reverence.

Last SAbbath our pastor preached a very heavy sermon on reverence.

What does the Bible actually say about reverence?

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Reverence? #32075
07/11/03 12:43 AM
07/11/03 12:43 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Hi Daryl,

Thought of this verse when I saw your question.

Psa 46:10 Be still, and know that I [am] God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

The word "reverence" has several meanings in the dictionary. The term that caught my eye was: profound adoring awed respect.

• profound - having intellectual depth and insight
  • adore - to regard with loving admiration and devotion
  • awe - to inspire with awe
  • respect - an act of giving particular attention

Praise the Lord for those that will be still to hear the "still small voice!"

Sr. Cheri

So perhaps we could term reverence as being still just like the Bible teaches!

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Reverence? #32076
07/11/03 04:45 PM
07/11/03 04:45 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
That's one good reference. [Smile]

Any other good ones?

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Reverence? #32077
07/16/03 04:57 AM
07/16/03 04:57 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
When we think of "reverence," I fear we are biased by the atmosphere in which we were raised. Psa 46:10, for instance was quoted above as a norm: "Be still, and know that I am God." But this psalm shows no evidence of any application to a worship service. If you go to psalms which present activities in the sanctuary such as Psalm 150, you find the use of trumpets, harp and lyre, tambourine and dancing, strings and flute, and the clash of symbols. This is NOT silence. This is joyous praise.

Most of the important meetings in Old Testament times involved feasts--eating and drinking and making merry (praising God). Sometimes for seven full days (or perhaps eight, see Lev 23:36). We don't know much about the New Testament synagogue services, but we do know that Jesus interrupted at least one service in Nazareth where He got the people so riled up that they drove him out of town (Luke 4:16-30) and that Paul stirred up quite a ruckus at the synagogue in Corinth (Acts 18:4-7).

Perhaps as Daryl implies, it's time we restudy just what God does want in our worship. I might suggest a good starting point would be John 15:15 where Jesus says "I no longer call you servants. ... Instead, I have called you friends." As friends of Jesus or brothers of Jesus (Heb 2:11) or sons of God (Heb 12:5-7), our reverence for Them should take a different perspective than when we thought of ourselves as servants.

Bob Lee

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Reverence? #32078
07/22/03 11:31 AM
07/22/03 11:31 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
HOW SHALL WE WORSHIP?

What instructions are given to us regarding the manner of worshiping our Lord?

• Heb 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
  • 1Pe 1:15-16 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; (16) Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
  • Exo 19:10 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes,

Along with having a correct state of mind and action as we come before our God, what else is necessary?
  • Exo 19:14 And Moses went down from the mount unto the people, and sanctified the people; and they washed their clothes.

Can you come before God in any manner that you would like?
  • Psa 29:1-2 A Psalm of David. Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty, give unto the LORD glory and strength. (2) Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
  • Isa 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name [is] Holy; I dwell in the high and holy [place], with him also [that is] of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
  • Psa 138:1-3 [A Psalm] of David. I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee. (2) I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name. (3) In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, [and] strengthenedst me [with] strength in my soul.
  • Psa 138:7-8 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me. (8) The LORD will perfect [that which] concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, [endureth] for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.

We are in the antitypical day of atonement where our great High Priest is placing judgment on the worthy. This is a most solemn occasion. Christ is patiently waiting for His people to wake up out of their slumber, He is calling them out of Babylon, and standing at the door knocking.

Now when we are before the Lord, it is difficult to contain our praises of rejoicing that He is our blessed assurance. But we are not in a time of feasting, the day of atonement is about asking forgiveness, and conversion. So all things must be done in an orderly fashion and with great thanks giving.

God bless,
Sr. Cheri

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!