HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Worship & Clothing #33472
07/30/00 06:05 PM
07/30/00 06:05 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The poor often feel like outcasts because their clothing is not as good as that of the other worshipers. They don't have all the finery to put on that others can afford. But should those who can, appear in such finery?

quote:
Many will not attend the service of God upon the Sabbath because their dress would appear so unlike that of their Christian sisters in style and adornment. Will my sisters consider these things as they are, and will they fully realize the weight of their influence upon others? By walking in a forbidden path themselves, they lead others in the same way of disobedience and backsliding. Christian simplicity is sacrificed to outward display. My sisters, how shall we change this? How shall we recover ourselves from the snare of Satan and break the chains that have bound us in slavery to fashion? How shall we recover wasted opportunities? how bring our powers into healthful, vigorous action? There is only one way, and that is to make the Bible our rule of life. All should work earnestly to do good to others, watch unto prayer, take up the long-neglected cross, and heed the warnings and injunctions of Him who has said: "Whosoever will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

My Christian sisters, face the mirror, the law of God, and test your course of action by the first four commandments. These explicitly define your duty to God. He claims the undivided affections; and anything which tends to absorb the mind and divert it from God assumes the form of an idol. The true and living God is crowded out of the thoughts and heart, and the soul-temple is defiled by the worship of other gods before the Lord. "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me," says the commandment. Let us search the heart, compare the life and character with the statutes and precepts of Jehovah, and then seek diligently to correct our errors. (4T 631-2).

A greater uniformity in dress would be pleasing to God. Those who expend means on costly apparel and extra fixings, can by a little self-denial exemplify pure religion, by simplicity of clothing, and then use the means they have usually expended needlessly in aiding some poor brother or sister, whom God loves, to obtain neat and modest apparel. (2SM 475:0).

All should be taught to be neat, clean, and orderly in their dress, but not to indulge in that external adorning which is wholly inappropriate for the sanctuary. There should be no display of the apparel; for this encourages irreverence. The attention of the people is often called to this or that fine article of dress, and thus thoughts are intruded that should have no place in the hearts of the worshipers. God is to be the subject of thought, the object of worship; and anything that attracts the mind from the solemn, sacred service is an offense to Him. The parading of bows and ribbons, ruffles and feathers, and gold and silver ornaments is a species of idolatry and is wholly inappropriate for the sacred service of God, where the eye of every worshiper should be single to His glory. All matters of dress should be strictly guarded, following closely the Bible rule. Fashion has been the goddess who has ruled the outside world, and she often insinuates herself into the church. The church should make the word of God her standard, and parents should think intelligently upon this subject. When they see their children inclined to follow worldly fashions, they should, like Abraham, resolutely command their households after them. Instead of uniting them with the world, connect them with God. Let none dishonor God's sanctuary by their showy apparel. God and angels are there. (5T 499:1).

The house of God is profaned by the dress of professedly Christian women of today. A fantastic dress, a display of gold chains and gaudy laces, is a certain indication of a weak head and a proud heart. (RH 3/20/1958).

Linda

Re: Worship & Clothing #33473
07/30/00 06:07 PM
07/30/00 06:07 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Friday is the preparation day for the Sabbath and all should be made ready on that day.

quote:
See that all the clothing is in readiness and that all the cooking is done. Let the boots be blacked and the baths taken. It is possible to do this. If you make it a rule you can do it. The Sabbath is not to be given to the repairing of garments, to the cooking of food, to pleasure seeking, or to any other worldly employment. (6T 355:3).

When we arise to prepare for church on Sabbath morning our thoughts do not need to be on our dress; but upon holy and sacred things. When everything has been made ready the day before, our minds are free to receive God's Sabbath blessing. What we wear on the Sabbath, as well as what we say and do, may decide whether we are in a reverent attitude and thereby ready to receive the blessings God has in store.

Especially have I been shown that those who profess truth should have a special care to appear before God upon the Sabbath in a manner which would show that we respect the Creator who has sanctified and placed special honors upon the day. All who have any regard for the Sabbath should be cleanly in person, neat and orderly in dress; for they are to appear before the jealous God, who is offended at uncleanness and disorder, and who marks every token of disrespect. (1T 275:2).

Christians are elevated in their conversation; and although they believe it to be sin to condescend to foolish flattery, they are courteous, kind, and benevolent. Their words are those of sincerity and truth. They are faithful in their deal with their brethren and with the world. In their dress they avoid superfluity and display; but their clothing will be neat, not gaudy, modest, and arranged upon the person with order and taste. Special care will be taken to dress in a manner that will show a sacred regard for the holy Sabbath and the worship of God. (MYP 349:2).

Dress should not consume large amounts of time and energy. There is a work to do for ourselves and for God.

quote:
Sisters, we may do a noble work for God if we will. Woman does not know her power. God did not intend that her capabilities should be all absorbed in questioning: What shall I eat? what shall I drink? and wherewithal shall I be clothed? There is a higher purpose for woman, a grander destiny. She should develop and cultivate her powers, for God can employ them in the great work of saving souls from eternal ruin. (4T 642:2).

O! let me stand on the platform of eternal truth. Give me immortal worth. Let me grasp the golden chain that is let down from heaven to earth, and let it draw me up to God and glory. This is my ambition; this is my aim. If others have no higher object than dress, if they can delight in outward display and satisfy their souls with bows and ribbons and fantastic things, let them enjoy these. But let me have the inward adorning. Let me be clothed with that meek and quiet spirit which is in the sight of God of great price. And I recommend it to you, young gentlemen and ladies, for it is more precious in His sight than the gold of Ophir. It is this which makes a man more precious than fine gold, even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir. My sisters, and you young people, it will make you more precious in the sight of Heaven than fine gold, yea, than the golden wedge of Ophir. I recommend to you Jesus, my blessed Saviour. I adore Him; I magnify Him. Oh, that I had an immortal tongue, that I could praise Him as I desire! that I could stand before the assembled universe and speak in praise of His matchless charms! (2T 593:1).

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited July 30, 2000).]

Re: Worship & Clothing #33474
07/30/00 10:44 PM
07/30/00 10:44 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Sorry.
I have been castigated about my apparell in the past, so i go on the defensive real quick.

Some habits die slow.

I agree, our appearence should be neat, clean, orderly and simple.
I feel like I'm in a fashion show at some churches I go to, and it is a bit embarassing to be wearing something rthat appears to cause some to look down their long noses.

------------------
Is what you're living for worth Christ dying for?

Gerry B.

Re: Worship & Clothing #33475
08/01/00 09:21 PM
08/01/00 09:21 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Glad you hung in there Gerry. Church isn't supposed to be a fashion show.
There is information about what ministers should wear and how they should teach proper dress to the church. I remember a young minister I knew as a teen who wore a bright pink sport coat, maroon trousers, and a pink shirt and tie. Can you imagine what kind of impression he made? Thirty years later I can't remember his name but I can still picture him dressed in pink!

quote:
Our ministers and their wives should be an example in plainness of dress; they should dress neatly, comfortably, wearing good material, but avoiding anything like extravagance and trimmings, even if not expensive; for these things tell to our disadvantage. We should educate the youth to simplicity of dress, plainness with neatness. Let the extra trimmings be left out, even though the cost be but a trifle. (TM 180:2).

When a minister stands in the pulpit, when he visits from house to house, when he gives Bible studies, or visits the sick, his clothing should be such as to cause others to have respect for his office. "Carefulness in dress is an important consideration. The minister should be clothed in a manner befitting the dignity of his position." (GW 173:1). Precise details from the pen of Sister White tell us how the minister should appear.

quote:
Black or dark material is more becoming to a minister in the desk and will make a better impression upon the people than would be made by a combination of two or three different colors in his apparel. (2T 610).

The dress of some has been untidy. Not only has there been a lack of taste and order in arranging the dress in a becoming manner upon the person, and in having the color suitable and becoming for a minister of Christ, but the apparel of some has been even slovenly. Some ministers wear a vest of a light color, while their pants are dark, or a dark vest and light pants, with no taste or orderly arrangement of the dress upon the person when they come before the people. (2T 610).

Ministers sometimes stand in the desk with their hair in disorder, looking as if it had been untouched by comb and brush for a week. God is dishonored when those who engage in His sacred service are so neglectful of their appearance. (2T 613).

Some who minister in sacred things so arrange their dress upon their persons that, to some extent at least, it destroys the influence of their labor. There is an apparent lack of taste in color and neatness of fit. (2T 614).

In some cases not only has there been a lack of taste and of orderly arrangement in the dress, but the clothing has been untidy and slovenly. (GW 173:1).

His dress should be in harmony with the character of the work he is doing. Let ministers and teachers strive to reach the standard set forth in the Scriptures. Let them not neglect the little things, which are often looked upon as of no moment. Neglect of little things often leads to neglect of larger responsibilities. (GW 145:1)

------------------

Hon. You double posted I deleted the redundent post. Hubby (Ed)

[This message has been edited by Edward F. Sutton (edited August 01, 2000).]

Re: Worship & Clothing #33476
08/05/00 03:24 AM
08/05/00 03:24 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The minister stands between the living and the dead. His work, his actions, words, and dress, are a savor of life unto life or of death unto death. "The God of heaven, whose arm moves the world, who gives us life and sustains us in health, is honored or dishonored by the apparel of those who officiate in His honor." (GW 173:2).

quote:
A minister who is negligent in his apparel often wounds those of good taste and refined sensibilities. Those who are faulty in this respect should correct their errors and be more circumspect. The loss of some souls at last will be traced to the untidiness of the minister. The first appearance affected the people unfavorably because they could not in any way link his appearance with the truths he presented. His dress was against him; and the impression given was that the people whom he represented were a careless set who cared nothing about their dress, and his hearers did not want anything to do with such a class of people. (2T 613:1).

From the light I have had, the ministry is a sacred and exalted office, and those who accept this position should have Christ in their hearts and manifest an earnest desire to represent Him worthily before the people in all their acts, in their dress, in their speaking, and even in their manner of speaking. (2T 615:1).

Ministers, like colporteurs, need to dress in a conservative manner, not with not in a flamboyant and ritzy manner. Bright, loud colors and large prints are as unbecoming on a man, and especially a minister in the pulpit, as they are on the women. Even the pastel sport coats that are so popular are not in harmony with the Spirit of Prophecy's counsel to the ministers to wear dark clothing. Little counsel is given in respect to the clothing worn by the minister when he is not actively performing his duties in and out of the pulpit, but, as for all others, the garments should be modest, neat, and appropriate for the occasion.

quote:
Ministers should possess refinement. They should discard all uncouth manners, attitudes, and gestures, and should encourage in themselves humble dignity of their position. They should be clothed in a manner befitting the dignity of their position. (1T 648:2).

------------------

Re: Worship & Clothing #33477
08/05/00 03:25 AM
08/05/00 03:25 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The minister must set a good example in his dress; he must also be sure that the church and all new converts to the truth are properly instructed in proper dress according to the scriptures.

quote:
Fashion is deteriorating the intellect and eating out the spirituality of our people. Obedience to fashion is pervading our Seventh-day Adventist churches and is doing more than any other power to separate our people from God. I have been shown that our church rules are very deficient. All exhibitions of pride in dress, which is forbidden in the word of God, should be sufficient reason for church discipline. If there is a continuance, in face of warnings and appeals and entreaties, to still follow the perverse will, it may be regarded as proof that the heart is in no way assimilated to Christ. Self, and only self, is the object of adoration, and one such professed Christian will lead many away from God.

There is a terrible sin upon us as a people, that we have permitted our church members to dress in a manner inconsistent with their faith. We must arise at once and close the door against the allurements of fashion. Unless we do this, our churches will be demoralized. (4T 647-8).

In the minds of many there are no more sacred thoughts connected with the house of God than with the most common place. Some will enter the place of worship with their hats on, in soiled, dirty clothes. Such do not realize that they are to meet with God and holy angels. There should be a radical change in this matter all through our churches. Ministers themselves need to elevate their ideas, to have finer susceptibilities in regard to it. It is a feature of the work that has been sadly neglected. (5T 498-9).

There should be no carelessness in dress. Teach the young converts that dress is a talent. For Christ's sake, whose property we are, we should seek to make the best of our appearance. (6MR 55:1 emphasis supplied).

------------------

Re: Worship & Clothing #33478
08/05/00 09:30 PM
08/05/00 09:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about my ministerial collegues in the big city who wear elaborate vestments?

Does gold and scarlet "robes a-flowing" have any place in an Adventist pulpit?

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

Re: Worship & Clothing #33479
08/06/00 08:13 AM
08/06/00 08:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

If that wasn't his choir robe, is he trying to assume pontifical preportions?

He will need a crosier, miter, and Bernenni columned alter to do the job right.

Tell him get off the fence, go one way or the other. Do it right or not at all.

If he's going to put on a show don't be rinky dink, go all out & hire Industrial Light and Magic & George Lucas as consultant. Copy Imax and rock their world .

If He's going to follow Jesus as an under-shepherd instead of an overlord, also go all out.

Walk & dress & live in the manner of the teachings that come from Jesus in the Bible & SOP . Oh yes shock the congregation by calling sin, sin and call for revival & reformation.

Get deep into practical Godliness and doctrines for the judgement hour; and teach from the pulpit & in the homes how to unify and win souls with and for Jesus. Teach the local Church how & why to promulgate Gospel order both to cleanse and nurture and protect.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Re: Worship & Clothing #33480
08/06/00 11:07 PM
08/06/00 11:07 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry Buck:
I wear the best I have, and if anyone has a problem with it, they can buy me something different.

I just re-read Brother Gerry's post and want say that I believe the Lord is happy over the fact that Brother Gerry is wearing the best he has. That is all the Lord expects and accepts of us.

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl Fawcett :)

Re: Worship & Clothing #33481
08/06/00 11:12 PM
08/06/00 11:12 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What about the choir robes?

Why do we question a minister's robes and not the choir robes?

A robe is a robe, is it not?

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl Fawcett :)

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!