HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia #41256
09/04/00 11:34 PM
09/04/00 11:34 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

OK.
Galations 6:14 "But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world"

This, of course, seems to only have one obvious answer - that red symbolizes the blood of Christ, shed upon the cross and the Angel of the Lord sitting upon the horse can only be Christ leading the final charge against Satan. . . right?
(Please note that I use the term "Angel of the Lord loosely, because in my Daniel studies in Sabbath School we learned that Jesus is the Prince of the Angels, and would then be the Angel of the Lord, as opposed to an angel of the Lord).

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Reply Quote
Re: Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia #41257
09/05/00 05:20 AM
09/05/00 05:20 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Amen Sarah!

I will be posting some good study notes soon on this!

------------------
"The joy of the Lord will be your strength." (Neh.8:10).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Reply Quote
Re: Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia #41258
10/09/00 04:50 AM
10/09/00 04:50 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Hello Brothers and Sisters

I have a few more thoughts on the book of Zechariah. It is so amazing how Christ is revealed in all the Scriptures - when you look for Him. May God add His blessing to the reading of His Word...

Zech.1: 8-13

“Myrtle Trees: A well known and beautiful evergreen shrub, with white flowers, berries which are at first white, and then turn bluish-black. They are edible, though rather too astringent for most Western palates.” (Unger’s Bible Dictionary, pg.1140).

“Myrtle: The snow-white flowers are bordered with purple, and an aromatic fruit, from which perfumes are made. In poor soil; it may be little more than a scraggly shrub, but it can attain a height of 20-30 feet under ideal conditions.

Myrtle branches were used to build booths for the Feast Of The Tabernacles, in post-exilic Jerusalem...(see Neh.8:15). It grows on nearby hills, and is now known in all countries bordering the Mediteranean Sea.

The Myrtle of Scripture is a symbol of God’s generosity, and of peace and joy. (Isa.41:19, 55:13).

A grove of Myrtle trees is the setting for a vision of Zecharia. (Zech. 1:8-11).

Zecharia had a total of 8 visions. Chapter one covers only the first two of these 8:

1) The horse men: 1:7-17: reveals God’s plans for Israel at a standstill. The heathen nations of the earth are “at ease,” but God announces His purpose to restore the temple as His house, and to choose Jerusalem, as the agency through which His purpose of the salvation of all people shall be accomplished.

2) The four horns, and four carpenters: 1:18-21 Pictures for us the damage that Israel has suffered collectively as a nation, because of their captivity, and proclaims God’s intention to repair all the damage that has been done to them.

P.K. 580: “Two months after Haggai’s last recorded message was delivered, Zecharia had a series of visions regarding the work of God in the earth. These messages were given in the form of parables and symbols, coming at a time of great uncertainty and anxiety; and were of peculiar significance to the men who were advancing in the name of the God of Israel.

It seemed to the leaders as if the permission granted to the Jews to rebuild was about to be withdrawn; the future appeared very dark. God saw that the people were in need of being sustained and cheered by a revelation of His infinite compassion and love.”

The myrtle trees were a very common and familiar thing in the days of Zech., and since this is a very Messianic book, with Christ as the very heart and center of it; we see Christ, with all His earnest appeals to His demoralized people; and His longing to be with them, and restore them...

Wouldn’t it seem natural, as well as consistent, that Jesus would want to be among His people, just as He was among the myrtle trees? (In the endtimes, Jesus is the same. His desire is to be among His people, in His church: Rev.1:12-15, 20).

What does this picture of Jesus in the myrtle trees tell you about Him? It tells me that he is not someone who absents Himself, when I have done wrong; and when I am down; but rather, Jesus stands up for His discouraged people, and comes to be with me in sympathy and solidarity.

As a result of Christ’s presence among His people, many blessings are bestowed. (See Zech.1:13-17). He gives them His comfort, His love, His defense, His compassion, His prosperity, , and His restoration.

Oh! How I love Jesus!

------------------
"We are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets; Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone!" (Eph.2:20).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Reply Quote
Re: Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia #41259
11/19/00 08:23 AM
11/19/00 08:23 AM
Q
Qranc  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Langley, BC, CDA
Great topic. I can't wait till you get to chapter 14.

Blessings,
Qranc

Reply Quote
Re: Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia #41260
11/20/00 04:16 AM
11/20/00 04:16 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Hello Qranc

Thanks for dropping in on us.! Your opinions and questions are always welcome too. I agree. This is an interesting topic. I too, can't wait till I get to chapter 14. I have been slow coming out with the next study; but look for it sometime this week!

------------------
"We are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets; Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone!" (Eph.2:20).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Reply Quote
Re: Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia #41261
11/22/00 07:55 AM
11/22/00 07:55 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Profiles Of Jesus In The Book Of Zecharia: Part 5

“…Look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.” (Luke 21:28).

What an exciting experience as we focus our attention on Christ, and follow the example of the prophet Zecharia. No matter what he was in the middle of; the young prophet was always aware of God’s presence, as evidenced by his looking up.

How aware are we, of our Creator, during the course of our daily lives?

Zecharia frequently stopped whatever he was doing, to lift up his eyes, and commune with God. To Zecharia, his calling was important; but his God was more important. He was not so caught up in his “daily grind,” that he missed out on victory in Christ; and he wasn’t so caught up the work of the Lord, that he missed out on the Lord of the work.

This has been and is a universal spiritual hazard among the people of God; it was the problem of the religious leaders of Christ’s time; but it is important to note that the hapless rabbis did not hold a monopoly on this spiritual problem. Even Christ’s disciples had this plague, and so does the church of today. Under one guise or another; Christians have a lot of trouble just “looking up;” and being aware of God’s presence in their daily grind.

“In the estimation of the rabbis, it was the sum of [their] religion to be always in a bustle of activity...The same danger still exists. As activity increases, and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is the danger of trusting to human plans and methods. There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith. Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a saviour of our activity. We need to look constantly to Jesus; realizing that it is His power which does the work.” (DA 362).

Let us join Zecharia in the experience of seeing visions of our Lord, let us see some more of the portraits of Christ in this exciting book of the Bible.

If you study the first six chapters of Zecharia; you would soon see that it was a habit or a custom of the prophet, to look up and see a vision of God, and get some kind of revelation from Him. These chapters contain four examples of Zecharia doing this: 1:18, 2:1, 5:1, and 6:1.

In the first two examples; Zecharia states: “And I lifted mine eyes and saw;” and in the second two he said of his experience: “Again; I lifted mine eyes and saw...”

What spiritual significance does Zechariah’s lifting up of his eyes, again and again have for God’s church today?

First of all, it tells us that the prophet does not project himself to us as someone who faces his challenges alone, or who sweats over his problems, without reaching beyond himself to God.

In a very similar way, everyone in the church has their own share of problems and challenges that we must face. But, long before we become stressed out and overburdened with them; we need to discipline ourselves over and over again to take these things to Christ, and try to see them from His perspective. It is quite likely that our troubles won’t really disappear; but Christ wants to make an appearance, and face these challenges with us. Before we become over-taxed trying to handle our problems down here; on our own; we must train ourselves to be instinctively lifting our eyes, and looking up to God.

I know for myself; I am often aware of the natural realm of things; but it is too rare that I am even half as much aware of the supernatural around me. Elisha was a man who was acutely aware of the unseen events surrounding him and his young assistant, as we see by his prayer in
2 Kings 6:17: “O Lord, I pray Thee; open his eyes that he may see.”

I found it very interesting that in Zech 5:1 and 6:1 the word “again” is used to precede “looking up.” What is God saying to His church by this word again?

The word “again” as used in Zech. 5:1, and 6:1 stands for the fact that God’s people need to have a pattern and some consistency in their communion with God. The prophet Zecharia did not lift up his eyes once; but “again,” meaning repeatedly. One experience is not enough. We have to look to Jesus again and again. Why else would He need to be in the sanctuary now if that wasn’t the case? (Heb.7:25). In order to renew and restore our spiritual strength; we need to look again and again to Jesus. Throughout the Bible, we are told in many ways that it is essential to have a continual, or ongoing spiritual experience, through our relationship with God.

For some brief examples:

1) Pray without ceasing – 1 Thes.5:17
2) Die daily to self; and live for Christ – 1 Cor.15:31
3) Take up our cross daily and follow Christ – Luke 9:23
4) Delight ourselves with the Law of God – reflect on it day and night – Ps.1:2
5) Search God’s Word daily – Acts 17:11

I found it to be very interesting that the word “turned” is also used in Zech. 5:1 and 6:1, in connection with looking up to God. “Turned” is a verb meaning “to stop” or “change direction,” or to “interupt what is being done; and think about doing something different.” So when we look a little closer at these 4 passages in Zech., we can see a definite progression or sequence of actions:

1) He turned
2) Lifted up his eyes
3) Looked
4) Beheld a vision

While Zecharia went about his regular daily toil of leading the returned exiles in rebuilding the ruins of the Temple and Jerusalem; he never lost sight of God’s presence. Zecharia was always ready to interupt his activities, no matter how important they were, and lift up his eyes to God; and listen to Him.

This looking up was his secret to spiritual victory; and today’s christians must also depend on this “secret.” They must continually look up to the Source of their redemption.

I know that with myself, if things seem to be going fairly well at the time, I find it very easy to “look up.” But when things start to get really difficult, or tragic, my faith becomes a bit precarious, looking up loses it’s value, and I settle into discouragement. I tend to look horizontally, rather than perpendicularly…During the really tough times; I can be found looking at myself and/or others; and depending on complaing and critisizing to pull me through! Imagine! Instead of looking up to Christ…deliberately choosing to cast Him aside in favour of bitternes and fault-finding?

So we have an prophet of old, looking up to God; and seeing a vision of Him, and we are reminded of Proverbs 29:18: “Where there is no vision, the people perish.” The NIV Bible actually uses the word “revelation,” instead of “vision.” “We are to look away from self to Jesus.” (MH 249).

Many people are willing to acknowledge Jesus as Lord when they look into His temple, and see Him there. (at church). “Many were ready to call Him Lord, when He wrought miracles; after He had risen from the grave; but none acknowledged Him as He hung, dying on the cross, to save the penitent thief, who was saved at the eleventh hour.” (DA 750).

Zecharia offers God’s church a pattern to follow when they are not at church, when the spouse is yelling, when the kids are cavorting, when the job is gone, when the health disappears, when tragedy strikes.

And the Bible says of all these thing: “Choose ye this day whom ye will serve,” and where you will look.

Next, post, we will look at the subject of repentance as portrayed in the book of Zecharia.

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Reply Quote
Re: Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia #41262
12/30/00 03:59 AM
12/30/00 03:59 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

In what ways can we as a collective church "look up?"

How do we as individual Christians practice God's presence by "looking up?"

What is it that we do when we "look up" today, in the year 2000/2001?

Reply Quote
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!