HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
Re: The Gospel According To John #41351
08/15/02 01:57 AM
08/15/02 01:57 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think it is time to move on and look at the next few verses:

quote:

John 1:22 They said to him then, "Who are you? Let us have an answer for those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"
23 He said, "I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, 'Make straight the way of the Lord,' as the prophet Isaiah said."

John the Baptist told them who he was by quoting from the prophet Isaiah:

quote:

Isaiah 40:3 A voice cries: "In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain.
5 And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

Did they understand what he said?

Let us read the next few verses of John.

quote:

John 1:24 Now they had been sent from the Pharisees.
25 They asked him, "Then why are you baptizing, if you are neither the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the prophet?"

If they understood what John said, then why did they say what they said in verse 25?

[ August 14, 2002, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41352
08/20/02 01:06 AM
08/20/02 01:06 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
"Then why are you baptizing?"

In other words, "Then what right do you have to baptize anybody?

They were challenging his right or authority to baptize.

John the Baptist's reply:

quote:

John 1:26 John answered them, "I baptize with water; but among you stands one whom you do not know,
27 even he who comes after me, the thong of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie."

Did John the Baptist answer their question?

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41353
08/20/02 01:21 PM
08/20/02 01:21 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
John was doing his job and he tossed their question aside and showed his mission, and announced the Messiah.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41354
09/29/02 01:33 PM
09/29/02 01:33 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I would say that John answered them to his satisfaction, if not to their satisfaction.

Now on to the next two verses:

quote:

John 1:28 These things were done in Bethabara beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing.
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

What did John mean by that which I bolded in verse 29?

Did John the Baptist understand the purpose of Christ's first coming?

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41355
10/29/02 03:44 PM
10/29/02 03:44 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
A lamb takeing away sin, is refering to a sanctuary service. That service being confessing upon that lamb & slaying it so the priest catches the life blood and mediates before the alter and makes vicarious atonement for the sinner - prefiguring the coming Christ, who would Himself offer Himself instead of a lamb & Himself as priest make atonement & mediate a seal for the repentant sinner via His actual merits.

Prefiguring what was done during the time of the yearly blotting out of sins & sealing - He would literally blot out the sins & seal the person. The blotting out of sins / sealing - prefigured by the focusing of the daily / year long progression of sins into the sanvtuary via blood culminated in the time of judgement / sealing / blotting out of sins by the lamb of God & High Priest of God accomplishing atonement within & for the sinner.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41356
11/07/02 02:37 AM
11/07/02 02:37 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you, Ed. [Thank You]

What, though, is the sin of the world referring to here that Christ, the Lamb of God, takes away?

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41357
01/23/03 03:44 PM
01/23/03 03:44 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
John 1:29 The next day <1887> John <2491> seeth <991> (5719) Jesus <2424> coming <2064> (5740) unto <4314> him <846>, and <2532> saith <3004> (5719), Behold <2396> the Lamb <286> of God <2316>, which <3588> taketh away <142> (5723) the sin <266> of the world <2889>.
266 amartia hamartia ham-ar-tee’-ah

from 264; TDNT-1:267,44; n f

AV-sin 172, sinful 1, offense 1; 174

1) equivalent to 264
1a) to be without a share in
1b) to miss the mark
1c) to err, be mistaken
1d) to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honour, to do or go wrong
1e) to wander from the law of God, violate God’s law, sin
2) that which is done wrong, sin, an offence, a violation of the divine law in thought or in act
3) collectively, the complex or aggregate of sins committed either by a single person or by many

For Synonyms see entry 5879

266. amartia hamartia ham-ar-tee’-ah; from 264; a sin (properly abstract):—offence, sin(-ful).

Word search - <266> = 151 Bible Texts

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins <266>.
Matthew 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins <266>.
Matthew 9:2 And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins <266> be forgiven thee.
Matthew 9:5 For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins <266> be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?
Matthew 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins <266>, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.
Matthew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin <266> and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins <266>.
Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins <266>.
Mark 1:5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins <266>.
Mark 2:5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins <266> be forgiven thee.
Mark 2:7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins <266> but God only?
Mark 2:9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins <266> be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?
Mark 2:10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins <266>, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)
Luke 1:77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins <266>,
Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins <266>;
Luke 5:20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins <266> are forgiven thee.
Luke 5:21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins <266>, but God alone?
Luke 5:23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins <266> be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?
Luke 5:24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins <266>, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.
Luke 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins <266>, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
Luke 7:48 And he said unto her, Thy sins <266> are forgiven.
Luke 7:49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins <266> also?
Luke 11:4 And forgive us our sins <266>; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins <266> should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin <266> of the world.
John 8:21 Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins <266>: whither I go, ye cannot come.
John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins <266>: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins <266>.
John 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin <266> is the servant of sin <266>.
John 8:46 Which of you convinceth me of sin <266>? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
John 9:34 They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins <266>, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.
John 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin <266>: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin <266> remaineth.
John 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin <266>: but now they have no cloke for their sin <266>.
John 15:24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin <266>: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin <266>, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
John 16:9 Of sin <266>, because they believe not on me;
John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin <266>.
John 20:23 Whose soever sins <266> ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins <266>, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins <266> may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Acts 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins <266>.
Acts 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin <266> to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.
Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins <266>.
Acts 13:38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins <266>:
Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins <266>, calling on the name of the Lord.
Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins <266>, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Romans 3:9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin <266>;
Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin <266>.
Romans 4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins <266> are covered.
Romans 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin <266>.
Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin <266> entered into the world, and death by sin <266>; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Romans 5:13 (For until the law sin <266> was in the world: but sin <266> is not imputed when there is no law.
Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin <266> abounded, grace did much more abound:
Romans 5:21 That as sin <266> hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin <266>, that grace may abound?
Romans 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin <266>, live any longer therein?
Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin <266> might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin <266>.
Romans 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin <266>.
Romans 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin <266> once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin <266>, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 6:12 Let not sin <266> therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin <266>: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
Romans 6:14 For sin <266> shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin <266> unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin <266>, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Romans 6:18 Being then made free from sin <266>, ye became the servants of righteousness.
Romans 6:20 For when ye were the servants of sin <266>, ye were free from righteousness.
Romans 6:22 But now being made free from sin <266>, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin <266> is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins <266>, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin <266>? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin <266>, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Romans 7:8 But sin <266>, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin <266> was dead.
Romans 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin <266> revived, and I died.
Romans 7:11 For sin <266>, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Romans 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin <266>, that it might appear sin <266>, working death in me by that which is good; that sin <266> by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin <266>.
Romans 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin <266> that dwelleth in me.
Romans 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin <266> that dwelleth in me.
Romans 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin <266> which is in my members.
Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin <266>.
Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin <266> and death.
Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful <266> flesh, and for sin <266>, condemned sin <266> in the flesh:
Romans 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin <266>; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Romans 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins <266>.
Romans 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin <266>.
1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins <266> according to the scriptures;
1 Corinthians 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins <266>.
1 Corinthians 15:56 The sting of death is sin <266>; and the strength of sin <266> is the law.
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin <266> for us, who knew no sin <266>; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
2 Corinthians 11:7 Have I committed an offence <266> in abasing myself that ye might be exalted, because I have preached to you the gospel of God freely?
Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins <266>, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
Galatians 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin <266>? God forbid.
Galatians 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin <266>, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins <266>;
Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins <266>:
Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins <266> of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
1 Thessalonians 2:16 Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins <266> alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.
2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin <266> be revealed, the son of perdition;
1 Timothy 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s sins <266>: keep thyself pure.
1 Timothy 5:24 Some men’s sins <266> are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men they follow after.
2 Timothy 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins <266>, led away with divers lusts,
Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins <266>, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Hebrews 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins <266> of the people.
Hebrews 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin <266>.
Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin <266>.
Hebrews 5:1 For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins <266>:
Hebrews 5:3 And by reason hereof he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins <266>.
Hebrews 7:27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins <266>, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
Hebrews 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins <266> and their iniquities will I remember no more.
Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin <266> by the sacrifice of himself.
Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins <266> of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin <266> unto salvation.
Hebrews 10:2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins <266>.
Hebrews 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins <266> every year.
Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins <266>.
Hebrews 10:6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin <266> thou hast had no pleasure.
Hebrews 10:8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin <266> thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
Hebrews 10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins <266>:
Hebrews 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins <266> for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Hebrews 10:17 And their sins <266> and iniquities will I remember no more.
Hebrews 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin <266>.
Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins <266>,
Hebrews 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin <266> for a season;
Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin <266> which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Hebrews 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin <266>.
Hebrews 13:11 For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin <266>, are burned without the camp.
James 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin <266>: and sin <266>, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
James 2:9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin <266>, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin <266>.
James 5:15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins <266>, they shall be forgiven him.
James 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins <266>.
1 Peter 2:22 Who did no sin <266>, neither was guile found in his mouth:
1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins <266> in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins <266>, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins <266>, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin <266>;
1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins <266>.
2 Peter 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins <266>.
2 Peter 2:14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin <266>; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin <266>.
1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin <266>, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins <266>, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins <266>, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins <266>: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
1 John 2:12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins <266> are forgiven you for his name’s sake.
1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin <266> transgresseth also the law: for sin <266> is the transgression of the law.
1 John 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins <266>; and in him is no sin <266>.
1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin <266> is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin <266>; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1 John 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins <266>.
1 John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin <266> which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin <266> unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
1 John 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin <266>: and there is a sin <266> not unto death.
Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins <266> in his own blood,
Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins <266>, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Revelation 18:5 For her sins <266> have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

The answer: RE the sin of the world: ALL HER SINS. If she will surrender them to Him while there is yet time before He throws down His censer.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41358
01/24/03 04:30 AM
01/24/03 04:30 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Then the sin of the world is not referring to one or any particular sin, but all the sins of the world?

In other words the word sin should really have been written in this verse as sins?

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41359
02/16/03 12:48 AM
02/16/03 12:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Daryl & Ed

The original language context here, seems to support the concept of "sin" in a collective sense, similar to the text in Deut. where it says: "The Lord our God; He is one God." There, as in this use of the word "sin," the word "one," is definitely intended to be in a collective context.

But, let us say that yes. Sin, as used in the above, is indeed meant to be a collective description, as in "sin of the world."

Would the word "sins" contradict any Bible truth, if we were to replace "sin" with "sins?"

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41360
02/16/03 03:58 PM
02/16/03 03:58 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I like and am inclined to agree with what I read in the SDA Bible Commentary.

quote:

By the singular form of the word John places emphasis on sin as a principle, rather than on particular sins. (see 1 John 2:2; 3:5; 4:10).

In other words, Christ came as the Lamb of God to take away the principle, bend, or natural inclination to sin, which, by His grace, will result in the end of the committing of all sins by those who choose and believe on Him. He came to removed the sin virus which would result in the removing or the taking away of our particular sins.

quote:

1 John 3:5 And ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin.

Reply Quote
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!